No announcement yet.

N=Val. Experiments in healing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, I love your sig line: you know those things....? That's the one thing I fail wonderfully at...
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Comment

Thanks! I forgot to add that I put on a pair of capris today that two weeks ago were too tight and they were perfect. So something is happening right. I just wish I could really lose all this weight

Originally posted by PrimalWriter View Post
      I certainly don't rank as an expert, but being rather fond of vegetables, that looks pretty normal to me. Which is to say, I aim for 10 - 12 servings of veggies a day, and if I get them, I suppose I'm getting around 60 grams of carbohydrates...but I seriously don't count when I'm doing primal--I count servings. Does that make sense? I aim for 1 - 2 servings of fruit (and I don't eat things like bananas and mangoes and pineapple except rarely--I stick to berries and apples/pears/etc); seriously, 10-12 servings of non-starchy vegetables--basically, 4 servings at each meal--and my rule on protein is that for two servings of veggies, I eat a healthy serving (i.e. 4 ounces or so, depending on the food) of protein. Using that formula a few years ago, I dropped 50 pounds....roughly 40 in 4+ months, the other 10 over a couple more months.

Again, I'm no expert so YMMV - - but I will say it's easier to do that way if you actually like green things. I very rarely eat starchy veggies either--potatoes are a gateway drug for me so I have to be careful. Luckily, I love stuff like kale, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.
      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
      height 5'3
      SW 215 lbs
      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
      LW 172 lbs
      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalWriter View Post
        potatoes are a gateway drug for me so I have to be careful.
        Same here!

I hope you're both having a happy Friday!
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
          Thanks! I forgot to add that I put on a pair of capris today that two weeks ago were too tight and they were perfect. So something is happening right. I just wish I could really lose all this weight
          Such an awesome feeling!

Comment

It is an awesome feeling! And my jeans were looser too. However I have not lost one single pound. Sigh...why????" Trying to just stick with what I am doing. It's only been a couple of weeks and I know when you change things up it can take a little while.

Rode with another speech therapist yesterday for my home health care job. Very excited. Lots of new stuff to (re) learn and just a completely different population. Looking forward to the experience and the extra money

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Been a while since I have checked in. Life has been busy. School is nuts because I work with little people and waiting on my certification so I can start seeing patients at the second job. Very ready for that to happen. No exercise and my food choices are not that great. I think I should have stuck with the higher fat. I have been eating a lot of potatoes and I think they have increased my appetite and lowered my inhibitions Problem is I can't quite get past it. The very dreary weather does not help. So that is my story for the moment...hope everyone is doing well!!

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Come on - Val!!!! Jump back in with both feet - you can do this!

I'm still doing HFLC, but obviously vacation put a hiccup in my progress. I'm up 2 pounds from lowest primal and I'm really trying to get back down there.

White potatoes should be avoided for sure! Even CW diets say that. If you want potatoes you can do sweet or make fake mashed potatoes using cauliflower. I'm sure you know all that........... Just way to much starch in the white ones.

The dreary weather is a downer for sure! Oregon is pretty grey and cold this time of year. I haven't walked in 11 days - not since my last day of vacation - because its just so cold and ugly outside! I'm drinking a hot cut of tea and then I'm gonna try to force myself out the door! But first I have to go into the cold bedroom and change into my walking clothes - I don't think jammies are really appropriate attire!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Ugh...I just bought pecan pralines. I am losing it! I know I have to get back on it. And I know sweet potatoes over white. I am not buying any more white ones.

Yea you for getting out and moving. I hate dreary weather and it completely unmotivates me. Sadly the sunshine that came out is not motivating. Notmuch is. THanks for the encouragement though. I need it!! I can do this. I know I can I just can't get started.

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  Come on - Val!!!! Jump back in with both feet - you can do this!

I'm still doing HFLC, but obviously vacation put a hiccup in my progress. I'm up 2 pounds from lowest primal and I'm really trying to get back down there.

White potatoes should be avoided for sure! Even CW diets say that. If you want potatoes you can do sweet or make fake mashed potatoes using cauliflower. I'm sure you know all that........... Just way to much starch in the white ones.

The dreary weather is a downer for sure! Oregon is pretty grey and cold this time of year. I haven't walked in 11 days - not since my last day of vacation - because its just so cold and ugly outside! I'm drinking a hot cut of tea and then I'm gonna try to force myself out the door! But first I have to go into the cold bedroom and change into my walking clothes - I don't think jammies are really appropriate attire!

Age 48
                  height 5'3
                  SW 215 lbs
                  LW 172 lbs
                  GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                    Ugh...I just bought pecan pralines. I am losing it! I know I have to get back on it. And I know sweet potatoes over white. I am not buying any more white ones.

Yea you for getting out and moving. I hate dreary weather and it completely unmotivates me. Sadly the sunshine that came out is not motivating. Notmuch is. THanks for the encouragement though. I need it!! I can do this. I know I can I just can't get started.
                    I know the feeling. Hang in there and don't lose all hope. keep trying.

Comment

I have decided that I need to own my food choices. If I eat something "wrong" (like the apple pie I am enjoying this week) then I need to own up to up the fact that I'm not meeting my goals because of the choices I am making. Bottom line - I can lose weight or gain weight - it all depends on what my hand brings to my mouth. If I could just hang on the choice to lose weight and be healthy then I would not bring that bite of apple pie to my mouth. But when the desire for the pie becomes greater than the desire to lose weight - all hope dies.

So then, how do we keep the desire to be healthy above the desire for instant gratification?? Therein lies the key to weight loss. If I could figure out the answer to that question I would be a wealthy woman! I'd be on Oprah and Leno! I'd have Hollywood and Washington DC seeking my council! I need to figure out the answer...............
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        I know the feeling. Hang in there and don't lose all hope. keep trying.
                        Thanks Jenn! I am not giving up. How are you doing?

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                        I have decided that I need to own my food choices. If I eat something "wrong" (like the apple pie I am enjoying this week) then I need to own up to up the fact that I'm not meeting my goals because of the choices I am making. Bottom line - I can lose weight or gain weight - it all depends on what my hand brings to my mouth. If I could just hang on the choice to lose weight and be healthy then I would not bring that bite of apple pie to my mouth. But when the desire for the pie becomes greater than the desire to lose weight - all hope dies.

So then, how do we keep the desire to be healthy above the desire for instant gratification?? Therein lies the key to weight loss. If I could figure out the answer to that question I would be a wealthy woman! I'd be on Oprah and Leno! I'd have Hollywood and Washington DC seeking my council! I need to figure out the answer...............
                        I would pay good money for the answer! You are right of course that we need to own our food choices. And I do...I just can't figure out how to practice responsible ownership. I am lost in the jungle. I will continue to hack and fight my way out!

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

(Deep Breath) Okay. Have been reading the EMF thread for inspiration and it has provided a faint map out of this horrible jungle. Just went to the store and spent a ridiculous amount of money on good food (and some bad food). I have discovered gluten free chicken nuggets at Fresh Market. Chicken nuggets have always been one of my weaknesses and these are the only ones that are good. I bought one more box. Then no more!!! HAve also found potato chips cooked in avocado or olive oil. Again anything that involves fried potatoes are a weakness. I have been known to eat nothing but chicken nuggets and fried potatoes for several days. Also bought lots of fresh veggies, bacon, a boston butt for 1.59 a pound (was quite excited about that), bacon wrapped scallops, tuna, organic rib eye and organic ground beef. I was hungry what can I say. Couldn't quite afford all of it but oh well. The boston butt will become carnitas at some point in the next week. Anyone have any suggestions of what to go w/ the carnitas? I am used to tortillas and chips. Guac yes, anything else? Got some organic salami and cheese for lunches to go w/ a salad based on a recommendation in the EMF thread . Did not get up and go to the farmers market and my local market did not have any farm eggs so no eggs for the moment. Maybe I will make it to Wed farmers market. So far my N=1 has told me I cannot eat rice and white potatoes. They are like a drug. Once I start I justify all kinds of things. Did I happen to mention I bought a 3 muskateers yesterday? Damn jungle! Reaching out and grabbing me, waving all kinds of magical temptations in my eyes. It is evil! So...this is me starting over. And I need help! I can't keep eating like this! My hands are dry, I feel horrible, I look horrible,....The jungle is wearing me down....

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Rooting for you.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Thanks Pebbles!! I need all the rooting I can get

Age 48
                              height 5'3
                              SW 215 lbs
                              LW 172 lbs
                              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

With carnitas, guac, sour cream, salsa, lettuce. make your own fajita mix of onions, peppers and maybe some mushrooms if you like. I'm going to make carnitas on Tuesday and have leftover taco meat available for anyone who wants it. I've had some pork butt in the freezer for like a month and have been wanting to make this forever.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X