Primal Journal - Cynarin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal - Cynarin

In hopes that it'll keep me on the straight and narrow after a truly devastating (but delicious) Easter weekend, I figured I'd start one of these. I work full-time, plus freelance, plus manage a production company, so I have plenty of excuses not to make myself a good primal meal or to get out and move around. Plus like many of us in our mid-20s I have the weird exhibitionistic love of posting semi-clad self-portraits on the internet.

Background: Naturally thin but losing that youthful eat-whatever-you-want edge; luckily grew up more or less without processed and packaged foods and with lots of vegetables; ex-vegetarian (ten years ago) ex-flexitarian (most of the meantime since). Like activity (especially outdoors) but tend to hate "exercise". Like booze, especially beer (ouch).

I've been moving in a primal/paleo direction for some time now, but it was only about a month ago that I really committed myself to it.

Current weight: 119.2 lbs.
    Current body fat percentage: 23%

Breakfast: One cup of coffee with whole milk. Three eggs' worth of this, with strawberries and blackberries. I had made five eggs' worth but it just tasted...wrong.
    Lunch: Huge bowl of whitefish ceviche. Skewer of grilled steak, churrascaria style. Medium-ass-salad.
    Snacks: About five almonds.
    Dinner: Grass-fed Salisbury steak in onion gravy with sauteed onions and mushrooms; steamed and buttered red cabbage, a little cucumber salad

Physical activity:
    Hour-long walk with roommate's hyperactive beagle.
    Chin-ups: 2 sets of 6
    Push-ups: 2 sets of 12
    Hindu squats: 2 sets of 20

Sunshine quotient: Very high!

Progress photo:
    Attached Files
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

Breakfast: IF
    Lunch: IF (despite it being the day at work in which management brings in massive amounts of free pizza! Small triumph.)
    Snacks: Four pieces of my dad's homemade beef jerky. Mainly to deal with the presence of pizza.
    Dinner: Grass-fed London broil, sauteed kale with garlic, more sauteed mushrooms (mmmmmMMMMMMmmmm...way better than pizza)

Physical activity:
    Short walk with dog (the pollen count is killing me); lots of stair-climbing up and down to the media archive at work. Mainly resting and listening to podcasts.
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

Comment

LOL at the 20-something exhibitionist habit...
      I hear you about easter weekend devistation
      btw -How tall are you?!

Comment

I'm 5'4.5 at last doctor's visit. I guess I should also mention that I'm 26.
        Last edited by Cynarin; 04-08-2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I had a great day; I secured a very-exciting, potentially quite lucrative long-term freelance contract. I got a freakin' advance on it. Really nice people, and it would be something when, once it's completed, I think MDA would get a kick out of. The sort of thing that has the potential to get very big.

Breakfast: One cup of black tea with whole milk. Two eggs fried in bacon grease, one piece of thick-cut, uncured bacon. 1/2 cup of strawberries and 1/2 cup of blackberries with coconut milk.
          Lunch: BAS with leftover London broil and blackberry vinaigrette. Green tea.
          Snacks: Largish cube of fancypants cheddar that I'd rather not throw out.
          Dinner: Going here to meet up with the fella. I usually eat the rabbit livers, marrow, or steak tartare, and then a vegetable dish or two. Regardless, it will be deeply Primal. I will also probably have a couple of fancy drinks.

Physical activity:
          Hour-long walk with roommate's hyperactive beagle. Tabata sprints at park.
          Last edited by Cynarin; 04-08-2010, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Great Journal! Grats on the contract!

Are you sure about the bf%? That seems a little high compared to your picture. I'm at 18% using the Navy method and I've got a very noticeable tire.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

Comment

Tanita scales are notoriously dicey, but I've taken measurements and it's fairly similar.

Plus ladies will always have more body fat, plus you can't see my tail.

Last night's meal ended up being pan-roasted rabbit livers in a little red wine reduction with onions, a half-dozen raw oysters with fresh horseradish, and a radish and mache salad in a lemon dressing with a little shredded local grass-fed cheddar on top. And a Cannibal Corpse Reviver, which tasted like gin, absinthe, and metal. Delightsome.
              Last edited by Cynarin; 04-09-2010, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Lol! What's a few gender-biased percentage points between friends?

My understanding is that the gender gap is around 5%. I guarantee if we had a fat-off, I'd win. :P

Comment

Last night I went and got my old bike from storage, which I think will greatly expand my level of physical activity.

Yesterday's details:
                  Breakfast: IF (late dinner the previous evening)
                  Lunch: Tuna salad in a tomato crown-tres retro! Also a few dark chocolate covered almonds.
                  Dinner: Two barbecued chicken thighs, roasted carrots, fennel, and onions, asparagus, and my beloved artichoke. Glass of red wine.

Physical activity:
                  Chin-ups: 2 sets of 6
                  Push-ups: 2 sets of 15
                  Hindu squats: 2 sets of 20
                  Last edited by Cynarin; 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I had a rough weekend primally-speaking; an old college friend came to town, so carousing was in order. He is also veg, and my desire to be hospitable trumped my dietary preferences. I'm getting better at thinking ahead and balancing things out, though.

I also successfully turned down a Zesto banana split, which used to be my horrible drinking-night habit. Baby steps!

Saturday brunchy-time: blueberry smoothie with protein powder and coconut milk, three fried eggs and two pieces of nitrate-free bacon. Coffee with whole milk.
                    Saturday dinner: Tahini-dressed salad, collard greens, baked sweet potato, and brown rice with onion gravy at the vegan soul food place; I figured brown rice was a better choice than any of the fake meats I could have gotten. A gin-based, low sugar cocktail at my friend's shi-shi bar and then a couple beers later.

Sunday brunch: Brisket in a spicy tomato broth with two poached eggs, small fruit salad. Coffee with lots of cream.
                    Sunday "dinner": Ended up at a pub with a bunch of friends, drank too much beer, ate a few hot wings and some turnip greens.

We did a lot of walking around town Saturday and Sunday, so I got at least a little activity in and definitely lots of sunshine. I'm ready to start a fresh new week.

Comment

Sounds like a great weekend. I wouldn't sweat the deviations - well, except for that rice.

The weather has been so awesome lately - it's great to be able to get out and enjoy it.

Comment

Current weight: 120.2 lbs.
                        Current body fat percentage: 24%

Breakfast: IF
                        Lunch: Pulled pork with Carolina hot vinegar sauce, steamed broccoli, and not-too-sweet coleslaw
                        Dinner: These amazing coconut meatballs, some steamed spinach, a little cucumber salad, half of a frozen banana

Physical activity:
                        Bike ride through East Lake & Oakhurst

Sunshine quotient: Very high!

Ironic vintage Jordache t-shirt at the gun show to follow:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dude, I WANT that Jordache t-shirt! Haha! I'm totally posting pics of myself partially clad after the baby comes. Maybe one right before, just for kicks...

Comment

Last night I had to work an event until 2 AM, so I was way too beat to log on and log in. I'll make up for it now.

I'm OK without the starchy carbs and the sugar; I crave them a little sometimes but can usually be okay with some sort of crunchy vegetable for the former and berries for the latter. My struggle is still cutting back on the booze. It's not that I'm a huge drunk or anything, but it's absolutely my social nexus...my friends and I hang out at bars, a lot of my friends are bartenders, and it's just sort of part of how we interact. I grew up with a family member in AA and didn't drink until a fairly advanced age (for a punk rock girl whose friends were all hardcore partiers and "bad kids") so I know how to say "no," but I really enjoy sitting at the Clermont sipping on cheap beer with my friends. Yargh.

Tuesday:
                            Breakfast: Three pieces of thick-cut uncured pastured bacon, two fried eggs, a little cup of strawberries and blackberries, coffee with heavy cream
                            Lunch: Thai red curry with chicken and lots of vegetables, no rice, three pieces of sashimi, green salad with ginger dressing
                            Snack: Celebratory shot of Fernet Branca with gentleman friend (there is some very good news in the works). I REFUSED THE BEST MOVIE POPCORN IN ATLANTA, EVEN THOUGH I GET IT FREE. BREAKTHROUGH.
                            Dinner: Burger with sauteed onions and peppers at the bar next door to the theater I work with for events; this was the first time my boyfriend has seen me actively remove a bun or something like that. I got teased a little, but he admitted that I've been looking "fine as hell." A glass of magnificent pale ale, and a PBR later.
                            Physical activity: Massive amounts of manual labor moving props and building a photo op at the theater, plus a really rewarding session of my, ahem, favorite form of physical exercise.

Wednesday:
                            Breakfast: Little blueberry smoothie with protein powder
                            Lunch: Massive amazing salad with both barely-seared and raw ahi tuna, some mango, jicama, and almonds, and a light vinaigrette. A bite of dark chocolate.
                            Dinner: Monday's leftover coconut meatballs, some steamed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, steamed artichoke
                            Physical activity: Tons of walking; ate lunch outside, so tons of sunshine.

Comment

Looks like your doing awesome with this. Saw you are eating Jicama. Is that any good. I've seen a few people post about it but never tried it.
                              Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Working...
                              X