No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I totally think I should get some VFF's, just so I can have some raised eyebrows.

Comment

• Yes, Suse, go for it! You'll love them. Definitely the most comfortable pair of shoes I own, but not for consumption everywhere, at least, not yet...

Yesterday:
      B: coffee with HWC, lamb & eggs (leftover chop with 3 scrambled eggs in butter, spinach, onion, cream cheese)
      L: another coffee with HWC. Brief nap behind closed office door for 30 min hehehe.
      D: italian sausage in organic marinara sauce over sauteed spinach & broccoli. 2 rum & diet coke.
      S: bit of cheese (found kerrygold dubliner irish cheese at costco, it is sooo good, we don't get kerrygold butter here, so I couldn't resist). Few pork rinds.

Today I had to go in for a work fall fair thing, manning a booth for the community health office. Brought a bunch of health pamphlets, but couldn't bring myself to bring the Canada food guide ones due to the recommendation for 6-12 servings of whole grains daily. Good grief. Kill me now.
      B: coffee with HWC. "Breakfast" at the event consisted of fruit and pastries, needless to say, I abstained.
      L: IF. They served hot dogs with baked potato chips and individual ice cream cups. Had a black coffee and water.
      S: Hungry, cold and headachy after getting home. Had a bit of kerrygold cheese, spoonful of almond butter and some pecans. And bacon crumbles.
      D: grilled rib steak (nice!!), mushrooms, grilled baby bok choi. Few glasses of cabernet. Serving of my 90% choc/creamed coconut/almond butter/almond slices/coconut shredded thing for dessert.

I've done some calculations, and come to the conclusion that I've been following some of the PB guidelines a bit too liberally. Let's leave out the too frequent indiscretions about wine for the moment. My epiphany: I'm eating too much fat. Sad. I did a couple of days of fitday, and found that I'm well over 150 g of fat. I should be more like around 100g. Of course, not enough sleep regularly, plus severely lacking in the play department are up there, but methinks the fat issue is a major reason for my plateau. Time to get serious...
      Last edited by Greensprout; 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• oooh serious. hmmm will watch with interest. but yes you've probably nailed it... sleep (lack of) and possibly those wines.... remember that the booze has to be worked off first before you'll start burning the fat. I'm considering getting a little serious myself, but I am in a real sugar haze at the moment.

Comment

• Not bad today. More errands to do, plus many hours of studying for a course I'm doing this week that I need to do an online precourse test tomorrow. Plenty of brain use, though not particularly stimulating.

Eats:
          B: coffee with cream, 3 oz steak plus 2 eggs in a bit of butter
          L: none, as breakfast was late. Did have one square of 86% choc as a little snack for no particular reason, other than son #1 opened the package. And a spoonful of macadamia nut butter, damn that evil stuff. Was studying at the time, and not even hungry. That stuff, yummy as it is, has per tbsp 220 cal and 23g of fat. Duh. Need to cut that stuff out.
          D: SOG BBQ chicken, had 2 thighs plus one wing. Garlic broccoli with a hint of butter topped with a modified ratatouille (eggplant, onion, garlic, tomato, fresh thyme & basil, cooked with some coconut oil), very yummy.

No particular workout this weekend at all, although yesterdays work thing had me on my feet all day. Did at least get 9 hours of sleep last night, certainly not for going to bed early, but more like sleeping in. Sundays are good for that if there's no early kid soccer game.

Serious, I said yesterday. Today doesn't look particularly serious, but Monday looks promising. Hubby says today he's planning to aim for 100% primal this week, he keeps claiming the 80/20, when I don't see him close to that recently! Lots of fruit, yogurt, chocolate and the occasional beer, on top of wine. I'll work at keeping him on track, which may help me in the process.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yesterday:
            B: coffee with cream, 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with some chrorizo. Finally got some unrefined coconut oil that is flavourless...and it really is! Good for cooking stuff where I don't want the coconut flavour.
            L: one coffee with HWC
            S: 1 chicken thigh, then out to kids soccer
            D: late. BAS plus some slices of crispy pork belly. One glass of chardonnay (couldn't leave a nearly empty bottle in the fridge all week, and there will be no more until the weekend. Plus one small slice of cheddar)

Otherwise an uneventful Monday. Didn't make any exercise time either.

Decided to IF today, went for a full 19+ hours. Threw a grassfed beef roast in the slowcooker before work, and sat on my backside in a classroom all day on a course. And then I kicked myself into doing a LHT workout (PBF) at the end of hour 19 fasted. I hadn't done that for 2 weeks, though there was one day of a mostly bodyweight circuit for PT last week. Did pretty good, still all the same levels as last time and did the full amount of reps for both sets. For whatever reason, after completing a fasted workout, I always feel like I accomplished more than if I was fed.

Todays eats:
            B: IF, black coffee
            L: IF
            D: grass fed roast beef au jus, carrots roasted in the meat juices, last of the ratatouille.
            S: needed something more after dinner, so had 1 cup of mixed frozen berries with 1/2 cup coconut milk, a couple of walnut pieces and 1 square of shaved 86% chocolate. Filled me right up. I think that will be it for the night.

Back in the classroom tomorrow to complete a course, another day of sitting on my ass. I did find that fasting helped me stay quite awake and alert for the day. Might even try fasting again tomorrow until dinner, but will see if I'm hungry in the morning or not. No leftovers from the roast (2 1/2 lb roast doesn't save much when besides me there is one man and 2 hungry teen boys eating!), so I have a pastured nitrite free ham that I'll toss into the slow cooker for tomorrow.
            Last edited by Greensprout; 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM. Reason: forgot about yesterday
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Seriously, I could not sit in a class to do a course all day without food. For starters my stomach would rumble louder than the christchurch earthquake!

Comment

• Actually, I only got kind of hungry a couple of times, which passed pretty quickly. Had 2 black coffees plus plenty of water through the day. And no rumbles!
                Over the lunch hour, I avoided going back to my office to check emails and instead sat on a comfy sofa in the student lounge and pulled out my e-reader to read some more GCBC. Started that a while ago, but haven't made much time for reading lately. Too much computer in the evening.

Now off to bed.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• So another full day of sitting in class. Good thing that's over! Yet I have 6 hours of another training session sitting alas, once again on my ass tomorrow. Sigh.

I wasn't too hungry this morning, so decided to go for another IF. Kind of like where some people are doing the IF with an eating window daily. Won't do it all the time, as I would miss the cream in my coffee too much to never have it in the morning.

B: black coffee
                  D: ended 20 hr fast with pastured ham (kind of salty), broccoli & baby bok choi stir fried in coconut oil with 5 spice powder and a splash of fish sauce. Filled to the brim.

I did end up home a tad early, as we finished up the exam quickly. Took advantage of a 30 min power nap (gads, it was nice, and I wished for longer) and then went out for an hour walk in the brisk fall air. Nice to be out crunching the falling leaves under my VFFs. Needed to loosen up the legs after all that sitting, plus am a tad tight from the squats yesterday.

Now, to start an online course for work that lasts until mid December, of which I am a week late in starting. It will be interesting, but I really have other things I'd rather be spending my time on now. I just have to view it as one of those necessary evils for a good paycheque.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I don't know why I'm so tired today. I did get nearly 7 hours of sleep last night, but strange and somewhat disturbing dreams woke me several times. The training I had to go to was many long hours with a screen, which didn't help. Then some other pain in the ass stuff at work that is stressing me. And to top it off, I had what is really a rather trivial argument with one of my kids, which started to turn into an unnecessary power struggle, so I backed off, and then proceeded to feel even more like crap. Have had a persistant headache since 745 am, too. And it's raining, cool and windy. A walk would have probably been a good thing, but it's not going to happen tonight.

Eats:
                    B: coffee with cream, 3 egg omelette with ham, spinach and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil.
                    D: primal taco style ground beef on top of lettuce & spinach, topped with sauteed green pepper/onion/mushrooms and a spoonful of sour cream.

The breakfast kept me going until just late afternoon, when I then felt ravenous, but no snacks available nor did I have the time, so waited until I had supper made and then felt too stuffed after eating.

Too much screen time today, so won't linger here for long tonight (maybe that's a good thing), nor will I get any studying done, as that's all online too. Maybe I'll just go to bed.

The one positive note is that I finally am just back into ketosis again. And I have been keeping the total intake lower this past few days due to the IF'ing. Maybe that's also contributing to the feelings of fatigue.

Hoping for a better Friday...and then there's a wine & cheese thing we're going to with friends on Saturday night. Not primal, but worth my 20% for this week.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Okay, so another pretty much crap day at work, but overall, not as bad as yesterday. Numerous thoughts of the desire to gouge my eyes out with a dull teaspoon during the day, but managed to stifle the idea, probably for my own good. Had vague hopes of getting in a LHT workout today, but getting home from work at 5, then immediately leaving for kid soccer game and home at nearly 8, then starting cooking dinner for the family left that as a non happening sort of thing. The headache of the past 2 days persisted today, likely more a stress thing than any other reason, but subsided at the soccer pitch. Probably the shivering in the brisk temperatures had something to do with that. Another well played game by son #2, who seems to still not be speaking to me in much more than monosyllabic grunts (funny, like his Dad when in a mood) since our dispute yesterday. <sigh> The worst part about his moodiness for me is that he is so much like me in my youth that it's almost scary...I think I recall my mother saying something along the lines of "just you wait until you have kids of your own..." Never thought that would come back to kick me in the ass. <bigger sigh> The little dude turns 14 next week.

Eats:
                      B: coffee with cream. Smoothie (first in ages) with strawberry, blueberry, celery, spinach, protein powder and 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
                      S: coffee with cream, delivered by one of my booked patients. Gotta love cops.
                      L: other half of the smoothie that was too filing to have all at once.
                      S: small handfull of almonds.
                      D: late, nearly 9pm. Grilled t-bone, sauteed mushrooms, spinach salad. Several glasses of wine.

Busy day for tomorrow, lots to do before a night out. Need to get to sleep. Up early for (you guessed it) another soccer game, this time son #1. Soon will be a brief break between outdoor and indoor soccer season.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• ahhh kids ay.... there's a reason why I have dogs

Comment

• Kids...yeah. He's now talking again. Usually just takes a couple of days. He really is a good kid. Even if he is already taller than me at 13 and wearing size 12 shoes.

So I was up too late on Friday, and ended up needing an hour nap after running around all day yesterday getting stuff done before we went out. Can't remember what I ate during the day, but wasn't too much, as I knew we'd be indulging later. So last night was a good deal of wine, and far too much cheese for anyone. Easily avoided the piles of baguette, crackers, and little pots of jams/compotes. But I also had grapes, strawberries dipped in milk chocolate, and a lovely few bacon wrapped dates. Those are really good. So in the end, a heck of a lot more sugar from fruit than I've had in ages. And on the way home, we stopped at friends for a couple of fortified decaf coffees (whiskey & kahlua) topped with (gasp) sweetened whipped cream. I think the 2 of those were more than I needed. Consequently, I was up far too late again, slept in but feeling the aftereffects today. Belly kind of off, bowels protesting, and rather unenergetic, non surprisingly. Took some extra probiotics today, plus found some kombucha, which was nice.

Today's eats:
                          B/L: 3 fried eggs with 4 slices alder smoked bacon. Managed to spill hot bacon grease from the jar I poured it into all over the kitchen counter. %&*%#$+
                          S: some almonds
                          D: 2 beef burgers grilled with SOG BBQ sauce topped with avocado & tomato, caesar salad. A rum & diet coke.

Need to get back on track once again this week. Kid's training schedule is winding down for the season, so except for a game tomorrow, the evenings should be not tied up all week. I have to schedule in my workouts, too.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Mornin Greensprout...... hope all is well on this Monday mornin!
                            sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

• Hey TFG, thanks for stopping by. Glad to see you're back to your robust self after your ER scare recently. And well, Monday was a Monday. Busy as heck.

Not enough sleep last night. Typical. Work comes too early.

Eats:
                              B: coffee with cream, 3 egg mushroom omelet in butter, 3 slices bacon.
                              S: few bites of chicken (maybe 1/2 of a thigh), 2 tsp of almond butter
                              D: very late (after what else but kid soccer sitting in the rain), simply a plate of crispy pork belly. A good go to snacky type of meal.

No workout, as had to run as soon as I was home from work, by the time all I had to do was done, it was about 9pm, and I didn't eat until closer to 10. And that was while doing online homework. Aiming to get a better grasp on my time management this week, as the soccer stuff for evenings slows down.

Have a dinner at friends tomorrow eve, so will likely go light on eating through the day. Told hubby that I'll drive, so am self limiting to maximum one glass of wine.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• B: coffee with cream, FF yogurt with berries, few smashed walnuts and a sprinkle of coconut
                                D: out at friends. Appetizer of wild smoked BC salmon made by visiting friend (have some in my fridge now), extremely tasty, he says it was dry brined in salt & brown sugar before smoking. Then meal of salad with greens & fruit (bottle dressing), lovely rare beef tenderloin steak, sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, summer squash. One glass of cab merlot. Then, I ate dessert, grilled peaches with honey (very sweet), vanilla ice cream with candied ginger & slivered almonds, few scattered raspberries & blackberries. 2 cups decaf with cream. Now I feel too full and hazy from the sugar load. Should have passed on the dessert, tasty as it was.

Obviously no time for workout again, as getting home I had to quickly prep dinner for the kids and then we were on the way out the door. Hubby's away from tomorrow to the end of the week, and work is still crazy busy. I didn't get any homework done today either, so I guess I know what my next few evenings will consist of.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X