Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission possible: Quest to become keto adapted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mission possible: Quest to become keto adapted

    So today is day 1. Technically I have been pretty low carb for the last few days, but I will just start with day one today. It's a Monday, and a good place to start.

    It's 1:44pm and I'm up to 26g of carb already. My goal was to try to stay at 20g.....that didn't work. So I guess my new goal for the day is 30g of carb, lol!!! Trying to not stay overly focused on calories right now. Currently sitting at 44g of protein, which means I need to eat a lot more protein before the day is over. My protein goal is 110g.

    Basically this is an experiment on myself. I want to see how it feels to be fully keto adapted. Will I have soaring energy? Newfound calm and inner peace? Will my depression be better? Will I be able to shed the weight that I want to get rid of? This is what I want to know. I want to do six weeks. Not sure if I will make it that long with Xmas looming just around the corner, but I'm going to try.

  • #2
    Good luck! Focus on eating your meats and fats first and I would reckon it shouldn't be so difficult. Lots of it is mental though, so stay tough.

    Note, I'm not saying don't eat veggies, all the contrary you should pile them on as far as they're not starchy (I ate truckloads of the leafy green kind when I was doing this myself) but as far as staving off hunger goes, meat and fat are your friends.

    Plan meals ahead, and diversify so you don't get bored. Get the primal blueprint cookbook or something like that for ideas.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks so much!!! I'm actually pretty excited about it! Yeah, I'm thinking it would be best for me to focus on meats and fats early in the day, and then when dinner comes around I can freely have the non starchy veggies that I want without having to worry about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Woke up this morning feeling like I'm catching a cold and also with a headache. Dare I say, carb flu has begun.

        Did a HIIT workout today for 30 mins. Thought I would have a harder time getting through it, but it went pretty well. Today's food seems to be a bit more balanced, a bit less fat and a little more protein, which is good because yesterday I didn't make it to 110g of protein. Even so, I'm not sure I'm going to make it there today either. I'm at 58g of protein right now, which means I'm really going to have to pack some protein in for dinner. Feeling pretty good though. Would be nice to have a nap if I can manage it.
        Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ending the day at 2150 cals, 70% fat, 23% protein. Still not in ketosis according to keto stix. I did make my protein goal though, in fact went over just slightly. I would like to keep calories below 2000, more like around 1800 would be good. So far a good day.

          Comment


          • #6
            Took measurements this morning as I have been every two weeks since the beginning of October. I have lost a little here and there, but it's not as drastic as it was two weeks ago, which I was expecting since I have changed my diet. Still not showing to be in ketosis by ketostix either. Cravings for carbs/sugar were really bad last night. I *almost* gave in and had some candy, but I didn't. I decided to have an apple, which put me around 55 net carbs yesterday which is a lot higher than what I wanted to be at. I'm going to stop tracking calories because it's actually making me eat more and stressing me out a bit. I did have too many nuts yesterday, especially last night when the sugar cravings were hitting me hard. My goal today is just one oz of walnuts and no more and to keep net carbs at 20 or less. I'm going to focus primarily on meats and fats for breakfast and lunch and save any veggie for dinner time.

            Also going to order some raw organic cream today for my coffee, yumm!!! Can't wait to try that!

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, so ketostix turned positive on Wed afternoon which is great. Was doing fine until yesterday, I ran out of my uncured organic bacon, so had regular bacon instead. Ever since then, I've had horrible stomach pains, so bad that I was thinking about going to the hospital in the middle of the night. I couldn't sleep. I'm still having the pains, although not as bad as last night, and I woke this morning feeling hungover.....pounding headache, my heart was pounding so loud I could hear it in my ears, and the tummy pains. I'm drinking a ton of water which seems to have helped the headache a bit, so I think I was dehydrated. I'll have to get this figured out because I drank a ton of water yesterday, but I just pee it all out rather quicky.

              So, maybe I have a tummy bug? Maybe I'm having a reaction to the cured bacon? Not sure. Going to have broth if I get hungry which I'm not really anticipating. Feels like my small intestine is extremely inflamed. Any time I just move a little or touch it, I get terrible sharp pains. *sigh*

              Comment


              • #8
                About to go to bed, stomach is still hurting but I was able to eat a little bit this evening. Hoping I wake up tomorrow and the pain is gone. I was very dilligent today in making sure I got plenty of water, some Natural Calm to replace potassium and magnesium, and plenty of salt. It really helped me feel a lot better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Woke up today feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! I got some really good sleep last night finally, and my stomach is feeling much better. I think it's was a tummy bug.

                  I have realized the importance of making sure to get plenty of water and electrolytes while being in ketosis. It's the difference between feeling great and feeling like shit. Yesterday I woke up dehydrated and feeling utterly hung over. It was horrible. This morning I woke up feeling amazing.

                  Cravings for carbs/sugar are pretty much gone. When I see carbs are sugar, I still think to myself that it looks or smells good. But I no longer crave to have it. I can leave it without feeling deprived or upset about it. This ketosis is pretty amazing.
                  I'm very excited to see what the next few weeks is going to feel like for me as I become better adapted to using ketones. I fasted most of the day yesterday which makes me think, maybe I can do 24hr fasts if I want to without incident. Maybe I will throw one in next week and see how it goes. I was avoiding them because of the fear that it would drive me to binge. But maybe that won't happen anymore. We shall see!

                  I really want to take some time today to meditate and work on opening my chakras. I meant to do it several days ago but haven't really had the chance. That's my goal for today, get some meditative work in.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Today started off well and then progressively has gotten worse over the day as far as the stomach goes. Every time I try to eat something I end up with a horrible stomach ache. Don't even know if I'm going to attempt dinner.

                    Just had dinner, bacon and brussel sprouts. So far I'm feeling ok with it. Interesting observation: I had a vew slices of apple earlier today with some almond butter because nothing else sounded good. After dinner tonight I started craving sweets really bad, like the old cravings that I used to get. Interesting that it's possible that bit of sugar I had today possibly triggered more cravings for sugar tonight. Tomorrow I resume with no fruit, it's just easier that way.
                    Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                      Woke up today feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! I got some really good sleep last night finally, and my stomach is feeling much better. I think it's was a tummy bug.

                      I have realized the importance of making sure to get plenty of water and electrolytes while being in ketosis. It's the difference between feeling great and feeling like shit. Yesterday I woke up dehydrated and feeling utterly hung over. It was horrible. This morning I woke up feeling amazing.

                      Cravings for carbs/sugar are pretty much gone. When I see carbs are sugar, I still think to myself that it looks or smells good. But I no longer crave to have it. I can leave it without feeling deprived or upset about it. This ketosis is pretty amazing.
                      I'm very excited to see what the next few weeks is going to feel like for me as I become better adapted to using ketones. I fasted most of the day yesterday which makes me think, maybe I can do 24hr fasts if I want to without incident. Maybe I will throw one in next week and see how it goes. I was avoiding them because of the fear that it would drive me to binge. But maybe that won't happen anymore. We shall see!

                      I really want to take some time today to meditate and work on opening my chakras. I meant to do it several days ago but haven't really had the chance. That's my goal for today, get some meditative work in.
                      It's important to get enough salt. I drink two mugs a day of beef bouillon. If I don't have my broth, I can feel dehydrated and unwell or could fall into a headache. I always feel great when in ketosis and now I can pretty much fall into it easily and quickly. Watch how much protein you are taking in --- to much protein will prevent you from going into ketosis and the fastest way to get into ketosis is to increase those fats substantially. Anyway, don't forget the salt -- it's critical.
                      ----------------------------------------
                      F, 48, 5'10"
                      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                      Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                        It's important to get enough salt. I drink two mugs a day of beef bouillon. If I don't have my broth, I can feel dehydrated and unwell or could fall into a headache. I always feel great when in ketosis and now I can pretty much fall into it easily and quickly. Watch how much protein you are taking in --- to much protein will prevent you from going into ketosis and the fastest way to get into ketosis is to increase those fats substantially. Anyway, don't forget the salt -- it's critical.
                        Yes I totally agree, the salt is EXTREMELY important. Could be the reason why a lot of folks don't feel well when in ketosis. If you don't have your salt intake for the day, it makes you feel pretty crappy.

                        I was initially eating too much protein I think. Now I just listen to my body. If I'm craving meat, then I have some, but I'm definately not keeping track and trying to hit a certain protein mark anymore. I think that might be why it took me so many days to get into ketosis in the first place.
                        Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Alrighty, woke up feeling even better this morning. I'm just praying that today I can eat normally without any pain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                            Alrighty, woke up feeling even better this morning. I'm just praying that today I can eat normally without any pain.
                            Have a great keto-day. Let us know how you make out.
                            ----------------------------------------
                            F, 48, 5'10"
                            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                            Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello there!
                              I have a little question, Im pretty new at this: how does a 30g per day carb day look like?
                              Thanks and keep going strong!
                              "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X