No announcement yet.

N=Val. Experiments in healing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take trazodone which is an anti depressant for sleep. Obviously it is not working and I need to make an appt to talk about quitting it. Not sure of the side effects of just quitting. Tomi does the Knock Out leave you loopy at all the next day? My body reacts so weirdly to things like that. Doc I have tried melatonin once and I laid awake wired all night. Been to scared to try it since then. Gwamma I am taking magnesium. Thanks for all the advice! I make sure my room is dark, turn off tv/computer and read for at least an hour before laying down. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks getting up in the morning has been easier which is a big one. Ever since I was dx w/ fibro mornings have been hell. I went to the pool today and I am hoping that will help sleep tonight. I think maybe that is why SUnday was so good but Monday night was horrible. Last night was better. I know I don't get enough outside time. I really wish I had a garden to get out and work in. Something very hard and physical. Oh well...maybe one day.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Val - I don't think that you should stop anti depressants cold turkey. I am led to believe that they should be reduced gradually. But your Doctor would be your first step for advice there.
      Do you drink coffee ???? I could never have any after mid-day. If I did I would noticably be insomniacked that night. I have recently gone off coffee to see if that helped with my sleep, and it did, so I have introduced it back in slowly................
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• the Knock Out has 3 mg Melatonin - so maybe you shouldn't take it if you've had a bad reaction. On the other hand, I used to have bad reactions to Melatonin also - I would wake up 2 hours after falling asleep and be totally buzzed for about an hour before I could fall asleep again. I didn't take it again for years. It might be the straight melatonin that caused the bad reaction. This is blend of Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Melatonin, Glycine, L-Theanine, Valarian Extract and GABA. I take 1.5 pills an hour before bed and I'm always ready to sleep in about an hour. Here's the manufacture website for it. I pay $21 for 50 pills but often can find it 50% off.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• another thought Val, are you using MCToil, or coconut oil ?????
          Just a thought because when I tried the MCT early in the morning, I noticed after a week that I wasn't sleeping. In fact I was wired night after night. Stopped it and managed to sleep again......................I didn't have the same reaction with coconut oil thou.
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I want go off the anti-depressants cold turkey. I do drink coffee but nothing after 11 at the latest. I am very careful about that I use coconut oil only. Tomi I will look into the Knock-Out. Last night i woke up around 2:30 with my whole body twitching. Normally this just happens when I am going to sleep. Arrrgghhh...I just want good sleep
            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• You are so right, getting those zeds is crucial to recovering

Are you taking a Tricyclic? That is the preferred treatment. There is significant risk if you suddenly stop taking these types of drugs and you should taper down very slowly if you want to come of

Are you exercising? Weights once a week combined with daily stretching (steady state, relaxed so-called 'developmental' stretching is best with focus on tissue release.)

Have you considered using a self-myofascial release roller? might be painful at first but a highly effective treatment that will release endorphins and help with pain whilst calming the nervous system and aids sleep

keep those sugars right down, get good fat in as much as possible

Comment

• Danged spammers... I reported him/her/it...

I love my foam roller! KR is right. It'll hurt like the dickens at first, but it's worth it to release all those adhesions. Also check into Active Release Techniques. Some chiropractors do it. Mine does. It hurts horribly, but afterwards things are really loosened up. Think trigger point massage therapy on steroids. They also have a thing called Cold Laser Therapy that is supposed to help with trigger points and pain as well, but from what I understand is not covered by insurance.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• yup

there are a whole bunch of manual therapies that can help but stretching, weight training and rolling will do masses of good and I recommend it everyone

Comment

• I've never heard of the roller thing............. more info on that please Maybe a link to a good site for info or purchase?
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Start here hun

Benefits of Foam Rolling and Self-Myofascial Release

Comment

• This is good info the runner......... but is there any info as to how this technique can benefit the person with fibromyalgia? I would think hitting on the tender points would be extremely painful, and except for the few really tough ones, most would give it up to avoid that pain.

I will do some research on the topic......... thanks for bringing it up
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• try this

Redirect Notice

Comment

• "This study demonstrated that massage-myofascial release
                            therapy reduces the sensitivity to pain at tender points in
                            patients with fibromyalgia, improving their pain perception.
                            Release of fascial restrictions in these patients also reduces
                            anxiety levels and improves sleep quality, physical function,
                            and physical role. Massage-myofascial program can be
                            considered as an alternative and complementary therapy that
                            can achieve transient improvements in the symptoms of
                            these patients."

Comment

• you can find a foam roll at Target or Walmart, or buy one on line. They're cheap if you get the generic white roller. I'd recommend a 6 inch roller for large muscles and a 3-4 inch roller for little muscles or areas where more care should be given (like the low back).

You can also get "The Stick" (or the alternate brand: Tiger Tail) which is a hand held roller which will offer varying degrees of pressure on the areas.

With the foam roller, the pressure is provided by your body being placed on the roller. The Stick is place ON your body using your hands to provide the pressure - much like rolling out dough - allowing you to provide light or heavy pressure as needed.

I used all three - a 6", 3 1/2" roller and The Stick.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                                I would think hitting on the tender points would be extremely painful, and except for the few really tough ones, most would give it up to avoid that pain.
                                As a non-fibro suffer, *I* will attest that it hurts to do this, unless you keep up with it. I'm hit or miss with it, but have noticed that if I keep up with it, it is less and less painful each time - especially if I do it more than once a day - as the adhesions don't have a chance to build up again.

GREAT article, KR.

Comment

Working...
                                X