No announcement yet.

Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't mind polite disagreement or debate. If it's an attempt to pull me off topic, I might say "meet me after school and we can talk more about it," but if it's related to the subject matter at hand, I'm fairly relaxed. It's direct insubordination and attempts to bully me into letting them get their way that don't fly. I'm not letting a student break school and district rules because they think they're a special snowflake. (I do make rare exceptions for special circumstances, like bending the phone rule for a young mother or a kid in a difficult at home.)
    Today was relatively uneventful aside from Old Man Winter pissing all over us again. Another farking ice storm. I had to travel from school to school, too. I had to chisel ice off my windshield twice.
    I got a LOT of AHA! moments, which I LOVE seeing. That point where a student who walked in not caring ends up getting it and trying in class just lights me up. Seeing a students have the lightbulb moment is all the impetus I need when it's a difficult day. (Discipline was off today because the weather had everyone antsy.) I even got some in my overly talkative 8th period today. I think my favorite was a child that has had truancy issues getting the basic idea of equal and opposite force and talking about how she liked the way I taught. Hell, this was what I consider to be a chalk and talk day. Yes, I forced class participation, but it was mostly lecture. Many of them seem to really like the idea of "Show of hands for yes. Show of hands for no. Show of hands for confused." that I use. They also seemed to like that I reach for concrete examples (literally pushing a desk and pulling on my marker, stuff they can do or have done.)
    Not bad for fasting through lunch. I forgot to take my lunchbox home yesterday, I had several kids that wanted to come in over my lunch period for tutoring, and travel from one school to another took longer than usual.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• So neat to hear your teaching stories.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I'm really enjoying it. This week has FLOWN by.
        Classes have been cancelled for tomorrow due to weather. Goodbye, Mr. Alarm. This also gives me a chance to grade their spaghetti bridge analyses and participation bell ringers, as well as double check the grades the subs put in.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• NK, this is GREAT! The U.S. needs more teachers like you, especially in the math/science/technology areas.

The first good science teacher I had wasn't until I took chem in college. It was thanks to him that one of my college majors became biology, and thanks to him for showing me that math had an actual use! I had many "ah ha!" moments in his class; I know just what your students are feeling.

You can get to kids before they ever reach college. This is WONDERFUL!

Comment

• I wouldn't go congratulating me just yet. I'm still kinda bumbling along and figuring it out. I do think I seem to be putting the STEM bug in many of their heads, or encouraging it to grow if it was already there, so I seem to be doing SOMETHING right.
            The kids seem to like me, though, and definitely seem to like the class, if not necessarily the material. I think they'll really like second semester, at least the beginning. We're gonna do the marble coaster, and I'm gonna have them design it online in the computer lab first, then build it, to give them a taste of the real engineering world and appeal to their need to be plugged in. (It's a career and tech course, so most of them want to be able to use the skills they learn in the real world.)
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
              Talking about your student that had to be sent to the office, Caitlyn has been to the principals office several times this school for politely making points of disagreement with teachers. One of her teachers sent me an email saying that "Caitlyn is a great student in class, but I do not appreciate her polite debate." I responded with, "I have advised all of my children to question with boldness and do it politely, anything they feel may be incorrect. You can't expect people to learn without questioning and maybe you need to change careers or at least ask yourself WHY you got into teaching in the first place." I never heard another response. Caitlyn has not been sent to the principals office as of late.
              Geo, this is fantastic, and don't either of you ever change!

Second made this comment yesterday, just before we took off for the Mythbusters stage show we had tickets for: "Mom, I couldn't go to public school at this point. I would get kicked out for questioning everything." Me: "And don't ever stop, sweetie, even with me."

Second is a life-long homeschooler, and like you, I have taught her to question everything over which she has a real concern, or knows to be incorrect. It goes without saying that it needs be done respectfully, but she will always have my support in the process.

Re Mythbusters - YEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Crabcakes, I really do feel that the year of home schooling did Caitlyn a lot of good. She has plans of going to our local vocational school for cosmetology and then going to college to study law. I would do homeschooling with my other 2 daughters, but with them both being in band, they would not be able to be a part of it.
                Georgette

Comment

• I try to reach every kid, and encourage creativity/ free thought. There are some where it just can't happen because my class size is just too large and I hafta keep away from utter chaos. There are some kids in my course that would do infinitely better with the individualized attention of home schooling, because chaos at home keeps them from learning or being awake enough to learn, or because even my class is too locked in step for their minds to really thrive. (Since mine doesn't have state/ district testing, I have a freer hand in what we do, but there are still certain regs I hafta meet.)
                  I do find it interesting that several of my students who are apparently giving other teachers trouble and not getting work in to them because of home life are some of my star pupils or are at least trying pretty hard/ not giving me issue. I gotta wonder what it is I managed to get through to them in the less than a week of teaching that these teachers haven't in all semester.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Mentor made the suggestion that I create a list of all I do to keep myself physically and mentally healthy and what not doing those things does to me, both for healing purposes (to see how far I've come compared to where I once was) and as something to keep on me as a reminder to stay away from bad things.
                    Things I do to keep myself healthy:
                    -avoid sulphites; including wheat and dough conditioners, canned goods, molasses, wine, vinegar, brown sugar, modified corn products (corn syrup, corn starch, modified food starch, etc.), labeled sulphites, cured meats, lunch meats, colorings (especially caramel coloring), chocolate, canonla/ rapeseed/ processed industrial oils and ALL preservatives. I avoid these to avoid pain in the form of nausea, migraines, and joint pain, as well as avoiding mental illness.
                    - avoid dairy, except cream and butter, for digestive and respiratory stresses due to lactose intolerance.
                    - avoid refined sugar to avoid joint pain, especially in the neck.
                    - get enough sleep (8-9 hours) to prevent depression, anxiety and mental illness relapses.
                    - avoid soy to avoid thyroid complication which can lead to joint pain, fatigue, and mental illness relapses.
                    - avoid triggering subject matter (visual, audio, etc) to prevent mental illness relapses, except in a safe environment.
                    - take medication, including supplements, for thyroid, lung, and mental support.

Things I should really do more often to keep myself healthy:
                    - exercise, in form of weights and/ or yoga, for strength and to ward off pain.
                    - meditate, for mental health and, to a lesser extent, physical health.
                    - read Al- Anon lit, for healing steps.
                    - ground and release (mildly different from meditation.)
                    - laugh, even at the simple things.
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Still cold as fuck (wind chill in the single digits). USPS lies like a cheap whore and claims they tried to deliver my package yesterday around 7, which is funny, because I was awake and in my living room at 7 and no one knocked on my door or rang the doorbell. Means they went to the wrong house, which is awesome. My address is not hard. My street is not an oddball culdesac nor are the numbers out of order. If you know basic address stuff, you'd know my house is in the middle of the block. Read the numbers on the driveway. We all have 'em. Don't try and hand it to my neighbor when it has my address. My street name cannot be confused with any of the surrounding streets. I fail to see why this is difficult to deliver to the right home.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                        Still cold as fuck (wind chill in the single digits). USPS lies like a cheap whore and claims they tried to deliver my package yesterday around 7, which is funny, because I was awake and in my living room at 7 and no one knocked on my door or rang the doorbell. Means they went to the wrong house, which is awesome. My address is not hard. My street is not an oddball culdesac nor are the numbers out of order. If you know basic address stuff, you'd know my house is in the middle of the block. Read the numbers on the driveway. We all have 'em. Don't try and hand it to my neighbor when it has my address. My street name cannot be confused with any of the surrounding streets. I fail to see why this is difficult to deliver to the right home.
                        I have a UPS package that went through Dallas and just stopped - they won't even estimate when I'll get it!
                        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Today in the Al Anon lit, there was a passage regarding problems. See them as a mountain. Snow can not pile and pile without eventually collapsing and causing an avalanche. Problems and worries are the same way. They, too, eventually avalanche. It is not for me to add to the pile or try to trigger the avalanche or protect another from their own avalanche. The best thing for me to do is try and get out of the way. Same goes for an avalanche of my own. The intelligent person does not stand and wait for the avalanche to take them. They take precautionary measures to avoid it or get out of it's path. It is not for me to determine another's avalanche, nor save them from it. They can not learn if they are continually being saved from themselves. I cannot learn if I allow myself to be continually buried beneath the snow without finding a way to come up for air. It is not for me to add snow to another's or my own mountain, life does it on it's own. With the correct care, I can slow the time between avalanches, making them infrequently. (As a sidenote, I think this metaphor applies not only to myself, but how I interact with my middle sister and family, and how I interact with my students. I may not be able to prevent or save them from their own avalanche, but I can keep from adding on to it.)
                          One of the storms that only serves to add on snow and ice is eating in a way that exacerbates my food sensitivities. I've been eating pretty shittily, with the excuse of the ice storm. Yes, we had healthy food, but it made for a GREAT excuse.... Storm's over, so shitty eating is over, RIGHT? Right.
                          Another is worry. Worry adds on imaginary snow that turns real on impact. Worry is useless. Planning ahead is a good idea, taking care of past misbehaviors through current actions is great. Just sitting there and worrying? Bad idea.
                          I'm sure there are other piles of snow I can keep from adding on unnecessarily.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Twibble- UPS has struck a deal with USPS for "Surepost." Mine got handed off to the post office at some point, even though they shipped it UPS. Same thing might have happened to yours. It got handed off to the post office, but the post office won't say they have it until it lands at your door step, because the tracking number changes. You hafta call UPS, get out of their phone tree and talk to a human (a task to make even Hercules say "fuck it"), get the USPS tracking number, and keep tracking it on USPS.
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

• And now for the latest episode in the saga of the boots: USPS has lost my package. Mailman has already delivered today, and my package isn't at the post office. Sad thing is, if they had knocked on the right door in the first place, we wouldn't be having this problem. All I want are my boots. (Well, that and a mailman that isn't completely inept.)
                              I'm a hair's trigger away from booting some instigators out of my third period. These little yutz's have no clue what respect or quiet are. I think I may be THAT evil teacher and separate their desks from the rest and from each other, just to drive the point home that you don't talk in class unless given permission.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Exhausted. This cold, on top of grading, keeping the classroom from outright chaos, creating review sheets and midterms, and the staff Christmas party for the morning HS have me wiped.
                                Speaking of staff Christmas party, I want to know whose brilliant idea it was to have the staff/ faculty Christmas party during the week of subjective finals. Yes, I'm creating and grading midterms and gearing my kids up to pass their multiple guess objective test. OF COURSE I have time for that party... I went, just to make a good showing. The food sucked. Neither dish offered was sulfite free. One had a white wine sauce and the other had some 'shroom sauce. I got the 'shroom sauced one and got a headache. Came home after that, and graded while I talked to Geek and ate sushi.
                                The Saga of the Boots and USPS: They finally came in. Today. Fucking inept mailman took 3 days to find the right damn house. They fit, though. Apparently, in Docs, I wear a size 3/5 (men's women's.) They're the black side zip 60 eyes (knee high combat boots.) I love 'em.
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X