No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year my daughter said that she can't remember what she got for Christmas last year, but she will always remember the Cozumel Christmas.
    yes christmas is too much about stuff - how can you possibly remember who gave you what. (having said that I got diamond studs last christmas and they have not left my ears since!). Going somewhere as a family unit is a much better idea.

Comment

• Yes, the boys really enjoyed traveling for the holidays last year, we were ziplining in Roatan on Christmas Eve, how awesome is that?? We aren't taking a warm winter trip this year, but are looking into a cruise to Alaska for summer.

Got to leave work early (after pizza lunch purchased by the boss...needless to say, I abstained). One of the staff asked me if I'd had my pizza yet, and I replied that I no longer eat grains. She was puzzled..."well, that must be hard...what do you eat?". I said I eat lots of meat and veg, and that when I do have grain things, they don't agree with my so much. More puzzled, as she mentioned that she's always had issues with grains, and even more since her lap band surgery (eek!), but hadn't really thought about eliminating grains completely, she's just cut down. Hmmm.

Someone was handing out really good chocolates first thing this morning, I declined. Later, I had second thoughts. So when I went wandering to find one, of course, they were all gone...which is a good thing. Only doughnuts left. Doughnuts? What kind of holiday treat are doughnuts??

Today's eats:
      B: coffee with coconut milk
      S: tea with coconut milk, one english breakfast with stevia, one bengal spice
      L: none
      Few nuts after work (hey, I didn't have any yesterday, woo hoo), one pepperoni stick, one babybel cheese
      D: skinless chicken breast coated with bacon fat, garlic & onion powder and smoked paprika, roasted cauliflower, roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon.
      Feel like I might need something more later. Undetermined if I'm still hungry or just not full, so will decide on that later.

Probably should wrap stuff tonight...I remember the days of staying up until well past midnight Christmas Eve after the kids were in bed finishing up the wrapping and Santa stuff...kind of different now. Hubby got their stuff wrapped as I made dinner since the boys were out.

The stuffy, runny nose, cough and sneezing are still here today, but not worse, and a tad batter than last night. Damn virus, you will not get the best of me!

Oooh, nearly forgot to mention my great find at a Mediterranean market...a container of frozen rendered duck fat! It's the first time I've seen it in any shop, so had to grab it. Not sure what I'll be cooking in it, but no doubt there are some yummy dishes coming up in my kitchen.
      Last edited by Greensprout; 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM. Reason: forgot the fat :)
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Yes, the boys really enjoyed traveling for the holidays last year, we were ziplining in Roatan on Christmas Eve, how awesome is that?? We aren't taking a warm winter trip this year, but are looking into a cruise to Alaska for summer.
        Very awesome My kids swam with dolphins on Christmas Eve. An Alaskan cruise would be really nice.

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Got to leave work early (after pizza lunch purchased by the boss...needless to say, I abstained). One of the staff asked me if I'd had my pizza yet, and I replied that I no longer eat grains. She was puzzled..."well, that must be hard...what do you eat?". I said I eat lots of meat and veg, and that when I do have grain things, they don't agree with my so much. More puzzled, as she mentioned that she's always had issues with grains, and even more since her lap band surgery (eek!), but hadn't really thought about eliminating grains completely, she's just cut down. Hmmm.
        Until you try primal it just seems SO huge of a hurdle - give up grains?!? I was probably there last year...

Probably should wrap stuff tonight...I remember the days of staying up until well past midnight Christmas Eve after the kids were in bed finishing up the wrapping and Santa stuff...kind of different now. Hubby got their stuff wrapped as I made dinner since the boys were out.
        Yup. That ended once the kids stayed up longer than me. For a bit I tried waking up really early, but now, I fill the stockings while they are still up and then I go to bed...

The stuffy, runny nose, cough and sneezing are still here today, but not worse, and a tad batter than last night. Damn virus, you will not get the best of me!

Oooh, nearly forgot to mention my great find at a Mediterranean market...a container of frozen rendered duck fat! It's the first time I've seen it in any shop, so had to grab it. Not sure what I'll be cooking in it, but no doubt there are some yummy dishes coming up in my kitchen.
        I hope you finish fighting the virus by tomorrow!

rendered duck fat...hmmm...nice
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Had a small apple with almond butter for a snack last evening, plus 2 glasses of wine. Wasn't particularly hungry after all.

Gifts are all wrapped, Woot!

I had only coffee with coconut milk to start the day, I'm saving myself for the Christmas eve feast. Taking a little break before starting on the prep, and have a lovely bottle of my favourite pinot gris chilling. Much bacon wrapped primal fare awaits <drooling> And there are no cookies/pastries/chocolates/candy in the house. Only some dark chocolate. And the kids' choice for dessert was fresh berries. Awesome.

A few snowflakes are falling, no more errands to do (well, maybe have to pick son #1 up from the gym soon), and life is good.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Nearly midnight, only the stockings left to fill.

The feast was great, we made far more than the four of us can consume, as tends to happen every year. Contents were: assorted raw veg and pork rinds with guacamole, smoked salmon, smoked oysters, bacon wrapped scallops, chorizo, hot cappicholo salami, prociutto, bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed jalapenos, pepper pate, assorted olives, triple cream brie, kerrygold dubliner, gruyere, emmenthal. Dates stuffed with almond wrapped in bacon. Perogies and sour dough bread for the boys. Although I really hadn't eaten all day until the meal, I'm pretty sure I didn't eat as much as I did in other years. Had enough to be happily satisfied. Many hours later, fresh berries - blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries & cherries (yes, totally non seasonal but tasty) with cocoa-cinnamon whipped cream. Quite nice. And between hubby and I, several glasses of BC pinot gris and California pinot noir throughout the prep and meal. Now topping off the evening with a nice drop of cognac.

We had our annual visit by Santa's elves for Christmas eve. This is something we started when the kids were tiny, Santa's elves "sneak in" sometime in the evening, leaving everyone some new pajamas and a book. I'm happy with getting Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution.

Merry Christmas (or happy holidays to be politically correct) to all. Or whoever reads my ramblings.
            Last edited by Greensprout; 12-24-2010, 11:20 PM. Reason: forgot the dates. They were fabulous.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Christmas brunch was an awesome 3 egg omelet filled with smoked salmon, cream cheese, fresh chives & dill, some fried tomatoes, and a couple of slices of bacon. Mmmm. Kept me totally full all day.

I received some lovely primal friendly gifts in my stocking, including a brewt tea infuser with herbal tea, an immersion blender, a microplane for the kitchen, and Mary Enig's book "eat fat lose fat" to go with the paleo solution book. Nice.

Dinner at friends was good, a traditional Christmas meal with primal options. I chose to include a couple of spoonsful of stuffing, a little mashed potato with gravy, and a bite of apple pie. Otherwise, my meal was good; turkey, mashed cauliflower and mashed sweet potato, carrots, brussle sprouts, green beans, with the PB chocolate coconut custard for dessert. Oh, and a few assorted chocolates, some nuts, and several glasses of wine. Feeling fine today after a good sleep in.

Today's breakfast was cream cheese & red onion in celery sticks wrapped in smoked salmon slices. Lots of leftover bits from the Christmas eve feast to go through in the next couple of days.

Now to get onto my plans for this week off work, that is, organizing/sorting and decluttering at home. I think I need to start back at the PB fitness too, it can be a kickstart to get back moving and lifting heavy things.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Your Christmas Eve meal sounds absolutely wonderful!!!
                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                  Your Christmas Eve meal sounds absolutely wonderful!!!
                  Thanks! It was quite delish, and made for some great leftovers.

I've had another lazy day. That's two in a row. I thought I'd be more productive today, but whatever. Late nights with lots of wine. Hardly primal in those quantities. Did manage to clean the bathroom (well, most of it), do some laundry and make soup. Kept venturing into my closet to sort stuff and was overwhelmed and kept leaving again. I feel like a slackass. Tomorrow is another fresh day. Tomorrow also starts early, as son #2 has a soccer tournament over the next few days, with us having to be at the indoor field for 0745. Bah. I think he's less impressed than I am with that. But I do love to watch him play.

Yesterday's eats:
                  B: as stated, coffee, smoked salmon with cream cheese on celery, some cucumber
                  L: ?? Probably had a few snacks and a bit of chocolate. I recall some pork rinds with guacamole and cheese.
                  D: big bowl of raw veg and crispy pork belly. Lots of wine through the evening and night.

Today:
                  B: coffee with coconut milk. Some gruyere & hard salami, 2 hb eggs.
                  L: don't think I did. Maybe a bit of chocolate. And a couple of dates.
                  D: made soup: homemade chicken stock, leftover chicken, lots of veg pureed with my new immersion blender (onion, garlic, celery, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower), one of the cheddar/bacon almond flour scones from another thread. The soup was decent, the scones dry but tasty. Filled me to the brim.

Had some gin with lime and soda, maybe some white wine soon. And berries.

I've managed to read the entire Robb Wolf Paleo Solution. Decent book. Not a whole lot of new info at this point, but well presented and an entertaining read. I'm really reevaluating where I'm at and where I need to be going. I think a strict paleo type approach might be the ticket for next month, it certainly couldn't hurt, in any case. Grains and legumes have been out forever, but dairy and alcohol abstinence would likely be a welcome change. I am expecting a good deal of work related stress next month, so 'getting the house in order' is a good idea. I'm not quite totally committed yet, but expect that I will be. It just makes sense. Looking back through this journal of late, it seems to have had a negative tone, so time to shake things up with a more positive perspective.

Today is also hubby's birthday.
                  Last edited by Greensprout; 12-27-2010, 08:56 PM.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Up early for son #2's game, he played well but the rest of his team was not quite as on. Repeat early tomorrow.

Spent about 45 min chipping off built up snow and ice from the driveway...does that count for either lifting heavy things (chunks of ice) or moving slowly?? Built up a sweat, anyway. It was sunny and only -3C, so a beautiful day. I wanted to get that stuff cleared up before the next incoming snowfall. If the max of the forecast is correct, we may have another 30+ cm by the end of the weekend.

Today's eats:
                    B: black coffee
                    L: bowl of yesterday's chicken veg soup. Some smoked salmon.
                    D: bigass striploin steak on the BBQ, grilled asparagus & sauteed mushrooms. Few glasses of amarone while watching the last episode of prerecorded miniseries "The Pillers of the Earth" from the Ken Follett novel. Really good.

Productivity? Well, aside from the driveway, not a heck of a lot. I don't quite think a trip to Costo counts.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yeah for lazy days!!

Good luck with the soccer tournament. Watching them play is great! I always said that my favorite sport was whatever my kids were playing

I have Robb Wolf, but I haven't read it yet...

Good luck if you decide to go strictly paleo. A positive attitude is a great idea.

Happy belated birthday to your hubby.

Spent about 45 min chipping off built up snow and ice from the driveway...does that count for either lifting heavy things (chunks of ice) or moving slowly?? Built up a sweat, anyway.

Productivity? Well, aside from the driveway, not a heck of a lot. I don't quite think a trip to Costo counts.
                      The driveway definitely counts
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• A bit sluggish for the first half of the day, no doubt to the wine last night and the lingering tickle that wakes me up coughing in the night. Otherwise, the cold is mostly on the way out.

2 soccer games today for son #2, both victories. Tomorrow is tournament semi-final at 4 then maybe the final at 7.

Ventured out to the thrift stores today to get a 'costume' for New Year's Eve. We're invited to a murder mystery dinner party. I found a recipe for primal chocolate biscotti (has some maple syrup and almond flour), so will give that a go to bring.

Today's eats:
                        L: 3 fried eggs with bacon, later a few almonds and 2 pepperoni sticks
                        D: pan fried snapper, roasted broccoli, cauliflower & carrot.
                        S: spicy hard salami, assorted cheese. We have lots of cheese left from Christmas, so getting my fill before I forego the dairy for next month. Some wine.

Tomorrow I have a massage booked, so very much looking forward to 90 min of pummeling and the resultant feeling like jello.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The massage today was good, not the best I've had, but pretty good anyway. I think I could have used a more intense deep muscle kind of thing. The best ones I've had I feel completely like jello afterwards.

Son #2 won his first game today, but the team lost in the final this evening. He played well, anyway. Makes a lot of great plays happen, he's a player who really thinks when he plays, but unfortunately, his teammates of lesser talents don't always get it. A few days off sports now.

Today's eats:
                          S: post massage, one babybel cheese, pepperoni stick, couple of macadamias and almonds. A lara bar since I though we'd be eating later...
                          D: zucchini 'pasta' with ground beef marinara sauce, parmesan. The new stainless steel rasp works awesome for grating fresh parmesan.
                          later a couple of almond stuffed dates. Rum & diet coke.

I'm making some 'primal' biscotti for the dinner party tomorrow...it's now cooling before slicing and the rebake. I think it will be an epic fail, probably will fall apart when I slice it as the dough is terribly crumbly. I used the dough attachment on the food processor as I thought that made sense (I'm still a newb at my food processor), which may have been a mistake. Maybe the regular blade would have done a better job at forming a dough?? Whatever. I'll probably end up bringing biscotti "crumbs", to show that at least I made the effort. Tasted the dough, it's pretty sweet, as it had 1/2 cup of honey. I was planning on using maple syrup, but evidently the kids used the last of it, unbeknownst to me.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Happy New Year

The dinner party yesterday was great, decently primalized foods, with some indulgences along the way. Murder mystery solved, and it wasn't me who was the killer, haha. We made it home around 130 am, and had a good sleep in today.

Ate a handful of snackish stuff through the day yesterday, including cheese, nuts, pepperoni, an apple with almond butter. Perhaps subconsciously (or not) trying to get my fill of this stuff before tightening the reins in a bit for Jan??

At the dinner party: nuts, smoked salmon, avocado/tomato salad that also included corn (???) which I picked out, snow peas/carrot salad, asparagus, mashed cauliflower, cornish hens, poached pears in red wine reduction, primal biscotti, assorted chocolates (oops), several glasses of wine and bubbles, a cheese plate came out late along with strawberries & grapes. Whew. At least I made an effort to not go too crazy on the wine, so consequently I don't feel like crap today, yay me.

Most definitely will be dialing in the alcohol intake, the holidays have been a good excuse to indulge far too often with far too much. Still working through my overall plan for January, which hubby and I discussed over coffee today, he's in for getting back to focusing on the 95% rather than aiming for 80% and settling for maybe 60%.

Okay, off to make bacon & eggs.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• First eats of 2011:
                              B: coffee with coconut milk, lots of bacon with 2 over easy eggs
                              D: steak & salad. Glass of red. Well, maybe 2.

I used my new immersion blender for the balsamic vinaigrette, and it works amazingly. EVOO, red wine vinagar, balsamic, one clove of garlic, black pepper, thyme. And I made a steak for the first time in a cast iron pan, which also turned out fabulous. A bit of smoke in the kitchen, which I had read to expect, turned out a lovely medium rare with minimal effort. Finished it off with a red wine reduction, which was mouthgasm tasty. I impressed myself . A good primal start to a new year in the kitchen.

I've been watching a marathon of "the next Iron Chef", which is pretty cool. I love a good food show.

I also finally got moving to do a bit of organizing in the house, not as much as I had planned, but a good start anyway. In the end, I am feeling rather positive today, in contrast to many days of late. A new year, a fresh start. I plan to continue doing more of the same. <self ass kick>
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                                Murder mystery solved, and it wasn't me who was the killer, haha.
                                So glad you weren't the murderer

At least I made an effort to not go too crazy on the wine, so consequently I don't feel like crap today, yay me.
                                Yay you!!

I used my new immersion blender for the balsamic vinaigrette, and it works amazingly.
                                I've been thinking about getting one of those. What one do you have?

I also finally got moving to do a bit of organizing in the house, not as much as I had planned, but a good start anyway. In the end, I am feeling rather positive today, in contrast to many days of late. A new year, a fresh start. I plan to continue doing more of the same. <self ass kick>
                                Good for you!
                                I'd planned on doing all kinds of de-cluttering this fall (since I was basically unemployed)
                                It didn't happen.
                                But It's one of my January goals
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X