Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Sqqueeee legos and monitors! Awesome
    and Gaiman and Pratchett. I am totally living vicariously through Naiad right now.

Comment

• Awesome is definitely the word for the birthday love - yay for Lego

Comment

• Niiiice birthday prezzies! Happy happy belated, and I hope the stomach is doing better!

My Sweetie got me the Architecture Legos set for Christmas! /boasting

I gave the "NO" t-shirt to my son-in-law. It suits him perfectly!

Comment

• I'm rather happy with them. We have the Falcon about 40% complete.
          Goldie, there are a few of the Architecture series I want, but most of them are too simple for my tastes. If they ever come out with one for Reunion Tower or the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge, I'll be on that like stink on shit!
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Meant to work more on the Falcon last night, but both Geek and I fell asleep in front of the telly on the futon last night.
            I am inflamed and in pain from the junk I've eaten the past couple days, but I declare the Blizzard cake and cheese biscuits totally worth it. The corny dogs? Not so much.
            Last night's dinner was a Madras fish soup, as Geek ate at his folks' place last night after doing some stuff with his mother. (He didn't intend to, but his mother has the habit of "Oh, you must be hungry," and fixing you food, whether or not you want it.) Would have been better with more coconut milk, carrots, broccoli, and tomatoes, but it worked.
            Today we cover Kirchoff's Laws in class, as we did Ohm's Law yesterday. It's a simple concept in theory but difficult to enact in practice, especially with as little algebra as these kids know.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Speaking of Lego...... Naiadknight I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in here and asking your take on this:

Our little town is having Mini Makers Fair and my son (15 yr old) and I are thinking of having a booth to sell his Lego. The ideas is to have kids (adults welcome too) come in and build whatever they want and then it's sold to them by weight. We are thinking of having a separate price for mini figs with accessories. What do you think? I know we will have to control how many builders we let into the booth at time.

I feel like it's a good idea but it sounds like a lot of work and neither one of is really a "kid" person. I guess we could say something like kids under X age must be accompanied by an adult and of course no kids under 3. Also I have no idea how much to charge. Any way I'm just trying to figure out what to do with all the Lego. My son still builds but he only uses black, brown and grey pieces because for the last 2 yrs all he's been building is replica weapons.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Urban Forager-
                Poke away! I'm happy to answer what I can.
                If you aren't comfortable with the clientele, I'd definitely have a "parents required" rule; but be aware that enforcing it may be difficult. Many kids will make a beeline for the toys and some will be so engrossed by the idea that they won't listen to you telling them to get their folks. Be prepared for meltdowns, especially for those that have parents that refuse to buy whatever it is the kid builds or because Little Johnny stole the last one of the specialty piece Little Susie wanted.
                If you do go through with it, I'd say a weight per creation cost is a good idea. Figure out what the entire collection weighs, and then figure out what your going rate will be. In terms of pricing, a buck an ounce seems like it would be fair, maybe a little less if you're really just trying to get rid of everything. I'd say have a "premium" add on for something that involves lots of the little specialty pieces, since those made the original kits cost more and they'll disappear faster. Maybe jack that rate up to $1.20/ ounce. Beware you may get adults like me coming up and rooting through your buckets, hoping you have that piece they've wanted forever. In cases like that, you'll obviously hafta adjust the cost.
                In terms of making sure you don't get screwed, double check all your minifigs and specialty pieces (like trees and stuff) online to make sure you're not selling something REALLLY rare for way too little. Some of those are going for mucho money nowadays.
                My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thanks Naiadknight, those are some good things to think about. I probably should find out if some of the stuff we have is rare. We have some pieces from sets that belonged to my sister's kids that are now in their late 20s, so it's possible some of that stuff is rare. It's just so much stuff, we really need to do something with it all. Fortunately most of it is organized into categories so that helps.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• OMFG. Another test, another round of failures.
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Apparently, my maiden name has a true coat of arms dating back to 1066. Even more interesting, the distaste for the idea of fate appears to be familial: the family motto is "fato prudentia major", meaning "prudence is more important that fate."
                      Even more curious, there is a coat of arms for my mother's maiden name as well, with a motto of "Dum spiro spero"- "While I breathe, I hope."
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• All the fun of a fever with none of the love from Geek (out of town.)
                        Got an interview offer yesterday that went nowhere, because people in large cities can not understand "unwilling to relocate."
                        People at school that can't understand sub instructions unless it's spoonfed directly to them. (Seriously, I put what the kids were to do in the body of my sub request.)
                        I tried going back to sleep and restarting the day, only to wake up with a fever still. May go back to sleep again, or watch bad daytime telly.
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• I've done some research and I think I'm going to give the Perfect Health Diet a try, with the added Hashimoto's twist. In other words:
                          -2 cups of rice or potatoes per day (since I don't eat the other "safe starches.")
                          -1 lb fruit/ root veggies
                          -1 lb "other" vegetation
                          -0.5-1 lb meat
                          -all within an 8 hour daylight window (the hard part)
                          -adding blackout liners to the bedroom curtains and finding a way to block out the edges
                          -daytime sun exposure beyond just hands, arms, face, and feet (still trying to figure out how I'll do that one when it's frigid out.)
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• I am having great success on the PHD. I feel like a different person, happier, more stable, physically stronger.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Today was a semi success with PHD. I got the starches, half the veggies/ fruits, and a cup of the other veg at best. I did get the meat in. How the hell I'm supposed to eat THAT much food baffles me. I thought about strawberries after my IF cut off, but decided against it.
                              Lunch: carob mole' pork chops, leftover steak, apple, carrot, blueberries, and rice pilaf (made with chicken bone broth)
                              Dinner: Dickey's- brisket, turkey breast, polish sausage (not much), mustard potato salad, french fries, and a caesar salad, with unsweet tea.
                              Drank more water throughout the day than usual, which is a good thing. Went through roughly 36 oz water at work, plus 20 oz tea, plus half a water bottle to wash down my pills in the morning.
                              The hard parts right now are definitely sunlight and eating only during daylight hours.
                              Still need to get blackout material for the curtains.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Talk about a RTFM moment. I just realized I was trying to eat nearly twice what I was supposed to.
                                -1 lb starch
                                -1 lb fruit/root
                                - other veggies as desired
                                - 0.5- 1 lb meat.
                                Heh. Oops.
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X