No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a great walk as part of "unit PT" this morning. We went to and around the park, didn't have my phone with tracking app, but I think around 5 miles brisk pace.

Physio this afternoon. Shoulder continues to progress, but still not fully recovered. Some advice on progression with exercise, and I've been "graduated" from physio unless things stop progressing. That's something, at least.

Dinner was local pastured pork patties a la NomNomPaleo, with fresh herbs from the garden. Used a grated apple instead of maple syrup as a suggested alternate, and still great. Kids had used up all the maple syrup, so that wasn't an option. Also a Practical Paleo recipe for smoky chicken wings, as there was a pack of local free range wings in last week's CSA. I thought they were great, as did son #1 (#2 is at work). Hubby thought they were tough and rubbery, and couldn't even eat them all. Couldn't even comment on the flavour, as he was put off by the texture. I have no idea what his issue is. Ah well. He loved the pork patties.

I finally took the plunge and ordered a dehydrator. An Excalibur 9 tray version off Amazon. Can't wait to try it out. One of my local meat vendors sells pre sliced "jerky" meat (grass fed, of course). Must pick some of that up soon. I already have a list of things I plan to throw into the dehydrator. Fun times ahead.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hooray, Amazon says the dehydrator has shipped.

A long day sitting at a desk at work. Hips feeling tight, need to foam roll before turning in.

Hubby and I had a date night, aka out for dinner. I think the last time we went out for a good meal was when we were in Galveston in Feb. I had gift cards to the Keg steakhouse from Christmas, and it's only one km walk from home. Beautiful sunny evening, so the timing was right. A martini, bacon wrapped scallops, tenderloin steak with baked potato, mushrooms and veg, creme brulee for dessert, along with a shared bottle of carmeniere and a coffee. Lovely evening. Ran into a couple, one of whom was son #2's assistant soccer coach for years, and whom we haven't seen since the kid quit playing. We may get together with them sometime soon, which would be cool.

Tomorrow is farmers' market and groceries, and touching up the roots at the hair salon in the afternoon. I've left that a tad too long. Was told to return in 6 weeks for a touchup, and I think it's been 12... the silver strands are coming in a bit much.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Dinner's ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Wowzah!
          My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• It's been a garden and kitchen kind of day...

Oregano and Italian parsley

Basil, Thai basil & tarragon

Severely trimmed my tomatoes of useless sucker branches

Found this

And picked this

My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Made rhubarb strawberry sauce from the last of the local berries

And pesto

Fried up bacon ends into lardons, cleaned the fridge veggie drawer. Chicken thighs are in the oven, new baby potatoes and new green beans ready to steam.

Oh, and I made "chocolate chip cookie dough" larabars: cashews, salt, dates, vanilla and organic dark chocolate chips.

Whew!

My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• You were busy!
                Female 55
                Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• The larabars. Missing squares due to quality control. Verdict? Yum.

My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I can't decide what looks better. Guess I would just have to eat everything!
                    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Care package, please?
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                        Care package, please?
                        You're welcome to come over anytime .

Did a 4.9 mile walk in 1 hr 12 min at lunch to the park. It was sunny and warm, not too hot, not windy, nearly perfect. Unfortunately, likely due to skipping some mobility work and stretching afterwards and returning to my desk for the afternoon has resulted in a good deal of stiffness in the hips and knees. The left knee (which is the "good" one, at least the one without known meniscus surgery and tear) is actually kind of sore tonight.

Fasted (aside from some broth and coffee) until after the walk. Wasn't planned that way, but seemed to feel right.

Today's eats:

black coffee
                        turkey bone broth with added gelatin
                        2 pork patties on a small steamed new potato, a few bacon bits and some fresh mozzarella
                        bit of greek yogurt with berry sauce
                        cup of blueberries
                        couple of tiny larabar bites
                        D: big salad with sliced sirloin. Blended fresh garden herbs into the dressing: avocado oil/acv/white wine vinegar/balsamic/garlic/shallot/dijon/thyme/rosemary/oregano/italian parsley. Very tasty.

Tasted the basil mint kombucha today, it turned out great. Even hubby liked it, and took the other half of my bottle.

Started reading through the bodyweight program I mentioned a bit ago as a review. Lots of solid stuff there. Will likely look at starting in a couple of weeks, as we have a 4 day road trip for a family wedding the weekend after next, which involves a 12 hour driving day on either end. Quick turnaround, but that's okay.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Workout not done today, got caught in stuff at work, and not in the mood after leaving.

Made a cool sort of ground meat kebab from NomNomPaleo tonight. She used beef, I used mostly lamb, with some grassfed beef. Kabob koobideh. Dusted with ground sumac after grilling, which I've never used before, but found at my fave bulk food shop, and is a lovely addition. I grilled them on my new toy of a BBQ grilling sheet, this one: Grill Accessories - Grill Mat - BBQ Mat | COOKINA Barbecue. I used it recently for the fish too, worked splendidly. Unfortunately, I inadvertently kind of grabbed one of the metal skewers with left thumb and middle finger, and have a couple of tiny blisters for my clumsiness. Oops.

Picked and ate my first garden cucumber, it was as fabulous as I expected. The rest are coming, but still miniscule.

Today's eats:

black coffee
                          B: white fish with pesto and 2 soft boiled eggs (resulted in pesto fish burps for the first hour of work )
                          bone broth with gelatin
                          L: 2 chicken thighs, small steamed new potato, a few green beans, cherries, 2 tiny larabar bites
                          thai basil kombucha. Very nice. Not as good as the basil mint, but still tasty.
                          D: cucumber, one lamb kabob with tzatziki.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I had a ton of crazy and frequently disturbing dreams last night. Woke because of them numerous times between 330 and 600. Like watching one of those disturbing movies, but being in it at the same time. What the hell was that all about?

Not feeling as rested as I should be after 7.5 hours of sleep.

On a better note, it's CSA pickup day: grass fed beef patties, grass fed beef cheddar smokies with local aged cheddar, pork shoulder chops, and more beef bacon. Yay. And Amazon and UPS say my Excalibur dehydrator will be delivered today .
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Woo, received my dehydrator! Doing some reading and plan to try it out over the weekend, which is a 3 day weekend in Canada, hooray.

Got a good few things accomplished at work, which is a good feeling. Needed a break midday, so did a 4 mile walk in an hour in the sun. Interesting podcast while walking, one of Robb Wolf's recent ones, interviewing one of his blog's nutrition consultants about her battle with eating disorders.

No cooking today, lots of leftovers. Ha, I must admit last night's ground lamb kabobs, though delicious, looked decidedly odd. I had not noticed the part in the recipe that the meat should be chilled for 4-24 hours after mixing before shaping. So I did what I could, and they honestly did look like grilled dicks. Son #1 sent a photo on snapchat with the quote "well boys, looks like it's horse penis for dinner..." . I had a good laugh at that. Tonight, hubby, when reminded it's leftover night, said, "well, bull cock it is".

Today's eats:

black coffee
                              bone broth
                              L: steak, small steamed baby potato, cherries, 3 small larabar squares.
                              green tea
                              D: caprese salad, cucumbers, half a lamb kabob, aka "horse cock", pepperoni stick.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• after catching up on your journal I'm ashamed to say I need to be much more adventurous in the kitchen. Maybe if my meals were more interesting I'd have less wonderings to find things to satisfy the yearnings?

How on earth do you manage 4 or more miles in an hour? You must nearly jog the entire time??? I can do a comfortable 2.5 - 3 mile hour. That's my max. Any tips?

Your men sound like a lot of fun!
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Working...
                                X