Yet Another PB Journal - hibbs02 style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
    I was able to switch to tea, then to green tea without any withdrawal. I am so glad to be off the coffee addiction.
    That's fantastic. Well done. I bet you feel great for it?! I once switched a client gradually off caffeinated drinks and got her drinking more water. The added hydration and with fewer stimulants in her system her energy levels improved, ad did her attention span etc. That was before we had looked at the food she consumed. Even small things like liquid intake make huge differences.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Hey all,

Funny you should mention coffee. Today I wound up drinking Yerba Mate instead of coffee. Wound up having 5 bags which seems like about 225mg of caffeine vs 600mg of caffeine from my standard 32oz of coffee. Then I started a long day with 2 hours mandatory overtime. I wound up drinking a heaping cup of instant coffee at work. I have an order of Stash organic green tea on the way for my work caffeine. I don't know that I'm going to be able to get caffeine free (at one point I was probably around 100oz of coffee a day - or even higher probably) but I think I might make it to coffee free. That would be a huge drop in regards to my daily caffeine intake. We will see after that.

At work, I drink bottles of banner brand tea green tea with citrus flavored with artificial sweetener. I have some stevia on the way. I am one of those who can't really stand the taste but this brand looks like it might work mixed with the herbal tea at work. Again, we will see. I think the prebottled stuff can't be good for you.

I am committed to a state of persistent bold experimentation until I reach a healthy body. As far as food today it proceed mostly as I had forseen. Mua ha ha ha haaaaa!

Added in a little more flavor items to dinner which pushed up my calories a bit. Wound up at:
      Totals 2021
      Fat: 154.8 66%
      Carbs: 46.0 8%
      Protein: 128.3 25%

Breakfast: 5 bags Yerba Mate with 1 tb butter and 2 tb MCT oil
      Lunch: Health shake - 2 scoops protein, green vibrance, miracle reds, 1 tb MCT oil, dash creatine in 12 oz unsweetened coconut milk
      Dinner: 8 oz TJ's grass-fed gound beef, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cauliflower, 2 oz sharp cheddar, homemade olive oil mayo w dash of low carb heinz ketchup.

Calories are higher than I was planning on for optimum. I had been thinking of something 18-1900 for my 5 IF work days. However, this feels very sustainable and satisfying for at least a while. I don't plan on doing this forever but rather giving the high fat, low carb, no wheat a serious trial and then seeing if I can adjust my metabolism to something that can actually have me lose weight. Once I see how this goes for the 30 days then I can consider loosening up. However, I'm thinking of doing IF until probably 240lbs or so. Maybe 260. I have a lot of muscle so at 260 with my frame I will look much better.

Except for the caffeine was very satisfied overall with everything today. I'm definitely feeling the effects of the drop in caffeine. I'm glad you guys spoke up I had been planning to just go back to 32oz coffee in the morning. However, I will try to endure at least through the week with tea only and see if the tiredness subsides.

Exercise: 35 walking minutes between break and car round trip.

Sleep: 9 hours

Added to supplements: Raw Adrenal Gland. Hoping adding this with the dietary changes including lower caffeine mixed with L Tyrosine and salt in the morning to make a change in my metabolism. Fingers crossed.
      WOE: Primal + IF
      Goal: Walk daughter (due 1/21/13) down aisle
      Motto: It will all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it is not the end.
      Alternate Motto: Whatever the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Comment

Hey Hibbs. Great to see you evaluating and happy to take on board suggestions. I learn new things from new people on a daily basis and it helps me improve at what I do and who I am. If I think back to how I worked a few years ago I have changed alot, and all for the good (I hope haha).

Well done for cutting back on Coffee. Caffeine free is not as hard as you think. I would wager for the majority of people it is easier that wheat,grain free. So keep at it. An example I use is that if someone drinks 4 cans of full sugar coke a day I dont cut them to none (especially if they are prone to giving up and doubt themselves a lot). I start with 3 cans full sugar, 1 can diet. then 2 cans full sugar, 2 cans diet etc.Then its 3 cans diet, 1 glass fizzy water and dilute juice etc etc. Small sustainable changes. You will get there. Dont rush it, and believe in yourself.

Looking at what you ate yesterday my friend can I suggest a couple things (he asks a question and continues without waiting for a reply heehee):

Breakfast: 5 bags Yerba Mate with 1 tb butter and 2 tb MCT oil
        Lunch: Health shake - 2 scoops protein, green vibrance, miracle reds, 1 tb MCT oil, dash creatine in 12 oz unsweetened coconut milk
        Dinner: 8 oz TJ's grass-fed gound beef, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cauliflower, 2 oz sharp cheddar, homemade olive oil mayo w dash of low carb heinz ketchup

Breakfast - the butter and oil are fine, but it doesnt seem alot after a fast. Have you thought about using olive oil and heating it up, and pouring over 2-3 whisked eggs and making an omelette. Set it on the plate and cover half in goats cheese, grapes/chopped pepper, chicken etc. Fold over and you have an omelette calzone = YUM.
        Lunch - I would drop the shake all together my friend. I would keep it if you are training and feel you cant eat straight after exercise (like I cant after a long cycle) and drinking your protein would be better in that instance. Why not a chicken salad, or a sweet potato with chicken. Anything. Cook it the night before and load up the tupperware.
        Dinner - Awesome

Although you are probs not interested here is what I ate yesterday. Not a perfect day, but not bad.

1. omelette with goats cheese, and chicken.
        2. 3 chicken thighs and some pineapple.
        gym and cycle and protein recovery shake
        3. Soup (lental and various peas [replaced iron and protein]) Also oatcakes and pate, and garlic.
        4. Tuna steak and veggies
        5. 2 Lamb chops with homemade potatoes wedges and salad
        6. 2 egg omelette with chicken
        7. Homemade chicken liver pate with an apple.

As you will see not perfect but alot of calories and regular feedings.

Feed the body and watch your performance skyrocket.

Richard
        It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Long term I plan to eat much like you are suggesting. Right now to kickstart fat loss all the literature I've been reading says that intermittent fasting is a good way to go. In addition, I'm not a breakfast eater anyway. I don't tend to eat until the afternoon no matter what. When I was doing slow carb with lots of "heart healthy grains" I had to force myself to eat a sandwich before I head off to work.

Now, as to lunch. There are two reasons I do this:

I don't eat in public, and my lunch at work is very public unless I won't to drop socializing at work completely (walking during breaks takes away half my time for that)

I've had fantastic benefits from the shake. Before the shake, I was constantly exhausted. Adding it in has helped me physically and mentally. In the long run I want to get my protein mostly from food. My guess is someday I will have the health shake for breakfast, real food for lunch and dinner as my general way of life.

I'm not rejecting any of your advice. Right now with how my body works and how my crazy little mind works this method is optimal. Now, if it starts seeming too restricting or I start going mad regarding lack of real food then I will definitely shift sooner even if I am no where near my health goals. I certainly do understand that the main point is eating primal and the health benefits will follow almost no matter what - though they may take longer. So, if anything starts looking to kick me off the primal hill then I will fight back with eating more and more often. I'm not getting off this hill if there are benefits to be had. Right now, I'm proving the benefits.

For example I had zero cheese for weeks. The last few days I added in a couple of ounces a day. I had a touch more mucus production during the night but in general don't notice any bad effects. Since I have been going super pure on my diet I can add in questionable things and see how they effect me. I feel like I know for sure that I can handle cheese, I like cheese, and I will keep it around. However, just as a general principle I will try to keep it more as a spice than as the sometimes food group it has been in the past.

Drinking my first morning cup of 2bag yerba mate with 1/2 tb of butter. I must say I feel better than yesterday so fingers crossed. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

Mandatory OT yesterday, daytime hours for training on Friday and my XBOX deciding to update today are really messing with my preferred workout schedule. Today, did a variety of resistance exercises. I tried the body by science approach of 5 seconds up and 5 seconds down for some exercises and they are REALLY nasty. Wound up doing curls, a triceps exercise and a shoulder exercise. Did pushups and squats with the 5up and 5down. I need to start carrying the dumbells when I do the squats. I'm shifting a lot of weight but my sled is probably still over 1000 so I need to up it. Did planks and bridges for the first time. Those planks are insane. I didn't get it when people talked about the shaking. Now I do in spades. My third set I think I hit 15 seconds on the plank and that was on knees and elbows. I can see how that will effect core strength and help my back.

Not the interval I would prefer but going to do the HITT stuff on Thursday. That will still hit pushups and squats because those are in the Xbox bootcamp but next week will hopefully have 3-4 days in between instead of only 2.

Considered Richard's comments and Dave Asprey while shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. Thinking about upping my calories and adding in more fat in my morning BP. Not the lesson Richard would have preferred but thinking about upping caloric intake to 21-2200 daily so as to have about 400-500 calories in the morning instead of the current 200-300. Between ketosis, some exercise, IF, that level still being a caloric deficit and clean healthy food with these macros I'm concerned that I am probably not taking in enough calories. Scale was 349 this morning and I'm not back in ketosis yet after Sunday so probably making some gains (though I think the starting 353 was probably artificially high as that was weighing the day after Thanksgiving). So, gonna have another cup of yerba mate with 1 1/2 tb of butter and another TB of MCT oil bringing the morning total to 2tb butter and 2 tb mct oil. I was doing that previously and felt better during the day than I have been recently (though that has been affected by the lower caffeine.)

Hope all is well for you as well. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

Got caught up with a coworker on one of the breaks. So, got about 25 minutes of walking on top of morning resistance exercises. Today was perhaps my new normal for food intake. We will see if it gives me results or need to rejigger come weigh day on Monday after a Sunday carb refeed.

Breakfast: 6 bags Yerba Mate (270mg caffeine vs usual 600mg) with 2TB Butter and 3TB MCT Oil
              Lunch: scoop green vibrance, scoop delicious reds, 2 scoops protein, 1 tb mct oil
              Dinner: 8oz grass fed beef, 5 oz broccoli & 5 oz cauliflower with Ghee & Sea Salt, 2 oz sharp cheddar, 2 TB homemade Mayo, artistic squirt heinz low carb ketchup

Calories 2214
              Fat 180.2 71%
              Carbs 40.4 7%
              Protein 126.4 23%

Macros look good. Adding the extra fat seemed to help me with energy though I was yawning come about 9:00pm on a very busy (sitting) work day. Very satisfied with dinner. I'm a simple man. I'm pretty much happy to eat this meal for dinner for eternity. As they say, hunger is the best sauce and while I'm not starving or anything I'm very ready to eat once I get home and the beef and veg hit the spot.

Tomorrow I'm off work though I have tons of study to do (did I mention I'm in school on top of all this?) I am thinking about having low carb burritos (no rice, beans or tortilla.) Probably will turn into a sloppy mess what with lettuce instead of tortillas. That's ok, I'll wear on old shirt to eat! Also, not sure what the macros are gonna look like with sour cream, cheese, salsa on top of the beef but I am looking forward to finding out. Not sure what to do goal wise on on non carb refeed day but off and eating two meals. Goal is to stay relatively primal. Low carb. Looking like more dairy than usual but try to keep the cheese in check. I'll keep track somewhat as I eat and Fitday it up. Be prepared though, I love me some sour cream so it is gonna get ugly.

Comment

Hey hibbs

Well done you for making those changes. I bet you feel better for the extra calories.

Richard

Comment

Yes, the day did go by much better energy wise. However it turns out that yesterdays calorie intake calculation was low by about 100 calories.

I was padding my way to bed when I noticed a small box hiding off in a corner. Turns out I'd gotten a package during the day and figured it was my Stash Organic Green Tea. However, upon opening the box I saw that it was the organic coconut oil. I took it into the kitchen and was about to flip off the light when, in a flash, I remembered various comments I had read on the forum. The one that really popped was one woman talking about how she kept a jar in her desk and would occasionally take a spoonful. So, I decided to see what the hype was about. I just barely stuck the tip of my spoon in and got less than a bb's worth of the oil and put it on my tongue. Instantly, I was unimpressed. "Meh. Oh well, at least its healt----" Bam, the second wave of flavor it and I was all, "WOW, now that is pretty nic--" Pow, the third wave of flavor hit and my eyes rolled back in my head a second. Now, I don't know if it was the fat hitting my brain or what happened but it was like some kind of Primal Limitless experience. I had had some trepidation regarding being about to stay Primal but suddenly all the recipes for Paleo bread using almond flour and pancakes using coconut flour and every thing else hit me and I felt ok about it all. Having the coconut oil, something I had never even imagined tasting before a week or two ago, blow me away helped me to realize there is a whole new world of food out there I haven't even imagined and it is tastier than bread as well as being healthier.

Then my brain just popped and I found myself slathering coconut oil on a square of dark chocolate. WTH? How is this not the standard candy available at convenience stores? That tastes just flat out incredible! Finally, I could not contain myself and went mortar and pestle on a dab of coconut oil, dash of cacao powder and sprinkle of xylitol while giggling like a mad scientist. "Amazing" is the only word that comes to mind. Again, I felt a rise of hope that it is all gonna be okay. A diet where something like that is not only acceptable but encouraged can only be workable.

So, how was your day?

Comment

Alright, went youtube paleo recipe video crazy after my coconut oil epiphany last night. Wound up trying to try to make a Paleo Tortilla with almond flour fried in coconut oil. Heartbreak is the word to describe that experience. It came out more like an almond cookie. Meanwhile, tried to make guacamole for the first time. I think the avocado wasn't ripe as it was pretty hard. Kept putting in more and more of my homemade olive oil mayo to soften it up. Definitely wasn't the smooth creamy avocado dominant flavor I was hoping for. Paleo Fail: gave in to temptation and got a Taco Bell spice pack for the grass fed beef. Figured to make up for it by getting spinach for the lettuce portion and was honestly dreading it thinking it would ruin the whole thing. Had to go to a different store to get Daisy Sour Cream since TJ's only had sour cream with lots of additives though they did have the almond flour and a nice organic salsa. Could not find the cheese shredder until the last second. The little food processor had apparently walked off and hidden itself so had to play hide and seek for that as well. Was feeling fairly frustrated as my beautiful dreams cracked head first into the asphalt of reality. All in all, a disaster in the making right?

paleoburrito.jpg

The off-white gloppy stuff on the left is the guacamole. The cheese is hiding another large dollop of diced organic tomato and vidalia onion. Lessons learned:
                    • If you know you own it just be patient. It will turn up. It is right where you, or your spouse, left it.
                    • Guacamole is like sex. Even when its bad it is pretty good.
                    • Still, give the avocado a squeeze before you put in in your cart.
                    • Paleo tortilla is not tortilla, but it adds a nice crunch. Think croutons.
                    • There is enough flavor going on there don't need the Taco Bell seasoning. Will custom season next time.
                    • Spinach is freakin' awesome for this. Was worried sick and after three bites went back to get more spinach.
                    • Tostada style isn't the best way to go. Just basically make a taco salad with lots of spinach and almond flour croutons.

All in all, very satisfied. It came out super delish and I learned lots of new stuff!

Comment

Well that is some might effort for a Primal meal!

Hats off to you!

A tip for avocado buying: buy them semi hard (or even hard, depends on the variety) and wrap them in paper and let them sit (I usually put them on top of the fridge, nice and semi warm place to be, but dont forget you left them up there!!), for 3-4 days.

This requires more patience but guarantees good avocado every time. It is so hard to just go to the supermarket and bam, find a lovely squeezy avocado just begging to be mushed!!
                      "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Comment

Originally posted by U2sandrah View Post
                        Well that is some might effort for a Primal meal!
                        Yeah, U2sandrah, I don't think I will be doing that again for a while. Though, once you have the ingredients on hand it isn't such a big deal. Could probably do it all in under 20 minutes if the stuff was already in the house and I could find all the kitchen implements! But, I was hopped up on the coconut oil and went a little crazy.

Right now I'm in the exciting learning phase of things. Soon enough it will just be how I eat. At least I hope so. At this point it is turning into a hobby and I can't afford another long term hobby. However, I think the health benefits are going to be great enough to afford a little leeway with spending the excessive discretionary time at this point. If it is taking this much of my mental energy in a month or two I will have to re-calibrate. But, I went through the same process when I switched to vaping. I spent a ton of time, money and mental energy on it until I found my perfect solution and now I have it dialed in and don't have to think about it much. I imagine the same will happen with Primal.

Thanks for the tips on the avocado!
                        Last edited by hibbs02; 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM. Reason: added thanks for tips on the avocado!

Comment

Fitday'd it up. DEFINITELY won't be doing this again. I could be overshooting some of the amounts but the avocado (mixed with olive oil), beef, almond, sour cream and cheese are ALL calorie dense. Also, no exercise unless walking into the movie theater to see "Life of PI" counts? Lesson learned: in this case it would have been best to simply make less of everything so there wasn't leftovers to also have for dinner. Some fish or chicken with some veggies for dinner would have saved the day. However, I think that 3100 is about my BMR so won't beat myself up too much over it. Also, still super low carb.

Calories 3050
                          Fat 247.3 71%
                          Carbs 46.8 (25 net) 6%
                          Protein 170.7 23%

Comment

Changed from Fitday to MyFitnessPal for my nutrition tracker. Tried SparkPeople which was still much better than Fitday as far as functionality. I like the look/format/layout/reports for Fitday better but the databases on these others are so much better it is not even funny. Found out I was way overestimating calories for the grass fed beef. Like by 250 calories per 8 oz. So those 1800 calorie days? Actually in the 1500s. My disappointing day yesterday? Actually more like 2600 calories. My own fault now remedied. I finally went with MyFitnessPal because they also have an android app. Also, much easier now to track the calories with their system of favorites and saving a whole meal. For my standard day I can now track it in literally seconds. With correct nutritional values it looks like this:

Calories 2,099
                            Carbs 48 (net 33)
                            Fat 180
                            Protein 109

Very sustainable - low carb - tasty and satisfying - IF - good energy - great macros and no cravings ever. Scale down to 347 today. I know it is water loss and will track Monday to Monday after a carb refeed day on Sunday but it is nice to see the scale moving a pound a day. Wish it were always that easy! Won't post again today unless something wacky happens but looks like today is going to be my standard day with the macros above. Now off to some HIIT! Good luck and God bless!

Comment

Yeah I think Myfitnesspal is a good way to keep an eye on how is the %protein/fat/carb intake is going, specially when in doubt or when you need to monitor a specific meal prone to get off track!
                              "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Comment

Originally posted by U2sandrah View Post
                                Yeah I think Myfitnesspal is a good way to keep an eye on how is the %protein/fat/carb intake is going, specially when in doubt or when you need to monitor a specific meal prone to get off track!
                                I agree. The only thing I don't like is I don't see where to calculate the macros like Fitday did. But, I did find an extension for Chrome that puts them in for me! So, issue resolved. BTW, One of my avocados ripened up today and was PERFECT! Thanks again for teaching me about them!

I'm just trying to dial things in and part of that is finding the best tools, foods, suppliers, supplements. Once I have all that figured out then I can stop thinking about it and it will just be how I eat and stop being a hobby. I am already converted to primal as THE way of life. I can see/feel/measure changes over last 10 days. Also, the whole "no cravings" thing which is pretty big. Well. . .today, the no cravings thing took a bit of a beating. I had to get up and work 8:30am-5:00pm instead of 2:30pm-11:00pm to do some training at work. That involved getting up with only about 5 hours of sleep. I had a smaller than usual amount of fat for breakfast figuring that I would be getting home much much much earlier and probably have two evening meals. Going down to 200 morning fat calories on top of low sleep meant I was starving for much of the day even though I had dinner when I usually break the fast with a health shake. On the way home I was salivating for my entire half hour commute planning an outrageous feast. It was moderately difficult to fight off the urges to get carbs. But, I was able to visualize how full and satisfied I would shortly be and able to overcome.

Breakfast: 1tb Butter & 1 tb MCT oil
                                lunch: Health Shake - 1tb mct oil, green vibrance, miracle reds, 2 scoops protein
                                Dinner: (crazy! I was out of control!) 5 egg omelet w/ 1/8 onion, 1/4 tomato, sharp cheddar cheese -- 8oz (half pack) of bacon -- whole avocado -- 2tb sour cream -- several tablespoons of salsa.

Calories 2,089
                                Carbs 57 (29 net) 9%
                                Fat 160 70%
                                Protein 121 29%

I could have, should have, understood that my hunger could be satisfied with less but I was crazy with hunger.

Lesson Learned: Moving forward I will just have a full 400 calories of fat with breakfast as has been the norm. Especially when sleep deprived.

The totals above may go up a few hundred calories here in a bit but I will certainly stay primal and VLC.

Comment

Working...
                                X