Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
    I had a ton of crazy and frequently disturbing dreams last night. Woke because of them numerous times between 330 and 600. Like watching one of those disturbing movies, but being in it at the same time. What the hell was that all about?
    That happened to me when I tried to binge watch Game of Thrones. Hey, I have read all of the books! But viewing really disturbed me, I had three nights of very upsetting dreams and so it will go unwatched.

Once again I wish I could come over for dinner! And it sounds like the company would be as good as the food!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• A new toy! (The dehydrator.) Fun stuff. I once found an old deep fryer at a garage sale, and for the next two weeks, I deep fried everything. Ex-squared used to kid that he was worried about the cats. Keep us up to date on what you make.

A night of disturbing dreams is tough. I had a doctor prescribe Prozac many years ago. Horrifying dreams to the point of waking up screaming. I flushed the Prozac.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Weird dreams...have continued a bit, but not so disturbing as the one night. Not viewing related, as the last week, TV watching has been limited to Food Network, the Amazing Race Canada, and the latter part of "Terms of Endearment" last night. And no vivid fiction reading of late either.

Prozac. I was on that for 6 or 8 months, some twenty five years or so ago, post relationship crash and burn (cheating bastard, yes, we were engaged rather young at the end of university). It was good for me, sparked energy, hitting the gym, appetite reduction and a good bit of weight loss with that combination. Ditched it as soon as I could, and was feeling better, but it was a good thing at the time. Funny, after that whole experience, hubby of now 22+ years was my "rebound" dude.

Speaking of TV, one of my favourite ever novel series is going to be on a Showtime series in late Aug. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Classed as historical romantic fiction, but, oh, so much more. When I was deployed in Afghanistan, I brought all the volumes (paperback) with me, which was maybe 6 at that time. I reread, as did all the other gals there with me, we passed the books back and forth like gold. Of course, by end of tour, they all had to be trashed, as the intense sun had melted all the binding glue and they pretty much fell apart. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to seeing if Showtime can do a good job of translating the amazing story into film. The books are highly recommended, if anyone is interested. A true escape. A series I've reread several times.

The past 2 days at work I've managed to power through a bunch of outstanding items, and am very pleased with the productivity, which has been waning of late. Didn't get to the gym today or walking as I was on a roll. All good.

Today's eats:

black coffee
        bone broth with gelatin
        L: lamb kabob (bull/horse cock), tzatziki, cucumber, radish, strawberries, 3 tiny larabar squares
        mate tea
        D: lamb neck chops, steamed sweet potato
        wine...

Bottled kombucha tonight. Loving the last batch with fresh garden herbs, so did them all with basil/mint/lemon balm.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
          after catching up on your journal I'm ashamed to say I need to be much more adventurous in the kitchen. Maybe if my meals were more interesting I'd have less wonderings to find things to satisfy the yearnings?

How on earth do you manage 4 or more miles in an hour? You must nearly jog the entire time??? I can do a comfortable 2.5 - 3 mile hour. That's my max. Any tips?

Your men sound like a lot of fun!
          I do get into cooking ruts here and there, but I do crave variety. Hubby and I were talking last night about how he appreciates how I research and seek out new foods/dishes as it's my "thing", whereas if it were just him, he'd be repeating the same meals over and over, and he'd mostly be content with that. I spend a lot of my online time looking at food related things. Years ago, pre primal, I was into collecting cookbooks and trying out new stuff. It really does keep things more interesting, makes me happy, and is both fun and relaxing all at the same time. We nearly always have something leftover for a nibble, snack or meal. I very rarely cook only the amount required for the current meal.

4 miles an hour? That's my walking pace, if it's a workout related and not just leisure type walk. 15 min per mile pace, or a bit better. If you have a smartphone, there's a free app I have, RunKeeper. It uses GPS and tracks route, pace, distance, and more. When I walk, I pretty much always have that app on and concurrently listen to podcasts of paleo/primal/nutrition/health related stuff. Sometimes my mind wanders and I realize I have missed half the content, but it keeps me motivated, regardless.

My guys are mostly entertaining, when not annoying, loud, smelly, and otherwise obnoxious .
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
            How on earth do you manage 4 or more miles in an hour? You must nearly jog the entire time??? I can do a comfortable 2.5 - 3 mile hour. That's my max. Any tips?
            Tomi, I can walk a 4+ mph. For a long time I was stuck at 3.8 mph because it WAS comfortable. What helped me, since I use a treadmill, was to increase by .1 and try to maintain that increase longer over time. Then every so often increasing another .1 and using the last increase as my fallback/comfortable level.

I also start lower (for me 3.3) and add .1 each minute until I reach a level that is doable but not completely comfortable/easy. And for me, anything above 4.5, is more comfortable jogging at a higher speed (5.5-6.0) than walking at 4.5

Comment

• Marcadav,

you mentioned spanx a while back. I'm thinking of getting one for the dress I have in mind for the wedding next weekend. Do they really work as well as described? And are they tolerable from a comfort point of view?? There's a small shop at the hair salon I use that has spanx in stock. Am thinking the one that goes from the bra band line to the thighs...
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I have a Spanx slip as well as a "knock-off" pair of "bike shorts". Both give a compressed, smoother look to the dresses I have tried them with. The actual Spanx slip was more uncomfortable, restrictive in regards to movement, so I went with the bike shorts under both dresses.

I got the shorts at Target and they were a lot cheaper than the Spanx slip. I got the Spanx slip, on sale, at Kohl's.

Comment

• I've always questioned that rebound thing (don't end up with your rebound person; he/she is 'just' a rebound) because I know more people who have had long term relationships with their 'rebound' than anything else.

I wear dresses a lot. FWIW, I often wear compression shorts that reach from under bra line to lower thigh. I can't stand really tight ones, but they do make a nicer line. When I don't wear those I usually wear a conventional slip to stop the clings. Although in the summer, all bets are off! I find the actual Spanx brand to be too constrictive, although it is VERY effective. Be sure to try on before you buy - the sizes are a mere suggestion. Or make sure you can exchange it.
                  Last edited by The Walrus; 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM.
                  My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• I'm slow. When I walked in a hilly town, I did 5 miles in 90 minutes which is an 18 min mile. There was a really steep hill right at the midpoint of my walk that I'm sure brought up the average, but I loved it as it occurred about half way into my walk, which meant that from then to home was all downhill or flat.

Here, it's flat, but the heat keeps me slow. And the cracks in the sidewalks and roads. Ack. It took me years to learn to walk not looking down; then I had to relearn looking down because of the disrepair of the walkways. FML sometimes.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      I have a Spanx slip as well as a "knock-off" pair of "bike shorts". Both give a compressed, smoother look to the dresses I have tried them with. The actual Spanx slip was more uncomfortable, restrictive in regards to movement, so I went with the bike shorts under both dresses.

I got the shorts at Target and they were a lot cheaper than the Spanx slip. I got the Spanx slip, on sale, at Kohl's.
                      I use bike shorts. They're comfy, easy to get off, and do the job. Can't have my thighs starting a fire lol. Spanx are no joke. I have a pair of the panty hose and it goes up to my breasts. It isn't uncomfortable it's just taking them off to use the bathroom is a pain. Yea there's a hole for that in it but I feel weird not wearing panties underneath lol. That's just me.

Comment

• Going to have to do a bit of hunting the next few days to see what works. Mainly, for this dress, I'm looking for smoothing through the middle, but am in for a cheaper option if that works. And of course, it will likely be rather warm next Saturday for the big day, so don't want to end up a sweaty, overheated, hotflashing mess! I'd rather find something that can work than find a new dress, as I rather like the one I have in mind.

Thanks for the comments and advice, all
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Go easy on calories a couple days before and day of wedding. You'll stay a lot cooler from inside out.
                          I love Spanx. Actually met the young woman who invented it. She's a billionaire now!

Comment

• No foundation undergarment shopping today, but it's a long weekend so I have time.

Last night's meal was simple, grilled smokies, sauerkraut and cucumber. Had some local heritage pork smoked sausages from this week's protein CSA that were amazing.

After last month's strangeness with a 44 day menstrual cycle, this month was bang on 28 days as per usual. Methinks I'm into the time of who the hell knows when the next one is coming. Makes things rather difficult to plan for. At least it won't be with me for the road trip and wedding, so that's a good thing.

Farmers' market was super crowded this morning. Came home with eggs, beets, rhubarb, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans and gluten free cupcakes . Heheheh, tonight's dessert post grilled striploin steaks, baked potatoes, grilled asparagus and mushrooms. Hungry already. Then again, so far I've just had coffee, a pepperoni stick and hard cider...

Virgin trial of the dehydrator had kale chips processing currently. Rubbed with ghee and dusted with sea salt. I have the grass fed beef round marinating, aim to throw that in tomorrow. The mainade (courtesy of Urban Forager) tasted fabulous. Can't wait! Will make a superb road snack for Friday's 12 hour drive to the wedding, that is, if I can keep hubby and more importantly, son #1 from gobbling the lot. May have to find a hiding place, which may be tricky, since they all know I'm making it this weekend. Perhaps threats of death or dismemberment might be in order...
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Oh, these little cuties were at the farmers' market today. Aren't they adorable??
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Watched a movie last night, "The Best Amazing Marigold Hotel". A great story and worth viewing. I don't think I'd appreciate it as much if I were 25, rather than approaching 50. Hubby enjoyed it too.

The kale chips are okay, not amazing, but okay. Might use them up tossing them into stuff rather than by themselves.

Jerky is dehydrating, the house smells heavenly. I had a couple of extra empty shelves in the machine, so threw in some sliced ham as well, just to see what happens. Ham jerky!

Threw some grass fed beef shortribs and a couple of pieces of oxtail in the pressure cooker with diced onion/carrot/celery, garlic, fresh rosemary, sage & thyme, salt & pepper, along with beef bone broth and red wine. Not sure what I'm trying to make, exactly, but it smells great and should taste lovely.

Might mix up a batch of paleo bread today as well.

Son #1 has gone back to his friend's cabin and likely will be there until Wednesday (his last long weekend before joining up and starting basic training at the end of the month), son #2 and girlfriend have headed to the beach for the day. Nice and quiet around the house...at least for now, until hubby decides to blast his music, which will no doubt be happening at some point.

Dinner today will be whatever comes out of the pressure cooker, a variety of other leftover meat things, and some fresh veggie salad items, perhaps with paleo flatbread, if I get to it. Happy that tomorrow is the holiday, so another day to enjoy off of work.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X