ZoŽ's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatcha mean? The carbs?
    They're delicious and I am never over 65g of carbs/day. Plus, I have to keep higher carbs anyways since I am lower in protein. Gluconeogenesis is necessary while in ketosis... that means that in the process of providing the brain and red blood cells with glucose some of your protein is stolen for the conversion. Keeping out of ketosis means my protein can be lower since I gain weight (fat) with more than 80g of protein/day. It sucks... I gained 10 pounds on zero-carb before I gave up and tired something new. My average carbs for this week (so far) is 46.5 total (7g of fiber makes it about 40 net).

I lost some weight doing this approach last month but I was on spring break for a week and a half and my family eats lots of grain... I ended up giving in most of the time and so I'm back at square one. 2 years ago I was 100 pounds (way too skinny, addicted to cardio, etc.). WTF happened?!
    Last edited by ZoŽ; 04-17-2010, 12:09 AM.

Comment

But you're so tall! How could you be 100?! Y_Y

I don't know, man. All I'm saying is sweet potatoes are nasty :P
      "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
      -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Yeah, I was SKINNY! It was pretty bad.
        I was eating hardly anything becasue it was "healthy to restrict calories" and then I decided I wanted to live and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I gained 15 pounds super quick (in about a month) and then I maintained that for about 6 months by continuing to dieting strictly because I was scared of gaining so much weight (the 15 pounds in a month is enough to scare anyone). I also ran like 5 miles/day and lifted weights 3x/week for 1 hour+. My hair started falling out and I was always sick. Anyways, fast forward to now and I'm overweight from eating "healthy" to appetite (because I gave up on restricting food forever... it just wasn't going to happen) and saying yes to desert occasionally instead of avoiding it like the plague . I guess my body didn't like what I did and now I am in the low 160's. Dammit. Even zero carb made me gain 10 pounds (from 155 a few months ago). At least I am learning what my body does/doesn't like now.

Wait, sweet potatoes are nasty?? What kind of potatoes have you tired? They are delicious! I put like 2.5 tablespoons of butter in 1/2 cup, haha!
        Last edited by ZoŽ; 04-17-2010, 12:25 AM.

Comment

4/16

Food
          B: bacon
          L: IF
          D: buttered sweet potato & bacon
          s: 'breakfast' sausage

Fitness:
          1 hour+ walk. I wanted to lift heavy but I am still super sore from a few days ago.

Comment

Aaw, that's so sad! But still 160 for your height seems like a healthy weight. I mean, if I compare our BMIs then I'm a lot more overweight than you are. I wish I was as close to 'normal weight' as you are. But it seems so far......
            I haven't seen you but according to your numbers I'd say you have nothing to complain about!

I never liked sweet potatoes, probably because in my family they're huge fans of potatoes and I find the sweetness of yams and sweet potatoes bizarre... Not that I'm criticizing you for your food choices, it's just that I haven't had potatoes in so loooong!

Reading your "report" I've realized that I never eat dinner... so it's like I IF every day... Though I have been doing that for years and it doesn't seem to do anything for me :/
            -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

ZoŽ, your experience with weight loss/gain sounds like mine! (Though I wasn't so active.) I dropped 50lbs with calorie restriction (but on a semi-paleo-type diet) but lost my period and then added more fat and starch to gain back, at first, 15lbs, then 10 more lbs, then 10 more... Now I'm about 20-25lbs overfat. It could easily be a lot worse, I find I am sensitive to certain foods in that they bring on rampant cravings (kind of like your relationship with nuts). But here's to losing weight in a more healthy manner, and achieving a slender figure while maintaining excellent health, eh?

Comment

Heya ZoŽ,

Just stopped by to let you know that I just managed to catch up on my hiking today...and my plants say hi... :P

Comment

No salad,
                  The BMI system is crap, but we all know that already. I have a small frame (my feet are a woman's size 5.5 (U.S.) in shoes, I have small wrists and calves) and though 5'7" is tall-ish I think I looked best at 125-130 lbs. If I add some muscle maybe I could be thin enough at 135... *shrug*. I'll know in a few months.

Hey FabMandy! Good to hear your story. Yea, I wish I was semi-primal before, then maybe my body would have chosen a lower set point! I was super high in grain (just about all I ate was cereal!). What about you? What do you mean by semi-primal? Yup. The lifelong journey has begun!

Funkadelic,
                  Oh good! Yea it's clearing up here from yesterday's fog so I am going to try and get a good outdoor workout in today, too.
                  You have an awesome job... uh, my homework says, "hi"?
                  Last edited by ZoŽ; 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

4/17

Food:
                    B: 'breakfast' sausage & buttered sweet potato
                    L: bacon & 'breakfast' sausage
                    D: IF

Fitness:

The weather was depressing so I did some bodyweight stuff in my room. Jump squats and lunges... nothin' fancy.

Comment

I agree with your assessment on the BMI, ZoŽ. I'm 5'6'' and at a healthy BMI right now but I definitely don't look healthy! Even at 120lbs I still carry some flab. I guess it's all about increasing that muscle mass, right? Can't wait for that

By semi-primal: I was following the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" which bans grains completely, as well as all dissacharides (ie. white sugar, maple syrup, legumes that aren't soaked overnight first...). It's taught me a lot and was a great experience because at least being primal doesn't seem so great a challenge. I'm used to not eating out, avoiding processed foods, etc. I just need to find some bacon cured without sugar!!

Comment

You guys just make me feel like an overweight whale at 150 and 5'2 Y_Y
                        -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Oh good FabMandy, the SCD is very close to primal.

NoSalad-- Hey! Watch your mouth. You have a cute butt! I don't hold my weight as good as you do.

4/18

Food:
                          B: IF (20 hours total!)
                          L: 'breakfast' sausage
                          D: buttered sweet potato & more sausage
                          s: buttered sweet potato

Fitness:
                          At 19 hours into my 20 hour fast I walked to the park and did 5 hill sprints (that was all I could manage! It was tough!). Afterward I went on a 30-35 minute walk and then went home to eat!

Comment

Estimate of my daily averages from 4/12 to 4/19:

Calories: 1545

Protein: 63g
                            Carbs: 42g
                            Fiber: 6g
                            Fat: 126g

Macro Ratio: 16:10:74

Comment

4/19

Food:

B: IF
                              L: 'breakfast' sausage
                              D: Grass-fed ground beef & butter
                              s: buttered sweet potato

Fitness:

I had a ton of energy and felt totally high on life today but I had a ton to do so I mostly sat at a desk
                              I did get to go on a quick walk to the grocery store which has some good hills, but it was short.
                              My butt is sore and I like the feeling... that mean's it's getting big and muscle-y!

Comment

OMG, me and my parents went to the farmers market and you got me hungry for sausages so I convinced them to get some farm, fresh homemade ones.... *dies*
                                They were so good!!! Even though I hate hate lamb, there was one out of lamb that was just amazing... AMAZING.
                                If we go again we're buying buckets!

Did you weight yourself yet? *don't* haha
                                -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Working...
                                X