No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No feet in the mix today, aside from a touch of a blister after a 5.8 mile walk/run (2.25 miles slow running) midday.

Made a few new things in the kitchen. First up, coconut milk/strawberries/gelatin frozen pops. Not bad, but I used a touch too much gelatin and the texture is a bit weird. Tasty, regardless. Next up, a traditional eastern european dish from childhood, studenetz, aka jellied pork hocks. Essentially shredded braised meat with garlic in a jelly. Meat jello. And yummy. When I said studenetz, hubby says with alarm "what, stewed nuts?" like I was attempting to serve him testicles or something nasty like. . Yeah. It's still setting up in the fridge, will report back how it turns out, but I'm quite looking forward to it.

Dinner was salad with romaine, cucumber, radish, carrot, zucchini, steak slices, blue cheese and bacon (cuz, well, bacon) topped with a balsamic dressing. Excellent. Kaluah pork is in the slow cooker for tomorrow.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• 4.5 mile walk at lunch, got it in before the next thunderstorm moved through. The park was rather lovely today. 67 minutes, so a decent pace.

Feeling rather bloated and heavy, but TOM is around 5 days past when my tracker says it's due. Hormonal changes not doubt. Woke a lot last night, often in a sweat, not so pleasant. Haven't had that going in a while. Still taking the black cohosh regularly, so rarely get the hot flashes during the day.

Eats:

black coffee
      2 hb eggs
      steak slices, 2 small baked potatoes & mushrooms, bone broth. Cherries
      a few cashews (maybe 12), half a pepperoni stick. kombucha
      kalua pork with a salad. Didn't finish all the meat on my plate, just was full. I had eaten some samples while prepping out of the slow cooker.
      glass of wine
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Stewed nuts - hehehe

Are you near the flooding?
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
          The new shoes and bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have those shoes!
          Actually I have 2 pairs. The cream and a black pair.
          Black for winter and cream for summer.
          I wear them almost every day.
          Except when I have to wear boots.
          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Not totally MIA, just trying (with some moderate success) to spend less time online. Been reading, just not posting.

Finished a 4 day weekend which consisted of rain, thunderstorms, high winds, more rain, bit of sun, much MOAR rain, local flooding, lots of trees down around the city, more rain, and finished up with sun last night in time for the return for a 3 day work week. My yard is super saturated.

Had thoughts of getting inside stuff done, but less happened than thought about. Soggy trip to farmers' market. Pedicure with fabulous sapphire blue toes. A variety of eats made: dried plantain chips (sort of crunchy, but not quite crisp, not a bad first attempt); elk sirloin steaks with chimichurri sauce (amazeballs); nomnompaleo's crispy pork belly (skin didn't crisp as much as I would have liked, but very tasty, and well, pork belly), lamb bone broth turned into a creamy potato soup (rave reviews from my men); nomnompaleo's kale citrus salad (worth repeating).

LOTS of hot flashes the past few days, plus the return of night sweats. Ugh. And yes, TOM is now 15 days late...I'm about 99.5% certain this is all hormone related. Hubby was snipped 15 years ago, and though he never did go back in with his sample cup, we've never had a potential scare. I did have 2 cycles of 40 days long post my endometrial biopsy last fall, so it's not totally unprecidented. A tad concerning, but not overly so, I'm quite sure this is just the whole perimenopausal thing. A number of these days, I've felt it was imminent, but no such luck. I shall remain patient and optimistic. Had to respond to the General's queries on an issue during the morning brief today, right in the middle of a hot flash. Not so much fun. At least I wasn't sweating profusely.

As a result (I suppose) of the above, I'm feeling heavy and bloated. Even my uniform pants felt snugger than usual today. Yeah, I also had more to drink than advisable over the entire weekend, but food, if anything, was probably less than usual.
            Feeling less hungry the past while.

On a better note, I booked a holiday with my Mom for a week in Cuba for late March/early April. She goes with several other older ladies for 2 weeks, and is thrilled that I'll be joining this year like some of the other daughters do. Should be fun.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• A while back when seeing the doc for a recheck on my shoulder, I mentioned that I'm having occasional numbness in my hands and paresthesias in the forearms, and frequently wake up with the hands numb. He sent me for nerve conduction studies, which happened last week, and whaddya know? Mild carpal tunnel syndrome both sides, worse on the left (which is where I feel it more). How very strange. See the doc again in a few weeks to probably get splints to wear at night, fun. Not.

Shoulder MRI is finally next week. Physio recheck today is showing slow but steady progress with strength and mobility. She is giving me the go ahead to start some very light lifting, but no overhead pressing type movements. I should probably let the crossfit gym to just go ahead and cancel my membership, I've been on hold since the broken hand in late January. They emailed a few weeks back to see if I'm ready to come back, though I haven't replied yet. According to physio, it will be definitely some time before I can consider that type of lifting again, and I'm thinking if I need to scale things that much, what's the point of paying out all that monthly fee? Not like I can't get back to eventual heavy lifting on my own, but have been thinking for a while now that as much as I was liking the crossfit, it may not be a good fit for me, at least this year. Maybe later on, or maybe not. Need to get myself back motivated, which is one thing crossfit was very good at.

More hot flashes today. And still waiting...
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The waiting ended on the weekend. Unfortunately, the bloating has not. Been like that for a couple of weeks, or around since when the cycle was supposed to start. That, plus the fact that I've been grabbing bits of food here and there when I'm not necessarily hungry, have led to some items of clothing fitting more snug. Including my uniform dress pants, which I have to wear tomorrow. It will be a less than comfortable day . Hormones and bloat are definitely not the sole cause.

I decided it's time for an alcohol free week, or at least until the weekend. Hubby agreed to do the same. So tonight is kombucha with club soda. And I do have a collection of loose leaf teas that are good iced.

Did get out at lunch for 5 miles, 3 walking and 2 slow running. It felt good.

Dinner was a salad with grilled heritage breed (Tamworth) local pastured pork chops from the first protein CSA box last week and guacamole. Very tasty. Though the portion was quite reasonable, I still feel rather full. Think this makes for a good opportunity to fast tomorrow until dinner. I used to do that a couple of times a week (24 hr IF) and it worked well. Doesn't feel as easy if there is alcohol consumed the night before, so this makes it a good choice for tomorrow.

Going to aim for the gym after work and start a bit of lifting again, working with the physiotherapist's recommendations for the shoulder rehab.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Slept poorly for the first few hours last night. Was sort of in and out, but though I was dreaming, I could feel the way I was lying in bed, and here and there hear son #1 exclaiming loudly while gaming. And kids going up and down the stairs. More disturbing dreaming, which also woke me a few times. Eventually I slept solidly the rest of the night, waking reasonably rested after about 8 hours in bed.

The pants were snug today, but not as bad as when I tried them on after dinner last night. Not as uncomfortable as it had predicted, which was good. Went to the gym for a short workout, bunch of air and goblet squats with a kettlebell, lat pulldowns with light weight as directed, and a number of other very light dumbell shoulder exercises. Felt not bad. And a warmup on the elliptical to start.

Managed an easy fast until home. A couple tiny slices of pork chop, a kombucha with club soda, then dinner of a chicken breast marinated in avocado oil, roasted sweet potatoes and a small green salad. Cherries. Still hungry a bit later (was a rather smallish meal), so topped off with a pepperoni stick and slice of smoked gouda. All good now.

The skin on my face lately has become rather dry and flaky. Did a bit of online searching, and came up with a brown sugar/coconut oil scrub, and have on a mask of mashed avocado/plain yogurt/honey/evoo. Supposed to be very hydrating. I sure hope so.

Another alcohol free night. Hoping for a better sleep without the interruptions and weird vivid dreaming. Vivid is fine, disturbing is not.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Wanting a kettlebell - any suggestions?
                    Female 55
                    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                      Wanting a kettlebell - any suggestions?
                      I'm far from having a lot of experience with them, but I'd suggest starting with maybe an 18 lb bell, though you'll very soon be ready for a 25 lb, and then a 35. Of course that's for swings and holding with 2 hands for squats, lunges, and such. You'd need lighter if wanting to use single handed for other sorts of exercises. Lots of info on youtube.

A much better sleep, close to 8 hours, and didn't even get up to pee until hubby's alarm (he was up early today) went off. Aiming for as good tonight. Still drink free, though hubby chose to have one after mowing the lawn, I was tempted, but stuck to my plan. I have to be up extra early, to be at the hospital halfway across town for 7am for my shoulder MRI. Will probably come home to change afterwards, before heading to work.

Walking at lunch, 4.6 miles. I managed to throw in 6x30 second sprints across a soft, grassy field at the midway point. Felt good, haven't done that in ages. Of course, I'm feeling it now, particularly in the quads, which tells me that I was doing it right with lots of effort. Have to work at ensuring I do sprint on a regular basis.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Arrived even earlier than needed for my MRI, wanted to make sure traffic and parking wasn't an issue. Here goes a long time motionless in a noisy tube...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Home after MRI to make breakfast and change before heading into work. Grass fed ground beef/pork with mushrooms, arugula and 2 runny eggs. Delish.

Tonight I put my first beef tongue (who has been hanging around the freezer for a rather long time being intimidating) with JoanieL's brine recommendation. We'll see what happens. Tossed my kombucha batch, as I left it too long and it turned very vinaigry. New batch on to brew, which shouldn't take too long with the current warm house temperatures.

Not inspired to cook, and there are lots of odds and ends of leftovers. Hubby seemed rather disappointed. He's a big boy, he'll get over it. He is having a couple of drinks again tonight, it was once again tempting, but I am sticking to my guns and abstaining. Will probably have something tomorrow night, but will have met my aim of none this week before the weekend.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I hope the MRI went smoothly. When do you get the results? Did they play music through headphones while you're in the tube?

I had one of my shoulder about 6 weeks ago and it was very painful.. Focusing on, and asking for louder, music helped me deal with the pain and unrelenting muscle spasms.

Comment

• I get the results when I see my regular doc next Friday. And to discuss the results of the nerve conduction test as well. No music or headphones, just foam earplugs, which somewhat dull the loud noises of the machine. I found the position uncomfortable, but not painful. Had I had this done months ago, before the physio and when it felt at it's worst, I expect it would have been painful to hold like that for half an hour. It took 18 week from when the referral went in until the scan. Pretty typical for Canada, sometimes its weeks longer. And that is with scanners running 6 or 7 days a week until 11pm.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yesterday I did a 4.6 mile walk/run at lunch, was rather hot, so only 1.5 miles slow running, but it was good. Dinner was a modified pho, quite tasty.

With the no alcohol and cutting back on foods, eating till satisfied but not more than that, I saw a drop of 3.6 lbs from Monday till Friday morning. Decent. Not bloated anymore. Of course, I did have some drinks last night, and woke with a mild headache, but it soon passed.

Was reading about kombucha some more. I had tossed my last batch as it was very sour as I'd left it too long. I read that instead of starting over, one can just pour off some of it, and replace with fresh sweetened tea and then have a new brew sooner than starting over. Must remember that for next time.

Farmers' market today: eggs, beets, lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes. Groceries. In the process of the usual weekend steak grilled dinner.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X