No announcement yet.

Earthy Mama's Journal (All About Me)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missouri, eh? I was born in Ft. Leonard Wood (yup, father was Army...). Just to let you know, I really like your user name and avatar. I get called "Earth Mother" by my closest friends because (compared to them) I am really a fan of all things natural, especially healing yourself with diet.

My mom is a shortie, too: 5 feet in the morning, before gravity hits. Her mom is another inch shorter. I got lucky - my mom married a 6-footer so I came out 5'5", while my brother (and only sib) hit 6-feet-even.

I can commiserate on the one-pan lifestyle. While we are not homesteading here (we do live in the middle of our own 25 wooded acres, tho), when we moved in, there were no appliances to speak of and for quite a while I fed a family of six (and assorted guests) from a combo of dorm fridge, two-burner hotplate, and microwave while our renovations were taking place. It always amazes me how much you can do without when the need arises! For two winters, a wooden pallet in the garage was my "freezer". And I hear you on the stove - when we got our Maytag glass-cooktop/double-oven range delivered I thought I had died and landed in some kind of chef-fy heaven! While I do miss the BTU's of our old gas range from NJ (this house came all-electric), we have the rural setting here to do bonfires and ALL kinds of fire in general, so that more than makes up for it.

Actually, I love the Primal. I have some experience with various diets because of my kids: my Second is a dairy-allergic celiac (so she eats dairy-free/gluten-free), Third has gut issues and needs the SCD, First is sensitive to artificial chemicals in food like colors and preservatives (so that one eats with the label "clean eating"), my Fourth is simply PICKY (which is like a strict diet all by itself), and I used to be a long-term ovo-lacto veg. Hubby is a fan of the proverbial "see-food" diet: he eats all he sees... I hope to combine Primal with a huge shot of Raw in 2013, which I think will be the absolute ticket for me. Here on the MDA I label my kids like Charlie Chan's sons - by numbers, so that makes my oldest First, my second-born Second, and so on.

I am not dying in any sense of the word, but Primal is hitting all my difficult spots: weight gain after anti-depressants, dumpy mood, massive Southern sweet tooth, low energy, flabby muscles. I love vegetables with a passion, but hate "exercise" with the same passion, so the Hard Body thing is yet to happen for me.

You are welcome any time to drop by my journal and read around "Gettin' All-Primal in the Appalachians" (just so I don't chat up your journal too much as I do like to talk ). I don't know how to do links yet... welcome to the MDA!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      Missouri, eh? I was born in Ft. Leonard Wood (yup, father was Army...). Just to let you know, I really like your user name and avatar. I get called "Earth Mother" by my closest friends because (compared to them) I am really a fan of all things natural, especially healing yourself with diet.

My mom is a shortie, too: 5 feet in the morning, before gravity hits. Her mom is another inch shorter. I got lucky - my mom married a 6-footer so I came out 5'5", while my brother (and only sib) hit 6-feet-even.

I can commiserate on the one-pan lifestyle. While we are not homesteading here (we do live in the middle of our own 25 wooded acres, tho), when we moved in, there were no appliances to speak of and for quite a while I fed a family of six (and assorted guests) from a combo of dorm fridge, two-burner hotplate, and microwave while our renovations were taking place. It always amazes me how much you can do without when the need arises! For two winters, a wooden pallet in the garage was my "freezer". And I hear you on the stove - when we got our Maytag glass-cooktop/double-oven range delivered I thought I had died and landed in some kind of chef-fy heaven! While I do miss the BTU's of our old gas range from NJ (this house came all-electric), we have the rural setting here to do bonfires and ALL kinds of fire in general, so that more than makes up for it.

Actually, I love the Primal. I have some experience with various diets because of my kids: my Second is a dairy-allergic celiac (so she eats dairy-free/gluten-free), Third has gut issues and needs the SCD, First is sensitive to artificial chemicals in food like colors and preservatives (so that one eats with the label "clean eating"), my Fourth is simply PICKY (which is like a strict diet all by itself), and I used to be a long-term ovo-lacto veg. Hubby is a fan of the proverbial "see-food" diet: he eats all he sees... I hope to combine Primal with a huge shot of Raw in 2013, which I think will be the absolute ticket for me. Here on the MDA I label my kids like Charlie Chan's sons - by numbers, so that makes my oldest First, my second-born Second, and so on.

I am not dying in any sense of the word, but Primal is hitting all my difficult spots: weight gain after anti-depressants, dumpy mood, massive Southern sweet tooth, low energy, flabby muscles. I love vegetables with a passion, but hate "exercise" with the same passion, so the Hard Body thing is yet to happen for me.

You are welcome any time to drop by my journal and read around "Gettin' All-Primal in the Appalachians" (just so I don't chat up your journal too much as I do like to talk ). I don't know how to do links yet... welcome to the MDA!
      I was reading through some of your journal this morning, will get through all the pages today, lol, I love reading. I'm also not one big on exercise. Right now I'm starting slow with walking, squatting and running around outside with my kids... speaking of which, I promised them a scavenger hunt outside so off I am....
      Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Like your username too! I just read about your 1 Tbsp of sugar in your coffee -- THAT was my vice too! I went a few weeks without coffee when I first started and used caffeine supplements when I was really dragging butt. After a few weeks, I read that Mark has 1 teaspoon of sugar in his morning coffee so I thought that I would see how I could handle 1 teaspoon (1/3 of the amount that I REALLY liked). I was pleasantly surprised. I guess a few weeks without any sugar/sweets helped to tame my sweet tooth

Comment

Originally posted by thecrunchymama View Post
          Like your username too! I just read about your 1 Tbsp of sugar in your coffee -- THAT was my vice too! I went a few weeks without coffee when I first started and used caffeine supplements when I was really dragging butt. After a few weeks, I read that Mark has 1 teaspoon of sugar in his morning coffee so I thought that I would see how I could handle 1 teaspoon (1/3 of the amount that I REALLY liked). I was pleasantly surprised. I guess a few weeks without any sugar/sweets helped to tame my sweet tooth
          Unfortunately, 1tbsp was me already cutting it down. I love sugar in my coffee LOL! The honey in the coffee has been a sufficient substitute for the time being, thankfully!!
          Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Played outside with my girls, did a few squats. Went on a walk with them over to our other driveway on the 11acres, decided to go further down the rocky road. Let the girls bring their pumpkin buckets, they wanted to throw big rocks in them, they eventually became heavy and they each gave them to me. So... walk slow, pick heavy things up LOL, worked out well
            Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Tell the husband to buy red wine.

He comes home with white zinfandel.

Really?
              Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Earthy Mama View Post
                Tell the husband to buy red wine.

He comes home with white zinfandel.

Really?
                (Chuckles...) oh, I can commiserate. I send the Hubby to the store with a short, explicit list written on an index card (because index cards are sturdier and harder to ignore) and he comes back with half of the stuff forgotten because he didn't look at the thing once after he walked out the door... He thinks that he has perfect recall or something. Slowly he is coming to realize that he does not, and that after 19 years of marriage.

Red wine - now THAT hubby gets right. If you ask him for red, he will come home with a red from a local winery (Breitenbach Wine Cellars - I like buying Ohio wines) called Roadhouse Red, or a scrumptious thing called Mavrodafne, which is a Greek sweet red dessert wine (you need to get the Mavrodafne from a good wine importer, tho). I do like my wines, like everything else, sweet. If you can get your hands on a bottle of either, I highly recommend it.

That Roadhouse Red makes SUCH a good spaghetti sauce, especially after most of the bottle goes in the pot, minus a fat glass for the cook .
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by thecrunchymama View Post
                  Used to be my problem too, I would have undisolved sugar in the bottom of the cup. When I first tried primal I cut it out cold turkey and now cant stand it. Anytime someone diffrent makes my coffee I smell it before I leave the store to make sure there is no sugar in it. I still use cream though.
                  I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

LOL Crabbcakes!!

Slight headache from the wine.
                    Will have breakfast today instead of IFing, always hungry the day after drinking. Oh, I didn't cheat though. I ate my dinner "late" last night instead of at "normal" time b/c I knew I'd get the munchies with the wine and I didn't last night! No cheating!
                    Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

I'm still eating ketchup with my burgers, except.... this morning it tasted different. Real sugary....
                      Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Alright,... today I just wasn't very hungry. I'm at 1009 calories.
                        Protein 19% 49g
                        Fat 54% 62g
                        Carbs 27% 69g

Ate a tiny breakfast at 9:30 and just ate dinner 6:30. Wasn't hungry between then. Ate a good dinner, but the lack of calories from breakfast and not being hungry today just didn't get me up there.

I'm going to shoot for an overall weekly average of calories. Some days I'm more hungry than others and I just need to accept that's how my body is going to fuel itself, at least for the time being.
                        Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Had some cheats yesterday. I have that "frustrated/can't concentrate" mentality this morning. It makes me appreciative of TPB.
                          Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Earthy Mama View Post
                            Had some cheats yesterday. I have that "frustrated/can't concentrate" mentality this morning. It makes me appreciative of TPB.
                            Me, too, cheats included.

Sometimes I think cheats are kind of psychologically necessary - just to remind you why you went on the Primal in the first place. Like a fourth-grade teacher at my old elementary once wrote in my autograph book: "I wish lots of the good and a little of the bad". I couldn't figure this out as a 9 YO, so I asked him why he would wish me ill, and he said "It is so you will always know the difference." I never forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                              Me, too, cheats included.

Sometimes I think cheats are kind of psychologically necessary - just to remind you why you went on the Primal in the first place. Like a fourth-grade teacher at my old elementary once wrote in my autograph book: "I wish lots of the good and a little of the bad". I couldn't figure this out as a 9 YO, so I asked him why he would wish me ill, and he said "It is so you will always know the difference." I never forgot.
                              Awww, that is perfect lol
                              Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Lost a little more, of course it could fluctuate... My stomach dropped though, not sure how else to explain it. It's the first thing that happens to my body when I lose weight. Happened when I did a juice detox and when I lost weight earlier this year, so cool.
                                Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X