No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son #1 did not pass his drivers road test today. He was really down after, but is okay tonight. One of his buddies just passed his 3rd attempt today, so the kid knows he's not the only one. Mom's taxi is back in business for another 3 weeks until the retest.

Son #2 is still having issues with the orthodontic stuff. I sent an email to the orthodontist tonight outlining the problem. Maybe she can squeeze him in tomorrow to sort him out. I'm hoping so.

I had physio this morning. Heat, stretching, mobilizing the hip joint, then something new...accupuncture. 2 needles in the hip and one in the thigh in the IT band. While I sat there needled for 15 min, I was on my iPhone and nearly took a photo...then decided that would be a bit weird, and didn't. I was quite sore after the appointment, and still sort of am now, I suspect more due to the mobilization and stretching than the accupuncture. I need to be stretching more.

Eats:
    B: black coffee, 5 eggs scrambled in ghee
    assorted green teas (mint & ginger)
    spoon of coconut oil
    D: basa filet, crusted in almond meal & dill, fried in coconut oil, spinach sauteed in ghee with garlic, bit of rice cooked for the kids, maybe close to 1/4 cup?
    piece of beef jerky. 2 glasses of wine. Yes, once again. The day seemed to call for it.

Long weekend ahead for Thanksgiving, yay . Unfortunately, it seems I've missed out on getting a free range turkey from the local organic place since I didn't preorder...too bad. The one I got last year was the most tasty turkey I've ever made. Maybe we'll just do some good steaks .
    Last edited by Greensprout; 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM. Reason: foodz additions
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Son #1 has recovered nicely from yesterday's disappointment at the driver's test. Back to his normal cheery self.
      Son #2 had another grumpy morning, but his jaw is more tolerable today, he is okay with seeing how the weekend goes. Sigh.

Nothing else much to say, but yay for being let off work a bit early for the long weekend. Nasty windy today, our deck has a panel with a wood lattice that got half blown off by the wind, and was flapping in the gusts. Son #1 and I tried to screw it back on (do you thing I could find a damn nail in hubby's nicely organized workshop??? Every tool under the sun, but nary a nail in sight...but scrounged up a cordless drill and a few screws). Got it sort of secured, but then another gust pulled it right back off and nearly onto the kid's head...so we decided it was futile, as some of the lattice panel was already broken. We pulled the top half off instead of pulling out the tiny nails in the bottom half, and left for hubby to deal with. I consider that a job well done!

Eats:
      B: black coffee, smoothie with protein powder, coconut milk, 4 frozen strawberries
      S: after work, 2 mini pepperoni sticks, bit of coconut oil
      D: skirt steak with red wine reduction, brussel sprouts roasted in bacon fat.

Eventually, one rum & diet coke and 2 glasses of wine.

I've been monitoring calories this week, sticking to the big breakfast + supper meals, and reducing total intake. Seems to be going well. Pretty much satisfied, though the liquid breakfast today left me hungry earlier, hence the snack. My jeans feel a bit looser than when I wore them last a week ago, they had become a tad snugger than previous. Most interesting.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• When I was doing the big breakfast thing, I tried a protein smoothie a couple of times to save time. Without exception I was starving a few hours later when eggs and meat would take me to dinner, no problem.
        They say that liquid food and whey protein particularly elicits a fairly significant insulin response which could explain it.
        My Journal

Comment

• About 9 hours of sleep, from 1 till 10ish. I headed out to the famer's market for more eggs, and woohoo- managed to find free range turkeys for $2.49/lb, which is about a dollar less that where I got one last year. Score . I have a 13 pounder. Also picked up goat milk soap, and a huge cauliflower.

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          When I was doing the big breakfast thing, I tried a protein smoothie a couple of times to save time. Without exception I was starving a few hours later when eggs and meat would take me to dinner, no problem.
          They say that liquid food and whey protein particularly elicits a fairly significant insulin response which could explain it.
          I've read that too, hadn't really been using protein powder at all for a long time, though it used to be a breakfast staple a year ago. Today I had another 2 scoops in half a cup of coconut milk again (rather than fasting before heading out to the market) as a trial...once again, I'm hungry about 3 hours later. Probably will put this idea back on the shelf again, other than a rare exception.

I have some dry rub pork back ribs in the oven for dinner...they are smelling most yummy right now.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Around 8 hours sleep last night. Finally pulled off the last of my cherry tomatoes, (a ton, plus a huge bowl of green ones). Then I had a call to work an evening ER shift...haven't actually been there to work in about a year...so I worked 330-1130. Pretty decent, not too busy, but it felt good to be back at the bedside. And a few extra dollars earned, which is always a good thing .

Eats:
            B (1130 am): 4 eggs fried with 3 slices of bacon, black coffee
            D (9 pm): ribs, few cherry tomatoes.
            after work: small pepperoni stick, big glass of wine, small chunk of parmesan.

Thanksgiving tomorrow, so turkey cooking for me. It will just be the 4 of us, so I'm not going crazy making tons of stuff. Just a decent meal.

Interestingly, over the last week with the big breakfasts plus dinner, and tracking calories to keep things more on track, it seems like I've dropped a couple of pounds. I'll keep this pattern going for a while, as it seems to be working...
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Two of my sons had to take the third test. I think it's a money making thing...

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              Interestingly, over the last week with the big breakfasts plus dinner, and tracking calories to keep things more on track, it seems like I've dropped a couple of pounds. I'll keep this pattern going for a while, as it seems to be working...
              I keep seeing the "big breakfast" theme...I'm tempted to try it, but I'm just NOT hungry in the morning...the earliest I can imagine eating big is 10 am...I don't know if I should try it, or if I should "listen" to my body (that doesn't want to eat in the morning)

I'm glad it's working for you.
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Yeah, I kept seeing the big ass breakfast thing around too, so thought it couldn't hurt to give it a go. I'm also one who can easily pass by breakfast, (except for when I was pregnant, but that's forever ago), but doing this for a few days leaves me actually waking up kind of hungry and looking forward to eating. Most definitely doesn't happen in the 30 min after waking, as the leptin reset stuff wants, but maybe within an hour or hour and a half-ish. Some days I have time at home and other days I cook the eggs and eat as soon as I get to work at my desk. I seem to have less daytime hunger with the breakfast and supper meals than when I do lunch and supper.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Thanksgiving dinner:
                  IMG_0011[1]..jpg
                  Free range turkey, mashed sweet potato, mashed cauliflower, broccoli, gravy made from the drippings and slightly thickened with arrowroot powder. Glass of BC chardonnay.

Decided to wait until dinner to eat, aside from green tea, a cup of lamb bone broth, spoonful of coconut oil, and a few nibbles of raw cauliflower while prepping. I didn't eat any of the mashed potato I made for the boys, aside from one small taste for seasoning. After dinner was 2 date coconut rolls. More wine. Maybe some berries and cream later.

Thought we'd get some yardwork done today, but it decided to rain on and off. Ah well, have to get at it over the next week before the weather turns crappy and we loose the opportunity to get it done before it gets cold and nasty.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Finally made it out walking at lunch for the first time in a while. An hour in the fall sunshine. It was nice, even though some of the forested path had wet leaves all over the slopes that were kind of slippery on the VFFs...funny, the wet leaf smell reminded me of rooibos tea... Now this evening my legs are feeling tired.

Actually, I'm tired in general. A bit sneezy today too, and my throat felt kind of gummy, nose a bit runny. I upped the Vit D and added C, probably should make sure I get a good sleep. Really! No laughing!

Threw the turkey carcass in the slow cooker after dinner yesterday, where it simmered nicely until this evening. I now have 2.5 litres of lovely, tasty, golden broth. Nice.

Eats:
                    B: black coffee, 4 eggs scrambled in ghee with some turkey
                    green teas (lemon, ginger & mint)
                    D: "turkey brocolli alfredo": sauteed in ghee some onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, bit of turkey stock, chopped turkey meat, cup of heavy cream and a good couple of dollops of cream cheese. Very nice served on top of the cauliflower mash. A side of sweet potato mash. One date coconut roll.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• ok, go ahead and laugh. I had about 6 1/2 hours of sleep, and then gee, what a surprise, had trouble getting up today...hubby had to come back in and ask "are you getting up today??". Consequently, I'm still tired. Waited for one kid to get home, and the other needed to vent about feeling pressures with his PGL pre-cal math, his grades are not quite the honours type he normally gets, and realizes he is poor at allocating his time for schoolwork. Good to see that early...he'll figure it out.

Anyway, I'm once again aiming for more sleep. Yet again.

I'm rather sore today after physio. More accupuncture, and in more spots. He asked how my back was doing, I said pretty good. Then he poked around and found a bunch of tight knots around L3-L4, and wants me to work on those too, as they are all tied in with the ligaments that flow into the IT band. Now he wants me in twice a week for the next few weeks. Hope it helps.

Eats:
                      B: smoothie with coconut milk, protein powder & strawberries. I had to use up the coconut milk and was in a bit of a rush.
                      L: "salad" from the sandwich bar: lettuce, tomato, deli turkey, roast beef, pickles & olives, bowl of cheesy broccoli cream soup. I usually beg off when the boss and group go on Wednesdays, but on occasion feel obliged.
                      D: turkey curry soup: homemade turkey broth, onion, garlic, leeks, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, mild curry powder, sriracha, fish sauce, coconut milk. Quite nice, even the kids agreed.
                      one coconut date thing.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ok, it seems the early bed won't quite be tonight (though normal bedtime is still a distinct possibility). Some kid drama going on, fortunately not one of mine, but one of their friend's dramas. He is coming home with my kid in an hour or so for the night, and there are a few things to discuss. Sigh.

***a public service announcement for those of you are not parents***

If you have read any of this journal and are considering having children, whether soon or someday, be aware that they can/will be hazardous to your sleep patterns and cortisol level.

<ok, end rant>
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                          ***a public service announcement for those of you are not parents***[/B]
                          If you have read any of this journal and are considering having children, whether soon or someday, be aware that they can/will be hazardous to your sleep patterns and cortisol level.

<ok, end rant>
                          You forgot the part about how they impact your mental health/well being and bank account.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                            You forgot the part about how they impact your mental health/well being and bank account.
                            Ah yes, it goes without saying for the initiated...just tonight the latest was $167 for soccer shoes for son #1, who after a year hiatus, has decided to play on the high school indoor soccer team this season. No doubt, tomorrow (or Friday, or Sunday) will bring something else. And the mental health/well being...yeah.

As for the kid drama, it isn't so bad today. A friend of son #2 who is having issues with his parents is staying the night. We were just insisting that the parents know where he is. Done. Seems to be okay. It's always something... Very difficult to believe that in 3 years, it is possible that we could have no kids in the home, depending on what they decide to be doing. Strangely exciting, yet scary...
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• So another 6.5 hours of sleep, as by the time we headed off bed, hubby decided it wasn't too late to look for some action...frankly, I wanted sleep, but was convinced.

My big breakfast today was totally filling until getting home from work and prepping dinner.

Eats:
                              B: black coffee, big bowl of turkey curry soup heated with 4 eggs poached in the broth...oh yeah.
                              green tea
                              S: (while prepping dinner) 4 pecan halves, spoon of coconut oil
                              D: local pastured Berkshire pork shoulder chops (yumyumyumyum) with roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts & mushrooms.

It pained me to see one kid pick the fat off the chop...I made it all nice and crispy, too. It was the most delicious chop I've had in a while, yet hubby found it a bit "gamey"...WTF?? Gamey means wild tasting, and this was all super porky heaven. They truly have no idea. I'm about to purchase a side of local pork that's naturally raised/pastured, and hope it is as good as these chops. $1.70 per pound for a half pig.

Whatever throat gummyness wasn't there anymore today, but still sneezy on and off. And now that dinner's over, I feel quite tired, weary even, and a tiny throat itch, and general slight fogginess in the head. It's that "I think I'm coming down with some nasty virus but it's not quite here yet" feeling. Stuffed in 5K mg of vit C, and 10K IU of vit D. Tonight I WILL get to bed early. I need it.

Tomorrow is a close friend's retirement (he's also hubby's boss, and one half of our primal friend couple we spend a lot of time with). Luncheon and ceremonies all afternoon. I believe prime rib is being served (a much better choice than the other selection of roasted chicken). Then celebrating is continuing for the evening at their house, so I suspect it will be a late night. Even more reason to get a good sleep tonight. It will be a sad day when they move to Nova Scotia next spring. The boys told us we'll have to find some new friends now, hahaha. I suppose they're right.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Started yesterday with something like 7 hours of sleep, still not ideal. Was feeling better yesterday, but today have more of that "on the verge of getting sick" feeling. Still up on the C and D vitamins.

The retirement celebration was really good, all afternoon and then onto their home for the evening. Lots of good food and wine.

Today was groceries and other running around. I have some steaks to grill for dinner, coming up soon. So far today was coffee, a bit of a pork chop, one pepperoni stick and a few pecans.

Physio yesterday found me still very tight. We skipped the accupuncture, but my low back was still in knots, so the electrical stimulation went there for a while, which felt pretty good. At least I wasn't quite so sore after the treatment this time. I need to stretch more over the weekend to loosen things up, though I haven't yet today. Found some tennis balls which I need to use on the low back knots, and should be getting a foam roller from the physiotherapist next week.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X