No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired today. I should be packing for the trip, but will likely leave it until tomorrow. Just casual stuff and toiletries, so won't take long. Our flight is stupid early, departing at 0530, but that gets us into Halifax by 1pm, which is ideal as friends picking us up live nearly 2 hours down the coast. Should be able to snooze on the flight.

Made burgers tonight, as it was lovely and melting outside, and I tried out oopsie rolls for the first time. Tasted okay, but texture was rather both squishy and crumbly. Not unpleasantly so, but kind of melted into or fell apart around the pattie. I may try them another time, but might have to tweak a few things. Regardless, I got quite stuffed from one burger with cheddar, red onion and tomato on the rolls.

I may go in early to sick parade tomorrow to get my shoulder looked at. I tweaked it lifting months ago, like maybe Aug initially. Through the fall, it was bothersome at times when lifting, and okay other times. Was still on and off, so in Dec, I made a doc appt, but had to wait until late Jan to get in with my preferred doc. Of course, I had to cancel shortly before that as it turned out to be the week I was supposed to go to Arizona for work. No spaces available until late March, but they said they would put me on the "call back" list and check with the doc about fitting me in. Well, then I broke my hand, and I figured that with time off the gym it would be a good rest and should get better. No such luck. It's actually feeling worse, sore with most movements, very decreased range of motion, and interfering with sleep. I wake up sore, and have had to adjust my preferred sleeping positions. And I never did get that call back, probably got lost in the pile, and never did get rebooked either. So I may just go in and see whatever doc is on duty. It's actually bothering me worse than the hand, and definitely more than the knee with the torn cartilage. I seem to be an orthopedic disaster this year. Sigh. Have been taking naprosyn fairly regularly, both for the hand and the shoulder, though more for the shoulder of late. Not so great to use on a regular basis, though at least it's the enteric coated stuff and not bothering my stomach. It's all very annoying.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ended up being able to see my regular doc, as he was the duty guy today. He's convinced there's some rotator cuff issues. More physio for that, see him again in about 6 weeks, plus MRI requisition sent. That should take maybe 4 months to get done, if all goes well. And a script for another antiinflammatory, celebrex, since the naprosyn isn't particularly effective. Haven't tried the new stuff yet, but have it filled.

All packed, and sort of ready for 4 am taxi...ugh. True to form, hubby was packed last night. Had a text from the friends we're seeing, apparently the neighbours are out fishing tonight for the lobsters that we'll have for tomorrow's dinner. How awesome is that?? Last time we were there we had lobster perhaps 5 hours post catch...most amazingly tasty.

The boys are all sorted out, and should be fine. Lots of foods on hand, plus plenty more to cook if so inclined.

It's cold again. After yesterday's +4C and mountains of slush, it froze well overnight, tonight will be -22C. Huge piles of ice with nasty ruts through all the streets. Happy to be leaving that all behind for a few day. Spring, where are you???
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• At the airport, not quite sure I'm awake yet...having coffee in the lounge. 4 hours of sleep is not much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Have a great trip and enjoy those lobsters!
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I'm baaaaaack.

Lobsters were delish. And so was the haddock, and the scallops, and the shrimp, and the mussels, the salmon, and the steak.

A great extended weekend. Of course, flight home there was delayed nearly 2 hours in Toronto due to a storm, and last night, we had to circle the city for about an hour as a storm here had closed the runways for a while. Finally, the pilot came on saying "well, they've had a chance to clear up so I think we can give it a go..." lol, not very confidence inspiring, but all worked out. A good bit of fresh blowing snow once again.

Not as enthused to return to work today, particularly as hubby took today off. Ah well. He cleaned the driveway, did laundry, and picked up grocery essentials. Still waiting on approvals for the Brazil trip, but at least I got my Visa for my passport. We're supposedly leaving at the end of next week. Hope it still works out.

Hand still sore, but getting more usable and stronger from just basic activities. Shoulder still sore, finally decided to start the celebrex today, decided I didn't want to try out a new med for the first time while away, even though I've never had med allergies. I think this one might be more helpful than naproxen or ibuprofen.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Forgot to mention, hubby proclaimed today he's W30 starting tomorrow. Interesting. He's been saying he plans to tighten up diet since Christmas break, but has been including extras a lot. I'm not planning on W30 for me, but am happy to support his efforts. It will probably help me keep more strict as well.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Here's the lovely fellows who accompanied Thursday night's steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Sorry to hear the shoulder is still paining you.

The food sounds and looks delicious. Welcome back, and glad you had fun.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Lobstahs! Cool on the Whole30, I'm sure you will benefit also. So great the two of you support each other on this!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Holy crap, found out this morning that the Brazil work trip is a go . Will be leaving at then end of next week and spending a week in Rio and Brasilia! Of course, it's work, but there will be a bit of leisure time somewhere in there. Travelling with 3 guys, a doc, a medic, and an aeromedical tech. Rather excited!

Other travel plans, we're booking a cruise for next Feb with our friends we saw last week. 11 day Panama canal cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. Been perusing cruise forums tonight. It's the same ship we sailed on in the Med in 2008.

Made 2 batches of bone broth from pork chop remnants in the pressure cooker tonight. I need to bottle it all up before I go to bed. Rather tasty from the seasonings on the bones, and there was a decent amount of meaty bits too, from man and boys who are afraid of non lean bits. All the better for broth.

The celebrex seems to be helping with the shoulder pain. The constant dull ache that had become present is significantly less, but still aggravated a lot with use. Bah. Hopefully it will continue to improve. Hand is getting better daily at this point.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Have leisure travel envy! I know Brazil is work, but that sure beats Boston (yes we had fun, but warm versus cold is my preference). Enjoy and post pics.

Tell hubby, I said good luck with Whole30. I know he can do it.
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Yeah, pretty excited about Brazil. The schedule we've been given has the last 2 days in Rio labelled as "cultural events", which sounds great! Hopefully including churrascaria! Been doing a bit of research on local foods, it seems staples include tapioca, cassava, manioc, rice and other resistant starches. I'm sure I can make that work.

Hubby has managed his W30 fine, on day 2 now. I had one of those days of wanting to Eat All The Things. The only bad item was some low quality chocolate at work, but it seems like the volume was a lot. It wasn't really that bad. Just seemed that way.

Eats:

black coffee
                          bone broth with gelatin & 2 egg yolks
                          L: 3 HB eggs, some ham, pickles, a banana
                          cheap chocolate
                          mate tea
                          most of a pepperoni stick, 10 pecan halves, slice of havarti
                          D: handful of spinach, half a sweet potato, ground beef/pork (maybe 2/3 cup), kimchi

feeling quite full now.

Hand physio visit tomorrow. Supposed to be testing max strength, then start working on building strength back up. Next week is the physio shoulder assessment.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Every time I read your journal I remind myself to get some mate, which I was enjoying very much and then just stopped buying for some reason. Okay, it is going on the list this time!

I am seriously jealous that you are going to RIO!!!!! The home of Brazilian cheese bread! Samba! Huge piles of roasted meats! I wish I was going....grumble...grumble....

Comment

• I have Rio envy. Please keep a photo log of your adventures in food while you're down there, so we can live vicariously through you!
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Bookings for Brazil are made. Have been browsing websites for food tips, as well as packing. Am getting a bit nervous about the packing! Of course, there will be the uniforms for the official stuff during the day, when it's hot as hell. After that, not sure if there's any official functions going on that would require more appropriate attire or if casual but nice stuff (ie casual shorts/skirts/sundress etc) is all I need. Good grief. I have some stuff, but plan to hit a few strategic shops this weekend for a few pieces. I want to pack as light as possible, within reason. Apparently while there, purchasing Haviana flip flops is a must, and under $10 USD a pair. And bathing suits should be such a size that fits into a toothbrush holder, if one doesn't want to look like a complete tourist . Um, right. Bikini I can do, despite not being at my best, but no butt floss on the beach for me! Besides, given the nature of the trip, I'm really not expecting a bunch of beach time anyway. If there was another woman on the trip, we could bounce ideas, but I'm on my own here. My guy companions are one in his 50s, one late 40s, and one mid 20s. Not much help for wardrobe ideas.

Physiotherapist was pleased with hand progress. Now onto strengthening exercises with putty. I'll see her again next week for an assessment on the shoulder, though we did chat a bit about that today.

Chipped a bunch of ice off the end of the driveway one handedly, while hubby shoveled it away. Melting has been going on, but another snowstorm is coming tonight with high winds for tomorrow, so the morning commute will likely be very nasty. Spring??? Not so much here. I suspect we will still have snow remaining where it has been piled up when May arrives at this rate.

Eats:

black coffee
                                bone broth with gelatin, egg yolks and a torn sheet of nori
                                mate tea
                                banana egg muffins (1 banana, 1 egg, almond butter, cocoa, walnuts)
                                couple of pecan halves, 2 slices deli turkey
                                bacon & eggs, small slice of ham
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X