Mission possible: Quest to become keto adapted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Have a great keto-day. Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks so much!! About to post an update for the day.

Originally posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Hello there!
    I have a little question, Im pretty new at this: how does a 30g per day carb day look like?
    Thanks and keep going strong!
    Well, I think the easiest way to figure out carbs in foods is to track your foods with an online calorie tracker when you are first starting out. That's what I did. After awhile you get the feel of what veggies are higher carb, what's lower carb and then you can kinda just wing it. I started this keto experiement tracking calories for the first three days or so, but it was getting too stressful so I stopped. But for the purposes of starting out it's good to figure out how many carbs you are eating (I tracked a lot when I first went Primal in April so I could get a feel of how many carbs/fats/protein and calories I was actually eating).

Since I don't track my macros anymore, it's hard for me to tell you what 30g of carbs a day would be. I don't think I even get close to eating 30g of carbs a day now.

Comment

So today was a really good eating day, my stomach is all better now thank goodness! I'm pretty low carb.....like, a lot low carb. Having maybe a serving or two of low carb veggie in my meals, but that's about it. I hope I'm getting enough, but I find that I simply don't have the appetite to eat a plate loaded with veggies anymore like I used to. I have really upped my fat intake a lot. I'm still feeling some lingering carb flu symptoms but overall I'm feeling really good. Energy is definately more level and I have noticed that I have a really hard time taking a nap now. Like, I have too much energy in the afternoon to nap anymore. But I have been sleeping really well the last couple nights, love it! Also, my moods have been much more even keel, I have a lot more patience with my kids especially and those are really big for me. That's some of the biggest reasons why I wanted to do this in the first place, so I'm really excited that it's actually working. Looking forward to getting the next week under my belt to see how I'm feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
        Thanks so much!! About to post an update for the day.

Well, I think the easiest way to figure out carbs in foods is to track your foods with an online calorie tracker when you are first starting out. That's what I did. After awhile you get the feel of what veggies are higher carb, what's lower carb and then you can kinda just wing it. I started this keto experiement tracking calories for the first three days or so, but it was getting too stressful so I stopped. But for the purposes of starting out it's good to figure out how many carbs you are eating (I tracked a lot when I first went Primal in April so I could get a feel of how many carbs/fats/protein and calories I was actually eating).

Since I don't track my macros anymore, it's hard for me to tell you what 30g of carbs a day would be. I don't think I even get close to eating 30g of carbs a day now.
        Thanks for the reply! I have been using Myfitnesspal for a few weeks and I cannot seem to get under the 100g carb per day mark. Ill keep on trying!
        "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have been using Myfitnesspal for a few weeks and I cannot seem to get under the 100g carb per day mark. Ill keep on trying!
          That's probably because you are going by total carbs rather than net carbs. When counting carbs, you can subtract fiber carbs from your carb total. Fiber does not affect insulin levels and therefore does not have to be included when counting carbs.

Comment

So today has been a good day, but I have noticed that I have been having cravings for sugar/carbs a bit this evening. Wonder what that's about...

Note to self: A whole Lindt 90% chocolate bar does not knock me out of ketosis.
            Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
              That's probably because you are going by total carbs rather than net carbs. When counting carbs, you can subtract fiber carbs from your carb total. Fiber does not affect insulin levels and therefore does not have to be included when counting carbs.
              You are totally RIGHT!!! I was looking into total carbs! But, if so... Then Ive been under the 100g mark for a few weeks now, no weight being lost though... However I am determined to keep this as a lifestyle!

Comment

Well yesterday was interesting to say the least. I ended up in the emergency room for most of the day, for what I thought was appendicitis....again. Turns out it was a ruptured ovarian cyst. Considering I didn't get home and eat until late at night, I have officially done a 24 hour fast. Not that I intended to, but that's just how it ended up working out. I was actually fine through the whole day, until the afternoon. They wouldn't give me any water so I got extremely thirsty and I really needed salt pretty badly, so I had a ton of water and some black olives when I got home. Took a short nap, woke and then had a small meal. So far today I'm feeling a little better, still having some pain but nothing like it was yesterday.

So I'm looking forward to doing another 24hr fast, but intentional this time, lol!! Maybe next week.

Comment

You are totally RIGHT!!! I was looking into total carbs! But, if so... Then Ive been under the 100g mark for a few weeks now, no weight being lost though... However I am determined to keep this as a lifestyle!
                  You just have to give it time. And also make sure that you are not eating too much, or too little for that matter.

Comment

Had a dietary slip last night that knocked me out of ketosis. Back at it again today though.

Comment

OMG, seems very serious to have a ruptured ovarian cyst, hope you are recovering well!

Comment

OMG, seems very serious to have a ruptured ovarian cyst, hope you are recovering well!
                        I seem to be doing ok. I still have pain but it's not as bad.

Comment

Ok, so yesterday wasn't really a good day eating wise. I had a lot of candy, and then for dinner I had pizza. So I'm hoping to fast for most of the day today, hopefully until dinner time so I can use up some of this glycogen. I tell ya, I'm really feeling it today from eating the wheat. My joints hurt and my skin is sore. So gross, SO NOT WORTH IT. And I can also tell that I am retaining a ton of water. I will be very happy once all this water is gone and I'm back in ketosis. My guess is that it's probably going to take 3 days or so, but I'm hoping it's less. It's always so hard to get going again when I've gone off track, makes me wonder why I allow myself to go off track in the first place. And it's especially frustrating because when I had the candy day before yesterday, I wasn't even craving it. I was upset about some other things, and my coping mechanism is to eat candy.

Maybe next time I should just have a glass of wine instead, lol!!! I don't drink anymore really, but I would almost rather do that than eat candy for two days. *sigh*

Comment

I totally get what you mean when suddenly some wheat crawled its way back into your gut... And you feel the effects that havent been felt in a while. So not worth it!!
                            Have you tried dark chocolate instead of candy?

Comment

Ok....to say I have fallen off the wagon a little would be a gross understatement. I feel absolutely disgusting, my body is hurting pretty bad, my cold feels worse, my skin is hurts. I'm done. Just, done.

No time like the present to hop back on the wagon. I have to, because I can't go another day feeling like this. I just can't.

Comment

Feeling much better than I did yesterday, although I'm still having some lingering effects from my poor eating. Some stomach cramping today and runs, but my skin feels much better. Still slightly sore, but overall a lot better.

I'm really going to try to focus on not snacking. I busted through my calorie goal yesterday, ended up eating about 300 more calories than I wanted to. Of course I know that once I get back into ketosis my appetite will decrease a little bit. But even so, I was still snacking when I was in ketosis before, and really it probably wasn't necessary. So my plan of attack to this is two sided: 1) I won't buy the items that tempt me to snack, like nuts and nut butters, and 2) before I actually go to the kitchen to get something to eat, I want to really sit and evaluate why it is that I'm wanting food. I would say nine times out of ten, the reasons are not because I'm actually hungry. I think more likely is that I'm stressed, bored, feeling emotional, etc. I want to get out of the habit of eating for other reasons than being actually hungry. This is something that I have struggled with for as long as I can remember, all the way back to child hood. And I see that my children are starting to do the same thing, mostly wanting to eat when they are bored, and I don't want them to have that habit either. I want to set a good example for them.

In tracking my calories, I'm still not sure that I am getting enough protein. I think I ended the day yesterday around 75% fat, which scares me a little bit. I'm wondering if I should increase protein a little, but I'm not really sure what to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X