Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that making people aware of what mental illness really is (an illness and not a bad mood) doesn't actually get people help. You know what? This is definitely one of those situations where awareness is a GREAT start. Reducing the stigma of mental illness will help improve access, IMO.
    Agreed. People at work have commented several times, "But he had tons of money how could he be depressed?" Because apparently depression is directly related to the size of one's bank account. Even my ignorant ass knows better.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      Agreed. People at work have commented several times, "But he had tons of money how could he be depressed?" Because apparently depression is directly related to the size of one's bank account. Even my ignorant ass knows better.
      Money doesn't buy happiness. If it did, all the little people would be screwed. I believe I've heard now that suicide is the #1 killer in the USA. My oldest daughter has lost a friend to suicide and my middle daughter had talked two friends out of suicide.
      Georgette

Comment

• Money does nothing for depression. It's internal. You can throw all the money in the world at it and still feel that deep, dark pain gnawing at you. Even modern medicine doesn't understand it. Psychiatry/ therapy makes a go at it, but few make headway beyond coping enough to survive. Meds work for some (like Geo and Hulky) and not others (like myself and NW.) It's far too individualized for modern medicine to help.
        Some believe it's bad wiring, others think it's chemical, still others think it really is "all in your head" (psychosomatic.) I think for many, it is psychosomatic. THat doesn't mean it can't be treated or handled, but it does mean modern medicine doesn't know what the hell to do with it. Having to see all parts of the patient at one? Treating, body, brain, mind, and past all at once? They can barely treat one!
        So, like many, I learned to muddle through it. Like many, I experimented with a form of self medication (mine was the far less harmful "escaping via books.") Unfortunately, few have managed what I have. I can control mine with diet. A moderate carb paleo (80/ 20) diet with an o3: o6 ratio under 1: 5-6 keeps the demons at bay and the monster in the cage asleep. I think it would help others, but I'm not a doctor.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          THat doesn't mean it can't be treated or handled, but it does mean modern medicine doesn't know what the hell to do with it.
          And that is the scary part. I wish you all the best, because frankly, I have no idea how the heck you all manage.

Comment

• I think an increase in carbs does help for those of us with depression. Also, I know regular exercise does help with mine. I just need to exercise and that's the hard part. Everyone I've ever known in adulthood has told me that I deserve to be happy. I've never been a "genuinely happy person." I don't get people who are. I used to be good at faking it when I was younger, but as an adult, I've just decided to say screw it. The pills do help me fake being happy. I've sort of figured that if I lived in a different time or place, I'd be better off. The world we live in gives off too much stimulus for me and I tend to feel a lot of pain for the world.
            Georgette

Comment

• I've seen that higher carbs do seem to help, almost across the board. Of course, one person's medicine is another's poison, yadayada, but most folks with depression seem to do best somewhere between 75g and 150g carbs.
              Exercise does help and I'm trying to get back in the groove. The wreck (and dealing with insurance nad replacing Molly) took it out of me for a while. I'm thinking I'll finish up the yard today, or at least try to.
              I also think sunlight/ vitamin D helps. Well, it helps for me anyways.
              On the dietary note, now that I've gotten all the junk leftovers out of the house (and into my belly...), I can really start with the o3: o6 balance work. I need to restart taking my vitamin K (when USPS gets off their fat ass and ships my damn package! It does NOT take over a week for a package to get here from Pennsylvania) and a few other vitamins. another I should probably dig out/ buy is iron. I think I'm going anemic again. Anemia isn't uncommon for me, I've gotten it off and on my entire life. I can't stay on iron all the time, though, because then my blood levels get really high.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

(when USPS gets off their fat ass and ships my damn package! It does NOT take over a week for a package to get here from Pennsylvania)

It's part of their new Amish outreach program. Deliveries by horse and buggy take time

Comment

It's part of their new Amish outreach program. Deliveries by horse and buggy take time
                  Hey - tell them to hire the English to drive them around, like the Amish around here do, already!

That is a serious cottage industry in this rural county - driving the Amish. Although, I hate the racism (right word when one white group disses another white group because of a religious lifestyle?) - a lot of the drivers here will spew venom about their customers while making money off of them. Not all, but surprisingly many. Ugh.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• First rule of a business, if you badmouth the client, know it'll get back to them.
                    Dinner tonight was pressure cooker chili, corn bread, raw veggies, and sour cream. I now have a perfect (for us) chili recipe. No, you can't have it, but I can tell you the ingredients. Grass fed stew beef, ground buffalo, hatch chiles, poblanos, jalapenos, serranos, onion, garlic, homemade chili powder, homemade beef stock, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and canned tomato. I'll probably try exchanging hostages with Dad at Christmas again: my stock for his chili powder. For those trying to puzzle out how to knock off my chili, I sub Anaheims when Hatch aren't in season.
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

For those trying to puzzle out how to knock off my chili, I sub Anaheims when Hatch aren't in season.
                      Damn it, you're on to me. Sadly, K does not like too many chilis in her chili. It makes me a sad panda. Your recipe sounds fantastic though.

Comment

• We ended up having to remove the habaneros from the recipe. Too much heat and the floral flavor threw things off. I'm REALLY proud of my beef stock this time around. Grass fed marrow bone and regular neck bones with garlic, salt, and pepper, and of course water, then I pressure cook it for half an hour, simmer it for an hour to reduce it, and poured it into jars. It had so much gelatin in it, it more glopped than poured after I broke the fat seal.
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Damn it, you're on to me. Sadly, K does not like too many chilis in her chili. It makes me a sad panda. Your recipe sounds fantastic though.
                          Me be a total chili wuss - zero hotness for me. Actually hurts, so I guess, Canio, that you and I just aren't that perfect match... Sigh.

Redeeming myself, though - I have a container of fresh ghost chilies in the fridge right now. Hubby said that outguns him, so now I need to give them to a teen at church who adores hotness and burned all his taste buds off years ago, so he can handle it (and wants them - his mom is okay with it, we know her personally)
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                            Me be a total chili wuss - zero hotness for me. Actually hurts, so I guess, Canio, that you and I just aren't that perfect match... Sigh.
                            Alas, and to think about what could have been....

Ghost chilies on the other hand are out of my league. I like hot, but I also like my tastebuds. I'm sure the powerhouse that is Naiad could handle them though. She puts me to shame.

Comment

• Not the ghost chili. Hottest I go is habanero. I like my tastebuds and to be able to eat without feeling like it's a workout just to finish dinner.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• I love habaneros in my chili. Ghost peppers are way too much even though my sister's fiancÚ loves them. I also add habaneros to my salsa just for an added kick.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X