No announcement yet.

N=Val. Experiments in healing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh sadly they do mess with my fibro. I just stayed in denial about it for a while, trying to convince myself it was anything but potatoes This last round of N=Val has pretty much taken care of that. I can eat them in moderation but they are for me what chocolate is for some, a gateway drug. I have done sweet potato chips before and they do help. I am just going to have to dig my heels in and be done w/ the white potatoes. Yesterday was awful, the pain was bad enough that I ended up taking a pain pill which is very very very unusual for me. I felt a lot better today and it has been 3 days since I had potatoes in any form. I have tried kale chips and I like them but they just aren't the same thing. However, if this is my worst problem in life I am doing pretty damn good If I put potatoes in the 'only when out to eat' category I will be able to live.

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Have you tried making your own chips? Maybe thinly slice a sweet potato and fry them in coconut oil? Or even white potatoes if that's still your fancy. Or are you one of those Fibro patients that can't do any form of nightshade? Judging by your chip addiction, they can't be too bothersome for you or you wouldn't have a chip addiction. There are lots of recipes out there that show how to make your own potato chips.

I assume you've already tried kale chips?
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

It could be also be the oil they cook the chips in that is causing the fibro pain. Purhaps making home-made ones will help? Do you notice the same kind of pain if you just eat a baked white potato? If not then you must conclude its the oil. In that case making your own would solve the problem of the fibro pain - but you still have consider that white potatoes should be avoided during weight loss. I suggest going a week with ZERO white potato, then have a baked one with butter and see what happens.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

I like Tomi's suggestion. I've been thinking about how to make chips out of whole white potatoes, and my thinking is that you should bake them first to get them soft, then slice them super thin, then fry them in some coconut oil. The frying part should be quick since the potato is already cooked. if nothing else, you've got yourself some tasty American Fries.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

I have been buying them cooked in olive oil or avocado oil. Of course that's what the bag says and olive oil is not always pure olive oil. There was a post on facebook listing all the foods that fight inflammation and sweet potatoes was one of them. I am going to try to lean that way. Make sweet potato chips if I get desperate. I am so conditioned to snack in the evenings and just can't seem to get past it.

I woke up w/ a sore throat and have felt blechy all day. My parents are coming this weekend w/ my nieces and nephew so I am trying to get the house clean. It is not up to my mother's standards and probably will not be but there is still stuff that needs to be done. There is a damn ring in the toilet I can't get rid of. I think probably from lime in the water but nothing I do seems to work. So of course it will look like I didn't clean the toilet And tyring to figure out food. My youngest niece is allergic to dairy, eggs, tree nuts and peanuts. I have tried to get them to remove grains from her diet because she still is covered in eczema but I might as well be talking to a dog. Drives me crazy! Poor angel is always scratching and has allergy shiners. Sometimes she will cry just because it hurts so bad. And my father with his 4 heart attacks, 2 strokes and diabetes will just want junk. So it will be an interesting weekend. I am really excited to see the kids though I miss them. I am hoping it will not rain and we can do some fun outside stuff. Whine whine whine My life really isn't all that bad but it helps to come here and unload some days!

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
            I am day three without the lightbulb I needed
            LOL you just reminded me of when I was super broke a couple of years ago: we got to the point where we only had one lightbulb left, and my roommate and I would move the lightbulb from room to room.
            My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

Comment

My life really isn't all that bad but it helps to come here and unload some days!
              amen to that sister !!!!!!
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

oh that is too funny! I could so see myself doing that!

Originally posted by Ljphalen View Post
                LOL you just reminded me of when I was super broke a couple of years ago: we got to the point where we only had one lightbulb left, and my roommate and I would move the lightbulb from room to room.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I am so conditioned to snack in the evenings and just can't seem to get past it.
                  Let me encourage you to make the cream cheese clouds! Yummy! I make mine small - about the size of a hersheys kiss. I'll munch 6 or 8 of those in the evening and I'm full! Add some unsweetened coconut flakes if you like a bit of texture. I make mine with Xylatol, dark chocolate baking powder, a TB of honey, one cube of butter, one block of cream cheese, and 1 tsp vanilla. Sometimes I add the coconut flakes. I figured they are about 30 calories each, and almost all fat.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

That has possibilities! Maybe the fat will satisfy my cravings. I will try it this weekend. Thanks!

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    Let me encourage you to make the cream cheese clouds! Yummy! I make mine small - about the size of a hersheys kiss. I'll munch 6 or 8 of those in the evening and I'm full! Add some unsweetened coconut flakes if you like a bit of texture. I make mine with Xylatol, dark chocolate baking powder, a TB of honey, one cube of butter, one block of cream cheese, and 1 tsp vanilla. Sometimes I add the coconut flakes. I figured they are about 30 calories each, and almost all fat.

Age 48
                    height 5'3
                    SW 215 lbs
                    LW 172 lbs
                    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

First day of spring break. I woke up all stuffed up and achy feeling, coughing up gunk. A cup of coffee actually helped so I headed to the farmers market and publix in between the rain. Bought potato chips and gluten free chicken nuggets for lunch. Why you ask? Because I am an idiot says I. That said I bought nothing else bad. Some yummy home grown bacon and sausage, organic rib eyes for supper. Lots of veggies. Stuff to make cream cheese clouds. I am trying to comfort myself with the reminder that I eat better than the majority of the population. That doesn't mean its okay to continue w/ the splurges. The weather is dreary but supposed to be better by Monday. I will find something fun to do then and get outside. That always helps. Maybe a hike at Payne's Prairie or just a walk around a park somewhere. I lead such a boring life

Age 48
                      height 5'3
                      SW 215 lbs
                      LW 172 lbs
                      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Get out there and enjoy the day, girl!
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

I see light through the tangled vines!!

Just finished reading Mark's post for the day. I always enjoy his Sunday round ups. Then some scans through the forum. Not sure why but it has all inspired me. I am ready and raring to go. I have one week until school starts again and I want to be on my way to feeling sexy again Because to me feeling healthy is sexy. It's that vitality of living and laughing and loving that pushes us out of the mundane and into abundant life. So here we go....greasing myself with some yummy fat and sliding through the vines out to the other side........WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Love the attitude! Have a great week!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

cheering you on........................
                              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Congrats on the cert!!!! Yeah! So happy for you! ................... go easy on those margarita's!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X