Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
    Was out at kid soccer game tonight and practically needed a baseball bat to fight off the mosquitos.
    Oh yes, you are most definitely living in Manitoba! Hope they let up soon.....

Comment

Autumn P: yes, definitely a Manitoba summer. The backyard seems much better this evening after last night's fogging.

Finished last evening with some pork rinds. Didn't notice when I bought them (funny, we had these a lot as a kid, but they're pretty hard to find now) that this brand had MSG, but I didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. I'm the only one in my house who appreciates crispy pork fat!

Today:
      B: coffee with cream and coconut oil, half cup or so of coconut milk
      L: hardboiled egg, celery with almond butter. First time for that, and will certainly be doing it again soon.
      D: thick porkchop, asparagus sauteed in butter

About to mix up some marinade for carne asada for tomorrow, have never tried this but it looks amazing. The recipie calls for juice of an orange, realized I don't have one but do have a small grapefruit, so will use that instead.

Just received this week's organic produce delivery: peaches, apricots, a pineapple, cantaloupe, grapes,1/4 watermelon, apples, green beans, romaine lettuce (lots), cauliflower, garlic, tomato, cucumber, rainbow chard. Some weeks are more veggie, some are more fruit. Fun to get new unexpected stuff. Gets me more creative in the kitchen, so I can use it all up before it goes bad. Thought I'd make the peach clafouti from the book, but am out of maple syrup, will get some this week.

Saw physio again, strength good, range of motion much improved but not yet full on some planes. Gave me some bands and more exercises for upper back and chest, core can add back planks and side planks. Directions to do every 2 days, then back for reassessment in 2 weeks, when we'll hit some light free weights and try the treadmill to see if I'm ready. If all is good, I'll be done with the physio and can resume as tolerated back into lifting heavy stuff and sprints. Hooray! I'm feeling quite lazy these days. Scale is down a pound though, so I must be on track with the food, or at least heading in the right direction.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

B: coffee with cream and coconut milk
        S/late B: last thick porkchop
        L: celery with almond butter
        S: one turkey pepperoni stick
        D: carne asada on top of butter lettuce with avocado and a bit of sour cream, some evoo drizzled on the greens. Pretty good, grilled the meat, which turned out a little dry. Might have to adjust things a bit next time I make it.

Still need to work on the more sleep thing. Been a bad week for that, about 6 hours a night and I need more. Happy that the weekend approaches. Going to a BBQ thing at friends on Sat, I am bringing fat guacamole devils topped with crumbled bacon.

Need to make sure I do my physio exercises tomorrow, is easy to just skip, which shouldn't be the case when I used to be really regular with the workouts...though I don't think there's much evidence of that in this journal. Trust me, I used be really regular!! Gotta get 'back on the horse', so to speak. I want to be ready to get the go ahead to resume weights and such by next physio visit. Then no excuses...
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

maybe you should put slices of bacon sticking out of the guac devils... kind of like horns Hmmm I think I might make some tomorrow!

Comment

B: coffee with cream, 2 eggs scrambled in butter with scallion & goat cheese
            L: iced coffee with cream & stevia, some coconut oil, half cup or so of coconut milk
            S: small handful cashews
            D: huge rib steak, sauteed mushrooms in bacon fat & butter, romaine dressed in evoo/balsamic/dijon, caprese salad, few glasses pinot noir
            dessert: whipped heaven (mascarpone, whipped cream, vanilla, cocoa powder) with 4 strawberries

Watched a couple of saved episodes of the current season of Hell's Kitchen after dinner. Sometimes watching food shows (which I thoroughly enjoy), I get a bit sad about some of the dishes I will likely never cook again, like a marvelous mushroom risotto. Sigh. But steak is better any day. And bacon. Mmmm.

Visit to the salon after work for cut & colour, yay. I've been reading the blog and posts on the no-poo thing, intriguing idea, but I'm not ready for that at this point, maybe never will be. Did get me thinking however about more natural products and scaling back a bit on 'stuff'. Haven't quite figured out a direction that feels comfortable for me yet, but definitely food for thought.

Will probably head to the farmers market in the morning for some goodies, then make the guacamole devils. Bacon horns?? haha, we'll see. Meal tomorrow should be fine, some sort of grilled meat or chicken, assorted salads, and will peruse the desserts to see if anything is worth bothering with. No doubt some wine consumption. Have to get my physio homework in tomorrow too, should have done today, but rush home from work, salon appointment and then dash back home to cook late dinner was enough for me.
            Last edited by Greensprout; 06-25-2010, 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot some food!
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Yesterday's eats:
              B: coffee with cream, some coconut milk, coconut oil
              L: none, but a few assorted nibbles: coconut oil, butter ball, something else small that I don't remember
              D: out at friends BBQ/potluck. Assorted green salads, cheese, guacamole devils (a big hit), pork tenderloin, nuts. Passed on the potato salad and perogies. Did have a small slice of ice cream cake (okay, but not something I'm in any hurry to have again) and caved on a few small pieces of lemon bar squares, which were really good, I wanted to have more but held back. Did feel some sugar buzz after what I did have. Many glasses of wine, but didn't feel too bad this morning. Up very late, and slept in today.

At the farmers market I picked up more lovely eggs, radishes, ground bison, and more pork smokies (gluten and filler free). Have enough other produce kicking around from last week's organic box. Saw a stall there this week selling certified grass fed beef, but didn't stop in as I was short on time and should be getting my bulk order of grass fed beef, pastured pork and pastured lamb in the next week or so.

Today:
              B/L: coffee with cream, leftover steak & mushrooms warmed in butter with 2 over easy double yolk eggs also in butter
              S: few small bites of melon, blueberries and pineapple that I cut up for the kids.
              D: chicken breast with skin roasted (poured some bacon fat on top near the end to crisp up the skin some more) over homemade caesar salad with fresh parmesan & bacon crumbles left from the guacamole devils. Glass of sauvignon blanc.

Just made my first clafouti, which is cooling now. Peach and blueberry. Smells heavenly. Will have a bit of that later. Probably going for an IF day tomorrow, will decide in the morning. Some days I can't face skipping the cream in coffee (I have it black on IF days), so we'll see. Planning to aim for a lower carb week with one or two fasting days.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Did close to 18 hours on the IF, nice and easy. Wasn't planning on a full 24 as I snacked last evening. The clafouti tasted amazing. Looked like it should have been in the oven a bit longer, as there was a bit of liquid and the eggs looked more 'wet eggy' when cut into. Didn't impact the taste, however. Had 2 small pieces with heavy cream on top.

Just ended the fast with a tsp of coconut oil, raw veg and hot wings. Used the oven baked with hot sauce/butter idea, and was great. Went a bit less hot than I was expecting, so next time will make them hotter. Big hit with hubby and son#1. Planning to have some more clafouti later, but for now, I'm feeling pretty full after 9 wings with veg (couldn't grab any more before son devoured the rest).

Was planning to do my physio stuff right after work, got caught up in the wing prep and forgot. Will make sure I do before I allow myself any clafouti!

Found myself very alert at work today, despite just less than 6 hours sleep last night. Obviously still need to get more diligent about getting to bed earlier, perhaps I'll get tired of typing that same thing over and over and just get on with it eventually. Feeling a bit tired now since filling my belly. Better though than hubby, who splurged on a sandwich & fries for lunch, and then felt very groggy and not right all afternoon. That'll teach him!
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                  At the farmers market I picked up more lovely eggs, radishes, ground bison, and more pork smokies (gluten and filler free). Have enough other produce kicking around from last week's organic box. Saw a stall there this week selling certified grass fed beef, but didn't stop in as I was short on time and should be getting my bulk order of grass fed beef, pastured pork and pastured lamb in the next week or so.
                  Farmer's markets are so amazing -- sounds like you scooped up some awesome food. I think us Canucks appreciate them even more given the long, dark winters we have.

Comment

AutumnP...I agree about the farmers market. I love the variety and freshness. We have such a short growing season that makes the freshness even more appealing.

Was out to high school awards thing this evening. Son #1 managed to get honours with distinction for his freshman year. Yay! Only a bit of arrogance about it on his part, I think he's on the right track, as long as he keeps it up. Did my physio stuff once getting home, 30 min of bridges, planks, leg lifts while stabilizing core, bodyweight squats & calf raises, some upper body stuff with resistance bands. Felt pretty good actually, even though after not doing much of anything for a while I found it strangely challenging. Onto bigger and better stuff again soon. A bit hungry, but not enough to dive into the clafouti. Had a spoonful of coconut oil instead, it has developed an odd appeal for me. Will save the clafouti for breakfast, I think.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Today:
                      B: spoonful of coconut oil, coffee with cream, slice of peach blueberry clafouti with cream, couple ounces of last of the steak
                      L: not interested. Spoon of coconut oil left in my office later in the afternoon
                      D: sauteed rainbow chard in bacon fat with bacon pieces, cup of saurkraut, 1 1/2 german smoked sausages. Planned on having 2 but was full.

A few interesting observations about turning primal: no seasonal allergies this year, my nails, which have always been soft and easy to split are the hardest I've ever seen them, and the clogged pores on my face (nose & chin area in particular) have cleared. Most interesting.

Feeling tired today. About to head out for the usual kid soccer game. Maybe I'll actually go to bed early today?? Considering another fast tomorrow, as I'm feeling so full right now.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Early to bed didn't happen, no surprise there. Turned in at 1130. Seemed to take a long time to fall asleep, which is not usual, and had a lot of weird dreams. Wasn't full anymore by the time I went to bed, so not due to full belly. Once I shook out the cobwebs in the morning, felt fairly rested however.

Pulled off a 25 hour IF today. Strangely full of energy at work (being busy helped), had to leave early to take son #2 to an appointment, but by afternoon felt an almost manic type of energy. Not that I had opportunity to use it productively. Stirred the compost.

Broke fast with a very filling dinner: small bit of raw celery, cuke, strawberry tomatoes, one german smoked sausage, 1/2 cup or so of sauerkraut, and gnawed the meat off of the last leftover rib steak bone that I'd forgotten about. Also had 3 primal napalm poppers (thanks DarthFriendly for the idea & recipie): fresh jalapeno stuffed with goat cheese wrapped in applewood bacon. Yummmmm. Quite stuffed afterward. Felt very tired a bit after eating, oddly so. A bit better now. Might have a snack before bed, if I do, I'm aiming for some berries with creamed coconut. Forgot I still had a block in the pantry.

Off work tomorrow for Canada Day. Supposed to be a mix of very hot, sun, cloud and thunderstorms, seems typical for this year so far. Maybe will get into the pool for the first time this season. Gardening? Lots of weeds to pull, if my back feels okay. Did get in my 30 min of physio exercises before cooking dinner, which felt good. A reminder of how good it will feel to get back to the gym soon for some real lifting and hope to get back to sprinting soon too.

Very excited to see the news about PrimalCon 2011. Was new to PB for this year's one, but was completely impressed by the coverage of the event, and really wanted to be there. I'm pretty sure I'm going to register for this one, will be able to swing it from the cost point of view, but before registering I'm trying to convince hubby to join me. Not sure if it's the cost or what, but he says I should go, he probably won't. Says "then I'll have to read the book..." is happy with me just telling him what he should be doing without investing his own time (sure, he's busy, but who isn't??) in learning more himself. Will see what I can do over the weekend to change his mind...I think he'd get so much more out of attending than he thinks. Don't want to wait too long for him to make a decision, however, so I don't miss out. It sounds so amazing!
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Those napalm poppers did sound good. I dont think I'd be able to get my partner to eat them though... he's not one for spicy food but I dont mind it. I'll have to get his tastebuds used to it.

primalcon sounds good but I'm wayyyyy too 80/20 to even consider it.
                          Enjoy your holiday tomorrow.

Comment

• Been having a great Canada Day at home. Topped off last night with some cherries and blueberries topped with coconut cream, yum. Had a couple of rum & diet cokes. Stayed up too late waiting for one kid to get home...teenagers.

Today slept in, not very hungry when I got up, coffee with cream and 1/2 cup coconut milk was enough, so went to the Farmers Market again. Found some grass fed striploin steaks (my meat order is still not quite ready), kale, romaine, strawberry tomatoes.

Outside to do about 90 min of weeding, I have a splendid crop of weeds this year. Been neglecting the garden since my back has been acting up, but today was okay. Just took lots of breaks and was very aware of posture/body mechanics. Hopped into the pool and did some pool running (well, somewhat modified as it is an above ground pool so just under 5 ft deep in the middle) including water running sprints. Had fun doing that, sunny, hot and humid. Lounged for a while getting some vitamin D in my bikini afterwards, skin has a bit of dark pink in areas, but feels quite fine. Will put on some coconut oil later.

Had a few pecan halves while prepping dinner. Dry rub pork back ribs, cauliflower mash, caesar salad, caprese salad. Oh, and had some pinot blanc out on the deck with hubby before supper. Lovely, lovely day.

Best news of the day: convinced hubby to come to PrimalCon 2011 with me...so we're registered!! It's a long time off, but I'm so excited and looking forward to meeting Mark and other primals. What an opportunity! I couldn't let this pass by and miss out.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• B: coffee with cream, 2 strips applewood smoked bacon & 2 eggs in the bacon fat
                              L: tin of smoked mussles (managed to drip the oil onto my white blouse, good thing I was already home early), celery, radish, green pepper
                              S: few macadamia nuts
                              D: grassfed striploin on the grill, grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms. Shared a bottle of carmenere. Nice

Overcooked the steak, think I've read that grassfed cooks quicker, so although tasty, it was a bit tough. Hoping my meat order is in this week.

Very tired after work, even took a nap, though one of those that wasn't very restfull...still hearing all the noise of the others at home, weird dreams, feeling completely heavy and unable to move...guess that tells me that I need more sleep. Maybe that's what is keeping my progress very slow at present. And here I am, still up at 11pm, when I have my first ER shift since hurting my back a month ago. sigh. Back does feel better. Sleep stilll a work in progress.

The sun yesterday left my shoulders actually much more red than pink. Funny thing again is that it doesn't hurt or feel like a sunburn. Slathered in coconut oil last night, this morning and a few minutes ago. Should be more brown than pink by Sunday I think. Last episode like this didn't peel, which it looked like it should have. Must be more careful about sun exposure...some is good, too much is not so good.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Busy day at work in the ER, thunderstorms on and off through the day so didn't miss much there. Back started to feel a bit sore early in the day after bending over too long for blood draws/IV starts, so was more cautious the rest of the day, and used some anti-inflammatories that I made sure to pack just in case.

B: coffee with cream, smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, spinach, coconut oil, protein powder, lots of coconut milk). Very filling
                                S: one blueberry butter ball, coffee with cream.
                                L: hardboiled egg, the other half of the morning's smoothie
                                S: 2 butter balls
                                D: (if you can call it that, after 12 hour shift) some crispy slices of pork belly, handful of macadamia nuts. Bit of wine. Still feeling peckish, may have turkey pepperoni or some cheese, or both.

Stuff to do tomorrow around home, and then some friends coming for pool/BBQ later. Probably will do some more steaks on the grill.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X