No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Paris tomorrow!!! I'm so excited...

I'm even trying something really different for me, and traveling for a week with no checked luggage. Have minimized the stuff, including what was the most challenging...the toiletries. Have packed and have plenty of room to spare in 2 carryons. I was very skeptical that it could be done (sure, okay for some people, but I like my stuff!), but have impressed myself, and definitely my hubby, who encouraged me to do this.

Yesterday was son #1's 15th birthday. He had a soccer game in the evening, so no big special supper or cake, and he's trying to follow our eating style, so didn't ask for one (usually it's an ice cream cake he wants).
    B: coffee with milk
    L: coconut cream with coconut oil
    S: handful of almonds and some chorizo after work, before picking mom up from the airport before the game
    D: close to 10pm, bunch of crispy pork belly with 3 eggs fried in the fat. Shared a bottle of cab merlot with mom.

Today:
    Off work, lots of last minute errands and briefing mom on the hectic schedule she'll have with the kids for the next week.
    B: coffee with milk
    L: cashews, chorizo
    S: cappucino
    D: garlic broccoli with butter, grilled pork sirloin marinated in yogurt, lemon, garlic, evoo, rosemary and oregano, marinated eggplant (evoo/red wine vinegar/splash of balsamic) grilled, then topped with fresh tomato and mozzarella and broiled until the cheese was bubbly. Most excellent. More wine.

So off tomorrow to Paris until next Sunday. Aiming to stay mainly primal, but the 20% will be stretched. Plan to thoroughly enjoy myself, and not end up eating a ton of garbage just to feel like crap. Should be an amazing holiday.

Be back in a week with a report. Salut!
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

have a totally awesome holiday!

Comment

Had a most excellent week in Paris, got home around midnight last night (off work today), and am really feeling the jet lag. Back to work in the morning.

80/20? Let's just say that we were a little lax on that. But completely enjoyed the whole experience. At least we did a heck of a lot of "moving frequently at a slow pace"...like a good 10-15 km worth of walking daily. Great wine and yes, some Belgian beers, gave in to the grain and enjoyed baguettes and croissantes almondes.

Will post more hopefully tomorrow, need to get some sleep now. Regardless of deviating from primal eating, I'm okay with that, I had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and now plan to dive back into being primal. Expect a bit of carb detox over the next week.

On another note, I lent my extra copy of the PB book to Mom while she was here with the kids, and she plans to jump in herself. So the extra copy goes home with her, and I'm thrilled.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Welcome back GS. I am looking forward to hearing more about your holiday. Perhaps you should take some coconut oil for your jet lag... been doing some reading about it and am thinking it could be my next new thing... I did try a small teaspoon the other day in its solid form and it was bloody awful, but I think I'll have another crack at it.

Comment

Bit of a crazy week. Paris was fabulous.

Stayed more primal as far as the eating for the first few days, then a bit more straying toward the end of the week. Lots of great wine, cheese, Belgian beer, fois gras, and (no offense to anyone intended) DAMN the French for their baguettes and pastries!! I've had no cravings for bread and few for baked goods since starting on the primal track in March, but couldn't resist in Paris. Truthfully, didn't go too overboard that much, but did indulge in a bit of baguette daily and then there were the croissantes almondes...

Did a huge amount of "moving frequently at a slow pace", as we walked a good 10-15 km daily seeing the sights around the city. A bit too much Vitamin D exposure the second day strolling along the Champs de Elysee, got a bit of a sunburn, but pretty much better within a day or so.

Did good for breakfasts; variety of eggs, fruit, yogurt, coffee, some days bacon. Found that most cafes/brasseries had great BAS for lunchtimes, many included bacon, avocado and hard boiled egg, along with cheese and procuitto. Otherwise, vegetables were scarce among restaurant picks. Had lovely beef (steaks), lamb, fois gras, mussels. Found that main courses were typically served with frites (fries), and sometimes roasted or mashed potato, which we did indulge in to some extent. It was a holiday, after all. And we did have a few desserts, but not crazy. The last few nights, we had picked up some almond croissants earlier in the day and had those with a final bit of wine or champagne to end the night.

Was silly enough to step on the scale the first night home, and saw a rather dismaying rise in weight from pre holiday, but over the next 4 days dropped 7 lbs, likley mostly water due to the higher carb consumption. Currently about 2-3 lbs up from pre holiday weight, so no big deal.

Unfortunately, I managed to end up with some pretty significant back pain after the last leg of the flight home. I think it was more due to trying to sleep in the economy airline seat than anything else, but regardless, really bad low back pain since Monday. Did my 2 clinical shifts at the hospital, being very cautious about guarding my back when moving patients, but by yesterday it felt worse. So saw the doc, and ended up off the last 2 days with pain killers and muscle relaxant meds. Not fun. Painful even to try to put on socks!! Hoping that taking it easy over the weekend will make things a bit better.

Will try to post a few pics from the trip, have some good food photos! Too tired now to figure out how...though I think I did manage the avatar...is at a cafe by Notre Dame cathedral.

Farmers market opens for the season here tomorrow, planning to go by and look for some local eggs and grass fed meat. Need to pick up and plant some flowers too, but that might have to wait until the back is feeling better. Right now even doing the laundry today was painful.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

sorry to hear you are back home and in pain. no fun whatsoever. Your parisian holiday sounds fabulous... I am going to New Caledonia in july so fully expect baguettes and croissants to make an appearance in my diet. Incredible the weight gain even with all that walking you were doing. I wonder why it is that the carb consumption increases our water weight... I have never really fully understood water weight

Comment

Made it to the Farmers Market yesterday. Picked up some organic free range eggs for less than the grocery store (and tastier), ground bison, a free range chicken, and some garlic sausage, as well as lettuces and radishes. Will have to try and get there more often this season, is less than 10 min drive, and now open Saturdays until Oct.

Yesterday's eats:

B/L: coffee with cream. No real meal, just a few nibbles when I felt like it: turkey pepperoni stick, cashews, few cherries.
                D: Friends over. BBQ steak, grilled asparagus, green salad, fresh veg salad. They brought dessert, fruit salad with orange-vanilla yogurt topping. One beer and a couple glasses of wine (chose to skip the painkillers for the back pain, probably not the smartest move). Nice dinner, though.

Today:

B/L: coffee with cream, 2 fresh eggs fried in butter with a few oz leftover steak & mushrooms also warmed in butter. So good!
                D: Will cook up the free range chicken we found at the market, probably roasted veggies.

Still not comfortable today and in need of pain meds. Might have to get re-looked at tomorrow. Did get a referral for physio, that might be a good idea. Keeping fingers crossed at feeling better tomorrow.

Big news for the day...just ordered 55 lbs of local 100% grass fed/free range meat. Variety pack of beef, berkshire pork (an 'heirloom' variety) and lamb. Supposed to be ready within a couple of weeks. Quite excited about this. If we like what we get, we will probably go in with friends (aka cowpooling) for a larger order. Also the friend over last night has a connection to getting us some free range chickens from a local Hudderite community for a really decent price, so hopefully will be getting some of those soon too. Hooray for meat!
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Thought I'd add a few Paris holiday photos. My first try at this, hopefully it works...

Here's a lovely appetizer we shared one dinner, shredded crab on top of avocado and tomato, topped with a creamy mayo dressing

Lovely dinner cobb salad the first night had greens, tomato, avocado, blue cheese, chicken and of course, bacon:

Found the best primal style restaurant one night, what could be better than one with a sign of "meat restaurant...meat and champagne"??? I was very happy that night.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Greensprout; 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM. Reason: major typo...shredded crap is not a good idea!
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

damn, i need to dine in paris sometime. Awsome photos
                    sigpic

Comment

pics look good GS. Tres bien! HOpe your back is feeling a bit better!

Comment

Better? That's relative, I suppose. Lots of meds today but less of the back spasms. Tried a few gentle stretches as recommended, a bit more sore. Will try back to work tomorrow, and seeing physio after lunch.

Today's eats:
                        B: coffee with cream, tried a new smoothie: strawberries, spinach, coconut milk, small avocado, protien powder + cocoa powder. Quite tasty and creamy.
                        L: pancetta bits with brussel sprouts sauteed in the fat (plus butter)
                        S: 4 almonds, couple of radishes, espresso with heavy cream
                        D: leftover steak, roma tomato drizzled with evoo and a bit of creamy feta.

Activity: whole lotta nothing, including a nap. Good grief. Pain sucks. Walked to the mailbox...haha, only about 200 m, but felt every step.

Aiming to keep lower on the carbs and up the fat while I'm less mobile, hopefully this doesn't last too long, I should be at least able to be out walking this week. Stayed away (mostly) from the nuts today, probably because I ate all the cashews yesterday! Probably won't be doing any real IF either for a week or so, as the anti-inflammatory meds are too harsh on the tummy without food. Feeling the desire for something sweet...may just whip up some heavy cream with cocoa instead of going for berries.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I think what you need is a good swig of champagne... french of course! Will be having a few swigs myself tonight to help a friend celebrate her birthday!

Comment

Suse, great idea, haha. Did have a glass of cab sauv tonight. The French champagne we found in Paris was quite divine...at home we more often settle for Spanish Cava (less pricey). Maybe come the weekend??
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Physio today iced my back (not so nice) and gave me some more stretches to do. Pretty sore after being back at work all day, had to get up from the desk and move around after every 15 min or so. Also, not medicating as much, good for the long run but not pleasant in the short term.

Eats:
                              B: coffee with cream (I've pretty much ditched the milk for cream pretty well lately), leftover steak slices with 2 eggs scrambled in butter and heavy cream. Great surprise...one of my eggs from the farmers market (organic free range) was a double yolk!! What a find! Kept me full all day.
                              S: lemon yerba mate tea
                              L: small tin of tuna in olive oil. Meant to have at 2pm to have some food to take anti-inflammatory pill with, but got tied up in a meeting after physio and didn't have it until nearly 4...so that didn't help the back pain. Not really hungry, but needed food with the meds.
                              D: bit of garlic pulled pork with organic saurkraut. Now hubby really thinks I'm nuts.
                              S: just had the cracklings/roasted crispy skin from the pork shoulder...fatty heaven! Brings warm memories of childhood.

Quite minimal on the carbs today. Might have a couple of berries, there are some nice strawberries in my weekly organic produce delivery, and if I don't grab a couple, the kids will have them all gone tonight for sure. Have a bit of whipped cream from last night with a bit of cocoa mixed in or some mascarpone cheese that would go nicely with them...

Activity: just the physio. Should do the stretches again later before bed. I know the physiotherapist from after my knee surgery last year (and run into him regularly in the gym at work), he says that since I'm in good shape I should recover pretty quickly from this muscle strain. Hope he's right.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Yesterday was not a great day.
                                B: smoothie (protein powder, frozen strawberries & blueberries, spinach, coconut milk), coffee with cream
                                L: HB egg, green pepper, small avocado, leftover chicken leg that I'm thinking might have been a bit off...by end of work had bad gi upset, requiring numerous abrupt trips to the bathroom...gassy and crampy. Had to skip son's soccer game as I was still off through the evening.
                                D: was wanting something to settle the tummy. Had my first cup of bengal spice tea with cream...very tasty. Visions of toast and noodles were tempting me, but in the end decided to make a batch of coconut pancakes, so had 4 with butter, and about a tsp of organic low sugar raspberry fruit spread that came as a freebee in my organic produce box this week. More berry than sugary, and only 4 g sugar per tbsp according to the label. Quite yummy and settled the belly as well. Older son (the one trying to be primal) finished off the batch between a late snack and breakfast today. Son #2 does NOT like them at all. His loss, more for us.

Today feeling okay in the belly. Back is still pretty uncomfortable, need to get up and move frequently, but it's never a bad thing to get up from the computer anyway. Had to ice it tonight...something seems terribly wrong about putting ice on one's back...not quite like icing an ankle or a knee. Not too comfortable, but feeling better afterwards.

Eats:
                                B: coffee with cream, small smoothie (frozen strawberry & blueberry, spinach, celery, coconut milk, coconut oil, protein powder)
                                L: small tin of tuna in olive oil, 2 last coconut pancakes with butter
                                D: homemade caesar salad with 4 slices crispy bacon crumbled on top. Haven't made this dressing in ages, due to all the olive oil needed. Seems pretty primal to me now. Really good.

Interesting bits: nearly half of the eggs I've opened from those bought at the farmers market (free range, organic, omega 3) have double yolks! That's so awesome! And those that are singles are huge. Going back to the market tomorrow and buying more. Need to pick up 2 flats instead of just one this week. Going to pick up some nice sausage too. Lots of good fresh stuff there without fillers and other nasty stuff in them.

Enjoying a glass of beaujolais nouveau I picked up a few months ago and never got around to. Nice and fruity. Then off to bed.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X