No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All packed. Flight at 10 am. Son #1 is still hard asleep, not sure if we'll see him before morning.

Carnitas turned out great, as usual. Haven't had dinner yet, but my samplings confirmed lovely porky goodness.

Hubby has recommended a place to eat in Ottawa near my hotel where I'm told to have the duck breast. Hopefully will get there. I never to Ottawa, and he's there regularly. Also pointed out a wine bar. Will be meeting up with others, so hopefully I can influence the group.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Oh I'm envious! I love Ottawa! Hope you have a good time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post

Hubby has recommended a place to eat in Ottawa near my hotel where I'm told to have the duck breast. Hopefully will get there. I never to Ottawa, and he's there regularly. Also pointed out a wine bar. Will be meeting up with others, so hopefully I can influence the group.
        Can't say that I've ever had duck. Quail, yes. All manner of seafood (don't care for fish much now due to an unfortunate mahi mahi food poisoning incident!). Snails both Italian (preferred) and French. All manner of offal, but no duck.......
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Duck is amazing. I've even cooked duck breast a few times, with a port reduction. You'll have to try. They had duck wings where I had dinner, but they were flour dusted, so I had to pass.

Got to Ottawa mid afternoon. Wandered about the downtown market. Dinner was at a tapas style plates wine bar. Malbec, arugula beef carpaccio salad, curried lambchops. Fresh cooked truffle potato chips served pre meal. Small plates, all excellent. Early meetings tomorrow, meeting up with colleagues for breakfast and a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Okay, now I'm hungry!
            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Duck is divine! Confit is the only way I've had it, but it's so easy to do. And so dreadfully decadently delicious. I keep telling myself to do a whole duck and I have no excuses now since a local grocery store carries duck from a local farm that advertises the "coolest little duck farm in the south, producing the prettiest pigs around." Their video showing duck herding on youtube is hilarious.

Do I need a passport now to go to Canada?
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I think it's the getting back into the U.S.A. part that you need a passport for. I know Canadians need a passport to go to America now. DH made duck at Christmas because I could only find a smallish turkey and was worried we wouldn't have enough meat. The duck disappeared faster than the turkey lol! Yummy!

Comment

• Had a very good work week away, though food selection went severely downhill when I left Ottawa and went to the Trenton base and mess hall food. Thurs we went to the mess for drinks after work and I made it to the food mess near the end of the meal service. Steak was all gone, they subbed breaded fried shrimp and some other crap. The chicken casserole was breaded. Took the veg option, a stuffed portobello, which looked dubious. Took a bite of what looked like a slice of feta on top, only to discover it was a grainy chunk of tofu. Spat out the lot, left, and ordered a gluten free pizza to my room. That was tasty, but not what I really wanted, devoured the lot as I was very hungry by that time. Got home very late Fri night, after 1 am.

I've been taking off the hand splint more often when home. A lot more ROM in the hand, but it's still pretty darn sore when I use it. Tomorrow is the 6 week post injury appt with the plastic surgeon, and physio Wed morning. It is healing, but has a long way to go to return to pre injury strength and function. Yesterday for the first time since the break I was able to reasonably comfortably use it to wash my hair. That is progress for sure. I took off the splint for most of the day at work when just sitting at my desk on the computer. I can finally keyboard with all fingers again. I leave the splint on when out of the house otherwise just for protection at this point. And stopped wearing it at night when I got home on Friday.

Hubby is away this week in Yellowknife. Even colder than here, and it's still damn cold. -29C this morning. Ugh. I'm so over winter it's not funny.

Feeling a little blah tonight. Period is starting, so perhaps not surprising. Am all by myself, son #1 is having an evening uni midterm exam, and #2 is with friends. I'm doing laundry and catching up on journals. Should eat soon. Lots of leftover pork chops, potato, roast beef and other stuff in the fridge, so I'll likely not have to cook for a few days.

We have another little trip next Wed, taking our last few days leave for an extended long weekend to visit our friends in Nova Scotia. Should be great, as always. The work Brazil trip is still pending approval, but hopefully will be a go for the end of the month.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Sorry to hear the mess hall was so bad. I'm jealous you can order gluten free pizza, though!
                    Female 55

Comment

• Can't you get gluten free pizza delivery in Texas? Many places have it here now, usually rice/tapioca flour crust. I've only had it from 2 places, one was better that the other.

Spent my afternoon in a waiting room. The surgeon's clinic states on their appt confirmation letter that she often is 2 hours behind schedule. I was there for 3. I get it, and understand, but good grief, that was a long time. And just to see the surgeon for 5 min for her to be impressed by my ROM, functionally all is good. Plan is to do the hand physio, work on more ROM and strengthen. Wear the splint when doing activities that could use protection and a reminder to be careful, like gym and groceries. Otherwise, discharged unless I have problems. About what I expected.

Thought I'd do a Costco trip after work, but after the long wait at the clinic, I'm not interested. Probably won't even bother cooking. Still roast beef and other stuff in the fridge, and the boys seem to be doing fine.

Son #2 had grad photos today, of course, his one dress shirt is now too small. Borrowed a shirt from son #1, and I found a tie of hubby's to match. So I was ironing at 10 pm last night. Fun. Not. At least that's done.

Period is going strong, along with semi medicated cramps. Last month was thankfully light, and this morning was like a crime scene in the shower. Ewww... sorry about the visual. Seriously, though, WTF? Whatever. Someday, this too shall pass.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I can get pre-made gluten free crusts, but have to top and bake. We had some tonight for dinner as I was not up to cooking. Still looking for the one we like best. No delivery that I know of.
                        Female 55

Comment

• Physio yesterday was also pleased with the ROM. Aim for the next 2 weeks is work on specific ROM, no working on strength yet. In 2 weeks, will test max strength and improve on that.

Kept the splint off most of yesterday and today. Feeling sore. Iced last night, probably should today, but am going to bed instead.

We have more snow. Really? Yes, between yesterday afternoon (with an over hour drive home for 12km) and more overnight we have around 10cm, and another 5-7cm coming tonight. I've pressured the boys into having to help with shoveling, I basically said that with hubby away, if mom has to be out shoveling with a broken hand, things are seriously wrong. This morning, as I one handedly moved some snow from the front of the garage, son #2, just out of bed, came out to shovel me a path out of the driveway. Surprisingly nice.

I need to get back into the gym. Might not happen until we get home from our Nova Scotia trip. The longer I'm away,the harder it is to get back...
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• A decent weekend. Went grocery shopping solo for the first time since injury, managed okay. Wore the splint, and had to watch how I lifted the bins and large stuff.

Went for a pedicure for the first time in far too long this afternoon. Frankly, my feet have suffered since the injury. Couldn't even decently use nail clippers with the left hand. Now all is smooth with lovely dark wine red nails.

Decent foods. Last night steak night, so leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Tonight was simple but oh so tasty seafood curry: bag of frozen asian vegetables, frozen raw tiny scallops, small cooked frozen shrimp, can of coconut milk, green curry paste, smattering of ground ginger, curry powder, chinese 5 spice, garlic, and a squeeze of sriracha, served over cauliflower rice and a touch of calrose rice. Yum.

Cleaned the oven today, long overdue. It's been on the to do list for a while, and moved up when I turned on the oven to bake potatoes yesterday and it started smoking. Hmm. The house got a tad smoky while it self cleaned, but now all is good. Really must remember to do that regularly...housekeeping has never been by strong suit.

Chatted by text with our Nova Scotia friends today, looking forward to the trip this week. Sounds like lots of great fresh seafood awaits, awesome. And she's primal, so all is great on the meal front.

Hubby is blasting music upstairs at the moment. Driving me crazy. Someday he needs his own closed space so I don't have to be subjected to his eclectic ever changing music mix. Good grief. I truly think he has no idea how it permeates the entire house, despite the many times I've told him just that.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                              Hubby is blasting music upstairs at the moment. Driving me crazy. Someday he needs his own closed space so I don't have to be subjected to his eclectic ever changing music mix. Good grief. I truly think he has no idea how it permeates the entire house, despite the many times I've told him just that.
                              And this is why I gave hubby headphones for his computer at Christmas.
                              Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                                And this is why I gave hubby headphones for his computer at Christmas.
                                Oh, he has good headphones, which he uses when watching stuff or gaming. But he also has fancy speakers that he likes to use, as apparently headphones can't compare to that. Uh, yeah, whatever, dude. Usually it's in small doses, but some days it is less tolerable than others. His 'office' space is in a loft type area above the front open area above the foyer, so any noise from there fills the remainder of the house.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X