No announcement yet.

The Age of Strife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still not eating the way I want to be. I given in to temptation way too much. And I'm almost entirely sedentary again.

On the plus side: Making yogurt in the crockpot for the first time in a long time. Last time I tried it, I messed up bad. So this will be my first crockpot yogurt to eat in about two years if I do it right.
    The Age of Strife- My continuing journey to a happier, healthier, more natural lifestyle.

Comment

Well, things are starting to get a bit better. At least activity wise. I've fixed my sleep cycle again, started walking every morning first thing (wake up, make bed, drink some water, then head outside for a walk that's slightly more than a mile). I've injected a lot of order into my day by writing up a standard routine that includes a balance of productivity (work, cleaning), relaxation (reading, play, walking), and physical activity (play, walking).

I've also made myself a lil RPG character based around myself. Stats based on what I figure I've got in Strength (power, speed), Dexterity (flexibility, control), and Endurance (stamina, health) for physical stuff. This is working pretty well for me, since I'm totally a geek, and it provides an element of play in everything I do to improve myself. Instead of just being me walking, or doing pull ups, or practicing my grok squat, I'm Ćrinndís Naumasdottir, a Viking shield maiden on a roaring rampage of revenge, and each rep and set I complete brings me one step closer to my ultimate victory. All of my activities are charted to either add or subtract xp. For example, going to bed on time gets a point of Endurance xp, as sleeping for the right length of time is good for health, but eating poorly loses a point of Endurance xp since it's detrimental to health.

I'm currently on day 5 of this experiment, and it's been working well so far. I'm in bed on time, I'm up on time, I'm moving around outside again, and I've blocked off an hour each day for play (physical play), which I'd stopped doing for a long time.
      The Age of Strife- My continuing journey to a happier, healthier, more natural lifestyle.

Comment

The character experiment is going pretty well. I'm having a lil bit of a hard time remembering if I marked something off or not, though. Must work on my memory.

I've also added a few other things: Health Tracker (just tallies up healthy and unhealthy choices), Finance Tracker, and Compassion Tracker. All three things that I think I need to work on. The Health Tracker part is going great. Nine healthy and one unhealthy choice yesterday, and four healthy and one unhealthy so far today. Both unhealthies are from eating a bag of popcorn while watching movies. Examples of healthy actions are: Getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, and going for walks.

Yesterday was pretty fun. I didn't sleep well the night before, and was feeling bleh. So I took a nap. Woke up from the nap and went on a walk (a bit more than a mile), then came home and ate. It feels good walking right before having a meal, which is why both my daily walks are scheduled for before meal time (before breakfast and dinner respectively).

Comment

I've managed to increase my level of physical activity to the point where I'm not sedentary, just from my morning walk (awesome). This may be harder to do if I get the job I applied for, though.

Still have some issues with emotional eating, but not nearly as many issues with impulse eating lately. Keeping the pantry stocked with healthy foods for when I'm hungry goes a long way toward helping, rather than having it sit empty for days before I shop.

Overall, things are going good.

Comment

Finally put my pullup bar in. My muscles have atrophied over the last two years, sadly. I can only do one pullup at a time (though I can hold it for a few seconds once I get up top) now. Gotta work on that and get back to where I was!

I've now got a pullup bar, a single free weight (dumbbell, which I'd like to supplement with a kettle bell), and feet. All the things that I need for a good and proper workout.

I like to randomly do pullups as I walk past the bar, and I usually try to accompany those with a short wall squat.

Comment

So I might not be as weak as I thought. I'm able to do a pullup each time I walk past the bar. I don't quite feel like I can do two in one set, but it's better than the one per day that I thought I was down to.

Edit: For the last few weeks I've been having nasty dizzy spells. They're strong enough that I feel nauseous. Once they hit, I'm pretty much down for the day. Nothing seems to work to fix them. I have a doctor's appointment to have them checked out, but I have a theory that I'm testing now: I'm not staying low carb enough for consistent enough time periods, and keep yo-yoing in and out of the low-carb flu. I "cheat" too much (multiple days a week), but when I'm just home I eat really low carb.

Here's to hoping the tests work out, and I can improve on it.
              Last edited by Strife; 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I'm continuing to make my daily walks, which allow me to avoid being sedentary, as well as doing the pullups whenever I pas the bar.

I ate poorly last night: birthday celebration at a fondu place. Lots of bread and sugar and alcohol. Back to eating well today, though.

Overall: Content with the progress I'm making toward becoming healthy.

Oh, and my copies of Paleo Primer and the Sauces, Dressings, and Toppings book came in.

Comment

Got taken out to a super-nice, super-expensive, all you can eat sushi bar last night. Didn't eat nearly as much as I normally would, because I started to feel sick after the first course. Pretty disappointed. I didn't really get to move on from the Kitchen menu to the Sushi menu. I ended up sleeping poorly, too, and I'm kinda tired and blah right now. But I still got my morning walk in, even though I wasn't feeling it (my brain is always looking for excuses to be lazy).

Looking forward to a day of relaxing, light exercise, play, and food. Gonna be making a beef, bell pepper, and onion stir fry for lunch/dinner. And I'll try to get to bed early to catch up on my deficit, or else I'll just nap this afternoon.

Comment

Had to cut my walk short today, due to achy joints. I figure that I've been getting pretty close to the suggested 10k steps a day for the last week, and I should listen to my body and let it rest today. I'll still get plenty of walking just from moving around and cleaning my apartment.

Something I've been thinking every time I go out barefoot: Even when I step on uncomfortable things (acorns (BANE OF MY EXISTENCE), sticks, roots, pebbles, etc), walking barefoot just feels so much better than wearing shoes (even vibrams). It's hard not to perk up and smile with moss and grass between your toes.

Comment

I went to the doctor yesterday. First time in a year and a half. My blood pressure isn't high anymore, the signs of over-stressing myself have faded, and my fitness level has increased. I gained some weight, but slimmed down (putting on muscle and losing fat ). I still have a bit of fat to lose, but otherwise I'm golden. It's a great feeling.

In reward, I got myself a second crockpot last night. A nice one. So now I have one for yogurt, and one for stew. Speaking of, I'm making a beef stew for dinner tonight. Thickened with almond flour (or one of the other alternative flours I have). I'm really looking forward to eating it.

And just as important as food to a primal life: I'm continuing to transform my apartment from a dwelling into a home. Setting up for the long haul with what actually makes me happy, instead of just short term things that I can tolerate.

Comment

My feet were kinda sore today, so I took a "rest" day and didn't go for my normal walk. Still doing pullups and trotting around inside my apartment.

Comment

This weekend was rough. Went to larp, put up my new super awesome tent, and spent the rest of the weekend dealing with muscle fatigue. Sore and lethargic all weekend. Ended up sleeping pretty early last night and Saturday. Feeling a bit better about that, at least. Ate like shit (not much primal food is available during game or on the drive home). Back in the low-carb flu stage of things. Definitely looking forward to eating healthy again.

Comment

Making stew today. 3 lbs stew meat, half a pack of bacon (burnt the first half too badly to add in), two red potatoes, three large carrots, one yellow onion, and a package (8 oz) of portabella mushrooms. Cooked in beef broth (two packages from Hannaford) and potato starch as the thickener (the onion and stew meat are being cooked in the bacon grease while coated with the starch).

Comment

I just caught a glimpse of myself in a reflection while practicing some combat moves, and it hit me: I'm not fat. I have some pudge, for sure, but it's not anywhere near as much as I thought, and I have muscle underlaying my belly fat. The muscle becomes blatantly obvious when I'm moving (like during a fight). I... Feel really fucking awesome about myself right now.

Comment

I... Feel really fucking awesome about myself right now.
                                So you should!

Comment

Working...
                                X