No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a late night, I slept in a bit and went in to work by mid morning. Tons of snow here, our street is difficult to navigate, and it's damn cold. Expected to be around -20C for the next week or so.

Not as productive as I should have been at work, but whatever. It'll get done.

Fit in a crossfit class after work. Really feeling it now. Son #1's glutamine again for the win. I may have issues raising my arms in the morning.

Felt sugar cravings mid afternoon, but rather than a crappy candy bar, I ate the slightly sweetened toasted coconut flakes picked up at O'hare ariport yesterday. The brand is "Dang"...pretty much crack like in their appeal. Or so I can imagine.

Eats:

2 black coffees
    bone broth with gelatin
    large baked potato smashed with bone broth
    2 chicken thighs, an apple
    toasted coconut flakes
    chicken breast, bit of rice, carrots & broccoli, all buttered
    a cider

Weary now, time for bed. Hubby turned in early, an hour ago. Tomorrow is his work Christmas party. Usually a decent meal and some games, including bocce ball (venue is a local Italian cultural centre), and people are heading home before 11. Should be fun.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I was reading your airport adventure while sitting in the airport listening to flights get canceled. Fortunately, I got to my destination just fine. I really dislike traveling this time of the year! Glad you got home safely.
      Female 55
      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• It warmed up outside today to a high of -23C. Now going down again for the night. Boo. And of course the windchill value puts it at least 10 degrees colder.

Hubby's Christmas party was fun. Meal was chicken in some sort of cream sauce, salad, roasted potatoes, a green bean & red pepper medley. Skipped the pasta, of course, but did eat the top off of an okay mini cheesecake. And our team won the bocce ball tournament. We got a $10 gift card for a food place (gave to one of the boys), and I kept the one for Lush. Son #2 drove us, and we got a ride home from a colleague. Once home, I concluded that I'd consumed FAR more wine than I realized, or at least it hit me super hard, anyway. I was completely toasted. Hubby was laughing at me, I was so done in. Definitely not at my best when I got up, but I've survived.

Tonight is a cocktail party at my bosses' place. Should be fun. Son #2 has grudgingly agreed to drop us off again, probably because we promised a contribution to his gas tank. We can taxi home later.

Son #1 is stressing over a final exam being written this evening (micro economics). He had to work very late last night, and again tonight after the exam. And spent over an hour frantically searching for his misplaced wallet, (was in his room, of course) as he needs to show ID to write the test. He procrastinated quite well on studying all week, so has apparently chosen to learn the hard way about university study habits. He seems slightly more upbeat now since he has been caffeinated and a has belly full of pizza.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hubby ended up deciding to drive after all. It was a lovely evening, lots of great food, and they made a point of having many gluten free selections that we could choose from. Lots of cheeses, olives, dry cured salamis, skewers of lamb and chicken, fruit, rice crackers, vegetable platter with tzatziki, and homemade chocolate bark: milk with almond, dark with candied ginger, white with cranberry and pistachio. Nice wine. We were served a small glass of prosecco with pomegranite arils upon arrival. And handed a lovely package of homemade fudge as we left.

It's currently -27C outside, windchill makes it feel like -37. And the northern lights are visible tonight. A bit rare for this far south. Used to see them regularly when I lived in northern BC as a teen.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I'm feeling very achy today. Arms, legs, low back. And mostly hot despite it only warming up to -25C today. Not quite sure if it's some cruddy contagious sickness trying to materialize, or just residual workout soreness with frequent hot flashes. Regardless of feeling off, I'd prefer the latter. I have no reason to be sick. Or time for it, for that matter. Or patience.

Made pumpkin muffins, ran out for a few errands, and have a local farm chicken roasting on a bed of vegetables in the oven. It is smelling amazing. Aiming for crispy skin, so keep your fingers crossed. My kombucha really needs bottling, not sure if I'll bother tonight or not at this point. Feeling lazy. And I was planning on making egg muffins too, we'll see about that one after dinner.

Son #1 reports the exam went better than he expected. He got home from work around 330 am, and didn't get up until after 3 today.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Feeling less achy, muscles still sore, but mostly a fatigued sore now. Not so much a deep ache. Considered an epsom salt bath, but now I'm rather warm again, so it's not so appealing.

The roasted chicken was fantastic. Crispy skin and all. The bed of potato, carrot, onion & parsnip was amazing all roasted in the chicken juices. And the pressure cooker has just turned off from making the carcass into a hopefully lovely bone broth.

I ate some of boss's fudge after dinner. Chocolate. And damn tasty. Had 2 small pieces, and now am buzzing from the sugar. Wow.

Having some cab sauv.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Up way too late last night. Then raging hot much of the night, which did not give a good start to the day. Very tired. Things got busy at work, too, which meant I didn't really get home in time for the planned crossfit at 530, unless I rushed right out the door. Ended up spending over 90 minutes after getting home on urgent work emails, so didn't make the 630 class either. Granted, I had been considering skipping due to feeling so fatigued. The work stuff is mostly settled for tonight, but should make for a busy day tomorrow. A better night's sleep should help deal with that. Then hopefully I can make crossfit tomorrow. And with more energy than today.

Threw pork sirloin chops in the slow cooker this morning. I never slow cook pork chops, normally I like them grilled or fried, but I had too much meat to fry unless in several batches, and it's too damn cold to sweep the snow off the grill. And I was planning on the gym tonight in the first place. I was sidetracked this morning with the pork, and realized when I got to work that I had forgot to pack my pumpkin muffins in my lunch. How very disappointing. I've already packed some for tomorrow, so not making the same error 2 days in a row!

Eats:

2 black coffee
                2 HB eggs, a banana
                chicken thigh, roasted potato & parsnip, 2 mandarin oranges
                1 square dark chocolate
                bone broth with gelatin
                kombucha
                small piece of fudge
                pork chop, roasted sweet potato, steamed broccoli

Finally got around to bottling my kombucha. It was ready several days ago, so rather tart today. Added 2 tsp of sugar to the mandarin and ginger that went into the bottles. I expect it will be very nice. New batch is on. And scoby is looking even more awesome than the last time I handled it. Thicker and more robust.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Very busy day at work, with a lot of frustrations along the way. Why are some people just so damn stupid?

Still ridiculously cold. It may have hit -24C today, but windchills well into the -30s. I thought my face was going to freeze off walking to my car in the parking lot after work. Seriously not nice. And several more days of the same to come.

Made it to crossfit after work. Most people are testing their 1RM this week on the main lifts, but I'm a week behind in the program. Coach said it would be better to complete this week (Wendler 5-3-1 program) then test next week. Today I did deadlifts. Max set was 6 reps at 72.5 kg. Nice. Then a WOD of thrusters with chest to bar pullups. Crazy stuff.

Did an epsom salt bath after dinner. Good stuff, that.

Eats:

2 black coffees
                  bone broth with gelatin & 2 egg yolks, 2 pumpkin muffins
                  bit of sweet potato with leftover pork chops, 2 mandarin oranges
                  1 square dark chocolate
                  kombucha
                  one more pumpkin muffin, ground beef/pork/mushrooms on a bit of sweet potato
                  a hard cider

Time for bed.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hmm, lets see. Yesterday at work was a continuation of the frustrations from the previous day, but in the end, things are sorted out and operations are in progress. Left late, out for a few errands, and a reasonably relaxing evening. Eats were on the light side, was busy, and had some lovely crispy pork belly slices for a late dinner. Unfortunately, of the slices I saved for today's work meal, hubby and boys got into them, so I had a whole 1.5 slices left for me. . Ah well. Slowly, they are learning the wonders of pork belly. That's a good thing, but means I have to share more. Sigh.

Busy again today, very much so. Was supposed to get to a holiday thing at the mess for the afternoon, but was chained to my desk instead, though not particularly bothered that I didn't make it. Left a tad early to make it to teacher parent interviews with son #2's tech program. He's doing very well in the electrical program, though lates and absences leave something to be desired. Yet he makes grades in the high 80s and low 90s. And likes the program. Not bad overall.

Total asskicker crossfit workout tonight. WOD called "fight gone bad". Ha. I managed to whack myself on the underside of the chin doing a sumo deadlift high pull. Never was particularly graceful. The word clumsy has been used on occasion. Not by me of course, but those who know me well. . Went in a bit low on the energy tank, but had a great workout.

The scale is moving downward slightly of late, but there's definitely some body recomposition going on. Definition coming in the upper body. Flatter belly. Waist measurement lower. And this morning, I noticed my nekkid butt out of the shower in the mirror is looking less flabby at the bottom and more round. This is a very good thing. Squats, deadlifts, lunges and all that lifting heavy shit for the win! Even though my forearms have been rather sore from the workouts of the past week.

Eats:

2 black coffees
                    bone broth with gelatin, an apple
                    1.5 thick slices of pork belly, 2 mandarin oranges
                    3 lindt chocolate balls
                    another mandarin
                    cup of rice, 2 roasted chicken wings, a pepperoni stick.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I'm grilling steaks tonight on the BBQ.

It's -23C, with windchill, feeling like -30.

Just another prairie winter day...

Yes, I'm hungry.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Steak was yummy, of course. Now my winter coat smells of grilled meat.

Enjoyed a good 9 hours of sleep. Up and out for groceries, which of course means a full cart weekly for 4 of us. Picked up a few Christmas gifts at the bookstore. I found a discounted copy of Tim Ferris' "the 4 hour cook" for only $10. It's a huge hardcover, and I've heard great things about it. A podcast (Robb Wolf, maybe?) interviewed Tim Ferris that I listened to a few months back, and the book sounded pretty great. Perused it in the store, and I'm in. Of course, this is apparently a gift for myself. Heheheheh.

Eats today have only been coffee, a pepperoni stick and a few pistachios so far. About to fry pork chops and roast vegetables.
                        Last edited by Greensprout; 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• One of my friends married a man with three teenage boys - they had never known their mother as she abandoned the family when they were very young. They could all cook and clean but they were so appreciative of everything she did, she loved it! Anyway, my point is that she would purchase truly astounding amounts of groceries. Three teenage boys and their friends...they could go through an entire freezer full of meat in a week, no kidding. And 6 lbs. of pasta - that was just for snacks. She spent $400 a week on groceries, and that was 15 years ago and also buying a lot of stuff at Costco! None of them are heavy, btw.
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Imagine 4 teens, friends, an adult needing help with toddler, and girlfriends..........
                            Female 55
                            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Oh, yes. I hear all that. I'm around $300 and sometimes more weekly for groceries. And that doesn't include the occasional meat purchase form local farmers. Ridiculous. Good thing we rarely eat out! And this also feeds one girlfriend, who seems to be at our house more often than her mothers. And random teenaged friends.

Dinner of pork chops, roasted sweet potato, cauliflower, carrot & brussel sprouts was lovely. Even hubby took a few brussel sprouts. He always claimed to hate them. Ha, I'm winning. Bacon fat makes everything better .

Tomorrow we have an afternoon open house at a former boss of hubby's. A lovely couple, should be nice.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Did a bit of holiday shopping. Made 124 meatballs. Son #2 and hubby nearly caught me adding a pound of "ground bison organs" (liver & heart) into the ground beef, but managed to covertly avoid discovery. And made 12 egg muffins with ham, mushroom, scallion & cheddar. The meatballs received rave reviews by all. Also roasted 18 chicken thighs. I'm not cooking tomorrow.

Open house was nice, we just stayed an hour. Took a small glass of mulled wine, some cheese, shrimp and salami. And some overly sweet chocolate fudge, but just 2 tiny pieces.

Hubby picked up the Christmas tree today, a douglas fir. Tomorrow it will be properly thawed out, and ready for decorating if we get to it. It's our anniversary tomorrow. 22 years. Wow. Despite the ups and downs, still a good choice.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X