No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so glad you can get away for the funeral, it will be so much better for you in the long run. When my favorite uncle died, I was with the airlines in a training class and was not allowed to leave (i.e. - if you leave you are out permanently.) What a shame that was. These things are so important!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• I'm glad I'm able to be there. Am hoping the tone is more of a celebration of life sort of thing rather than a mourning of a death. Have heard through my Mom that thus far, my cousins who've been asked about delivering the eulogy have all declined. Seriously? Aside from my brother and I (who likely can't attend due to work), the other 7 grandchildren have all lived right by her all their lives. One of them should step up. Mom offered me as an option to aunties who are doing the planning. I had to say, that if asked, I would consider (because someone has to step up and do it), but I'm not offering. Really. Will do what's needed if that's the case, but it would be with a prepared speech from aunties. I'm rather put off by all that. So far no word, so perhaps someone who has seriously been closer has grown some figurative balls.

Booked the flight, after several hours of online frustrations (including a local severe thunderstorm with wavering internet access and local flooding) and several phone calls to airlines re bereavement fare options. In the end, paying regular fares, but reasonable timings with getting my airline miles with the purchase. Too bad it's nearly $700. Whatever. Life goes on for the rest of us.

Work stuff stressing me too. Sleep less than ideal. Son #1 leaving in 36 hours and not yet packed, but assures me he'll sort it out. I sure of hell won't be packing for him!

Ah, good times...
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ha, the kid is running around now packing. And planning on going out with his buddies in an hour or two. Flight leaves in 15 hours...
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Son #1 had a rough start this morning, of course buddies had a send off party involving a keg of Stella. Said he got about 4 hours of sleep...kids . Got himself sorted out, and has arrived where he needed to be. All the fun starts at 0530 tomorrow morning .

I'm packed for my trip. Mom is driving in and meeting me at the airport, we'll share a hotel room. Funeral is Monday. Flight in 12 hours.

A sale at one of my favourite shops for travel related stuff resulted in purchase today of a sundress that doubles as a skirt, and 2 blouses that will be great for upcoming holidays this year. 40% discount on quality stuff. Gotta like that.

Made pesto out of the basil explosion outside. Much better than the last batch, think I was skimpy on the olive oil last time. Served over zucchini noodles with roasted pork loin.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Travel safe.
            Female 55
            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I took charge of my grandmother's funeral, and I'm glad that I did. The eulogy and requests for others to speak went smoothly, and though sad at her loss, it didn't turn into a tragically maudlin event. I jotted down a couple of things that were humorous, and a few reasons I'd miss her. Though I loved my mother, she was too much of a drama queen to be in charge of the event.

Gran'ma gave me power of attorney when she got ill as well as the power to make her medical decisions. It feels stressful when it's happening, but in the end, it's an honor.

If you speak, I'm sure you'll do a stellar job of it.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Re "passing away". I suppose it just sounds kind of nicer. Dead seems so final. Of course, it is !! When I think about when mum died, it did indeed seem to me that she passed away. She took her last breath and I said to my sister, she's leaving us now. It was peaceful.

I must plant a lot of basil so that I can make pesto. I like to make it by hand in the mortar and pestle now. Delish!

Comment

• Home. It was good. My cousin, the police detective, delivered the eulogy, which brought back some forgotten Grannie memories. Reconnected with some cousins, all of us 9 aside from by brother were there. More on that later, it's late and I need sleep. Great to have a couple of days with Mom. Looked at an album of very old photos...saw son #2 strikingly clear in the face of my then 21 year old Dad. Can't believe I never saw that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• In early to work, left late. The current project has accelerated timelines, so no rest for the wicked. So much for workout plans during the day. CSA pickup after work, few chores, then dinner. Grass fed grilled minute steaks, steamed sweet potatoes and broccoli.

A Grannie story. As a young kid living several provinces away in the 70s, some summers Grannie would come visit. She was a born and bred farm gal, and my dad had taken on many of those sort of homesteading activities, sort of a hippie ahead of his time, despite being a military man. We were butchering geese that we had raised in the yard, and normally after the heads are off, the bodies are dunked in a vat of simmering water to soften the feathers for plucking. She had other ideas. Put the bird into a clean pillowcase, place on a board and steam iron. Yes, with an actual iron. Softens and loosens the feathers, which can then be plucked off into the pillowcase, and then are not ruined by the water and can be used for stuffing pillows, quilts, and such. Who knew? Granny apparently did.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I'm so sorry for your loss But it sounds like she lived a lovely long life - and has left the family with quite a legacy. Nothings better than a loving gran!
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Thanks, Tomi. She had a good life.

Had a phone call from son #1 at basic training, he's ridiculously fatigued, as is to be expected, and of course, during this early indoctrination phase, the learning curve is pretty much vertical. He's keeping his sense of humour. Sent a selfie of his buzzed head, which is pretty funny.

Crazy busy at work to push out deliverables for the current short timeline project, which has many eyes on at the highest levels. We accomplished our goals for today and did good work. Managed to leave pretty much on time, which was unexpected.

Likely to be let off early tomorrow, as it's a long weekend for Labour Day. That's only if we don't have to make major modifications to our return that we can't finish by midday. Keeping fingers crossed.

Eats:

black coffee
                        bone broth with gelatin
                        maybe 4 oz of grass fed minute steak, carrots, sweet potato
                        3 dates stuffed with walnuts
                        green tea
                        grass fed burger pattie topped with edam cheese, salad of garden cuke/tomato with feta, evoo, s & p.
                        a homemade pear cider
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• While away, I had the chance to reconnect with my cousins. There are 9 of us, mostly a year apart, and I'm in the middle. I don't normally bring up Primal/paleo out of the blue, but did so for 2 of them. One is a couple of years younger, who has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. She was taking about her symptoms, so brought up autoimmune paleo as something to research, as so many have had results. Another was a gal who is a year older. She has always battled weight issues, and now is probably technically morbidly obese. Has gained even more in the 3 years since her Dad died. Type 2 diabetes, on statins, asthma, joint issues, etc. She sounded like she was ready to try and take control rather than being written off on a medical disability at the age of 47. I gave her a few links, which she said she'll research. Even said she'd contact me to be her "coach" as needed. I'm okay with that. She really needs something to help her gain control or else she's likely on a very bad road with no happy ending in sight. I hope I hear from her.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• you would be a very good coach I am thinking!

Comment

• Thanks, Suse, perhaps that might be true. I did get a text from her a few days ago, she was moving the next day, hasn't looked at the blog this week due to move prep, buy says she's bookmarked it and will read once set up in her new place.

It was a good long weekend. Did get off work a couple of hours early on Friday, which is cool. Reasonably productive at home. Farmers' market run and groceries, many loads of laundry, defrosted big upright freezer and reloaded, made beef bone broth, dehydrated zucchini chips (the food processor slices were a tad thin, so more like zucchini flakes in some cases), riced a giant cauliflower, made a local pastured pork hock into studenetz (aka jellied pork hock, or headcheese made from the hock rather than head...gelatin not quite as firm as it should be, but much better than my last attempt and quite tasty).

Today pulled out the ancient Vitamix and made a green juice. Cucumber, celery, spinach, carrot, lime, ginger, italian parsley. Drank with the pulp, rather than straining. It was quite decent, but could have used more ginger. Drank the whole 3 litres over a few hours. Strangely filling. Had a few moments of feeling like needing something more, but it passed. Might be something to incorporate here and there.

A 4.2 mile walk this afternoon, first in perhaps a month. Seriously, I have missed this. Got to the park 20 minutes in, and saw nasty skies. I wasn't concerned about getting wet, but was worried about my iphone that I was listening to podcasts on. Ran a mile midway to speed things up. A bit of a sprinkle, but home about 15 min before the skies opened up with thunder, downpour, and a bit of tiny hail. Whew!

Hubby has started redoing son #1's bedroom. Even sold on kijiji his captain's bed today, which hubby made about 17 years ago. Patching walls, restaining trim around windows, replacing blinds, repainting, carpet cleaning, and new bigger bed to come. It will be a good guest room when the kid is not here.

Speaking of son #1, he's now into week 2 of basic training. Supremely fatigued, but hanging in. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I blocked out the worst memories of that experience. I was 2 years younger than the kid (just past 17th birthday) when I did basic. I remind the kid that if 17 year old Mom made it through, so can he. We get texts every few days in the evening, and have had a couple of phone calls. Their access to electronics is quite limited, which is a good thing.

Not much looking forward to work this week. Lots to do, there's that big project still ongoing, and I need to prepare a presentation and an evaluation for the following week, when I'm off to some meetings in Illinois at a base there. Will be rather busy.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Oh, forgot that I also have a gallon crock of cucumbers fermenting for dill pickles. Hopefully in a week, (before I have my work trip), they'll be done. Put them on 2 days ago, fermentation seems to be starting.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X