No announcement yet.

Kris' Place for Primal rantings because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a good talk with the Husband last night. While right now we can't dictate where we live or for how long, we have agreed that we will try to get home to Tampa next and stay as long as possible. That's helpful to me in order to begin my own career. Now I know it's not all about him all the time in his mind. My own feelings of happiness and fulfillment and contentment will help our marriage and family be stronger. That's good!

The Sweet Boy told me this morning that he wasn't very hungry at lunch yesterday. Why? Because he ate eggs, spinach, and feta for breakfast and still felt full-ish. He did eat, he got the fish nuggets (not the salad he thought he would get) so not the best choice, but not completely horrible. The food at the boys' school is pretty decent; they grow their own salad and lunch veggie garden which is AWESOME. Yes, the other main dishes are pre-done, district provided but they've made an effort to make it better than average. The breadings on the fish nuggets or chicken strips are thin, the fish and chicken are a better quality in response to past parent complaints (though still not fantastic; take what you can get, right?), and the Boy doesn't mind eating veggies. The mashed potatoes are made in the cafeteria though they put gravy on them (he scrapes off the gravy layer).

Anyway, he had that for lunch but not all of it. Then for dinner he made mac and cheese from a box (yuck) but ate little of it. Again, he said he wasn't particularly hungry because he had eaten well during the day. And no cookies or crackers or junk after school. Best part? NO HEADACHE! So again this morning he chose to eat eggs and spinach. We'll keep going with this. I am so happy and so is he! Getting one kid on board make it so that I must make good dinners each evening, no excuses. In turn, it makes eating Primal much easier for me. Win-win!

Now, to get the family on board with a future move to one of the Hawaiian islands...I dream of constant warm, mostly sunny days (note to self: research the island for the correct local geography for the sunnier area) with nearby beaches and hiking/running trails in a neighborhood with people I would like to get to know so I am more motivated to spend more time outdoors in the sun, moving often. This dream may not happen for a good long time, not until the kids are all out of school, but I will keep working toward it anyway.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Comment

Gotta get my mindset in gear. I will say no and mean it. No more taking the "easier for the family" way out. I will make more salads, actually I will prep a large salad bowl that is easy to just take from so I have no excuse. If grocery shopping with the family, I will put back any "foods" that are tempting to me to eat in mass quantities (goodbye, M&Ms). I will buy ingredients to make my own food instead of having to check every label and getting upset when finding HFCS or unpronounceable things in prepared items.

I will stop the eye-rolling when the husband picks out his frozen pizzas or chips or Hamburger Helper. It does nothing but cause tension and makes me seems like a snobby bitch. However, I will continue to talk with the kids about the benefits of real food versus packaged foods. I will stop talking so poorly about their oatmeal or bread; it makes them feel bad and I should never, as their mom, make them feel guilty about food choices. That leads to them having a food complex. However, I will continue to educate them on the benefits of questioning what others tell them (yes, even question me because I am not perfect nor do I know all). And I will encourage them to eat more like I try to eat (well, the good foods).

I have made a number of terrible food decisions over the past 6 months or so and it has affected me. I feel guilty about eating non-Primally which causes me to eat more of those things (especially "treats"). I have gained fat and pounds. Why is it so hard to do the right thing, food-wise? Probably if I read the recent articles about what food companies do to our food supply to make us crave and need more of what they sell, I would understand more. Ultimately it comes down to ME! I hold the power over what I put into my body; I can make the right decisions. I have the responsibility to do so.

I have felt fat and gross over the past week and I have no one to blame but me. Today I take back my health and wellness. I will write a plan, I will follow the plan, and I will become a true success story.

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Comment

I've had my first real illness in about 2 years. Achy, sore, fever, tired, run down, just felt awful. It started coming on Friday and after work I laid down on the couch for a nap. I felt achy but just thought it was because I couldn't get a good nap before the hockey game. Then before the game we went to dinner at 5 Guys and I didn't even want my usual bunless burger. I had maybe 6 fries. That should have been a clue. Saturday was an iffy day as well. I was tired so just laid down all day on the couch with a couple of brief naps. I felt lazy and guilty. But by Sunday I got why I was feeling that way. By noon I was a goner. Even before at the commissary the cashier told me I needed lipstick because I had no color in my lips (love the Filipino ladies!). My regular temp is a bit low (97.something versus the "normal" 98.6) so when my fever was near 102, that's the equivalent of 103 for others, and I truly felt it.

So, the husband told me to go see the doc. I asked why?? Seriously, what's a doctor going to tell me? You have a fever, you need rest and water. Pay the bill on the way out. Nope, I could figure this out myself. I had a fever, meaning my body was fighting off something, so I should rest and let the fever do its job. I had zero appetite (I had eggs and bacon for breakfast around 8AM, but after that until just now, nothing) so I ate nothing. No big deal. I was quite hungry this morning, even though I am still feeling tired (no fever) and a bit achy, so I ate. I drank water but it never seemed to be enough. I took no medicine so I could let my body do the work it is meant to do and I am already sure that by the end of the day I will be just fine.

Back in the pre-Primal days, I would have tried some medicine and my illness would have dragged on and on. The husband still likes to give the kids medicine (Motrin and Tylenol) to bring down the fever and "get them better." He was upset when I didn't give the mids to The Boy when he was sick a couple months ago. I swear the meds just made the flu stick around longer (oh, and he had the vaccine, I didn't and never do).

Okay, ranting over. I need a mid-morning nap. Maybe I'll dream of my happy life on Kauai (oh, one day...).

Comment

Nice journal, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. My boyfriend is sort of the same as your husband, he's on board with Primal eating, until he gets a craving for pizza or something.

Just curious, are you located in Savannah? Thats where I am and it sure sounds like it from your postings.
          5'4/125

Comment

Hi CMJG! I am in Charleston, actually, so about 2 hours away. I wish my husband would consider trying Primal. He is in no way on board. He eats it for dinner because that's what I make, but his breakfast is usually oatmeal (the pre-sweetened, microwave type), bagels, or english muffins. Lunch is often a junk/fast food disaster (that means the on base food court which is crap pizza, Charley's cheesesteaks, or BK) or whatever the club is serving (the worst salad I've ever tasted or chicken fingers). Since I was sick this weekend, he was in charge of feeding the family and they ate take-out, Dunkin Donuts, tuna casserole (which is tuna, noodles, canned cream of mushroom soup, and cheese, no veggies), frozen pizza. He has even told me not to worry about serving him veggies as he doesn't really like many of them, and I never see him eat fruit. He's happy to live on Pizza Rolls, bagels, and take out foods. It's really hard to get my kids to eat better when the dad eats this way. They do at least like fruits (well, two of them, particularly the Girl) and veggies (mostly the Sweet Boy). And it all makes it that much more difficult for me when he complains about our food/grocery budget being higher because I need to buy 3 dozen eggs each time, and salad stuff, and spinach, and beef, and chicken, and, and, and...Drives me mad.

Breathe....

Well, I will show him that my way is better by saying Fuck It to the food budget, getting the nutrition I need, losing the fat and looking good. I've lost a little bit over the past 2 weeks, and I wasn't eating optimally the entire time. I am trying to keep to a Whole Primal 30/Sugar Free way of eating to break the bad habits. I seriously suspect the husband loved each time I'd show up with a small packet of M&Ms (comfort food), then he'd buy a regular sized bag, then I'd be tempted and eat them all. And quickly. That's not helping me win converts, now, is it? If I'm going to talk it, I have to walk it. I do well at school when I teach. I always bring a bowl of lettuce and cucumber, sometimes with parmesan and olive oil and vinegar, sometimes with mayo-ed tuna. Dinner is nearly always a good Primal meal, but I have had the occasional pizza or burger on a bun. Not too often, however. And breakfast is always, always eggs and bacon, often with spinach and feta.

The farmers' market returns here in about a month so I am going to put aside extra cash for good meats and chicken and eggs. Being sick these past few days have curbed the sugar cravings (no appetite at all) so I think I have a great way to conquer this. Maybe being sick was a bit of a blessing, maybe meant to be. Oddly, I have had a strange urge to get out in the sun and walk or ride a bike. I've never really had urges like that before. This is a great thing!

Picture in my head for keeping Primal: I look and feel great living a fulfilling life on Kauai, riding my bike or walking to get my food, hiking, being on the water on a SUP or maybe a kayak, or just running a bit on the beach, being in the sunshine. Now I just need to get my husband to agree to this, oh, and find a job there. I know, I will have to wait for the kids to all graduate high school first, so I've got some time. I might be old by then!

Comment

I hope things get better and he comes around! My boyfriend loves starting his day off with Eggos, PB, and bananas! LOL.. he gladly eats the meals I cooked though, and just tops it off with SAD food.. his lunch was leftover coconut chicken, kale, and squash (all Primal).. then he topped it off with some Dr. Pepper and Cheetos. Gross! LOL, but he weighs 160 pounds soaking wet, so I can't complain!

You're so lucky to live in Charleston-- Savannah is a ghetto version of it. Are y'all Navy? The Sailor (as I refer to him) is a submarine officer and we are doing shore duty here while he teaches ROTC at Savannah State.. We came from Hawaii and are definitely missing it.

Good luck to you and your endeavors turning your hubby from the dark side! I find my Primal meals I cook and serve him work best when I don't even explain its Primal. Usually he doesn't even notice the grains or sugar are missing.

ETA: I'm taking a Whole 30 approach for the time being and cutting out fruits, dairy, and nuts for the month, trying to get cravings and binging under control. Being vocal with my goals helps me from falling face first into frozen yogurt, so I hear you on that.
              Last edited by cmjg7517; 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM.
              5'4/125

Comment

Originally posted by cmjg7517 View Post
                Good luck to you and your endeavors turning your hubby from the dark side! I find my Primal meals I cook and serve him work best when I don't even explain its Primal. Usually he doesn't even notice the grains or sugar are missing.
                Hi Kris, I've read your journal with interest and endorse the comments above. Gently does it when trying to convert other people, even kids, but especially husbands. A little sneakiness and a lot of patience are required.

Meanwhile you will go on getting more and more benefits from primal way of eating. Congratulations to you, but do try not to brag about them (except on here) because your husband may dig his heels in even more in order not to feel left behind.

Good luck.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  Hi Kris, I've read your journal with interest and endorse the comments above. Gently does it when trying to convert other people, even kids, but especially husbands. A little sneakiness and a lot of patience are required.

Meanwhile you will go on getting more and more benefits from primal way of eating. Congratulations to you, but do try not to brag about them (except on here) because your husband may dig his heels in even more in order not to feel left behind.

Good luck.
                  Agreed. I don't have kids of my own, but sometimes I think it might be easier to turn them onto Primal than SOs.. sometimes they are so stuck in their conventional ways!
                  5'4/125

Comment

Hi. Good luck with your journey! Hopefully your husband will see your amazing results and change his mind.

We're in this together...here on this forum:-)

Comment

CMJG, the husband is Air Force. Hawaii is my dream, though I have to think of the kids at this point. Not sure if it would be wise to move them there with the school issues. But I wouldn't turn it down if told to go. I am not a big fan of Chucktown. Downtown is nice but that's about it, imo. A bit more than a year to go, but I fear DC is next. Ugh.

Hi Annie and Freebelle!

I gave up talking to the husband about Primal a while ago. It's not worth the time and aggravation. I will talk to the kids but I have to accept they will still want their grains because they are allowed in the house. I just have to remind myself I can't control everything, so I will concentrate on what I can control.

Tonight's dinner? Salmon, roasted potatoes, and asparagus! YUM!

Comment

Yum, indeed. You're certain to win them over with meals like that. And if not, then all the more for you!

You'll know they're getting it when leftovers mysteriously vanish from the fridge before you can eat them yourself.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Day 3 of being 90% sugar-free. It's a bit difficult because I really do miss chocolate in mass quantities but I know I shouldn't have so much. Sunday I had a half-handful of chocolate chips (helps that I have small hands!), Monday I had one mini sized Twix bar (it was stale so I tossed half of it) and one quarter of a chocolate chip cookie (kryptonite!) at Publix. I think I can do this.

I need to make a great homemade Caesar dressing. I've never had luck with this so I will make a small batch. Or maybe I will stick with the primal/paleo ranch. I bought some Greenwise sirloins at Publix last night and I want to make a steak caesar salad.

I played last night! I was with the boys and we just threw the basketball in over and over. Nothing particularly strenuous but I did make it a point to jump and run after any rebounds or missed shots. It was more about the time with the boys and the laughter and fun we had (as is the whole point of play, isn't it). I need to find something active the Girl would like to do. Maybe she'd be up for just going for walks.

Much too often the Husband is brining home treats for the kids. They are getting into the habit of asking and then getting them. Sodas, candy, those are the requested items. The bag of Twix from last night arrived at home around 7:15 and was gone this morning! Seriously. I can't take it. I did buy cantaloupe for the Girl and she ate most of it almost right away. I am fine with that. I will not deny them sugars from fruit or veggies. But sugar and shit from soda and candy?? I had already resigned to the fact that Cheez-Its and Wheat Thins would be in the house, as well as frozen pizza and ice cream (I at least try to keep the ice cream to Ben and Jerry's or Breyers, better but not ideal, and with the natural ingredients) but I am disgusted by the soda and candy habit that's forming. I had gotten the kids off the juice habit (i'd buy 4 bottles of Juicy Juice and they'd be gone in 2 days). Water only, or organic chocolate milk on occasion. I was okay when they'd have soda if we went out because it was that occasional treat. At least I still have control of dinner.

Sadly, this makes me a bit resentful toward the husband. He insulted me the other night without realizing it (and I let it go then) but this just adds to it. Maybe it makes us even in the "feeling superior" arena. I eat better and smarter, he can live anywhere happily.

Comment

I am going to try a caesar dressing recipe, then grill up a steak and make a salad. Who wouldn't want that as part of a healthy diet?? Yeah...

The husband's big 4-0 is coming later this month. I decided to make our favorite indulgent dessert (a chocolate souffle from a cruise we've been on) so I need to prepare myself for that. And I want to make his favorite meal so I have to willingly make pasta. No pasta for me, just the chicken and sauce. That's probably really good with a salad as well.

Okay, I've vented that out so I will be in a good, happy mood. One day at a time to a truly happy and satisfied Kris.

Comment

I've decided to track my food again for a while at My Fitness Pal. I want to keep an eye on my macros for a bit. I also need to keep myself accountable for what I am eating. Okay, that really means, the junk food I've allowed to creep back in. I have dresses I want to wear soon as the weather is warming up and I need to lose the fat!!

I feel like getting out and doing (moving, working out) more now. The sun is up later, the temps are rising (I read that we've been below normal here for quite a while) to a level I prefer, the leaves are starting to come out on the trees. I am definitely a weather/climate dependent person. Late spring to early autumn is my time; yes, even the dead of summer makes me happy. Now, if only I could get back to Tampa soon, or preferably somewhere in Hawaii.

Feeling frustrated (still) about the junk food in the house. I wanted to take cash today to buy some foods we need: salad, eggs, bacon, chicken, rice, butter at the very least. I don't have it. Why? Because too much has been spent on the kids' requested soda and candy and cookies. I need to talk to the husband and kids and ask that they stop this. $20 over a few days buys instant gratification that is gone and forgotten in no time. OR $20 can buy us 18 eggs (I know, just supermarket eggs but budget is a huge issue), butter, bacon, rice, and chicken breasts, or even the whole chicken, and salad. And we eat for days.

A big grocery shopping is in store for the weekend. I know they will spend too much on crackers, snack cakes (worse than crackers, IMO), and other assorted junk (pizza rolls, anyone?). I will be sure to load up on meat, eggs, bacon, veggies, butter, rice, parmesan, and perhaps some pistachios. I don't mind eating the same things over and over, makes life simple. Oooh, I forgot fish; shrimp, salmon, see what's on sale this week.

Spring is almost here!!! A Happy Kris will be fully emerged in no time!

Comment

Day Two into my Whole30 Primal Style challenge. On Saturday, the day before Day 1, I ate poorly. Not sure why I justified it but I did. Donuts, Zaxby's, Pepsi, my favorite Publix roast beef sandwich, M&Ms. Then on Sunday, I began my personal challenge. I ate really well! Eggs and bacon for a late breakfast. Worked in the garden all afternoon (about 3-4 hours total) weeding and moving rocks out. Using rakes and shovels. Enjoyed thoroughly the warm temps (in the 70s) and the sunshine. I felt awesome. Dinner after my shower was shrimp, alfredo (not 100% primal but the best I could do at the moment, file that under 20% even though I didn't want to be less than 100%), spinach, and tomatoes. So fucking good!!! I had a bit of Green and Black's organic dark chocolate (70%?).

This morning I had a headache. I sort of expected it. I know I haven't been more than 60% Primal in the past 4-6 months. Too many M&Ms, too much alcohol (white wine, mostly), too many Publix roast beef sandwiches, too many fast food allowances out of convenience for the family. Not daily, not even every few days, but too often and it does make a difference overall.

Today I ate eggs and bacon for breakfast. For lunch (I was hungry) I had tuna with mayo (Hellman's; again, not Primal; I need to make my own) on arugula (organic! as has been the spinach) with cherry tomatoes. Dinner will likely be the same as last night.

Already planning for tomorrow. Same breakfast. Not sure about lunch but likely a salad with maybe sardines. Dinner will be a Primal chicken francese with aspragus and maybe rice (I'll take a small rice serving). I am hoping almond flour will taste good with some seasonings, the way regular bread crumbs would. I hope I end up with leftovers! Sometimes the kids love what I make so much I end up with nothing left, especially when I want more later.

Maybe later this week will be salmon. I have a full fridge. Oh, and I am planting my veggie garden. So far I have organic seeds for cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans (loved eating them off the plant when I was a kid!), carrots, and chives. I want to get lettuce and peppers. Maybe cherry tomatoes. And maybe some watermelon or cantaloupe for the Girl. This will be a real experiment since I've never done this before. And small. I am not going to have a huge garden and have it not work out. One step at a time.

As usual, the family picked out crap on grocery day. Muffins (a whole 12 pack for the Girl), crackers and cookies, Stouffer's meals for the Husband to bring to work, frozen pizza. I figure if they want the junk, at least let me homemake/bake it. Then it will be without preservatives and other odd ingredients and corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors. And maybe I could even find Primal/Paleo recipes for some of these things that are close enough to how they'd like it to taste. I already make a Paleo-ish chocolate coconut muffin they love. I think there's a cracker recipe here on MDA. I would keep chocolate chips cookies regular because the Paleo-ish ones I've attempted are just not good.

On the other hand, I loaded up with meats and fish and veggies (fresh and frozen) and Kerrygold butter and other goodness. I will do the 30 days and KICK ASS!!! Primal will become a habit again, the sweet cravings will be at bay, my skin will clear and brighten again, I will have more energy for longer walks, occasional runs, and yoga. I will lose fat and look awesome! I will be ready for the summer dresses hanging in the closet. Truth be told, I don't even need a long time for those. If I stay with the plan, I can probably be in them in about 6 weeks. The other goal dress within 12 weeks.

Long term goal: fit into a size 8 (6 if I'm lucky) by end of summer. I am a 12 now. I may be able to readjust to mid-summer if all goes well.

Comment

Working...
                                X