Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That sounds like a crummy discovery.

Did you get your Coastal glasses? Hulky's finally arrived (late though I guess that's not Coastal's fault) and one lens is weird. I'm going to try to have him call today to talk to them about it. Maybe we entered the prescription wrong. The sphere # on his left eye is much larger than the right on the written prescription, so I'm concerned that the prescription may be wrong (015 versus 165).
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      That sounds like a crummy discovery.

Did you get your Coastal glasses? Hulky's finally arrived (late though I guess that's not Coastal's fault) and one lens is weird. I'm going to try to have him call today to talk to them about it. Maybe we entered the prescription wrong. The sphere # on his left eye is much larger than the right on the written prescription, so I'm concerned that the prescription may be wrong (015 versus 165).
      Mine seems off, but I can't tell if that's the glasses or the fact I haven't worn glasses in years and am still adapting.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Yeah, the first few hours for Hulky were weird (he's needed a new prescription for a while), but the left eye is definitely off.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• So I made two experiments today, since Geek is out of the house. Dinner was chicken liver curry with a side of sauteed beef kidneys. The chicken liver curry turned out WONDERFULLY. It's now one of my favorite foods. Better than regular chicken curry, to me. The kidneys were a pleasant surprise after the FOUL experience I had when I made it the first time. When cleaned correctly and cooked right, it's actually pretty good. Reminds me of a more organny version of heart flavor. When prepped right, it actually doesn't taste like piss. Probably doesn't hurt that I doused them in cumin, cayenne, coriander, salt, and pepper.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Kidneys? Brave gjrl.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• They were cheaper than Brazil nuts for selenium, so I thought I'd give them another shot.
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Been PHD, up until Fourbucks today. "Not sweet," my ass. That drink was sweeter than candy.
                Finally figured out how to clarify my chicken stock. My stock jug is the perfect size for a cone coffee filter to fit over the opening and hold itself in place. I then ladle/ pour in the stock into the filter. Bam. Clarified stock.
                My Latest Journal

Comment

• When my supplements come in, I'll test to see if it's a molybdenum partial deficiency. Given my distaste for almost all legumes, it wouldn't surprise me.
                  Anyways, I've been theorizing on how/why I might have these obscure sensitivities. I have discovered they all have the same root: sulfites. Sulfite bleaches, sulfite preservatives, and sulfite soap, as well as sulfite glues. The bleaches and the glues were the missing links. The glue they use on the cheap fabric bandages and medical tape are sulfite based. Most industrial bleaches, including the ones for clothing and feminine applications, are sulfite based.
                  TMI WARNING
                  My entire sexually active life, I've had an issue with vaginismus, more specifically, the vagina not relaxing enough to allow anything larger than a finger to be inserted without pain. This is often caused by vestibulodynia, or an oversensitivity in the nerves of the area, which is in turn often caused by irritation or injury to the area. Irritation. Like the continual use of sulfite bleached tampons and pads every month kind of inflammation. I potentially unknowingly did it to myself. I'm now curious to see if switching over to exclusively Softcup and unbleached ones (if I can find them) can at least make it better, now that I'm not reintroducing the irritant at a regular interval.
                  /TMI
                  I've had a nasty reaction to the glue on cheap fabric bandages and medical tape most of my life. 12- 24 hours later (an hour with the really bad ones), I could peel it off and leave a perfect image of the bandage in the form of a welt. My research indicates those are the ones that often use a sulfite based glue.
                  I've read a theory, especially with food, respiratory, and sulfite allergies, that say they're caused not by being contaminated, but by NOT being contaminated. There's a theory that either a massive gut flora cleanout (from extra strong abx ,or something similar), or never getting the proper hitchhikers to begin with is what precipitates most allergies. The gut is too clean. Unfortunately, they still haven't sequenced the gut biome of a healthy person to figure out why bacterium produces what of what we need. They're not even sure where most of the enzymes come from.
                  I know I was a formula kid and I was on abx pretty regularly for ear infections, so whatever native biome I once had has long since been obliterated.
                  Aside from adding molybdenum to produce the possible missing enzyme, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I know the simple answer: "repopulate." I'm leery of the common path with probiotics and fermented foods. Probiotics are well, fine, and dandy, but we still don't know which ones are actually in the gut and in what proportions. Proportion is a crucial element. Get the biome off balance another way and you're back to square one. I'm still not sure about tissue abx levels in my meats, I need to do more research there on whether I really need to go nonCAFO. (I know I should, but $$.) I'm trying to get it through fermentation and dirt on my fruits and veggies, right now, while I do my research. I'm also washing my hands far less often, which, oddly enough ,seems to mean I'm getting sick less often rather that more often. 95% of the time when I wash my hands,I really just rinse them with water and dry them anyway.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Regarding the TMI bit: you can order unbleached ones on Amazon and probably "earth-friendly" menstrual product sites. Not sure if sulphites would be a factor or if it would be convenient to your lifestyle, but sea sponge tampons are supposed to be pretty awesome. I've been meaning to get some for a while, though I would not be able to rinse them out at work due to no private bathrooms.

Have you been reading any of the resistant starch stuff? The basic idea is that eating resistant starch helps your gut population actually grow and stick around because you're providing it with really good food. That's how I simplify it anyway .
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• They also recommend that you rotate probiotics taken with resistant starch in order to make sure you are introducing a variety of good guys into your gut.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• I also had frequent ear infections and antibiotics when I was little. Weird how that stuff doesn't seem to matter until years later. There's so many different angles for mine; it's almost a perfect storm. When it started I was veg*n, incredibly sick, and on huge amounts of NSAIDs. When it got bad I was pounding raw fruit a veg (low starch) and months prior had attempted to reintroduce (organic, soaked, soured) wheat. I don't know how negatively being exposed to a different nation's biome could be, but I consider that a factor as well. Yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• I briefly glanced at RS, but that's all I've done. I may start looking into more than that, out of curiosity. I've looked at it a little more. How much am I aiming for per day, in terms of RS and types? I can't seem to find that info. I found something saying more than 32g is useless, but that didn't mention types. I also want to get it from food, not yet another supplement.
                          As to the TMI bit, I'm looking further into the Softcup (I have a box) to make sure it's safe. It's gotta be safer than the bleached crap, but I need to make sure the plastic bits are safe. As to the sponge, one thing I've seen is that they're really finicky about how they're placed and can be difficult to get out. Still researching those. In terms of the other bit of TMI, I've started trying to actively relax instead of ignore the pain, which seems to be helping.
                          I also found a variety of meat that is not abxed or hormoned at HEB for a comparable price to CAFO. It's not organic, but it's a decent compromise. Gonna start trying to use that.
                          I also figure the NSAIDs I've been on and off haven't helped.
                          I think I'm going to start with daily yogurt and home fermented pickles and see where it goes from there, as well as research RS.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• For RS, I think most people aim for about 40g per day? Check with Pebbles, she's having a lot of luck with it I believe. She's better about research than I am (or she acts like it!)

TMI: I hope the Softcup is a good option for you. They're super convenient esp. for exercising. I haven't been able to use a reusable menstrual cup with any success yet. I bought one a couple of years ago and just can't get it to sit comfortably. There are so many types and they're too expensive to keep trying different ones =\
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• I take 2 tbsp of potato starch (16g rs) with a probiotic in the evening.

Then I eat greenish bananas or dried plantains daily

I am aiming for 20+g rs. A little more would be ideal. I may try to add another tbsp of potato starch this summer.

So far, I have had better sleep, zero illnesses since Feb and further weightloss.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Hmmm.... HEB is open today. I may see if they have potato starch in the GF aisle. I thought I remembered passing over it. I've been getting bananas for PHD anyways, and I don't particularly like them once they start getting dark spots. I also need to do my probiotic research.
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X