No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makes perfect sense that the body's response to stress would be to hold on to fat. Good reminder - thanks! And congratulations on the promotion!!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

• right I'm back with some thoughts.
      1. sorry to hear your kid gave you a fright. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a reason I have dogs
      2. fat. We're obsessed arent we ( I totally include myself here) I mean we're not 20 years old, can we really expect to have the body of a 20 year old? Or look like Carrie Sisson... I suspect she's always looked that good. I do think there is something in the stress thing and holding on to fat. But are we really fat, no. I havent seen a particularly clear photo of you but I dont think you look fat at all, but I guess like me, its that poochy bit round the middle that annoys. But maybe we need that little layer of fat. Dont know, just thinking out loud here.

Comment

• I wonder if we're reading the same posts
        I tried FitDay today. But I knew I was gonna do that and I ate less, and NO nuts...
        Maybe I should enter yesterdays #s??

I just bought Why We Get Fat

Congrats on the promotion!!!!!
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
          2. fat. We're obsessed arent we ( I totally include myself here) I mean we're not 20 years old, can we really expect to have the body of a 20 year old? Or look like Carrie Sisson... I suspect she's always looked that good. I do think there is something in the stress thing and holding on to fat. But are we really fat, no. I havent seen a particularly clear photo of you but I dont think you look fat at all, but I guess like me, its that poochy bit round the middle that annoys. But maybe we need that little layer of fat. Dont know, just thinking out loud here.
          hmmm
          I don't expect to have the body of a 20 year old. I'd like it, but I don't expect it

I second Suse. I don't think you look fat at all!
          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts on this.

Yes, we are somewhat obsessed. Is that a reflection of the tone of many of the other forum posts recently? Deeply ingrained societal influence that we must be thin? Personal vanity? More likely somewhere in between with a bit of all of these (and more) rolled in.

Do I want to look like a 20 year old? As I recall, at 20, I had packed on a few pounds living at university, and was at the lower edge of the weight range that I've been moving back and forth on for the past 5 years or so. And I've seen a heck of a lot of muffin topped chubby 20 year olds around all over the place.
            I don't want to look like a 20 year old, but why not want to look like a buff 40-something year old? I don't think that's unreachable. I like having defined muscles, which I've seen a few times in the past.

And no, I don't think I'm fat now, but yes, there is more body fat than I would like to see. I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8, and get those "thin" comments from heavier colleagues. The jiggle is more apparent in a bathing suit! I've been a lot heavier in the past, maybe I'll dig out a photo from about 12 years ago...at one point around 190lbs at 5'6". Not so good. But now, I know I've not reached the potential of where I know I can be, I just need to tweak the 'formula' to find the path with PB.

Oh, my, that was quite a ramble. Not quite sure it all makes sense, but hey, it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.

So, onto today's eats:
            B: coffee with coconut milk
            L: (post workout), BAS with tomato, 1/2 a small avocado, green pepper, balsamic/evoo dressing, a good few slices of steak.
            D: kale sauteed with bacon/lemon/kalamata olives, 2 over easy eggs, 4 asparagus, and the last of the leftover steak. And my last praline from New Orleans. Gone. Good.

I think I'll cut the coconut milk from my coffee for a bit. I seem to be getting well over 100g of fat regardless, so maybe this small bit will help. Cuz I add quite a bit. I don't mind the coffee black on IF days, so why not?
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              Do I want to look like a 20 year old? As I recall, at 20, I had packed on a few pounds living at university, and was at the lower edge of the weight range that I've been moving back and forth on for the past 5 years or so. And I've seen a heck of a lot of muffin topped chubby 20 year olds around all over the place.
              I'd love to look like I did at 20! No Muffin top then! Maybe I should find an old photo...naw, I had HUGE 80's glasses

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              I don't want to look like a 20 year old, but why not want to look like a buff 40-something year old? I don't think that's unreachable. I like having defined muscles, which I've seen a few times in the past.
              Yeah, visible muscles...

I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8,
              Doesn't the size range drive you crazy??
              A Guy's size 32 pant or Med shirt, or size 9 shoe are ALWAYS the same size! Grrrr /RANT

it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.
              iLove this
              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                Maybe I should find an old photo...naw, I had HUGE 80's glasses
                oh yeah, me too...same with my bloated immediately post partum photos from the 90s...ick

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                Yeah, visible muscles...
                gotta like it!

Doesn't the size range drive you crazy??
                A Guy's size 32 pant or Med shirt, or size 9 shoe are ALWAYS the same size! Grrrr /RANT
                Yep. Size 5 can mean fits lovely or are you kidding me I can't fit these damn pants over my thighs...

iLove this
                hehehe

And I'm having a glass of wine to celebrate the promotion . And dreaming of a tropical holiday since it's SO DAMN COLD HERE AGAIN...windchills near -40 all damn day. Trying to remind myself that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb...I can only hope.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                  Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts on this.

Yes, we are somewhat obsessed. Is that a reflection of the tone of many of the other forum posts recently? Deeply ingrained societal influence that we must be thin? Personal vanity? More likely somewhere in between with a bit of all of these (and more) rolled in.

And no, I don't think I'm fat now, but yes, there is more body fat than I would like to see. I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8, and get those "thin" comments from heavier colleagues. The jiggle is more apparent in a bathing suit! I've been a lot heavier in the past, maybe I'll dig out a photo from about 12 years ago...at one point around 190lbs at 5'6". Not so good. But now, I know I've not reached the potential of where I know I can be, I just need to tweak the 'formula' to find the path with PB.

Oh, my, that was quite a ramble. Not quite sure it all makes sense, but hey, it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.
                  oh yeah, I totally agree that I'd like to look buff. And you are so right about the societal influence to be thin and our own personal vanity. Although thats kind of interesting the personal vanity take... cause if we were sooooo concerned about personal vanity we would never have let ourselves get that layer of fat surely (ok ok, yes I've read GCBC - our bodies cant help it) But now I know what to do and yet still dont really do it so dont have the body of a buff 40 something. Sometimes I feel that for all I know, I know nothing at all!

And feel free to ramble, I love ramblers.

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                    Maybe I should find an old photo..
                    I did find old photos a few weeks ago when my sisters and I were going through all my deceased father's albums. I was shocked at at how thin I was, as I never felt that way. I felt flattered when my sisters said they think I'm close to how I was in the pictures---weird because scale weight has me up by +20 lbs. Thanks PB, not to mention my "generous" siblings.

I also had the HUGE 80's glasses.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      I did find old photos a few weeks ago when my sisters and I were going through all my deceased father's albums. I was shocked at at how thin I was, as I never felt that way. I felt flattered when my sisters said they think I'm close to how I was in the pictures---weird because scale weight has me up by +20 lbs. Thanks PB, not to mention my "generous" siblings.

I also had the HUGE 80's glasses.
                      Interesting to look back at some of those old photos and come to the realization that maybe we're never really satisfied?? When I look at the ones from university, even though I remember feeling pudgy, I look pretty darn good. I like your sisters' analysis .

In the 80s, I once had a pair of bright blue huge frames, and another time a pair of huge red ones. What were we thinking??? Those really old photos haven't yet been scanned into our digital collection, so they can keep quietly hidden for now.

Badminton for PT time at work today, so 45 min or so of a combo of fun and slow movement. Not bad, though I'd rather have done my lifting. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Home quick to get son to practice, then eventually a late(ish) dinner at 8pm. Feeling full and fatigued now. Lately I've been staying up late to try to ensure the boys get into bed at a semi reasonable hour for teenagers, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle there. Yet I feel somewhat guilty and responsible if I go to bed before making sure they're squared away. At the cost of my decent sleep.

Today's eats:
                      B: black coffee
                      L: sandwich bar at work (we're supposed to go there together on Wednesdays). Took some deli turkey and ham with lettuce, tomato, cuke, onion & pickles with a bowl of tomato veg soup. Pretty much non fat (as I passed on the commercial salad dressing) so I had some shredded coconut at my desk later.
                      NO after work snack.
                      D: mess of hot chicken wings, 6 ribs of celery with homemade guacamole. A glass of white.

On another note, I do feel things tightening up since I have been back to working out. The lifting is most definitely a good thing.

I should be doing homework. I did a bit of readings at son's practice. I feel like I could go to bed quite fine right now...
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
                        oh yeah, I totally agree that I'd like to look buff. And you are so right about the societal influence to be thin and our own personal vanity. Although thats kind of interesting the personal vanity take... cause if we were sooooo concerned about personal vanity we would never have let ourselves get that layer of fat surely (ok ok, yes I've read GCBC - our bodies cant help it) But now I know what to do and yet still dont really do it so dont have the body of a buff 40 something. Sometimes I feel that for all I know, I know nothing at all!
                        I'm not so sure that we aren't concerned about the personal vanity thing (yes, I realize everybody is different, some are less or more concerned than others), but sometimes in the throes of living, we choose to ignore the subtle signs and think "yeah, I'm good", until one day a look in the mirror or outgrowing a comfortable piece of clothing jolts the reality of "holy crap, I'm getting fat", or something like that. It can creep up until one day you no longer feel comfortable in your own skin. Been there, done that. And not just from post baby weight. Does that make any sense??

This all sounds very sad...
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Up late trying to get my kids to go to bed, (gee, I thought I was past this battle when they were 9 or so. apparently not), and then nearly a battle to get one of them up again in the morning. Some days I think I should have stuck to pets . Not really. Just some days. So about 6 hours of sleep.

Lifting day, workout B, level 1 of NROLFW. I tried the deadlifts finally again today, 40 lb warmup set, then 3 sets of 50 lb x 10 reps. Not bad. I focused on using my butt and legs while keeping the low back stable, and though I feel it a tiny bit in the back, I definitely feel it in the legs & butt. Will focus on the form for a while rather than looking at higher weights and see how that goes. Then 3 sets each of 10 reps of shoulder press 30 lb, wide grip lat pulldowns 60 lb, lunges with 40 lb and swiss ball crunches with hands outstretched overhead for 15 rep sets. Walked about 15 min at the end just to loosen up.

I let son #1 drive all the way to his gym, including on a busier road with lots of traffic. Still a couple of stalls at intersections, but he is getting better with practice. He's finally starting to appreciate the stickshift, and even enjoy it. Ha...told ya.

Today's eats:
                          B: black coffee
                          L: post workout, very BAS with spinach, arugula, green pepper, cauliflower, tomato, red cabbage, 2 HB eggs, lemon/avocado oil dressing, guacamole, and then the last 5 small chicken wings. The salad was almost too big...but I ate it all.
                          S: had a few of kid's chips with cream cheese dip...??? Stopped at least after a few.
                          D: diced bacon, grass fed ground beef, onion, garlic, green pepper over leftover kale topped with a runny fried egg with sriracha. Ommnomnom.

Now have to go pick up kid from the gym, he plans to drive back...
                          Last edited by Greensprout; 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: meant to say 15 lb dumbells each side for shoulder press
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Teens and sleep. Teens and stick shift driving. Yeah, that's all kinds of fun

Awesome workout!

Great eats!
                            I know what you mean about an almost too big salad
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• The kid did well with yesterday's driving, but tonight managed to back out of the garage into the snowbank that I had to get out of (the driveway slopes down toward the street...clutch control still needs work), and stalled more times that I can remember. Funny.

Today I chose to not go play an hour of sports at work, as I really didn't feel up to it. So no workouts today. But I have already done my 2 days of LHT for the week, so that's okay. Feeling yesterday's deadlifts and lunges in the legs for sure.

Eats:
                              B: coffee black
                              L: 2 HB eggs with guacamole, a bunch of celery, some deli turkey breast and about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut.
                              S: after work had some almonds, macadamias (first nuts in a few days) and a piece of havarti cheese.
                              D: Not ravenous after the snack, had thrown some local veal shanks in the slowcooker with onion, garlic & beef broth this morning. Ate some with the juice with some sauteed rapini (first time trying this, tastes kind of peppery, not bad but not spectacular) and a bit of broccoli. A couple of the bones had some marrow...so I slurped it out and it really is tasty. Soft, fatty goodness that melts in your mouth. I actually had to suck it out of one of the bones...good thing there were no witnesses. Hubby wasn't here, he would have been completely put off by that

So now the kids are delivered out to friends places, and I'm having a norcal margarita.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Sounds like a great day.
                                Humour, rest, macadamia nuts, marrow, free evening and a norcal margarita

Ohh look at the time!
                                got to go to bed
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X