No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great weather day today. Went out for a 4.7 mile walk to the park at lunch. Tried some slow jogging, but after about 30 seconds, realized the legs were still far too stiff for it to feel right. So just walking, listening to Balanced Bites podcasts. Totally enjoyable in 27C temps and sun.

Ventured out to get bedding plants tonight. Home with tomatoes (tiny tims and roma), oregano, basil, thai basil, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, italian parlsey, rosemary, cucumbers. And the major find at my local market (where my meat CSA will be coming from) was LOCAL MOREL MUSHROOMS!!! They're only out for a short time, and the last 2 years I managed to miss getting my hands on some. A ridiculous $25 per pound, and I got about 3/4 of a pound, but totally worthy of a splurge once or twice a year. Will do them up in a cream sauce with shallots in a day or so. I remember years ago at home my mom and I used to go pick them in the forest behind our house in the middle of nowhere in northern BC, we'd go out for an hour or so and each come back with a 4L bucket full. I had no idea how hard they are to get most places.

Dinner was grass fed beef roast slow cooked, with half a potato and carrots in a bunch of the broth. Totally tasty.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Where did the day go?

Hot today, I love it. A 3.2 mile slow walk at lunch, legs and hips still very stiff, slow seemed to be what felt right. Any movement is good thing, so I'm okay with that. Enjoyed the neighbourhood and sunshine. My shins are actually very stiff as well, might have overdone the 5K run last weekend all on pavement in VFFs.

After work hubby and I decided to tackle some yard stuff. He picked up some soil, compost and such, I went and found cilantro and stevia plants. He got some peppers and surprised me by getting kolhrabi plants as well. I love the stuff, and pick it up here and there, but never figured he liked it enough to buy some plants. You never know.

Prepped my planter boxes, and into the dirt went my tomatoes, basils, tarragon, cilantro, italian parsley and oregano. The rest goes into the ground, and we will get the planting beds prepped and planted over the weekend. Once the food stuffs are in, I'll look for some annual flowers to fill in the rest.

After all that and a bit of time to finally chill, I found myself making a fritatta at 845 pm. Personally, I'm not that hungry, but it seems others need a meal. I had grabbed a pepperoni stick, and nibbled some bacon crumbles while I prepped. Will probably save my fritatta for tomorrow, will make a superb lunch. Diced bacon, ground beef, mushrooms, red bell pepper, spinach, feta. It looks very nice.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ah, you're going to have a wonderful garden there, Greensprout! What a great variety of herbs and vegetables you have.
        I think I'm going to p/u a cilantro plant this coming weekend...love that stuff.

I have been thinking of making a fritatta for the longest time now and yours sounds delicious.
        “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”

― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Comment

• Thanks, bullymama . The fritatta made a superb lunch. A great way to use up all those leftover bits of meat and veg at the end of the week before restocking. The boys like it too.

Today at work got super busy, ended up in the office for an extra 45 min, when I had planned on not working out at lunch and leaving a bit early. Stopped for a few needed food bits on the way home, didn't arrive until nearly 6. Thought we'd work more on the yard tonight, but we have all weekend, so a break for today. Ready to start grilled sirloins and all the usual accompaniments for dinner. Yay for steak night.

We had a huge payday today. Well, not just pay. 2 years ago they stopped our severance pay bonus, but up to that date, people serving at that date were grandfathered. You could choose to defer it to retirement or take payment in lieu of severance now (or when they got it processed). I had mine paid out when I "released" from the reserves and rejoined the regular force (active duty) right at the time it was going on. Hubby just got his payout today. We're talking some tens of thousands for 28 years of service. Needless to say, as of tonight, we have no credit card balance and the line of credit is very happy as well. By the end of this year, we will be free of debts aside from the mortgage and in a very good position. And we'll be keeping it that way. Made more sense to take the payout now and pay stuff off rather than wait another 7 years to collect later. And income tax was already deducted, so won't take a hit there as hubby's income bracket is already in a high bracket so it won't push us higher. It's a good feeling.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• My huge morels will be in a cream sauce on top of grilled chicken breasts for tonight. Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The weekend was pretty darn good. Yesterday hit the farmers' market, didn't bring home much, but found a fab treat of a gluten free red velvet cupcake. Not too sweet, texture great, taste excellent, and even the frosting was light and lovely. Planted all of my herbs and veggies, all looks lovely. Weather nearly 30C both days.

The morels made an amazing meal. Sauteed shallot and garlic in butter, added the mushrooms, chicken stock, reduced. Salt, pepper and thyme. More reducing, a cup of heavy cream, touch more butter. Sauce perfection. Served on grilled chicken breast with a bit of rice and steamed broccoli.

Today was some errand stuff, finally picked up some Dr Bronner's soap for the first time. Pool time for my first dip of the season. 6.5 pounds of kalua pork done via slow cooker. I found some of the Hawaiian sea salt in San Diego...it really does make the dish. Pork on a bed of shredded romaine, fresh salsa, guacamole. Plenty left so no cooking tomorrow. I did download the Paleo bread recipe, thought I'd make it today, but it was just too fine to spend much time in the kitchen.

After pooltime, I doffed the bikini, and was just in my tie died shift sort of dress that I had picked up from a street vendor in Rio. Was in the backyard watering my plants, and with the wind blowing and nothing underneath (heheheh) it felt rather freeing. However, later when it was time to put out the garbage out front, the wind was gusting a bit more, so it was more appropriate to don some undies, so at least I wouldn't end up with a gust displaying more than would be appropriate to all the neighbours. Note to self...pick up more sundresses.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Part of my afternoon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Back to work for a rainy day. Stuff going on that I couldn't get away to the gym, nor right after work.

Tried out the Paleo bread recipe for the first time, made it as a flatbread. Oh my. HELLO. It could be dangerous if not tightly controlled! Yet very filling, so lots left. Hubby just tried a bit, and I told the boys hands off as they have plenty of regular bread type things around. I can see this making a fantastic pizza crust, must try that another day.

Bit of steak and baked potato with a few mushrooms and asparagus for lunch.
                  Kalua pork with pico de gallo and a dab of guacamole on paleo flatbread. Heavenly.

I'd love to eat more of that dinner but I'm quite full from a not large serving 2 hours ago. Am currently envisioning many different things to do with that flatbread. Must use it judiciously.

Made a run to Costco for a couple of things, as I was low on avocado oil and they have it inexpensively (it's only 5 min from home, so easy to get in and get out without a cart full). I found some lovely looking frozen wild cod and albacore tuna fillets for a good price. Will pair nicely with salads over the hot days for a quick meal.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Used a piece of the paleo flatbread topped with dijon, deli turkey and havarti for breakfast. Totally delicious.o

Out for a walk at lunch, 4.6 miles. Funny, I had just left the base and hubby came up behind me. We walked together for 45 min, then he split off for some running in the park while I walked back. It was rather nice. I showed him a new route through some different parks.

Making plans to attend a cousin's wedding where my mom lives in Alberta in Aug. Son #1 has decided to come, and son #2 with girlfriend is seriously considering. The boys don't really know my side of the family, it's rather large and we've never really lived close. They're interested in getting to know their relatives, which is kind of nice. My mom will be totally thrilled if both boys come. I booked I,hotel room for hubby and I, mom is working on places for the boys to stay with family. Lots of people coming into town, so space has to be coordinated. Both boys are fine with whatever is sorted out, as long as there's a bed.

Dinner was a whole wild salmon stuffed with onion, fennel, leeks, celery, lemon and dill, cooked on the BBQ. It was rather lovely on a bed of baby kale and spinach.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Today's paleo flatbread found its way into a sort of sammie filled with dijon, steak slices and havarti. What an awesome lunch.

Had a 5 mile walk after work. Nice in the sun, got in shortly before the dark clouds moved in and some intermittent rain started which came on and off all evening. Watered my new plantings, as it likely won't be enough for them.

I may be spending a week with my Mom in Cuba in April. She's going for the 3rd, and likely last time with a group of other older ladies for 2 weeks, and some of the daughters join them for a week. Hasn't been possible for me in the past, but could work for one week next year. Might be fun, with a bunch of Babas and no hubby . They've been known to bring a male blow up doll and bring him to all their events around the resort . Looking into the details.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Didn't get out for a walk today, things at work got rather hectic, and I was sort of glued to the blackberry after I got home ofr a few hours. Watered my garden, did 2 loads of laundry, and prepped dinner.

A bit of an odd lunch: tin of wild salmon, diced dill pickles, a small diced avocado, chives, lime juice and a spoonful of black olive tapenade. Strangely delicious, and accompanied by a bit of paleo flatbread.

Dinner was perfectly grilled chicken breasts with paleo BBQ sauce on a salad of romaine, cucumber, tomato, red onion, shredded carrot with a balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.

Last week I avoided coffee in the mornings (aside from one day when I went to the hospital education day, only one cup that morning). Had mate tea instead. It was a nice change, but it seems I'm back on coffee this week. Must remember to mix it up like that once in a while. I didn't feel any different without the coffee, and I do really like it in the mornings, but felt a change was in order.

I've been tuning into the news tonight, last night there were 3 RCMP officers shot and killed and 2 others wounded in Moncton, New Brunswick. The suspect is still at large, and part of that small city is still on lockdown. Crazy. And a shooting at a university in Seattle today as well. What is with these people??? I'm both sad and angry.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hey GS! Yeah, the shooting of the 3 officers was all over our news yesterday. Very sad. Hard to understand what goes on with people to bring them to such violence.

Are you back to Cross-fit after your injury? I'm trying to get the gumption up to try it in July. Based on your pool picture, looks like you're doing all the right things!

Comment

• At least the shooter was caught last night, and is in custody, with no further shootings.

A very busy day today. No chance to get out for a workout, and didn't leave work until 630, after starting at 8am. Then another hour and a half on blackberry from home. Averted a near crisis, made adjustments, and all seems to be sorted out now. Still on call, expect some work over the weekend, but likely all can be done on bb and not have to go into the office.

Of course, getting home after 7 and with work stuff still on the go, dinner was not really in the cards. Had planned on fish and a salad. Hubby grilled some smokies. I had one with grainy dijon, and a pepperoni stick. A piece of gouda is coming shortly.

Hoping for a non work interrupted farmers' market trip in the morning, followed by grocery restock.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I think everyone is glad that the suspect in Moncton was caught. Crazy stuff. I know that a lot of us Canadians get pretty self righteous thinking that those sorts of things don't happen up here, but they certainly do. Per capita I imagine it's not any better or worse really. There was just that stabbing incident in Calgary recently where 5 kids got killed. Ugh, not something that needs to be talked about anymore right now I suppose.

Paleo BBQ sauce -- I've really wanted to try and make one, but haven't looked into any recipes. Any thoughts on a good staple barbecue sauce that I can make?

Cheers,
                              - Jim
                              Please feel free to follow my journal, unless you're seeing this link IN my journal... That's quite the paradox! I promise to keep my content up to date, honest, and hopefully mildly entertaining.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107788.html

Comment

• There's one on Nom Nom Paleo, and I believe Mark just shared the link on FB---smashed steak skewers with cherry bbq sauce.
                                And coincidentally, I made my own today but it's not strictly paleo...it had a can of diet coke in it. But one thing I've learned over the years, is not to get too crazy about every little thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X