No announcement yet.

Primal wife equals primal life. Itchy's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab cakes- I grew up inOhio and know almost exactly where you live and about the need for well water, which is why I asked the question. Sad to say it but moving now may be your best bet.

Comment

I wish I had an answer for you both. I don't. The shale zone that I have worked on northern B.C. is "crown land". Crown land isn't occupied, we are talking vast wilderness. If it wasn't for us and the loggers, there wouldn't be anyone there.

The conventional wells are all over the province, but they are much less disruptive, and there is much less potential for ground water contamination. (The fractures are very unlikely to puncture the cap, so the oil and gas stays put). This will eventually change though, and the large scale shale extraction will move into more populated areas here too.

Crabbcakes, I would never advise that someone move, but I would not want them going after shale oil/gas on my land or in my neighborhood.

With good engineering, good regulatory oversight, and responsible oil companies and services, the environmental effects of shale oil/gas should be minimal. Unfortunately, the booming states such as yours are lacking in of these things. Unfortunately the Oil lobby is extremely powerful there and I don't see the possibility of better oversight in your future.

The biggest problem is that the world is running out of ways to increase production (we can just barely maintain it), and worldwide demand is still increasing. As production decreases, the world is only going to get more desperate and go after harder and harder deposits. The environmental damage they do will increase in step with the difficulty of extraction.

Also Crabbcakes, I am not at all sick of your rant. In no way do I represent the oil companies or condone their indiscretions when they occur. I worry about these things probably much more than the average person in fact. I merely make a living much closer to the source than most. (everything in the modern world depends on cheap oil, and our entire economies are merely reflections of how well we use that energy).

I believe that our dependance on oil is the biggest challenge facing us by far.
      "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

I will be 6 weeks tomorrow following a strict Paleo diet.

I woke up this morning with my first headache since changing my lifestyle. Before going Paleo I was having frequent and severe headaches. I've had x-rays, cat scans, and cameras put up my nose. No explanation was found.

Last night for supper, I had a meal that had a small amount of (non-primal) mayo in it. I wonder if the veg oil is the culprit?

Anyway, on the positive side I am down 13lbs since Jan 1. From my measurements, I am estimating that I am about 15% bf. I am wondering if my body will find a "set-point", or if I will have to begin adding calories at a certain point. I consistently eat around 3000 calories/day, and am never hungry. My macros are probably putting me in and out of ketosis however, so it may just be a matter of a few more veggies..

Comment

Not feeling too caveman this evening, I aggravated a lower back injury today while deadlifting. Stupid mistake, I knew I was too heavy after my first set, but tried to push the second one anyway...

Primal Blueprint Law #9: Avoid stupid mistakes.

Anyway back to work tomorrow, a pretty full day (at least its day shift) and about 800kms driving. I hope the drive doesn't wreak havoc with my now re-injured back.

Comment

If you ever learn to avoid stupid mistakes, please let me in on the secret! Although I think I am doing less stupid things since going primal.

Maybe the mayo had sugar in it? You could be really sensitive to sugar if you never eat it. It's amazing how much sugar the manufacturers can pack into processed food.

I really enjoy reading your posts, although I don't have anything intelligent to add. Thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff so thoroughly and clearly.
            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
              If you ever learn to avoid stupid mistakes, please let me in on the secret! Although I think I am doing less stupid things since going primal.

Maybe the mayo had sugar in it? You could be really sensitive to sugar if you never eat it. It's amazing how much sugar the manufacturers can pack into processed food.

I really enjoy reading your posts, although I don't have anything intelligent to add. Thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff so thoroughly and clearly.
              Thank you.

So much of the information we get these days is "spin". My goal with the oilfield posts are to try and get people to understand. I really feel bad that the industry is causing so much chaos in Crabbcake's community, and maybe I can help her make more informed decisions about what to do about it.

Oil and gas isn't good or evil, its neutral. Its what we do with it that matters, and we have been very careless how we've used it. As the conventional oil runs out (and it is) the world will become more and more desperate for replacements. That desperation, not the oil itself, is the cause of the troubles that Crabbcake's community faces. Every new technology used to extract will be more costly, both in dollars and environmental impact. I am afraid it will get worse before it gets any better.

Comment

Plans changed yesterday, and I ended up home another day. Good and bad I guess. Steady bearing went in my truck, so I'm leaving it behind this time around.

Leaving today - travel only. Work tomorrow.

I got a good IF in today approx 18hours. Calaries for the last couple of days have been a bit higher around the 3600 mark. I always come in much lower with an IF day, so today will average me back down. My back injury is already feeling a little better today, glad I didn't have the 800km drive yesterday.

Hung a pull-up bar in the cave today, another small step in my quest to replace the gym with home workouts. Will build a squat rack in the garage next.

Comment

Good bye Itchy-Until we meet again <3

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

See you soon babe

Comment

45 days since I've gone Primal and I'm having a rough morning. There is a free breakfast at the hotel I'm staying at, so I loaded up my plate with sausage, bacon and hard boiled eggs. About halfway through my meal, I bite into my third egg, and its sour put me off my whole meal. (But I still managed to get a bit more bacon down).

I throw the rest out, and pour myself a coffee to go. I'm about half-way through my coffee, and I get a mouthful of grounds. Not a couple grounds, a mouthful. When I get to work I dump the remainder onto the ground to take a look, and my coffee is about a quarter full of coffee grounds!!!

Feeling slightly ill all morning. I do my best, but it sure sucks relying on others to cook for you all the time. Anyway, its a fairly easy day - supervise a rig move from Grande Prairie to Edson - easy shift.

I'm hoping to find a gym that will let me drop-in later too, I could use a good workout.

Comment

Yesterday was 7 weeks without alcohol and today will be 7 weeks eating Paleo.

So far my switch to Paleo eating has gone incredibly well. As I have mentioned previous I have cured my migraines, my GI troubles, my panic attacks, and my depression. I've lost 11lbs, and more importantly began to change my body measurements. Another thing that I've managed to quit (that I was a little embarrassed to talk about) is finger-nail biting. At 42 yo, I have been unable to stop chewing my nails up until now. It might not sound like a big deal, but to me it is huge.

I am becoming stronger, physically, mentally and emotionally. I will never go back to a SAD diet.

Anyway, I missed a job this morning because my truck is in the shop. Add lost wages to the cost of the repair, ugh. On the bright side, its a couple of days at home with my family that I would have otherwise spent out of town. There is an upside to everything, you just have to look at things from the right perspective.

One thing I still have to work on is getting myself out from behind this computer. A trip to the gym, a coffee with my Dad, painting my daughters room, and a haircut will be a good start...

Comment

Gym for some heavy lifts and tabata rows. Did the workout fasted, then home for some Primal breakfast.

Half cup of chopped onion
                          5 cups of mixed greens (spinach, chard, baby bok choy)
                          1 cup sliced mushrooms
                          1 large tomato diced
                          tsp basil
                          tsp rosemary
                          tsp tarragon
                          half tsp coarse kosher salt
                          dash red pepper flakes
                          2 tbsp unsalted butter
                          1 tbsp coconut oil
                          5 free run omega eggs

Fry vegetables (except tomato) and herbs in oil until soft and greens fully wilted
                          Add five eggs, don't break yolks, add tomato
                          Cover and cook until egg whites harden, sprinkle with red pepper flakes

Serve

IMG-20130219-00397.jpg

793 calories
                          67% Fat
                          19% Protein
                          14% Carbs
                          100% Delicious

Comment

Yum that's my kind of breakfast, though I could only eat about half that amount!
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                              Another thing that I've managed to quit (that I was a little embarrassed to talk about) is finger-nail biting. At 42 yo, I have been unable to stop chewing my nails up until now. It might not sound like a big deal, but to me it is huge.
                              Major triumph, itchy! I know how hard something of that nature is - I have my own little thang that I would like to conquer, too, and I have noticed that the closer to really strict Primal I get and stay, when I do that, the better that thang gets (meaning the less I engage in that). And I think you are hugely courageous for mentioning it.
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                                Major triumph, itchy! I know how hard something of that nature is - I have my own little thang that I would like to conquer, too, and I have noticed that the closer to really strict Primal I get and stay, when I do that, the better that thang gets (meaning the less I engage in that). And I think you are hugely courageous for mentioning it.
                                Thanks.

Its pretty crazy to consider.

What role did diet have in my nail-biting? (I consider it a mental issue like OCD). Have I NEVER been truly healthy? Or maybe the diet didn't have anything to do with it at all and I'm just riding a wave of resolve after changing diet and quitting drinking?

Comment

Working...
                                X