No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found 2 brands of gluten free beer at the local store, both quite light, a lager or pilsner style. Not bad, one was tastier than the other.

Up too late last night, not atypical for a Sunday night. Consequently not as clear and energetic today as I would like on 5ish hours of sleep.

Food:
    B: 2 jumbo double yolk eggs fried in butter and bacon fat, few slices of steak. Coffee with HWC.
    L: coffee with cream, 2 batty's blueberry butter balls.
    S: few macadamia nuts after staying late at work
    D: wild salmon, sauteed in olive oil/butter, sea salt & pepper, topped with butter & fresh dill, carrots with butter & dill, baby bok choi with a touch of sesame oil and braggs soy sauce.

Just had an apple with some really good cheddar, a lovely treat. Funny how even a tart apple can taste so sweet these days.

Today was a ruck march day, so we did about 5 km with 30 pound packs. Cool and sunny, it was pretty good but am feeling well used now. The evening was a bunch of online research for the next homework assignment, which has gone in circles and not produced anything of note. Ho hum. Hence a glass of wine. Busy day for work tomorrow, lots to get done before we're away for the rest of the week.

Need an earlier bedtime today.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM. Reason: added the nuts and pm snack
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Nothing too exciting to report, which is fine. Busy work day, and son #2 is happy with his choice and starting at the new highschool this week where his buddies are. He even went to the school soccer tryouts, the older boys know him from his elite training, and there was allegedly already a "spot" held for him once people knew he was transferring. He had fun and is looking forward to playing in a less pressure environment.

Eats:
      B: coffee with HWC
      kind of grazed between 9-11am: 3 small batty's blueberry butterballs, some macadamia nuts, turkey breast with grainy dijon, small tin of tuna in olive oil, a babybel cheese. Several cups of green and yerba mate tea.
      D: mushroom & red pepper frittata with aged cheddar, small bit of smoked sausage, healthy portion of crispy pork belly.

Not much luck engaging on the homework today, I realized the next assignment is due this week, not next like I thought. With my travel this week, I bothered to ask for an extension, and lo and behold, it is no problem. Still need to get rolling better on that. Thinking about packing, but will do that in the morning, as I am not leaving until close to noon and am not going in to work first. Hopefully it will be a productive trip, and not a waste of time.

Invited to friends' for dinner on Fri after getting home. I gave then a copy of PB a couple of weeks ago, they could really use it, and I think they've been following. They have been accommodating our food habits for months now, but still using lots of less than primal ingredients. Will be interesting to see any changes they have made. This is the couple we're going to Vegas for a week with next month, and I know she was really hoping to lose a few pounds before the trip. PB should help immensely!
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Nothing too exciting to report, which is fine. Busy work day, and son #2 is happy with his choice and starting at the new highschool this week where his buddies are. He even went to the school soccer tryouts, the older boys know him from his elite training, and there was allegedly already a "spot" held for him once people knew he was transferring. He had fun and is looking forward to playing in a less pressure environment.
        And he will rediscover his love of the game. Or he'll get so frustrated with the lower skill level of play that he'll want to go back to the elite team

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
        Eats:
        a stupid question: What is HWC?

kind of grazed between 9-11am: 3 small batty's blueberry butterballs, some macadamia nuts, turkey breast with grainy dijon, small tin of tuna in olive oil, a babybel cheese. Several cups of green and yerba mate tea.
        D: mushroom & red pepper frittata with aged cheddar, small bit of smoked sausage, healthy portion of crispy pork belly.
        Sounds wonderful.

Not much luck engaging on the homework today, I realized the next assignment is due this week, not next like I thought. With my travel this week, I bothered to ask for an extension, and lo and behold, it is no problem. Still need to get rolling better on that. Thinking about packing, but will do that in the morning, as I am not leaving until close to noon and am not going in to work first. Hopefully it will be a productive trip, and not a waste of time.

Invited to friends' for dinner on Fri after getting home. I gave then a copy of PB a couple of weeks ago, they could really use it, and I think they've been following. They have been accommodating our food habits for months now, but still using lots of less than primal ingredients. Will be interesting to see any changes they have made. This is the couple we're going to Vegas for a week with next month, and I know she was really hoping to lose a few pounds before the trip. PB should help immensely!
        Good luck on both the trip and the dinner. Hopefully they will have made some changes.

I haven't told anyone yet what I'm doing. I'm waiting for some obvious results first before I freak them out
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• been meaning to ask GS, are you still poo-less and loving it? I'm going to colour my hair again tomorrow and then I'm wondering if I have the guts to give it a go....

Comment

• Got home yesterday, the trip was worthwhile from a work point of view, and we ended up going out for two amazing meals. First night I had a salad of beet, avocado, feta & arugula in a raspberry vinegrette (excellent), main of duck breast with sauteed mushrooms and peppers. Dessert of dark chocolate mousse that was nice and not too sweet, an espresso, and shared a bottle of valpolicello with the boss, as it was her birthday. Next night was even better. Starter of smoked salmon with horseradish, grapefruit & capers, main of rack of lamb with sauteed peppers & zucchini, wilted spinach. Dessert of pumpkin cheesecake, didn't eat the crust. Did have several glasses of a fabulous amarone and one spanish coffee (with cream but not sugared rim). Who knew Thunder Bay had such great chefs?

Home midday Friday, errands for the afternoon. As we went to dinner at friends, I found out they've been following PB for the past 3 weeks since we gave them a copy of the book, and they've ordered their own PB cookbook. She's lost 11 lbs, and he's lost 7. Awesome. Dinner was grilled beef tenderloin, steamed asparagus with butter & almond slivers, carrots with butter & dill, salad with greens, avocado, mandarin orange & almonds. And dessert was the PB chocolate custard, which was suberb, topped with vanilla whipped cream and fresh berries. She did note that the ramekins required about double the cooking time from what was stated in the cookbook. Lots of wine, then a cheese plate with apples and nuts. Needless to say, today was at slow speed.

Winencandy; HWC (heavy weight cream) is what I'm calling whipping cream (35% MF). Maybe not quite accurate a term, but much nicer than the 18% MF coffee cream.

Suse; yes, I'm still 'pooless after 12 or so weeks. Some weeks I think my hair looks amazing, other weeks less so. The past couple of weeks it seems a bit heavier at the roots, I've heard about a 'second transition', so maybe that's it?? The only shampoo in the whole time has been my one trip to the salon for a trim. Need another visit soon, as it's been months since a colour touchup (longest I've gone in a few years)... and the grey bits are much more than they used to be...still here and there, not crazy, but somewhat concerning. I have found that the natural wave in my hair is really quite curly when I leave it to air dry...an interesting development. Still not quite in a good rhythm with the BS wash/ACV rinse, and sometimes I trade the BS for egg yolk instead. The potential problem with the egg is that it needs a really cool and thorough rinse, or you end up with eggy bits after drying...not so nice. Still hanging in there, and though I've had the odd doubt, I am not ready to go back to regular shampooing. Also still using the boar bristle brushing at least once daily, which adds a lot of body and shine.

Today's eats;
            L: 2 jumbo egg omelette in butter with mushroom, spinach and boursin
            S: few macadamias and almonds
            D: dry rub ribs, caesar salad.
            couple of glasses of chardonnay.

I think the upcoming week is deserving of some IF time and less dairy and wine. That, and homework and some exercise.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Attempting to kick myself in the backside to get motivated.

B: coffee with HWC, 2 eggs fried in bacon fat. A thick slice of raw milk emmenthal cheese.

Just made the pumpkin muffins from the PB cookbook...holy crap are they good. I've already eaten 3 (they are kinda small, but good grief) loaded with butter. Now I'm stuffed to the brim and I want more. Not a good idea.

I'm sitting here doing laundry, thinking about homework but not inspired to do any, looking around at a rather untidy house, and wanting a nap. ???? The sun is shining, temps a bit cool but not cold. Trying to talk myself into a long walk, which should be a no brainer...what's my problem, anyway?
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• So my butt kicking was reasonably successful, and I went out walking in the sunshine for just over an hour. Feeling overfull from the pumpkin muffins the whole time. Glad I went.

Cooked a lovely spatchcocked chicken (free range, from a local Hudderite farm) in the oven. That bird was massive, probably over 6 lbs, and I was feeling optimistic when I put it in the oven a bit frozen in the middle. As a result, it of course took far longer to cook through than expected. In the end, it was amazingly tasty. Still haven't managed to figure out how to insert images where I want them, so will attempt to add my dinner. Side was red cabbage and spinach sauteed in bacon fahttp://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gift & butter. No plated photo, as the veg was done long before the chicken. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif

Aside from the long cooking time, I was also beaten by the bird when cleaning up...I was pouring the lovely chicken fat from the roaster pan into a jar, tipped it too far and the rack fell out, toppling over the jar of newly collected fat all over the countertop and wood cutting board. Bah, humbug.

Here's some other recent food pics, that I forgot to download:

grassfed beef tenderloin with spicy stir fry veg http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif

2 salads with bacon wrapped wild caught scallops, mine with goat cheese & roasted red pepper, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif his with blue cheese, craisens and walnuts http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
                Attached Files
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Off work today, was intended to use productively for homework and so on, but I'm procrastinating nicely on that. Got the kids out the door, and headed out to peruse some organic markets. Found a few odds & ends.

A strange eating day thus far:
                  B: coffee with HWC, one pumpkin muffin with butter
                  S: few macadamia nuts & almonds
                  L: a few oz of chicken thigh with skin, and my first tin of sardines in olive oil...rather nice with grainy dijon mustard...sort of like tinned tuna or salmon...not an every day thing, but it is doable once in a while. Then I made the celeriac root soup from Saturday's blog post, which is really good, topped with a smidge of grated aged cheddar and I'm stuffed. Of course, that was 2 bowls of the stuff. Don't think I'll need a proper supper today.

Some housecleaning is also in order, and plan on making the bison chili recipe from the PB cookbook later on for tomorrow, using grassfed beef. I may not be studying, but seem to be in a flurry of domesticity. What's up with that?
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• oooh your meals look so pretty!!!!!! I like food that looks colourful! those pumpkin muffins sound good. I'm undecided about the primal cookbook, I'm wondering if it might be too americanised for me....

Comment

• Thanks Suse. As for the cookbook, I'm not sure what too americanized would be...though I can say that a lot of the recipes are beyond my norm...so maybe not??

No real dinner today, though I did cook the pot of chili for tomorrow, and then ate 8 (yes, 8) slices of bacon and 2 more pumpkin muffins to finish off the batch, making it a total of 4 for the day. Damn yummy. Can't really be too bad, it's pumpkin, lots of egg, a little coconut flour and coconut oil, plus spices. Oh, and I used less than 1/3 cup maple syrup for the dozen.

I think last week's nights out with the desserts is what got me on the strange eating thing. Maybe some sugar got me on a carb craving event. Not so bad, but I do believe a good IF is in order for tomorrow.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• You food pics very very good!

Thanks for sharing.
                        sigpic

Comment

• 216, thanks. Not quite up to the standard set by your own photos however! I should take more of these pics, I like having fun with my food!!
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Lots to catch up on at work today after being away for 4 days. Being busy always helps when fasting. Managed an 18 hour IF, with 2 cups black coffee in the morning and then a variety of cups of green, yerba mate and herbal teas.

D: Mark's bison chili with grass fed beef. I picked up some chipotle chili powder plus smoked paprika yesterday, which I used instead of the regular. Holy crap, that was far spicier than expected, I've never used either of those particular spices before. Topped with a bit of aged cheddar, avocado, scallion and creme fraiche. Awesome. The boys found it exceedingly spicy, but loved the smoky flavour. Will make again, but cut down on the heat. Cleared the hell out of my sinuses, which weren't even clogged to begin with, plus sent me into a sneezing fit for a while while eating. I roasted some cauliflower & tiny brussel sprouts with evoo, salt & pepper, put the chili on top of the cauli, but the sprouts were so caramelized and tasty that I ate them like candy right off the pan. I also had a square of 85% chocolate after dinner, was a good finish to the spicy meal.

Forgot to take a food pic, thought of that when I was nearly done.

Once again, I should be studying, but have become caught up in an episode of "the biggest loser". What a trainwreck. I don't watch much TV at all anymore, aside from food shows, I can't believe I used to like watching this crap. But, like a trainwreck, it's hard to look away...so perhaps I'll just go to bed earlyish tonight (maybe 6 hours last night of sleep) and be ready to jump back into work tomorrow. I have an assignment due that I already have an extension on due to last week's travel. Don't think I can focus enough tonight to give it any good effort. <<shh, don't tell this to son #1, who is late on submitting an essay that he's having trouble writing>>
                            Last edited by Greensprout; 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM. Reason: forgot the chocolate and the veggies
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Your food photos are awesome!
                              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse
                              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• honestly I dont know how you manage all these IF's. There is no way I could do one when at work... for some reason, being at work makes me ravenous! Usually for lollies though

I've been having terrible mid morning hunger lately, i think its that mouth hunger thing, just wanting to put something in my mouth and chew... certainly a protein shake doesnt cut the mustard.

Comment

Working...
                                X