Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    Oddly enough, I don't feel the desire to shop for clothing that I once did. It's not even being happy with my closet (though I am), but just lacking that "need." I wonder if maybe it was an outlet of some sort that is either being filled in other ways or that I've grown beyond.
    Matter of fact, I haven't needed any of my other "guilty pleasures" or bad habits. The only times I've bitten my nails were if one broke and caught on something. I haven't fiddled with something until breaking it in a REALLY long time. I haven't needed the escape of a book (although I do still read, but for joy, not escape.) I haven't had an implosive cry in quite a while, even when I was sick. I haven't had a cleaning frenzy (indicative of something in my head I don't want to deal with.)
    What happened? Why do I suddenly seem to be at peace and downright happy with who I am and what I have? Maybe this is the serenity Al Anon keeps harping on about. Maybe this is what happens when you do what you're supposed to do, rather than ramming your head into obstacle after obstacle and calling the Universe a bunch of jackasses.

My response to reading this was a sense of peace for you and a reminder to seeks this out for myself. Thanks for writing
    link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• Thanks, jac. It helps to hear I'm helping others, even in my madness.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Yesterday was perfect health primal until I got into the raspberry shortcake. Even then, had I left the angel food cake out of it, it would have just been a sugary primal. Anyways, dinner was brisket and potato salad and the aforementioned shortcake.
        I've also noticed my weight has finally been dropping, even on abx and during PMS week. Actually, it may be BECAUSE of the abx kicking out the infection inflammation. If that's the case, I may see a new low the day the Russians get in, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

I made a really hard phone call today: the ninth step call to my mother. Yeah, the one about making amends. The one about offering to rebuild bridges long since burnt.
          It... it went. I made some really difficult apologies. She came as close as my mother ever does to accepting an apology ("it's ok [insert rationalization here.]") I got a couple unexpected almost- apologies out of her, which blew me away. Most importantly, I got some sense of closure and a sense that the peace offering had been tentatively accepted. Strange, really.
          Moments like that surprise the fuck out of you, huh? It's funny, but even when there have been some hard moments and bad feelings exchanged, it seems like in the end we want to be at peace, especially with people we love.

I'm glad you were able to get that extra bit of solace and also that you were able to accept the sentiment behind the "almost apologies" (that one really struck a chord with me, great call) and not focus on the wording.

Also raspberry shortcake... NOM.

Eh, you're well over 80:20, you're eating good food constantly and recovering from sickness some glucose and butter to top up your tank is a bloody great idea

Emphasis not on the bloody

Comment

• Thanks, Reventon. Mom and I have had our ups and downs, but having an honest conversation with her about shit none of us had ever talked about kinda laid bare all the "who did whats" with a whip of honesty. I take the almost apologies because that's the best I'll ever get, I figure.
            Lunch was more brisket and potato salad.
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Dinner was spag sauce and squash. I have made an unfortunate correlation, one I was hoping I'd never see: onions appear to be a bad choice. Every time I eat onions (raw or in decent quantity), I get a headache and exceedingly tired. Dammit. I LIKE my onions, thankyouverymuch.
              My Latest Journal

Comment

Dinner was spag sauce and squash. I have made an unfortunate correlation, one I was hoping I'd never see: onions appear to be a bad choice. Every time I eat onions (raw or in decent quantity), I get a headache and exceedingly tired. Dammit. I LIKE my onions, thankyouverymuch.
                Damn that sucks

Had a similar realisation with nightshades recently. Only ones I've been able to manage are chilis because the capsaicin offsets the joint pain effect enough.

Have to say though, the reduction of symptoms is so worth it, even if I still crave a good tomato sauce, chips and baked eggplant like a junkie.

Maybe experimenting with a set time period of elimination will conclusively rule onions as responsible or not. Either way, hope you can get past the headaches.

Comment

• If the onions are true, it doesn't surprise me, given that they natively have sulfites in them. I seem to recall headaches (or full blown migraines on rare occasion) from eating onion heavy dishes when I was younger. Oddly enough, it seems if you caramelize them, even only to golden brown, it makes the onions safe, because "steak onions" and curries rarely have that reaction. I guess that makes sense, because by that time, you've cooked them long enough for most of the sulfur components to convert to sulfur dioxide and escape into the air.
                  I took measurements this morning. 23% body fat, by the Navy method and 15% by the YMCA method. Going by images, I think I probably split the difference at around 20%. Measurements were a 25.5" waist, 36.5" hip (not a typo), 21.5" thigh, 12.5" neck, 10" upper arm, and 5.5" wrist. Given that my weight has bounced back up to 118 and change, I think I'll be doing measurements and body fat calcs rather that the scale. Given what I want to look like, I think aiming to lose another 2-3% is my ideal goal, although I will admit that to be moving the goal posts. I originally said I just wanted to get into the "fitness" range. I think now, looking in the mirror, I'd like to get down to the low end of "fitness"/ high end of "athletic." That's roughly 20-21% body fat. That means losing.... wow, we're talking matters of 2-3 lbs. Hmmm. Maybe it's no longer losing weight, but watching inflammation and working out again. I think following a minimal sulfite perfect health diet would help and getting back into weights/ sprinting might kick me over the edge. What belly "flab" I have seems to vary based on what I ate. I think today's minor poof is the onion, maybe the goop that held the potato salad together (included small amounts of raw onions.)
                  I'm in a pretty good head space today, to be able to think that objectively about my physical appearance.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Absolutely. It's so easy to be over critical about this stuff. Awesome to see you're so close to your goals too

Comment

• Technically, I've overshot them by now. I'm just fine tuning it right now. I guess technically, I could start writing my Friday Success Story, if I wanted to.
                      Dinner appears to be mole pork chops with spicy strawberry garlic sauce and cinnamon apple rice.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Technically, I've overshot them by now. I'm just fine tuning it right now. I guess technically, I could start writing my Friday Success Story, if I wanted to.
                        Fantastic !Must feel like a great achievement. Well done!
                        link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• I'm proud of it, more than I care to admit. It's taken me 29 years to diagnose what's wrong with my body, what causes pain and puffiness. In 6 months, I dropped 10 lb and got some of it figured out. It took a doc and some serious elimination diets to find what the real problem was. Then I dropped another 10. I've been primal something like 4 years. If I'm not the poster child for slow weight loss, I've got them scared. It took 4 years, a doc, and experimentation to drop 20 lb.
                          I seem to have found a reasonably acceptable replacement for Ferrero Rocher. Lindt makes a hazelnut truffle that's safe and pretty same awesome.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

I'm proud of it, more than I care to admit. It's taken me 29 years to diagnose what's wrong with my body, what causes pain and puffiness. In 6 months, I dropped 10 lb and got some of it figured out. It took a doc and some serious elimination diets to find what the real problem was. Then I dropped another 10. I've been primal something like 4 years. If I'm not the poster child for slow weight loss, I've got them scared. It took 4 years, a doc, and experimentation to drop 20 lb.
                            I seem to have found a reasonably acceptable replacement for Ferrero Rocher. Lindt makes a hazelnut truffle that's safe and pretty same awesome.
                            You should be damn proud. Some people never achieve their goals, achieve optimal health or find a sense of peace within themselves. Hitting the trifecta is absolutely something worth taking pride in.

On top of that, there is nothing worse than feeling like a prisoner in your own body. Achieving a sense of personal emancipation makes all the numbers pale into insignificance. Nothing beats the liberation of the soul

Comment

And Honey was just talking about Lindt truffles last night.

Your dedication to figuring out what is right and good for your body is inspiring, Naiadknight. You should be as proud of yourself as we are, of you.

Comment

• Thanks, Reventon and Sabine. I am proud of myself for finding what makes my body and brain tick, mostly. I wouldn't say I've hit the trifecta, because I'm still working on optimal health.
                                I still have autoimmune, allergy, and inflammation issues, which are indicative of an overactive immune system. Think of a toddler: if you don't keep the kid busy, it's going to find ways to keep itself busy and you won't like what it does. It gets so wrapped up in what it's doing to keep itself busy, it ignores it's actual job. I need to figure out why my body redirected the immune system and what I need to do to get it back in the right direction. I can fight inflammation until I'm blue in the face, but that's a symptom, not a cause. I need to find out what put my immune system into overdrive and fix it before I can have optimal health. Right now, I have "optimal health*"
                                Everything I'm seeing indicates that if I can get my sulfite allergy under control and keep on top of my gut bacteria, it should slowly start to resolve itself. Gut bacteria is easy right now, 'm just coming off an antbiotic, so I need to start replacing what it killed off with good stuff. Getting the sulfite allergy under control is more difficult. I'm still trying to figure out what's no longer safe for me. I think if I can do those two things, I can get to optimal health.
                                Last edited by naiadknight; 03-05-2014, 06:26 AM.
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X