No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am full of admiration both your hub in deciding to take charge and you for supporting him. That is so great!

Bison marrow! I think that is as primal as you can get! Mmmmm....marrow....
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• There's a local farmer who calls himself "Mr. Bison". Sells at the farmers' market all season, and midwinter phones the people on his list that he'll be in the neighbourhood next week towing his trailer full of full sized freezers. Not particularly cheap, but good meat for sure.

Had a bit of the marrow, it was tasty on a spoon with some pink sea salt. Would be amazing on Brazilian cheese buns...speaking of which, I plan to make some this coming week. Been ages. The bone broth is in jars and looks and smells lovely. I'm going to try a second batch with the same bones tomorrow, plus an added couple of t-bone ones. Have never re-used bones a second time before, but what the heck, worth a try, and can always be used in a soup or something if a bit weak.

MRI is done. Stupid cold outside, snowy streets and extremely icy intersections. Managed to get through the scan without coughing or sneezing, yay me. Would have taken longer if I had, as any movement distorts the pictures. Now another month till I see the orthopod, though I may have to reschedule that as I may have a work trip that week (to Arizona, so not so bad...). Granted, my shoulder is bugging me more of late, though not so bad this week.

Ate not a lot today, 3 eggs with ham for brunch with a slice of gouda, a mandarin, kombucha, maybe 8 macadamia nuts, bit of sweetened costco coconut. Deferred supper due to the scan, but not particularly hungry by the time I got home close to 10. May have a bit of cheese & salami. Having wine while hubby has rooibos tea.

Interesting to note that though hubby saw a major jump up on the scale this week, I've been seeing a slow but steady decline since Monday. Yes, there was a slight up after the weekend, but still down about 2 lb from before last weekend. Granted, I didn't crossfit this week, so there may be another variable worthy of consideration.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Light on the eats today, just what I needed and nothing more. All good, and satisfied. Scale continues it's slow downward trend.

Out to restock some groceries that were depleted over Christmas. Basics, and produce for the most part. Stupid cold weather continues. Ugh. Hubby & I saw the new Hunger Games movie tonight. I enjoyed it. Reasonably close to the book, from what I remember from reading it 2 years ago. Regardless, a good evenings entertainment. More reading today from the Paleo Manifesto. I'm really enjoying that book. I like his perspective.

Made another batch of bone broth from yesterday's recycled bones and a couple more meaty ones. It seems pretty good.

Tomorrow should be a leg of lamb roast (locally raised). Sides to be determined. I love lamb. My final year at home we raised a lamb. His name was Buddy, and was very cute and friendly. He was also very tasty. I have no issues with that. We also butchered a calf named Bunter, and a few hogs (whose names I forget), as well as many chickens and a few geese, and the odd deer, moose and grouse. All nomalicious.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
          Hubby said yesterday he wants to dial in the diet and get back on track. Very nice. If we both are prepared to encourage and support each other, that should give us much better success with sticking to the plan. I definitely will need more than 6 hours of sleep tonight, might not be 8, but 7+ is absolutely going to happen.
          Teamwork makes the dream work! It can only get better with the two of you working in concert. I hope you get your sleep under control.
          --
          ¸. • ¸. •*´¨ ) ¸. •*¨ *
          ( ¸. •´ ( ¸ . •* Learn. Lead. Love. CharPower© -:¦:-

Comment

• I've roasted a leg of lamb which is now resting, done early so the boys can eat some before work. Hubby & I will eat later with cauliflower mash and some other vegetables.

Off to crossfit right away for the first time in over a week. Shoulder is feeling good, hopefully I won't aggravate it today.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Shoulder feels decent. Held up well during front squats, and a WOD of power cleans, burpees and and band assisted chest to bar pullups. The knee, however, is another story. It's always something, it seems. While warming up, WARMING UP, MIND YOU, I got up from a stretch sort of like yoga camel pose, and something twisted in the bad knee (which has been feeling fine of late). Now it's quite painfully stiff. WTF?? I did end up going lighter on the lifts than I would have otherwise. Iced it tonight, and will take some antiinflammatory. Good grief. Hoping to go again tomorrow, hopefully thing will be feeling better in the morning.

The leg of lamb turned out fantastic. Rubbed with evoo/lemon zest/lemon juice/garlic/rosemary/thyme, roasted medium rare. Drippings were divine drizzled over. Cauli puree per Practical Paleo recipe, with ghee and coconut oil, no dairy. Creamy and tasty.

Today's eats:

black coffee
              2 soft boiled eggs, ham
              4 macadamias, 4 cashews, a brazil nut, a banana, kombucha
              mandarin orange, 2 tiny lindt dark truffles
              lamb au jus with cauli mash.
              a hard cider and some wine.

The stupid cold is at a new low tonight. Forecast to be -37C, feeling like -48 by morning. Good thing I don't have to go anywhere. Hubby is going into work for the morning, not me, happily.

Hubby's decided to join me for the cava for New Year's Eve. He's seen a good water drop on the scale over the past 3 days, so is encouraged.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                Tomorrow should be a leg of lamb roast (locally raised). Sides to be determined. I love lamb. My final year at home we raised a lamb. His name was Buddy, and was very cute and friendly. He was also very tasty. I have no issues with that. We also butchered a calf named Bunter, and a few hogs (whose names I forget), as well as many chickens and a few geese, and the odd deer, moose and grouse. All nomalicious.
                I just had a conversation with my 18 year old niece. She can't believe that I am going to buy part of a cow. Conversely she has no trouble purchasing from the grocery store. Go figure! She says that the food at the market is less "real". I couldn't help but giggle.

I've never cooked lamb before. Maybe I will give it a whirl.
                --
                ¸. • ¸. •*´¨ ) ¸. •*¨ *
                ( ¸. •´ ( ¸ . •* Learn. Lead. Love. CharPower© -:¦:-

Comment

• Less real? Now that's a hoot. You should definitely try some lamb.

Damn, my knee is feeling worse today. Extremely stiff, sore with weight bearing, and tender on the lateral side. I cancelled crossfit for this afternoon. Grrr. Taking high dose ibuprofen and icing today. Can't even walk without limping.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Knee is still in a bad way. Ah well, it is what it is for the moment. I refuse to accept that it's just me getting old, as hubby joked. He's older. Nuff said.

Having a margarita. Made by hubby, he is foregoing the no booze for today. Baked Practical Paleo's pumpkin pie custard for tonight's treat, thanks Siobhan for the recommendation in your journal a while back. The unbaked batter tasted amazing, so I'm quite looking forward to it. Both boys are at work, #1 6 till 2, #2 5 till 10. #2's girlfriend is hanging out here until he's home, they they're heading out. Dinner will be some steak kebabs (in the oven...it barely broke -30C here today...) and maybe sweet potato.

In other words, a quiet night at home for us. Some good foods, some TV. All good.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Quiet New Year's Eve at home. Dinner was delish, and the pumpkin custard was fabulous. As usual, neighbours to the rear set off fireworks at midnight, which I was able to watch from my kitchen window, rather than in the -35 outside weather.

To bed at 1, up around 930. Stayed in today, still frigid outside. Baked a bunch of bacon, which the boys mostly devoured. Roasted some squash, which was transformed into a superb pureed soup topped with bacon crumbles/cilantro/fresh squeezed lime. Brazilian cheese buns were baked, though I made them a bit larger than previously and they were a tad underdone in the middle. Very tasty, regardless, particularly when feeling nostalgic about bready like things. I ate 2. And a few steak cubes, and a spinach salad.

My knee is still stiff and sore, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. Iced and medicated once again. Hopefully it will feel reasonable enough tomorrow to get to crossfit. In the meantime, I have been stopping by the pullup bar most times I venture into the basement the past 2 days (extra fridge is down there) and doing a pullup. It's something, at least.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ouch on knee ow-ies! I can't remember if it was a PE instructor or a physical therapist, but one of those two told me that the reason women tend to have more knee probs is the angle from hip to knee. Pullups are awesome. Hmmm... maybe I should put that on my resolution list. We have trees here in the yard and I think one of them would be perfect to practice "climbing to get away from a zombie" exercise.

Sending out "heal the knee" vibes to the cosmos.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• How's the knee doing?
                          Female 55
                          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Joanie, yes, pullups may be a good asset for dealing with zombie hoards. I highly recommend them .

The knee is improved today. For the first time since it was aggravated on Monday, first steps out of bed today were not painful. Still stiff, but much more range of motion. Stairs are still somewhat uncomfortable going down, but better. I decided to leave it one more day before returning to crossfit, as today's workout included a lot of squats. Tomorrow should be okay.

Uneventful day here. Out to do a few errands, then puttering in the kitchen. At request of the boys, I made a big pot of creamy potato soup with some of my recent bone broth. Had a small bowl, I must say it is pretty spectacular.

Eats today don't seem to add up to a heck of a lot, but I'm feeling pretty full. Nibbles and tastes while cooking no doubt added up for that.

black coffee
                            brazilian cheese bun with pate & havarti
                            coconut, pistachios
                            tastings plus a small bowl of potato soup
                            bowl of squash soup garnished with bacon, cilantro & lime, extra tastings of bacon crumbles, brazilian cheese bun
                            last cheese bun filled with lamb & kerrygold cheddar, dipped in lamb roast drippings. Heavenly.
                            rum & zevia.

Hubby & I have started watching Mad Men. Interesting show. A very different time. Innocence on some levels, and over the top decadence and hedonism on others.

Hormone changes seem to be going on. After that endometrial biopsy in October, it was 42 days until my next cycle (2 weeks late for me). I'm at 39 days now since then, but there are signs that it's coming soon (mild cramping, etc). I don't like this unpredictability. If anything, I'm more used to erring on the side of early, or short cycles.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Milder temperatures today, -teens and "only" about -23C with wind. Feels nearly balmy. But of course, there is snow. Going to be up to 15 cm, high winds with blowing snow and deep freeze returning. Blizzard conditions for tonight. A good day to stay in. Ventured to Costco midday, which was busier than I expected. Lots of sliding around the roads, cars in ditches, and so on. Decided it was too crappy to head to crossfit this evening. Knee feels about the same as yesterday, so perhaps that's not a bad thing. Feeling rather sluglike all week! Not overeating, but lazy and plenty of wine and such in the evenings. Back to work on Monday, so the holiday will be over. Hubby hasn't gone back on the wagon since New Year's Eve, will reset after the weekend.

I have wings in the oven. And maybe a splurge on natchos for tonight, found some organic non GMO corn tortilla chips at Costco and fresh pico de gaillo, and have avocados ripe for guacamole.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• And speaking of zombies, here's the latest art addition to hubby's hangout area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X