No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BBQ yesterday was good. I stuck to mainly primal friendly fare. Cocktail shrimp, nuts, grilled chicken breast, a variety of salads. 3 tortilla chips with some 7 layer dip. A friend who is recently gluten intolerant was very excited for me to try the gluten free chocolate cake she made...with chickpeas. She so wanted me to try it that I didn't have the heart to say that I don't eat legumes. It was dense and chocolaty, though a standard super sweet frosting, tasted pretty decent. I also had several pieces of homemade chocolate fudge. Funny, I heard someone else describing it as "not too sweet at all", while I found it extremely sweet, though that didn't seem to stop me from eating it. And a good few glasses of wine with a nightcap of cognac.

Of course, there had to be something eventful. We were cabbing home and picking up son #1 from being out with his buddies...pretty clear that he had been drinking too. Sent him sternly off to bed, when he got up today, he was paying the price. As he was hanging over the toilet, I told him to remember just how that felt the next time his friends have alcohol. He survived, and did his shift at work this evening. Now studying for finals tomorrow.

Son #2 has been towing the line, no events from him. He's getting into skateboarding, which at least is giving him something to be doing rather than having "nothing" to do and finding things he shouldn't be, at least that's what I'm hoping.

Edit: forgot to add today's foods.
    coffee with cream, last of the bison roast. Some organic blueberries & raspberries. A few almonds, one pepperoni stick, a bottle of ginger kombucha. 3 small squares of organic dark chocolate (almond & cherry 70% dark...yum)
    D: grilled sirloin steak, oyster mushrooms, local baby bok choi.
    Late: big glass of wine after picking up the kids.

I'm off to Ontario tomorrow, will muddle my way through chairing the working groups. Taking hubby's netbook as I'll need to do some work, but not sure if I'll have any connectivity, as it didn't work last time I was there.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM. Reason: foods
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Sitting in the bairport in Toronto waiting for my flight home. I just had a lovely bunless prime rib burger topped with guiness cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & roasted red pepper with a side of sweet potato fries dipped in red pepper mayo. And a glass of cabernet. Quite nice for airport food, granted, it is an Irish pub type place.

The meetings/working group I was chairing went very well, we accomplished all we were aiming for in good time. Whew. Foods were bit challenging. Bacon & eggs no problem for breakfasts, a distinct lack of non breaded protein sources for lunches, and dinners were okay at best. Last night all the main courses for dinner in the mess hall were breaded...fish, chicken, then pasta or some sort of sandwich melt thing. At least there were some leftover cold ribs on the salad bar from the day before, the sauce was kind of sweet, but better than nothing. In my room, I had some organic blueberries & raspberries, beef jerky (the commercial sort), and dark chocolate of which I had a decent amount. And I did get out for a good hour and a bit walk on Tues, with some sprints and negative pullups throughout.

I'll get home late, and already told my boss I'll not be in first thing for tomorrow. From my texts with son #1, all is well, they made it through their final exams. Will have to wait to hear about son #2's second appointment with the counselor, we had to send in a detailed questionnaire of our perspective on the problem. Hoping it went well.

No idea what's up yet for the weekend at home. This week went by pretty quickly being away. Hopefully someone remembered to water my greens, herbs and tomatoes.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Of course, there had to be something eventful. We were cabbing home and picking up son #1 from being out with his buddies...pretty clear that he had been drinking too. Sent him sternly off to bed, when he got up today, he was paying the price. As he was hanging over the toilet, I told him to remember just how that felt the next time his friends have alcohol. He survived, and did his shift at work this evening. Now studying for finals tomorrow.
        16? Yeah...maybe time for the "if you must drink, (or your friends are drinking) this is what you do" talk.
        You know - Always mix your own drinks (weak), NEVER let someone else mix them, never leave your drink anywhere, NEVER EVER get in a car with someone who's been drinking, you can ALWAYS call me, etc...

As my Farmer says: "SLOW out of the gate"

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Sitting in the bairport in Toronto waiting for my flight home. I just had a lovely bunless prime rib burger topped with guiness cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & roasted red pepper with a side of sweet potato fries dipped in red pepper mayo. And a glass of cabernet. Quite nice for airport food, granted, it is an Irish pub type place.
        Sounds wonderful

I'll get home late, and already told my boss I'll not be in first thing for tomorrow. From my texts with son #1, all is well, they made it through their final exams. Will have to wait to hear about son #2's second appointment with the counselor, we had to send in a detailed questionnaire of our perspective on the problem. Hoping it went well.
        Good idea to take it easy tomorrow morning. Glad things appear to have gone well at home.
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Lots on the go here. Hubby is painting the family room, we've done the wall with the fireplace & built in shelves in a deep chocolate brown, the rest of the room in a nice taupe. Probably will continue the taupe throughout the rest of the main area, we had it in a yellow 4 years ago, which has grown rather old and in need of a change.

We also decided to finally replace out 11+ year old 300 lb TV today, so there is now a box with a new 42 inch HD model sitting in my kitchen waiting for the painting to be finished. Should be setting it up tomorrow. And a HD receiver for the cable with PVR. Hubby's been wanting to upgrade for a while, I finally gave in as we've decided to not go away for holiday this summer so will focus on sorting out the house instead.

A few more open discussions with son #2, things seem to be going well. He admits that the last big event with the trip to the ER shook him up, along with his friends. I think we're slowly on the right track. He's allowed out with friends, but has to check in, and any staying over requires a phone call from the other parents to confirm they know the plan and are okay with it. They're all aware of what our boys have been up to, so hopefully they are being as diligent as we are trying to be with monitoring. The counselor appointment he was supposed to have didn't happen this week as she wasn't there, but I'll follow up next week.

Yesterday I got into work by 11, thought I'd fast till dinner, but was hungry and decided to eat when I had to come home to pick up my USB stick which I needed, and my computer server was buggery for a few hours at work. Had leftover bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, a larabar and some almonds. After work an apple with almond butter. Late dinner was a BAS with chorizo. Lovely greens from our first CSA box, which of course hubby had just stashed in the fridge. I had to pick up son #1 from work, but fortunately for me, he was done by 1215 instead of 2 am as expected. Some wine after that.

Today was watering my garden, have to get at the weeds tomorrow. My greens and tomato plants are exploding, in a good way. Went to the farmers market for eggs, radishes, tomatoes, asparagus and grass fed ground beef. Grocery store for other necessities. Also some more chatting with son #1 about his episode last week. Good grief. We're also discussing his thoughts about post secondary education and how he should best be investing his paychecks (as he's saving) to maximize his earnings. He has a good head on his shoulders, hopefully he can rub some of that off on his little brother.

Today's eats:
          coffee with cream, a few random blueberries, raspberries & blackberries.
          D: grilled sirloin with a chimichurri sauce (Flank Steak with Chimichurri Recipe at Epicurious.com), mushrooms, grilled peppers and a caprese salad. Wine.

Plenty of babbling. Time shortly for some hot tub time with hubby.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• things sound like they are coming together. Glad to hear!!! enjoy your new surroundings

Comment

• I love that chimichurri sauce recipe...I'm going to have to make that this week. It's good with everything!
              Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

• Yeah, the chimichurri sauce is great, I never had it before PrimalCon, and had all the ingredients between my CSA box, garden and kitchen. Of course, I forgot to use the rest today, but I expect it should keep for a couple of days.

Did my weeding today, and picked up a new nonstick fry pan on sale plus a good deal on a cast iron enamel pot. No workouts were done this weekend, have to get back at that this week. Yay for upcoming long weekend, Friday is a holiday, might be let go early on Thurs, and I'm taking next Mon and Tues off.

Hubby finished painting the family room, and we set up the new HDTV today. It all looks great. Very cosy warm neutral colours.

Today's eats:
                coffee with cream, 2 over easy eggs with steak & mushrooms
                a handful of pecans, random berries (raspberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries), smidgen of shredded coconut
                D: meatza: beef base with fresh oregano, mushroom, green pepper, pepperoni, mozzarella
                later: pepperoni stick, a peach. 2 glasses of wine.

Time for bed...
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I woke up kind of hungry, chose to not have breakfast but did pack a lunch for work as I had a piece of meatza leftover. Managed to get out for a good 70 min walk to the park over lunch, the weather was iffy with some dark clouds and a bit cool, but it was nice to get out.

Today's eats:
                  black coffee, the meatza at lunch, one dark chocolate truffle brought in by a coworker. BAS with my CSA greens and chicken breast sauteed in bacon drippings with some chimichurri sauce on top. It was as good with the chicken as on the steak. 2 squares of dark almond chocolate.

At the farmer's market on the weekend I picked up a bag of fresh herb tea from my CSA farmer, with fresh mint & lemon balm. Just made a huge pot, it's quite nice and fresh hot, but I'm going to chill the rest for some iced "tea". Great idea, not sure if I would have thought of that myself.

I also had some rhubarb, so decided to make a strawberry-rhubarb crisp from this recipie: Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Cosmopolitan Primal Girl . I made it last spring and it was delish, can't imagine not taking advantage of the fresh local rhubarb and berries. It's in the oven now smelling heavenly, will have some later with some chilled thick coconut milk.

I've even made my lunch for tomorrow (BAS with leftover steak) and put on some laundry...how productive of me, heheh. Have been less of that lately, time to shift gears.

2 of son #1's buddies got their driver's licences today, so the boys are out "cruising". A quick stop here to jump in the pool and hot tub, eat the rest of the steak in the fridge (good thing I had already made my lunch ) and off for the evening. It was amusing, they all looked so pleased with themselves and their new freedom.

Edit: the strawberry rhubarb crisp, warm and topped with chilled thick coconut milk was fantastic. Highly recommended.
                  Last edited by Greensprout; 06-27-2011, 09:18 PM. Reason: commentary on dessert
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I'm very tired. I think cumulative effects of not enough sleep (less than 6 hours the past 2 nights, and not restful for the last several days), worry about kid stuff (nothing significantly new in the past few days, just the ongoing things), trying to destress with wine in the evening, which of course is not really a good idea and is probably also impacting on sleep, hubby getting grumpy that I'm not feeling particularly frisky (Really?? Seriously?? Kind of the last thing on my mind when I'm spinning about other stuff like the kids), not enough exercise, haven't made it to hot yoga in nearly 2 weeks, either too many or not enough carbs, who the hell knows anymore.

Rant over. Not in my head of course, but I'll shut up about it.

Picked up my CSA box after work. I have greens coming out of my greens. Salad for the next month. Took son #1 to the undergraduate awards at the high school, though he didn't perform as well as he can this year, he still pulled off honors and an 80% + average in 8 courses. Not too shabby. Of course, no honors this year for son #2, not that he isn't capable, but whatever. As long as he stays out of trouble for now.

I should just go to bed. Both boys are out, and I feel like I should be up till they come in, but I can't keep that up all the time when I have to be up early. Crappy sleep and stress, no wonder I feel very blah and heavy and flabby this week. Sigh. A good night's sleep and a couple of sharp self head slaps is probably just what I need.

Edit: yes, I'm still up. Not for long.
                    Today's foods:
                    B: black coffee
                    L: was very hungry by 930, ate my lunch. BAS with steak & chimichurri sauce.
                    Very hungry by 2pm at work.
                    S: after work, some pecans, small piece of chicken
                    D: 2 1/2 pork chops, asparagus.
                    later, wine.
                    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-28-2011, 09:06 PM. Reason: more random stuff
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• wine and sleep do not really mix well I have decided. sure it gets you offf to sleep brilliantly,, but you just fail to get a good rested night's sleep if you've had one too many wines. Hope you are able to de-stress a bit. I know you dont feel like getting frisky but perhaps it is just what you need Now that always ensures a good nights sleep and think of the calories you'd be burning

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
                        I know you dont feel like getting frisky but perhaps it is just what you need Now that always ensures a good nights sleep and think of the calories you'd be burning
                        Yes, mum. I do know that from a common sense point of view, but seems the days I have good intentions, by the time I crawl off to bed it's very late and I'm exhausted. Have to keep working on that.

I did a good 80 min walk at lunch. Since then, I've had a bit of a bellyache, feels like a cross between monthly cramps (which isn't due for another couple of weeks) and the runner's gut thing when you go too hard on the wrong sort of food and get the trots either during or immediately after the run. I took a probiotic, hopefully that will help.

I was hungry again today, so brought a big breakfast which I ate at my desk after arriving at work: black coffee, 2 pork chops and the last of the strawberry-rhubarb crisp with coconut milk on top. Maybe it was too much coconut at once?
                        No lunch, but when driving home, which ended up with horrible traffic backups due to construction, I had that belly gnawing almost nausea hunger feeling. I had a few pecans once I arrived home, and that went away. Dinner wasn't until a few hours later, baked chicken thighs with hot sauce and a BAS. Have to keep on using up all these greens.

Got son #2's gym membership finally started, he has an orientation session for weights on Tues, and his buddy is signing up tomorrow. I'm glad he will be starting. Hopefully will provide him some good motivation in a positive direction, especially when he starts seeing some gains. He's very lean and already strong, obviously a bit deconditioned since stopping soccer, but needs more meat on his bones, or rather, some more muscle. I expect he will see gains quickly, especially if I can get him eating more protein...he's a typical carb loving teen because that's easy. I suppose I need to have more good stuff ready made, he'll probably eat stuff if it takes no effort on his part.

Lovely hot day today, and expected to be that way for the long weekend. Most excellent.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Woo hoo, long weekend is here. And I have 5 days off! My priority (aside from some stuff that has to get done around the house and yard) is to do some exercise and have some FUN for a change. Friends (the mostly primal ones) have invited us over for steaks and wine on Saturday, so that's a good start. Crazy hot today, still at 9pm it's 28C with humidex of 40. Think I'll go in the pool in a bit since I was doing a few errands this afternoon and didn't make it in, with running around and getting the kids back and forth to where they needed to be and making dinner while hubby is trying to paint the kitchen. Hey, if he's doing the prep and painting, I'm willing to work around it.

My belly was still somewhat off in the morning, so I had some breakfast and took another probiotic. Now it seems to have settled, and unlike the last couple of days when I felt bloaty and flabby, that is gone too. Who knows what was up with that??

Eats:
                          black coffee, 2 jumbo egg omelet in butter with a chopped up hot sauced chicken thigh inside. Yum.
                          few pecans mid afternoon, not the best idea, that's why I haven't bought pecans in many months. I'll just eat them. I love pecans.
                          Dinner of taco salad: grass fed ground beef with my own seasoning on a bed of my own backyard grown lettuce with aged cheddar, local tomato, avocado and sour cream.

I was considering getting to yoga tonight, but funnily enough, hot yoga today indoors would be just like walking outdoors in this weather and humidity. Not that I walked either, but, well, was doing other stuff. Planning on going tomorrow, they still have classes despite the holiday, just not in the evening.

I should catch up on some other journals. I've been popping in and out lately, and reading some new ones, but merely lurking instead of commenting. How rude of me. I'm aiming to not stress about stuff I can't control and get out of this funk I've been recently. Must remind myself that my negative, pessimistic, worrisome side IS NOT THE BOSS OF ME, damn it.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• ah we all lurk from time to time... you know sometimes it doesnt matter how interesting something is that someone else says, for the life of me a comment just isnt forthcoming. And yet other times I'll comment on every little thing... like now

I really hope you have a FUN weekend. you deserve it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                              Lots on the go here. Hubby is painting the family room, we've done the wall with the fireplace & built in shelves in a deep chocolate brown, the rest of the room in a nice taupe. Probably will continue the taupe throughout the rest of the main area, we had it in a yellow 4 years ago, which has grown rather old and in need of a change.
                              Sounds wonderful!

A few more open discussions with son #2, things seem to be going well. He admits that the last big event with the trip to the ER shook him up, along with his friends. I think we're slowly on the right track. He's allowed out with friends, but has to check in, and any staying over requires a phone call from the other parents to confirm they know the plan and are okay with it. They're all aware of what our boys have been up to, so hopefully they are being as diligent as we are trying to be with monitoring. The counselor appointment he was supposed to have didn't happen this week as she wasn't there, but I'll follow up next week.
                              This also sounds great!

[QUOTE=Greensprout;493623]Hubby finished painting the family room, and we set up the new HDTV today. It all looks great. Very cosy warm neutral colours.

I 2 of son #1's buddies got their driver's licences today, so the boys are out "cruising". It was amusing, they all looked so pleased with themselves and their new freedom.
                              I remember that freedom...

I should catch up on some other journals. I've been popping in and out lately, and reading some new ones, but merely lurking instead of commenting. How rude of me. I'm aiming to not stress about stuff I can't control and get out of this funk I've been recently. Must remind myself that my negative, pessimistic, worrisome side IS NOT THE BOSS OF ME, damn it.
                              Originally posted by Suse View Post
                              ah we all lurk from time to time... you know sometimes it doesnt matter how interesting something is that someone else says, for the life of me a comment just isnt forthcoming. And yet other times I'll comment on every little thing... like now

I really hope you have a FUN weekend. you deserve it!
                              I find that I've been lurking a lot lately too. I imagine that now that summer is here, there will be more lurking and less posting...

And YES! I hope you have an awesome 5 day weekend!!!!
                              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse
                              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• It's been a good long weekend thus far and I still have another two days off, hooray .

Hubby has finished painting the kitchen, which looks great. Now slowly getting things back in order in there, getting rid of clutter and trying to keep things more neat and clean (as in less crap and stuff not being used very often being banished to the basement).

Friday was puttering around the yard & garden, a lovely dip in the pool and a late afternoon hot yoga class. I swear I sweat more every time I go there! Still really enjoying the classes. Dinner was a lovely grilled lamb shoulder chop marinated in olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary with roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed young kale, along with a lovely bottle of carmenere, followed later by some haagen daz praline & cream ice cream and some more wine. Of course, since we decided to have wine with dinner so gave son #1 cab fare to get home from work (was scheduled to work till closing at 2am), he of course was let go early as it was slow for the holiday, and was done by 1030...but the wine was well underway by then. Ah well. He actually could have walked home and kept the cash, as it was still a bit light and only just over a mile away, but whatever.

A great sleep in with a good 10 hours of sleep to start Saturday. Hit another hot yoga class, an intermediate level class with more flow between the movements. I really liked it, and believe it or not, sweated even more. I was feeling some lingering effects of the previous night's wine, and had debated the wisdom of going, but went, loosened up immensely, probably purged all the toxins through sweat, and came out feeling fantastic. Friends invited us for dinner, so we put on our VFFs and walked the 30 min to their place and had a great primal meal and fabulous evening. Caprese salad, scallops topped with almond/bacon/parlsey, grilled beef tenderloin, sauteed mushrooms, local grilled asparagus, local baby carrots with butter & dill, spinach salad with walnuts, blueberries & avocado in a raspberry vinaigrette. Had a bloody caesar and a margerita before dinner, and then we didn't go crazy on the wine, with 2 bottles between the 4 of us. Played some cards, and really late we had special coffees and a huge cheese & fruit plate. We were so stuffed that we chose not to cab but walk home at 2am, which was quite nice actually. I think the walk plus the fact that we had lots of water between drinks helped to feel pretty much normal today. Another stellar sleep in.

Today I picked up some local strawberries (finally ready this week) which are awesome, and local hothouse tomatoes at an organic market, along with a trip to the grocery for some basics. Dinner was grilled grass fed beef burgers, along with a BAS. I topped one burger with guacamole & organic salsa, the other with fresh made chimichurri sauce. Both were awesome!
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X