No announcement yet.

N=Val. Experiments in healing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love squating. I make it a point to squat with flat feet and get as low as I can as often as possible - especially when talking to my kids. Perfect opportunity.

I hope you're feeling well today.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I say, do not fear the carb flu! How you are feeling now (or rather lately) is FAR worse! The only way I could do this (and still do this) was to go in 100%. No potatoes, no sweet potatoe for me either! (still activates the sugar roller coaster for me!) No Corn, especially no corn chips! (I did an experiment and ate 3 tortilla chips, that was all I ate then tested my blood sugar almost 2 hours later and it was in the high 150's!!). I have a feeling you are like me, and type II diabetic/insulin resistant/metabolic syndrome. NOTHING gets better for us, no weight loss, mental clarity, relief from pain, until we remove everything that causes blood sugar spikes. Have you proved to yourself yet that you "can't have just one"? My experience was, 3 days cold turkey from everything I shouldn't have, and I was free of the cravings for those things. I support you fully in jumping in!! The water's great!!
      This is my journal page!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• I found something else that might help? Keep in mind, that a LOT of olive oil out there (and most likely the type that Trader Joes uses for their chips, they couldn't afford to fry them in 100% pure olive oil) is a blend of olive oil and other vegtable oils. I am re-posting something from my own journal, because I think you might be able to give yourself a break, and understand what is going on with you and the chips a little better. More reason to get away from them WHATEVER it takes!!

Some very interesting information, See How Vegetable Oils Make Us Fat | The Healthy Home Economist for the whole article

"While a very small amount of omega-6 fats are necessary for health, when consumed to excess as happens with the Western diet, vegetable oils contribute to overproduction of neuromodulatory lipids called endocannabinoids that are responsible for signaling hunger to the brain.

Guess what these little guys do?

They give you the munchies!

You may wonder why the name endocannabinoids sounds a bit like cannabis (weed). Weed is famous for giving people the munchies too so you can consider omega-6 vegetable oils the marijuana of fatty acids.

Now you know why you can’t stop eating a jumbo bag of chips made with corn, soy, or sunflower oil.

Aha!"

VERY good motivation to stay WAY away from anything and everything with vegtable oils in them (and things cooked in them! ugh, eating out just became even more challenging. I could ask for cooked in butter, but alas! I am lactose intollerant!!) We give ourselves a hard time over our "lack of control" not realizing how much is the interaction of evil food chemicals working on our brains to turn us into hard core junkies jonesing for a fix!!
        This is my journal page!
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          I love squating. I make it a point to squat with flat feet and get as low as I can as often as possible - especially when talking to my kids. Perfect opportunity.

I hope you're feeling well today.
          Thanks Jenn! My knees are in bad shape and when I first started all of this about 2 years ago now I could barely bend them. Squatting was out of the question. I can now go all the way down for about maybe 30 seconds. Not long but such an improvement! I am beginning to believe I will be able to squat again! Working w/ little ones, I hate not being able to get down on their level.

I do feel better. Not great, but I can feel improvement.

Originally posted by Wendy717 View Post
          I say, do not fear the carb flu! How you are feeling now (or rather lately) is FAR worse! The only way I could do this (and still do this) was to go in 100%. No potatoes, no sweet potatoe for me either! (still activates the sugar roller coaster for me!) No Corn, especially no corn chips! (I did an experiment and ate 3 tortilla chips, that was all I ate then tested my blood sugar almost 2 hours later and it was in the high 150's!!). I have a feeling you are like me, and type II diabetic/insulin resistant/metabolic syndrome. NOTHING gets better for us, no weight loss, mental clarity, relief from pain, until we remove everything that causes blood sugar spikes. Have you proved to yourself yet that you "can't have just one"? My experience was, 3 days cold turkey from everything I shouldn't have, and I was free of the cravings for those things. I support you fully in jumping in!! The water's great!!
          Thanks Wendy for all of the info! I had grits the other night, weighed the next day and yep, up a pound. Sigh...love grits but it must go. As far as the chips...I have avoided potato chips. I have been eating spinach/kale with masa corn chips, sweet potato/corn chips and just bought some regular old sweet potato chips. I confess I haven't checked by BS after sweet potatoes. Perhaps I should. The only way I like them cooked is like chips or shredded as a crust. It is the weekend that is the worst. I do okay during the week though I do struggle w/ night time snacking. This is purely emotional/mental. I have been using bacon as my crunchy but sadly I can even overdo bacon.

The journey shall continue!!
          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Hello my name is Val and I am addicted to food.

Last night I found myself eating all night long, finishing one 'snack' and heading to the kitchen for another. This is not uncommon behavior. It is time for it to end. Starting today I will have a midday meal with possible small snack in afternoon if hungry, an evening meal and small snack afterwards such as half an apple and pb or veggies and homemade dip. That is it. I will phase out of the bedtime snack in one month. No bacon for snack, no "healthy chips". This is ridiculous. It is just food and it controls my life. I hate it. It is time to be free.

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Two days in to the breaking food addiction game. Doing better than I expected. I am shocked at how often I think about food. And I am getting full quicker it seems. I have managed to put down the fork when I feel full and walk away with the promise to myself that the food will be there if I want it later. So far that has not happened.

But I am still so horribly tired! If I am not thinking about food I am thinking about sleep. Not conducive to an active lifestyle. I am not who I want to be

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• In keeping with the title of my journal I continue to experiment in trying to find healing..Over the weekend I ate grits and potato chips cooked in canola oil. I feel like I ate alot of carbs in general but looking back it was prob no more than 200 grams a day, which is a lot for me. Saturday I took about an hour walk outside at Manatee Springs State Parks, it was an easy walk and I didn't push it at all. Got up and went to church Sunday feeling good. About half way through the service I became exhausted. From one minute to the next, I was fine and then suddenly I felt so fatigued I could barely stay awake. Got home and laid down for awhile with a book, finally made myself get up and do some cooking for the week (meatza and parmesan pork chops, neither of which I was overly impressed with) Woke up yesterday feeling as if I had been beat all over, horrible muscle aches and headache. Missed work (again) and did nothing all day long. I did count calories and carbs-appx 1300 and 70, respectively. Woke up today late but with no pain and feeling much better. No clue what that means. I did have episodes of loose tummy but I increased my magnesium too and took two together instead of spreading them out. I think that is what did it. So...experiments continue. So very very very tired of being sick and tired!

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• If you are taking Magnsium citrate, it has a laxative effect if too much is taken at one time...

Comment

• lol...so I found!!

it works fine if spread out though, just have to pay attention.

my uncle had a fish fry yesterday. I had one piece of fish, two hushpuppies, cheese grits and key lime cake...now inhave a food hangover. I am beginning to realize that corn is a bigger problem than I knew. I had always thought it was a "safe cheat". apparently not. The frustrating thing is I want to be able to socialize and enjoy these periodic get togethers. I guess I can as lomg as I know there is a price to pay

Age 48
                    height 5'3
                    SW 215 lbs
                    LW 172 lbs
                    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Well the good news is that it's possible your reactions to corn are temporary and will subside once your body has sufficiently healed. I don't know of this analogy is accurate at all, but I think about the whole clean eating ==> food sensitivity like healing a wound or bruise. Sometimes when a serious injury is sustained, the body is so full of stress and adrenalin it doesn't register at first. Then when the healing begins and you pour hydrogen peroxide or get a bone set, it hurts! People often self medicate on SAD too (whether with OTC drugs, caffeine, whatever). Days later and the pain is gone until you bump the bruise or otherwise aggravate the injury, until one day it's just gone.

I'd still say corn isn't exactly "safe" but I don't mind small amounts of masa. I actually react better to it than oatmeal (or rice if you count instant best sleep ever as a downside). Don't understand that one at all. ://

Comment

• Thank you RR! That's a very hopeful thought. I am trying the resistant starch thing now, starting because I just do not want to give up potatoes. the last couple of week I have eaten potatoes or rice every day but kept carbs below 100 (average 80) and calories around 13-1400. I started looking at resistant starch this weekend and went back over the PHD. Obviously there were days that I ate more (see last post) but overall I have been steady. I woke up today feeling great! I don't hurt, I have energy, I feel positive. It is raining here and yucky but I still feel good. this is most likely a combination of things such as the Armour finally kicking in, moving more, weather improving and spiritually healing but I hope it is a trend towards better health.

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                        X