No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely have a cold. Woke severely congested and with a sore throat. Bit of a cough, lots of sneezing, heavy and leaky eyes. Had intended to start the hot yoga today, but didn't figure I would make it very well. A rainy day, chilly.

Up reasonably early, did groceries, and had car in for service. Just an oil change, so pretty quick. Otherwise, non productive. Head is feeling fuzzy. Or is that the rum and zevia on an empty stomach? Both, actually. All I've had is a banana, small bit of local sausage, and 2 cups of bone broth with gelatin. Not particularly hungry. Had wanted to pick the remaining basil to make pesto, and get the last of the tomatoes out of the garden, but the rain didn't cooperate with that idea.

Wings are in the oven. Haven't prepped anything else, and am fine with that. If anyone else (hubby or son #2 and girlfriend) had an issue, that's not my problem.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• oh dear, hope you feel better soon. Head colds are NO fun

Comment

• The cold is not so bad today, still sneezy and runny nose, but less than yesterday.

Hot yoga didn't happen. Still not quite feeling up to it, though I was considering a later class. Turns out the last one I would have gone to was at 330, rather than 5 as I thought, so didn't work out from a time perspective either. Must do tomorrow.

A few things done today. Picked all my remaining basil and made pesto. One jar in the fridge, and another frozen. Picked remaining red roma tomatoes, they are now on a tray in the freezer for storage for future tomato sauces or something like that. Made plantain flatbread. Added a touch of salt and a tsp of honey this time, I think both add a decent bit of flavour. Forgot to put the kalua pork in the slow cooker last night, it is now nearly ready in the oven. Local fingerling potatoes steaming, going to saute cabbage in the pork juices, and have some local chanterelle mushrooms to sautee. Perhaps not a well balanced menu of things, but all will be amazingly tasty and I shall thoroughly enjoy.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Woke today again feeling congested, scratchy throat, and with puffy eyes. Not bad now, a bit sneezy and a bit of a tickle causing cough, but reasonable. My boss stayed out sick today with something similar.

I will restart the hot yoga tonight. I have to go this week before I leave, as the month pass has to be started before end of Sept. Thought I could get home in time for the 430 class, but not quite. Is one at 730 that I'm aiming for.

Dinner will be leftover bits after yoga. Had a pepperoni stick and slice of cheese when I got home, which are sitting a bit oddly, but not much I can do about that now. Apparently not such a good idea.

Eats:

black coffee
          green tea
          a banana
          bone broth with gelatin
          plantain bread with havarti and 3 bacon slices. Should have added more bacon!
          a mandarin and a plum
          chai mate tea
          pepperoni stick and slice of havarti

I opened a package of loose leaf tea that I had been looking forward to, a green mint. Was very disappointed to find that there is also jasmine in it. I truly do not like jasmine in my tea. Had to give away the whole bag. Boo.
          Last edited by Greensprout; 09-22-2014, 08:07 PM.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The return to hot yoga was great. I truly sweated buckets. Stinging my eyes, removing mascara along with it (fortunately, makeup was quite light today), running into my ear canals when in supine poses. Remembered that wearing glasses kind of sucks when doing such things. The instructor did note that the temp and humidity in the studio was rather high today. Was feeling some ache in my strained rotator cuff shoulder, but it feels okay now. A slight ache, but not pain. Hips and hamstrings feeling looser, low back feeling nice and relaxed. No hot flashes in class, or if they did occur, it was too hot to notice .

The studio also has Barre classes in a non hot room, may try and fit in a couple of those. I did go to one a long while back when they were first introducing it. Seems low intensity for those used to lifting, but there's some serious work going on that was felt for some time afterwards. Might get in another yoga tomorrow, there's a 6pm class that would work.

Tomorrow is son #2's (my "baby") 18th birthday. I told him tonight that he was born around 530 am, and kept me up all night in labour. He laughed, and apologised, hahaha. This is the kid that gave us a LOT of grief a few years back. Still not quite where I'd like him to be, but much improved, and an intelligent young man. His girlfriend baked him a Reeses PB cake. It looked nice, but no tastes for me. We'll be taking him out for dinner on Wed. He's debating between sushi and ribs.

Small dinner, after getting home close to 9 and then showering. A couple of very small potatoes, a lamb chop, bit of kalua pork. It was enough.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I did not know you could freeze basil pesto! Will try that this year.

Perhaps you need to do a float to help with all your aches and pains.

Comment

• I've read the trick to freezing pesto is to not add the parmesan. That can be added later on after thawing. Did that last summer, and it seemed quite fine.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Just wanted to let you know that I'm still following, Greensprout! Your meals amaze me....I don't know how you super moms do it all. Working, going to the gym, gardening, cooking?!?! I can barely be responsible enough for me, much less 3 or 4 other people! You rock =)
                  "Locked up inside you like the calm beneath castles is a cavern of treasures that no one has been to....let's go digging" ~ Maynard James Keenan

I am Angela, Southern Fried Primal... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106998.html

Comment

• Angela, good grief, not sure what to say! Just living, I suppose. Was always into cooking, the rest just comes out of necessity, I suppose. A few years back, I would say I was a hell of a lot busier with driving kids to activities something like 6 days a week, mostly soccer practices and games. Took up several hours daily. Regardless, I suppose it's all about setting priorities. Good food has always been high on the list. Even before primal, I cooked real food most of the time. Just preferred it. It has evolved from low fat, health whole grains nonsense to better stuff, but the concept of cooking real food prevails. As for the rest of the stuff, well, honestly, I'm rather lazy, so I do what I can. Housework suffers, as would be quickly attested to by hubby, who jumps in and does it before me much of the time, with the odd jab about it in my direction. Anyway, it's an odd transition now to having adult kids. Glad I taught them to cook early. And both having worked in the restaurant industry (son #2 still is a line cook in a higher end chain steakhouse type of place) helps that.

Early fall is giving us hot weather! A nice change from the weeks of rain. 26C today. At work, we went on a group walk to the park in lieu of coffee break, had been trying to do so for a few weeks, but it's just been too damn busy. Did 4.3 miles in an hour and a quarter. Was sunny and warm, with all the trees in lovely fall glory and leaves falling here and there.

Made a green juice this morning (spinach, cucumber, carrot, celery, apple, lime, ginger) and used my new nut milk bag to strain the pulp. It was very tasty, made a litre (about 32 oz?), and went down very nicely without picking it out of my teeth.

Eats:

black coffee
                    green juice
                    plantain bread with havarti/2 slices bacon/2 sliced hb eggs/half an avocado, a mandarin and a plum
                    half dozen macadamia nuts

Supper, well, had nibbles while cooking, but wasn't that hungry. Ended up eating close to a cup of buttered rice, and a few pork rinds and slice of gouda. Made for the boys some ground local beef and pork sauteed with a few slices bacon diced, mushrooms, and some beef bone broth, plus the rice and broccoli.

Not looking forward to 9 days of mess hall foods...some days the protein choices that are not breaded are significantly limited.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• You do get a lot done. You just don't realize it because, well, you're you
                      Hope you have a good trip and get some fun in there somewhere.
                      Safe travels.

Comment

• Aw, thanks Judy . Always interesting to hear another perspective.

Busy day. Picked up meat CSA after work, and stocked up on some other local quality meats and stuff. Son #2 chose a rib place for his birthday dinner, we had a great time out. Home to finish some laundry and pack. All done, aside from the last minute bits in the morning, taxi coming at 615. The Capt that works for me is accompanying on this trip, so good company is always nice, particularly since we're there over the weekend and will have a rental car. Either see some local sights or shopping . I think I printed out all the necessary things from work that I need for the week, but where I'm at I will have access to the intranet with work email, so not relying only on blackberry.

Had a call from son #1, who is now past the indoctrination phase of basic training, and sounding very positive. They finally will likely get to leave the base this weekend, as long as the next 2 days go well, so he's looking forward to seeing Montreal (they're about 40 minutes south). Either that, or is happy to get a good meal at a decent restaurant, a couple of beer, and see a movie. He's now 1/3 through the course.

I suppose I should be off to bed. Once I finished packing, I needed a bit of down time, so checking emails and reading some journals. I may not be posting much other than here, but I am usually reading. Trying to minimize screen time, with mixed results. And yes, this trip I am taking the laptop, but it sounds like we'll be pretty busy, so perhaps not much online time coming up. That's not a bad thing. Have packed some workout clothes, planning on doing at least a little here and there.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Have a great trip. Take pics, we travel with you that way!
                          Female 55
                          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Alarm was set for 5 am, was awakened by a text alert at 422 that my 750 am flight was cancelled . Went to airport as planned, were rescheduled on a flight at 1025, so long wait. Of course, didn't quite get back to sleep after the text. Later flight was delayed a bit, arrived Toronto after 2pm, instead of just after 11. Long wait for rental car. My Capt volunteered to do the 2 hour drive, which was longer as traffic was not cooperative. Picked up bottled water, wine & cider , and takeout sushi. Eats today were coffee, a chai latte (too sweet), an iced coffee with cream, sliced of plantain bread with cheese, then late dinner of tom yum soup and sushi (sashimi, couple pieces of California roll, have some leftover for breakfast if it feels right). Some lovely local organic cider.

Very long day, ready to hit the pillow shortly. Start tomorrow not until 9, so may be up in time to do some mobility work or stretching/yoga in my room.

We're thinking over the weekend, if we don't have much work to be doing, may drive an hour to Kingston for a day trip. Shopping, meal, and such. Weather looks promising.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                              I've read the trick to freezing pesto is to not add the parmesan. That can be added later on after thawing. Did that last summer, and it seemed quite fine.
                              This is good to know. Just planted all my basil plants in the weekend! One thing I learnt on my trip to Italy that the pesto just tastes that much better when it is prepped by hand in the mortar and pestle rather than the food processor!

Comment

• Made it home after around 130 am Fri night after a very long and busy week.

Saturday was a lot of restocking foodstuffs, as of course, the dudes had run out of most of the staples. Steak dinner was a good welcome home.

Today was a few errands, plus pulling out garden things and trimming back other plants. Cooked up some bacon ends, baked primal pumpkin muffins, dinner of local pastured grilled pork chops, roasted veg and sunchokes sauteed in duck fat. Very delicious. Nice to have the chance to cook after a week and a half of not.

Oddly enough, I managed to drop a couple of pounds while away, despite being TOM upon returning home. Overall, I had smaller portions while away, and had a small portion of either potato or rice daily, plus fruit. Perhaps portion control plus more carb good foods is what is needed. Interesting.

A busy work week ahead, and then Saturday head for a week holiday at Myrtle Beach, SC with friends. I need that.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X