Journal of a Weary Dragon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tue 2/4

Yesterday was on off day. I didn't count, ate when hungry, stopped at 18:00. I was just under UD cals +10%. Weighed this am & up 1 lb. I give up up!

DD today. Slight hunger this am but nothing to worry about. Am home today so it might be a challenge. Have switched butter in broth for CO in prep for no dairy (Have worked out I have approx 3mth worth of cheese so it will be a while - amazing how long everything lasts when you actually weight it out). Menus work out at meal 1 (UD) 650 cals, meal 2 (UD/DD) 550 cals. Butter will be used as a snack but only if needed. Have also swapped out a HCWC for CO in meal 2 when there were 2. At the end of 3 weeks I may ditch the HCWC completely & save another 150 cals. I am fairly convinced that the only way to lose this weight is to do VL Cal but I'm going to take the slow approach At least I know I am healing my body sticking to IF & proper fasting not just eating less (NB: there is some thoughts going around in the forum that you don't have to fast properly just eat under 500 cals during the day. That just means you get the benefit of low cal & not the full physiological benefits of fasting but each to there own)

Comment

• Ghee - put butter in a crockpot on low (I leave the leave slightly off). First the butter melts, then you can see the milk solids come to the top. Scrape off. Run through strainer. Refrigerate. Totally awesome ghee!!!!

CO - for me (and probably only me), I do better with animal products. Coconut, avocado, olives, etc. are a no go, except in small quantities.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
        [U]I am fairly convinced that the only way to lose this weight is to do VL Cal [/I]
        I'm not either. Except, I stall that way too. However, if I could actually lose enough and then either stall for a few (or, my gain doesn't overset my losses), then I could be okay with things. I just keep playing with the same pounds!
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Thx for the recipe. shame you can't handle CO as I suspect that's a sure fire way of getting into & staying in NK. Have you tried MCT oil?

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
            I just keep playing with the same pounds!

Me too. It's getting boring

Comment

• I haven't yet tried MCT oil. Maybe soon.

I will finish out week 4 of my JUDDD trial (too hard to change things now, even if I wanted to, with an upcoming business trip). If there are no losses, I'm considering low calorie for 2 weeks. Of course, I should probably give UD/DD 2 more weeks to test my theory, but don't know if I have the heart for that...
              -- Ruth

Comment

• If you are going to go VL cal I would recommend reading Lyle McDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook before you start. I haven't read it yet but I have read the reviews of a lot of people who have. Its muscle sparing but he is not primal & he's very egotistical so be warned.

BTW it seems PSMF is not a quick fix either but I guess you know that. I will do it when I have emptied the freezer & cupboards of all non grass fed meats/fish. (It will probably be when my local farm slaughter their next lot of cows which wil be a while yet as they have just done some)

Meanwhile I am taking a break from worrying about actually losing. I just want to get to grips with fasting long term for health reasons. I am tracking to gather data but have stopped worrying about the results.

I'm going to concentrate on getting my shoulder better so I can LHT & completing the C25K because I want to actually achieve something & its been on my to do list for ever, chronic cardio or not

PS DO you think 4 weeks is long enough to know if something is not working?
                Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

• Something similar is on my list. Mom and I want to walk a half marathon this fall (and, it's almost hiking season), so I need to start getting out again. Also, DH wants to start LHT, so we will start mid-April (he's traveling next week, so no point really in starting this week!).
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• This dragon is very weary of trying to lose weight

For the first time since starting EMF I have succumbed to over eating on protein. The DD was non existent partly I think because I have become disillusioned with the whole weight loss thing. I have lost a grand total of 8lb since January, most of which was lost within the first 3 weeks. Since then I have bounced up & down the same 2lb. I also over ate on the cream but that was not mindless. When I got to the point of giving in to the protein I decided to eat what I wanted & start again tomorrow.

I am going to call it a refeed, not be guilty & look forward. Interestingly, now I have added it all up I have only eaten Pg 75, Cg 11, Fg 178 Cals 1971 (15-2-82) KR 2.7. (NB: With a KR of 2.7 I would love to be able to test right now – I assume that over eating on the protein negates the KR measurement)

I feel uncomfortably full, the stomach is very tight & I will be happy not to do this again for the next 15 weeks.

PS: I have firmly reconciled myself to having to do PSMF to lose this weight. But I want to do so with nutritionally dense food & as painlessly as possible as I suspect it will take a while. At the same time I think it is important to LHT which I can’t do right now. So these 15 weeks are going to be a transition period. The daily tracking will be purely a data collection exercise. I am not bothered about losing the weight, just easing into IF, emptying the freezer & getting my shoulder up to speed. Any lb lost will be a bonus.

I have also just entered a charity 5k in 15 weeks time.
                    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• I have paid the price for my gluttony. Terrible sleep & stomach cramps all night. Its only 4am & I feel like hell. Back on the straight & narrow today

UPDATE: No gain after yesterday which has really surprised me. Maybe it's yet to come. On the positive side I have embarked on my first true DD. I have eaten my meal slightly earlier than planned as I was stressed about other things & needed to eat but that will just give me a longer fast until my UD. Am planning on lots of tea between now & tomorrow lunch time to make up for it
                      Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                        BTW it seems PSMF is not a quick fix either but I guess you know that. I will do it when I have emptied the freezer & cupboards of all non grass fed meats/fish. (It will probably be when my local farm slaughter their next lot of cows which wil be a while yet as they have just done some)
                        Yeah. I think the best course of action is to save this for a bit. I'm leaning toward one more cycle of UD/DD. I'm not really looking forward to low fat again. Also, not sure what I think about his idea of a "carb refeed". I can see calorie "refeed", but carbs do not appear to be my friend. Or, maybe my problem is that I have basically eliminated them for the last 3 months

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                        Meanwhile I am taking a break from worrying about actually losing. I just want to get to grips with fasting long term for health reasons. I am tracking to gather data but have stopped worrying about the results.
                        I wish I could be so zen

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                        PS DO you think 4 weeks is long enough to know if something is not working?
                        I don't know. Seemed like a month should be ample time, depending on where one came from. Maybe because I've been at this diet game for so long, 1 month truly isn't enough. What I find so frustrating is that I still have 30 pounds to lose. I would expect at least some initial "good" results. It's not like I'm working on "vanity" pounds here... But, maybe, after losing ~ 80 pounds (over the past 5 years, so not the speed of light), my body (like my mind) is just plumb tired.
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• So sorry you aren't feeling well Hope the day got better.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                            Or, maybe my problem is that I have basically eliminated them for the last 3 months.
                            I have eliminated carbs for over a year now & have no intention of going back. If I did a carb refeed it would be fruit & veg only but I’m not sure I want to. I need to get the book & read it properly but its quite expensive for an ebook I think so will wait until I am ready to start. I think the idea for the refeed is basically a leptin reset so I’m going to have a look at that protocol as well. As with anything, I think you need to pick & mix a bit.

Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss

The Deload Week: What It Is, How to Do it, and Why It Might Help You Get Stronger

Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                            I wish I could be so zen .
                            Necessary for sanity

What I find so frustrating is that I still have 30 pounds to lose. …... It's not like I'm working on "vanity" pounds here.
                            It must be a thing about the last 30lbs. I’m glad it’s not just me but sorry for you. That’s why I’m taking 15 weeks out to do other things & focus on health. I’ve found it interesting that the ADF thread is all about weight loss & no one seems to mention the health benefits if you do it long term. Can't wait to get my hands on Michael Moseley’s book which I think goes into it in detail.

So sorry you aren't feeling well Hope the day got better.
                            It did thanks, I didn’t gain & my first real DD is going well. I have also added to my spreadsheet to show how long my fast & eating window actually are for inspiration.

PS: I'm glad you decided to do JUDDD for another cycle. At least you will know if its good for you then
                            Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM. Reason: links added

Comment

• Let me know what you think of the Moseley book. Neither of my libraries has a copy, although it's only $10 on kindle, so some day it may end up in my library

Am reading Durkan (my library did have this ebook), as he was often mentioned in PSMF. While I don't agree with a lot of his premises (mostly from personal experience), he does have some interesting things to say. One thing, and I haven't gotten to the details yet, is that he mentions a transition phase after you lose all of your weight before you go to maintenance. He says 5 days (of whatever this phase it that I haven't read yet) for each 1 pound you lose. Makes sense. After that, you do his version of 6:1 (his is 1 day of almost total protein, 7 of "normal" eating); Moseley and others in the fasting world end up with something similar.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• Makes sense. I read somewhere that doing a leptin reset after a VLC diet helps get the metabolism back on track. I had a quick look at it yesterday & it seems to be mainly extreme paelo & would work after my version of PSMF. Not sure about eating first thing though or his rule of no exercise before breakfast as I prefer to exercise then, other wise it tends not to happen. Still, Jack Kruse is not against IF just after breakfast so it might work for me.

When I do PSMF I'm going to do 12 week RMR & BF tests. When my 15 weeks are up I will see how the freezer stocks are then work out a start date (I want to clear the freezer out so every thing is grass fed etc before I start). Now I have taken the pressure off for the next few weeks I'm actually looking forward to it.

It's amazing how long its taking to get through protein now I'm not eating much. It just goes to show how much money is wasted on food we don't actually need.

Re Dukan. He was very big here in the UK just before the royal weeding as Catherine's mum did Dukan to lose weight. Funny but it didn't last long. You never her of him now. Can't say I know much about it though. I will be interested in your synopsis when you have finished.

Mosley has gone onto 6:1 now I believe, as he has no more weight to lose. I'm not sure if the health benefits would continue with such a low Fast turnover. That's why I want to read the book.

PS: Hope JUDDD is going ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X