No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd, and frustrating day at work. I'm slowly becoming convinced that a lot of people are idiots. Will leave it at that. Not my coworkers, but many of those higher up the food chain. Ugh.

Quick call from son #1 tonight, sounds a bit perkier than last call. He took our advice that some corners can be cut to allow for a couple more hours of sleep, which is often in short supply at basic. Seems to be bonding well with others in his platoon.

My pickles have started fermenting. Lovely.

The jellied pork hocks have not quite gelled as firm as planned. Better than the last, but not sliceable. It made a decent dinner heated (melting the gel into a nice flavourful broth) on sauteed cauli rice and crushed kale chips.

Last week I purchased a month of unlimited hot yoga from the nearby studio I tried out a while back. A promo for people who haven't been in in 12 months, only $50. Thought I'd start tonight, but had a rather decent hot flash thing going on for nearly 2 hours at the end of work, so not going to happen. I have until end of this month to start my 30 days, though I have a few trips away, so won't be home for a whole 4 weeks regardless of when I start, but that's okay. Even if I get in only a few times, it's a decent deal.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Can I just say that if you have only just now realised that people up the chain are idiots you've been having a nice life

the other day I had kale chips for the first time ever and I was pleasantly surprised!

Hmmm menopausal hot flashes... sounds like fun. I don't know if I'm in full on menopause or not. The hormone test says yes and I guess there are a few signs (ie, loss of sex drive, gaining weight, no more periods) but one thing I haven't had is hot flashes. I suppose they will happen in the height of summer or some such luck.

Comment

• I'm going through the same idiot thing at work. It's astounding to me that higher-ups are, well, higher-up. Proof positive that people rise to their level of incompetence.
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Funny about the hot yoga. I just posted in my journal about that. I'm considering trying it out...never done yoga. Being a dude, I kind of feel funny about going, but I will. I know guys do yoga, just something I have to get over.

Let me know how you do with it.

Comment

• I think I'll be leaving the hot yoga start until after my week away, so start around mid month, which will take me up to our holiday week in Myrtle Beach in Sept. Probably have another week out of town at the end of the month for work. I really liked it when I went for a while last year, or I think it was mostly the year before. No issues to go at your own pace, the instructors walked around during the class and assisted with poses where needed, and were always around at the end of class to answer questions, or offer tips. At any point you feel too hot or not up for something, you can just lie down on the mat and deep breathe until ready to resume. I brought hubby for a bring a friend for free class on Christmas Eve, he liked it, though wasn't planning on paying for classes. I found it really helped overall with flexibility and not feeling so tight in my hips/hamstrings/IT band, etc. Always very relaxed after a class too.

Hot flashes, well, yes, they've become a bit more frequent again. A lot of mornings I wake up before the alarm, not ready to get up, but because I'm raging hot in my core, and sometimes sweaty. And it sometimes hits during the day, not the sweaty part, but feeling supremely overheated. Periods are still here, but less predictable in cycle length. Current one came on time and is light, but is dragging on for many more days than it should be. Ah, the joys of peri menopause.

I made a vitamix full of green juice again this morning, took the whole nearly 2 litres to work and drank the lot in 2 batches. Pretty decent, and that plus a jar of bone broth kept me strangely satisfied today. Cucumber, celery, a carrot, a lemon, a small peach, italian parsely, spinach, ginger, and some water, of course. Dinner was a fantastic local Berkshire pork chop with steamed baby potatoes, carrots and cauliflower rice sauteed in the chop drippings. Quite filling. Considered doing the juice again tomorrow, but there's one last leftover pastured chicken leg quarter that is calling to me, so that will be lunch, along with a couple of baby potatoes.

Friday is supposed to be a gold afternoon from work (which has been postponed several times from early July), hubby is coming along. Then to my boss's place for a BBQ. And we have tickets for an outdoor concert in the park (fortunately quite near boss's home) to see Spirit of the West and Blue Rodeo. Should be fun, too bad it's the same day as the BBQ, which we'll have to leave early.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• That green juice sounds very good, although I don't have a vitamix. Maybe I can do it in a blender.

I wish I could do hot yoga, but I would have to drive pretty far and it is expensive. I get a pretty good effect from swimming and then going in the sauna - noticeably more flexible and aches and pains vanish. Ah, heat. Except when it is flashing heat. Oddly and thankfully my hot flashes have stopped, long may it last!

Comment

• I did some blended juices in my last blender, which was a very good kitchenaid one, that got ruined by one of the boys running it with the jar not properly seated, stripping the mechanism on both the jar and the base. It blended well, but still had more bits of veggie parts in the juice. The vitamix does a much better job. I'm quite impressed.

Got a decent bunch of slides ready for my presentation, just need to finish it up tomorrow. It's only a 15 min timeframe I have to fill, so should be fine. A progress report to finish as well to give to the Canadian exchange flight nurse at the USAF base I'm visiting, whom I'll be meeting with on Friday. Still lots of craziness going on with ongoing projects and other issues. And of course, all are high priority things.

The golf tomorrow has been modified to a BBQ and get together with games at the boss's house in the afternoon. So I have just the morning to get all my stuff done. Hope the weather holds out for the concert in the park, it's been so rainy of late, and more again today and this evening. Even the leaves are starting to turn already. I like fall, but feel like I missed out on the last half of summer. At least Myrtle Beach is in 5 weeks, possibly Vegas for New Years, Panama cruise in late Feb, and then Cuba with Mom in April.

Tonight I made fish tacos, which were pretty damn good, though a bit heavy on the cumin. Made with northern wild caught pike. Hubby says it's a recipe worthy of repeating. I didn't use their paleo tacos, but good quality locally made corn tortillas. Paleo Spicy Baja Soft Tacos with Lime Slaw and Avocado Cilantro Sauce | Paleo Newbie
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Good grief, is the weekend over already? Apparently so.

Got done what I needed Fri morning at work. Presentation is good to go. The afternoon at boss's home was fun, and the evening concert was great. We went for the lead band, Spirit of the West, a Vancouver based folky Scottish sort of group, who I saw in the late 80s when I was in university. Didn't stay for the whole show of Blue Rodeo, was getting chilly, and we'd already been standing in the park for 4 hours. Plus people around us were getting very drunk and loud, and the odd whiff of weed was drifting by. Not good when you're in an occupation subject to random drug testing. Rare, aside from before deployment, but zero tolerance and possible, regardless.

Errands Saturday, skipped farmers' market as I'll be gone this week and there's enough produce and meat for hubby and son #2. Steak night with the usual trimmings. Went in the hot tub with a bottle of bubbly wine, but I was just too hot. Had to perch mostly out of the water. Less than enjoyable.

Today I packed for my trip. Pickles are properly fermented, and now filling 3 one litre jars. Tasty little guys. Made mayo, and plantain bread. Picked most of my tomatoes, they are just about finished in the dehydrator. Oh, we dehydrated a bunch of hubby's hot peppers yesterday as well. Dinner was BLTs on plantain bread. Yum.

Scale was creeping down nicely this week. What I did different was being more conscious of portion sizes, and did the green juice 3 days. Interesting. Of course up a tad over the weekend, but not surprised. Aiming to be very aware of intake while I'm away this week, though choices may be limited at times. We'll see what happens when I get home.

Off very early tomorrow, cab coming at 545. Heading to St Louis with connection in Chicago, then a 30ish minute drive to the AFB in Illinois. Should be a good week. Home late on Friday, flight not in until 1020pm.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Safe travels!
                    Female 55
                    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Made it home late last night. It was a very good week, lots of good information gathered from the meetings. For several reasons, the slides for my presentation (only 15 min) weren't available, so I just rambled, and got a decent bit of positive feedback, which is always cool.

Today catching up on restocking food stuffs. Better get started on prep for steak night tonight.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Funny, I read your post about fish tacos the same day I have discovered some pretty good gluten-free tortillas. I wouldn't go so far as to call them paleo, but they are decent - rice and tapioca being the main ingredients. They are by Food for Life, the makers of the famous Ezekiel bread that I used to eat back in the day. Anyhoo, I see some tacos in my future...
                        Last edited by The Walrus; 09-13-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Funny you say that, cuz I read about york peppermint patties from you this weekend, and I bought 6 mini ones on Saturday. Had 2 that day, and one today. I've always loved minty dark chocolaty things. One year long ago, when I was on Weight Watchers, hubby was away a bit before Christmas, and I for some reason was in his dresser drawer and found a box of After 8 mints, obviously stashed for me as a stocking stuffer. I ate the whole box and replaced it before he came home a week later. Rather sad, that was.

Yesterday I made chicken bone broth, and used some for a lovely pureed squash soup. Shallot, garlic, ginger sauteed in coconut oil, add cubed squash, then broth and simmer till soft. Cinnamon and nutmeg, salt, puree. Tin of coconut milk. Garnish with scallions, cilantro and fresh bacon bits. Oh, so fine. And NomNomPaleo's pork sausage patties. Those are truly mouthgasmic. Especially with local pastured organic Berkshire pork.

Hubby's away for the next couple of days. Tonight, was late leaving work, then did a Costco run for a few essentials. Glass of wine, and a late dinner of a large bowl of the above soup and 1.5 sausage patties. I'm stuffed. Ordered a nut milk bag from amazon, along with Chris Kresser's book. The bag will be for straining green juice a la vitamix. The last batch I did was supremely pulpy, and not in a nice way. Think I threw in too much kale. And spinach. And other stuff. Not so nice to chew your juice or pick bits of it out of your teeth at work.

Feeling a bit muscularly sore, as if I've been working out, but there's been rather little on that front for a bit. Not sure what's up with that. Probably just need sleep. Am definitely hitting the sack very shortly tonight. 8 hours would be appreciated.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Very busy at work this week. As seen in the news, there's a lot of shit going on around the world. That translates into a lot of shit for us to be planning for and doing. Pushing all the ongoing projects to the back burner for the moment, and likely so for the next while. Fun times, indeed. O_o.

Haven't had to cook the last few days, plenty of bone broth, squash soup and pork sausage patties to subsist on. Made a green juice yesterday, which was much better than the last attempt. Partially strained some of the pulp with a regular sieve. Less kale used, which was a good touch.

Tonight was local pickerel fillets coated in a mix of potato starch and tapioca flour with salt and pepper after an egg wash, pan fried in butter, steamed new potatoes, roasted carrots, parsnips and cauliflower. Most delicious. Must get some more pickerel and repeat. It was very mild and tasty, and the coating worked supremely well. A squeeze of fresh lemon was the perfect finish.

Hubby's home tonight. He was on the west coast, and had the chance to spend last night with his brother and family. Seems (perhaps after hubby's last visit in the spring?) they've gone primal/paleo. Interesting indeed. She's needing some help with meal planning and recipes, has cookbooks but a bit overwhelmed at times. I'm to send her some recipes and will link blogs and such. Funny, that's one part I never had issues with, really, but then again, I was a budding foodie before primal anyway, which I know they never were. The whole family in on board, including nieces, ages 13 and 10. Cool.

Was intending to start the month of hot yoga at the beginning of the week, so far, not happened. Maybe tomorrow?? Have another work trip coming up after next week, which might be a few more days than originally planned, due to the above mentioned shit going on. Such is life. Was supposed to be Sun through Fri, might now be as soon as Thurs until very late Fri, or even maybe Sat morning. Hopefully will be able to sort out tomorrow.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Now that the weather is getting cooler, hot yoga is sounding pretty good...too far of a drive for me, though. Although I have enough options already!

I don't think I could have done this whole primal/paleo thing, and I wouldn't have been successful, had I not already been a good cook and was used to cooking my own food from scratch. I have to remember that on the few occasions when I talk with others about primal. It seems most people depend on boxes and jars and frozen things for virtually all of their cooking. I still use those things in a limited way but I can imagine that for many people it would be overwhelming to discover their entire diet was off limits. The other day I ran into a friend in the grocery store and since she asked, I pointed out that the 'heart-healthy' frozen breakfast sandwiches emblazoned with the AHA logo, low-fat, etc. contain wheat, corn, and soy as well as canola oil. We counted the ingredients - 37! She is interested in this 'clean eating' she has heard about, but the idea of stopping at the farm on the way home (really) and just cooking a couple of eggs in butter or coconut oil is a sea change for her.

Okay, I'm getting a bit off track, but oh well!

Comment

• ^
                                I completely agree about most people (or so it seems) not having cooking real food from actual real ingredients in their knowledge base. I guess we're lucky, that we grew up eating mostly real food. Even my dad cooked, and was keen on inventing things like a lot of soups and stews that he created odd names for, but were rarely repeated. Perhaps that's because both my parents grew up on very traditional farms. Whatever the reason, I'm glad that was instilled in me at a young age. Although I did use packaged and convenience things when I was a young adult first living on my own, I also at least a few times weekly cooked interesting meals from scratch, and in quantities enough to give me a few days worth of meals.

The upcoming work trip will definitely be longer than planned. Will be 9 days away instead of 5. Whatever. Dealing with shit on top of shit. But we seem to be on track with shit sorting out, at least as much as we can do. Leave Thurs, home very late the following Friday, so a lost weekend in the mix. Hubby's not impressed (in a joking way), but he'll deal with it. Just means he has to shop and cook, which I normally take care of.

Made some lovely local lamb loin chops last night. Yum indeed. Tonight will be a simple meal, leftover lamb, plus local pastured pork farmers sausage, and may saute up the last of the steamed tatos in either lard with cracklings or duck fat. Random vegetables.

Feeling like I have something coming on. Woke with gummy throat today, and have been waking with sinus congestion for the whole week, though it usually subsides after a shower. Headache, mildly runny nose, some sneezing. May be a combo of local environmental allergens (which are apparently high right now) plus perhaps exposure to a cold virus, as a lot of people seem to be under the weather at work as well. High dose Vit D and C are in the mix, plus bone broth. A lot of sleep over the weekend will no doubt help as well. Need to be on my game for the work trip, as I will be BUSY. All culminating in a day of events that I'm apparently in charge of that will have direct attention by a number of Colonels. Ah, fun. Yeah, right.

At least after that week away, it's only another week away until hubby and I join friends in Myrtle Beach for a week vacation. I need that. Didn't take summer holidays as we have this plus the late winter cruise coming up this year.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X