Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
    Um, Greensprout, the frolicking nude in the moonlight is for the SUMMER solstice

Excellent +2 on the medical results!!
    Hehehe. Just a thought...and there's certainly more moonlight to be had in December than June...though there's always nude hottubbing, if the kids are out, I doubt any of the back neighbours would even notice

I got the numbers for the last lipid panel from 2007, yes, TChol is up, but HDL is WAY up and Trig are considerably down, thus LDL is also up but still in the really good range. I'm happy with that.

Today's eats:
    IF 19 hours.
    D: slow cooked garlic pulled pork on top of sauteed kale. Not a large portion but it stuffed me good. Then 3 squares mint chocolate.

I roasted up the skin from the pork shoulder...OMG, cracklings to die for. Hubby just groans, shakes his head and rolls his eyes. More for me. Actually, I had just a bit and it was enough for today, I'm really not hungry. Good for tomorrow. I had a good internal laugh when the boys were picking out their pork from the dish, as son #2 pulled out a piece with some fatty bits he said to hubby "this looks like a Mom piece" and put it back. LOL.

Had to take the kids out shopping for some clothes. Bloody expensive, teenagers are.

Now some last bits of course work to finish up, with a glass of red to assist. Tomorrow is my fitness test at work, since I missed the ruck march due to buggering up my back last month. Should be easy peasy, a shuttle run (same as the 'beep test' the kids do in school), hand grip strength, pushups and situps. The minimum standard to pass is ridiculously low, in my opinion. Yet there are people in uniform who fail regularly. That's disturbing.

I'm so looking forward to the holiday break, relax, get some quality sleep and sort out a workout plan for myself, as I've been far too lax on that for far too long.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I made it through the fitness today no problem, even though I feel totally out of condition compared to where I've been at points in the past. Need to get my ass moving and retighten all the jiggly bits that have softened up over the past few months of relative inactivity. Definitely a goal over the Christmas break to get back rolling there. Not sure if it might be mainly bodyweight work, something like shovelglove, or back to the gym for some heavy lifting. I've had a lot of success with both bodyweight stuff and lifting before. And last year I found a program that incorporated a lot of joint mobility stuff and prasara yoga (bodyweight blueprint), so will probably add some of that in too.

The nasty cold snap has gone, and we are out of the storm track that's dumping a ton to both the east and west. I'm good with all of that.

Today's eating:
      B: (late) 2 HB eggs, little bit of flank steak, coffee with coconut milk.
      No lunch, but ended up eating a bar of 57% dark chocolate (WTF??) that somebody had given me at work. Waxy and too sweet. And I ate it all. ?????
      Few macadamia nuts, maybe 1/8 of a cup
      D: last of the sauteed kale, bit of pulled pork, one chicken thigh, roasted cauliflower/broccoli/mushroom & carrot.
      Glass of red.

Trying hard to get a bunch of stuff done at work before the holidays, and I may be having a change soon, so want to tie up some loose ends, but keep getting distracted. More sleep would help there, I'm sure. I've been really bad this week with staying up far too late.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Had to take the kids out shopping for some clothes. Bloody expensive, teenagers are.
        Yup.

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        I made it through the fitness today no problem, even though I feel totally out of condition compared to where I've been at points in the past. Need to get my ass moving and retighten all the jiggly bits that have softened up over the past few months of relative inactivity. Definitely a goal over the Christmas break to get back rolling there. Not sure if it might be mainly bodyweight work, something like shovelglove, or back to the gym for some heavy lifting. I've had a lot of success with both bodyweight stuff and lifting before. And last year I found a program that incorporated a lot of joint mobility stuff and prasara yoga (bodyweight blueprint), so will probably add some of that in too.

More sleep would help there, I'm sure. I've been really bad this week with staying up far too late.
        Congrats on passing your fitness test!

"retighten jiggly bits" wish I was at that stage...

Go to bed! I'm going now...right now...as soon as I get off the 'puter...signing off now...
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Today I have tight calves, probably because I wore my VFFs for the fitness test yesterday, and I haven't used them for sprinting/running in a few months since it turned cold. Of course, I haven't been doing any running or sprinting with anything else either...

I do seem to have beaten off that cold that was trying to surface last weekend. Upped the vit D and added in large doses of vit C this week seems to have done the trick. It never really went beyond a couple of days of feeling blah, and otherwise some minor sinus congestion and runny nose with the odd sneeze thrown in just for fun. First touch of cold virus I've had since last January, which was pre primal.

Today's eats:
          B: coffee with coconut milk. later a black tea with coconut milk & stevia.
          L: mixed green salad with balsamic/evoo/dijon, healthy dose of pulled pork, one HB egg. I crumbled a chunk of the pork cracklings over the salad for a primal crouton...fantastic. Kept me full all day from when I ate at 1130 until dinner at 8.
          D: 3 chicken thighs warmed in bacon fat, sauteed spinach in the same drippings. Chicken in bacon fat should be mandatory eating for all humans.

We have a Christmas potluck at work tomorrow. There will be a freshly roasted turkey (we have a full stove/oven at work, so one of the ladies is coming in at 6am to put the bird in the oven), and the rest is the potluck part. Normally huge amounts of everything, and usually there are a few primal friendly choices...like meat, cheese, veg. I'm bringing bacon/egg/avocado/tomato salad from the PB reader cookbook. That's why I had lots of bacon fat to warm my chicken in tonight. I had to put all the crispy bacon lardons away because I could see myself nibbling away the whole pound, bit by bit, as this was before supper. Crisis averted, I ate only perhaps one slice worth. There will be games and a gift exchange (I'm bringing a lovely bottle of gewurtztraminer, of course). Saturday night is the official work Christmas party with significant others, dinner and dancing. Sunday afternoon is our close friends' open house, they are the ones who are following PB too. Normally they have a ton of hors d'ouvres and such, will be interesting to see if they still also serve mostly non primal eats or stick to mostly the right way for the crowd. Always lots of wine, too.

And happy anniversary to me & hubby today, 19 years ago today we were hanging out on a beach in Jamaica...a lot nicer than the -20 C windchill and snow of today. The kids are out at their school dance and require picking up, so the more official celebration will be tomorrow with some good steaks and a bottle of bubbly. Steak and good wine seem to be the standard 'nice dinner at home' fare around here.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Today I have tight calves, probably because I wore my VFFs for the fitness test yesterday, and I haven't used them for sprinting/running in a few months since it turned cold. Of course, I haven't been doing any running or sprinting with anything else either...
            Me neither

I crumbled a chunk of the pork cracklings over the salad for a primal crouton...fantastic.
            I LOVE this idea!

Have a good time this weekend, sounds like you've got lots to do!

and

Happy Anniversary!!!
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• You are so on track! I think I want to exchange my meal menus with yours..... yours sound better! LOL
              sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

• Originally posted by TAWFUNGUY View Post
                I think I want to exchange my meal menus with yours..... yours sound better! LOL
                Coming from you, Mr Creativity in the kitchen, I'm flattered

Yesterday's potluck at work was quite decent, I avoided grains & starchy stuff, just a smidge of a treat with sugar. I had roast turkey, pepperoni & garlic sausage, lots of cheese, some raw veg, shrimp with seafood stuff sauce, salad, a few potato chips (oops), 2 small squares of a semi-sweet chocolate/egg white/almond/date thing that had 1/4 cup of sugar in the entire pan, so not too bad. I had a bite of a ferarro rocher dark chocolate, and threw the rest away. Oh, and I had a couple of ounces of "moose milk", wasn't planning to but the person mixing insisted he needed someone to taste after he added the rum. It's a holiday thing, a punch of egg nog, milk, melted vanilla ice cream and rum. Very rich, and quite obnoxiously sweet. The little taste was plenty. Oh, my bacon/avocado/egg/tomato salad was a hit, at least for those who can drag themselves out of the box and eat something "exotic" like avocado.

So yesterday's eats:
                B: coffee with coconut milk
                L: the abovementioned potluck
                D: quite late, small striploin steak, grilled asparagus & sauteed mushrooms. Red wine, we never quite got to the bottle of cava as planned for the belated anniversary dinner, so will have that for another day over the holidays.

Today is shopping (which should be ridiculous this close to Christmas) for groceries and other stuff for stockings, will dress appropriately for elbowing through crowds and be prepared to hunt down the farthest parking spot at the back of the lot. Then off to my work Christmas party, probably will eat something before going as I'm not expecting a good meal, we've been at other functions at this location, and the catering was pretty marginal, imho. Whatever, I was not involved in the planning, so no biggie. I certainly won't starve, and the tickets were reasonably priced. I can't see us being out too late, but you never know.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• So yesterday was decent. The party was okay, we didn't stay late. Dinner was marginal, as expected.

Saturday:
                  B: coffee with HWC
                  4pm: steak & 2 fried eggs
                  7pm D: roast beef, green salad with bottled dressing, pickled beets, few green beans & carrots from the overcooked frozen mixed veg, one cabbage roll made with rice in tomato sauce. No dessert (hubby had a piece of pie with ice cream, I was not tempted). 1.5 glasses wine, one vodka & soda. Another couple of glasses of wine later at home, plus a few nuts, 2 pepperoni sticks & one babybel cheese.

Was up late, waiting for son #1 to get home, then we had a good adult like chat about his thoughts about university programs, and so on. He's a pretty mature kid, still has 2 more years after this one until graduation, but is already looking into programs he will like, which is cool. He's a creative type (where did that come from??) and looking at the computer gaming industry, but not sure if it's a programming, storywriting or art end of things to focus on.

Sleep in today, then off to son #2's soccer game, where he played well and nearly got into a fight after being pushed by another player a bit too much for his liking, but managed to keep things in check. After we got home, it was immediately off to friend's open house, where I consumed a lot of cheese (holy crap, she had at least 15 varieties of the good stuff), pate, meatballs, smoked wild salmon made by a friend who caught the fish, raw veg, 2 glasses of wine, a few potato chips with guacamole (I used to love potato chips, still tempting but I've not bought any in nearly a year), 3 after 8 dark mint chocolates, one coconut milk chocolate quality street, one little toffee chocolate, tried a mini pecan butter tart where I ate some of the filling and tossed the rest (I used to love the pie crust most of all, this was strangely disappointing), 2 small bites of not worth it shortbread (which is also a long time favourite, these weren't very good at all, not homemade). So now I'm home, feeling the sugar buzz which is not particularly a good sensation. No dinner for me, I'm done for tonight I thing, unless I need a good snack of meat later. So much for enjoying the holiday fare, I feel blah and it was truely not worth it to eat that crap.

Back onto meat and veg for this week, until our Christmas eve 'feast' which will be a primal one.

Ok, I've since had 4 slices of bacon through the evening (after one kid wanted bacon & eggs for dinner, so I baked some bacon), plus hubby & I shared the anniversary bottle of cava while watching the finale of Hells Kitchen (good choice on the winner), and one chocolate toffee I stashed in my purse from this aftenoon (bad greensprout). Time for bed now. I think bacon & eggs are in order for tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Greensprout; 12-19-2010, 09:46 PM. Reason: added stuff
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• everything is sounding good in your life, congrats on your 19years!

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
                      everything is sounding good in your life, congrats on your 19years!
                      Thanks Suse.

Today has disappeared far too quickly. Work, with son #2 left home sick with a nasty cough and fever. Fever is under control this evening, but still has a nasty cough. He still has 2 more days of school before the holiday break, I'm doubtful he'll go tomorrow, though he missed a math test today and says he has to go on Wed if Tues doesn't work out. And I just spilled cough syrup all over him. Oops. Drove son #1 to the gym after getting home from work, made and ate dinner, then out to do some shopping, as I've been kind of busy lately and not got a lot done. Ah well.

Today's eats:
                      B: 3 strips bacon with 3 scrambled eggs
                      No lunch, but on an impulse ate some potato chips left out in the lunchroom. No problem passing on the Chinese takeout brought in by the rest of the staff, but I ate the chips later anyway. Felt unpleasant afterwards, so serves me right.
                      After work a few macadamias and almonds.
                      D: bunch of buffalo wings.
                      Big glass of red after shopping. It's snowing again, and the roads were slick, managed to divert around all the idiot drivers out there.

3 more days of work until the holidays...
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Managed to get a bit of shopping done this evening. We're pretty much done for the boys, and hubby & I decided to do stockings only for each other this year. We'd rather save for vacations away than spending a bunch on things we don't really need. So I need a few more bits for his stocking, so not doing too badly.

We normally have Christmas with just the 4 of us at home (though last year was on a cruise ship in the Caribbean...highly recommended). The "feast" is on Christmas eve, generally a load of apps and finger foods, so this year it will be easy to primalize. I will have some perogies for the boys, as they insist, and maybe one baguette for them, but lots of meat/seafood/cheese/veg stuffs for us. For Christmas dinner, our newly going primal friends have invited us over.

Eats:
                        B: coffee with coconut milk
                        L: spinach salad with cuke, tomato & mushroom, dressed with homemade mayo with garlic & sriracha and pork cracking "croutons" , 6 or 7 leftover buffalo wings.
                        Later: ate some potato chips and a large number of candies...'smooth mints' or some such thing. Why??? That's why I don't buy that crap nor keep it in my house. Sugar high and inevitable low followed.
                        D: looked in the fridge and tossed some stuff together. Diced bacon, onion, garlic, ground beef, green pepper, served on a bed of spinach and topped with a runny fried egg and more sriracha. The kids had theirs with broccoli for the spinach and no hot sauce. They said I have to make it again, and asked what it was...I determined it was appropriately deemed "solstice hash", in honour of the day. Thumbs up for mom!

Maybe I'll get to bed at a decent hour tonight, this week (as seems pretty usual) it's been not before 1130, and some nights later, no particularly good reason. Another reason to look forward to recharging over the holidays. Sometimes it's nice to not be living anywhere near family, as we don't have the obligations and same stressors as it can be when you live close. We can just do our own thing.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I should add that there was a bit of wine and a few almonds also consumed last night, and decent bedtime did not happen. More like 1120ish.

Thought about fasting today, but decided to add coconut milk to my coffee. Thought I'd stick with just that in tea through the day, but of course, the gang at work had another spread laid out in the lunch room at 1000, I looked, lots of tortilla chips, bread/buns, baked sweet goods, phyllo wrapped hors d'ovres, etc. I decided to have 3 slices of garlic sausage, about 9 shrimp in cocktail sauce and 1 strawberry. And later had more of those stupid mint candies from yesterday, but far less than half of what I had last time. Bah. They're really not even that good, not like they're chocolate or something.

I threw some ribs in the slow cooker this morning that I had rubbed with dry spices last night. I love coming home to a warm, meaty aroma in the house. Sick son #2 went back to school today for his last day before holidays, son #1 was having the same symptoms last night and this am, but sent me a text that he's feeling better and even did a workout at lunchtime. Both hubby and I woke with sore throats and sinus congestion, I've been sneezing all day and am a bit chilly despite cranking the heat in my office. Grrrr. I feel slightly better after closing the door and relaxing with my eyes closed over lunchtime. Gotta load up once again on the Vit C, up the Vit D, and maybe pull out some chicken bone broth from the freezer. Hmmm, this should once again be a good motivator for me to go to bed early...not a very good track record on this, duh.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• oh dear, hope you dont get the lurgy. Feel better soon. yes up the vitamin intake and snooze.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
                              oh dear, hope you dont get the lurgy.
                              I had to google lurgy. "an undefined infectious malady" or "British slang for feeling like shit". (Urban Dictionary.com). I think I have the latter.

Did a bit more shopping, still feel like crap. Son #1 looks worse. At least tomorrow we are likely to be let go from work after lunch, as we then close our clinic until the New Year. Probably will go get the rest of the Christmas groceries.

The ribs were pretty good for dinner, though not my best. Had it with caesar salad. Now self medicating with a glass of red before bed. Thought about a hot buttered rum...might save that idea in case I get worse. Hopefully I'll nip this damn bug in the bud and it will be over soon. So much for my thoughts about developing an invincible immune system by going primal. Evidently I've got some room for improvement.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Was up late, waiting for son #1 to get home, then we had a good adult like chat about his thoughts about university programs, and so on. He's a pretty mature kid, still has 2 more years after this one until graduation, but is already looking into programs he will like, which is cool. He's a creative type (where did that come from??) and looking at the computer gaming industry, but not sure if it's a programming, storywriting or art end of things to focus on.
                                Very cool. Make sure he has the "right" maths.
                                My Son #2 (University Son) is in his 2nd year of a Computer Science Co-op program. His goal is the computer gaming industry. He LOVES it!
                                He's also creative: D&D Dungeon Master, he co-wrote (and acted in) a high school play, played in the high school band, ya know, stuff like that..

Managed to get a bit of shopping done this evening. We're pretty much done for the boys, and hubby & I decided to do stockings only for each other this year. We'd rather save for vacations away than spending a bunch on things we don't really need. So I need a few more bits for his stocking, so not doing too badly.
                                That's great! I'm usually shopping (and wrapping) at the last possible minute.
                                I like the only stockings & vacations idea

We normally have Christmas with just the 4 of us at home (though last year was on a cruise ship in the Caribbean...highly recommended).
                                I agree. Two years ago we took the kids to Cozumel for Christmas.
                                This year my daughter said that she can't remember what she got for Christmas last year, but she will always remember the Cozumel Christmas.
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X