No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez, Greensprout, you're making the rest of us look bad! I thought I could multiple-task. And cross fit, to boot!

As I recall, you have brined a turkey. Was it worth it? I'm thinking about changing things up on Thanksgiving. Any tips, suggestions? Your food sounds great as usual!

Comment

• The brined turkey was good. Very moist and tender. Because I had a ginormous locally raised free range bird, I put it into a giant foodsafe ziplok bag and kept it in a cooler on ice for the duration. The drippings turned gravy was a tad salty, but perhaps a more thorough rinsing would help for that. Overall, I would try it again.

As for crossfit, it kicked my ass once again, as expected after a 10 day haitus. Working on another month of strength training al la Wendler 5-3-1. After the WOD, the box jumps left my wonky knee a bit sore. I scaled and did mostly step downs, and some step ups. My band assisted pullups are improving, so I suppose I need to up my game and move the the next less assisted band soon. I managed 3 sets of 6 band assisted strict pullups tonight, so strength is improving for sure.

Eats:
      2 cups black coffee
      bone broth with 2 egg yolks and gelatin, a banana
      individual package of "sea snacks": seaweed. Not quite sure I like them, but not so bad. Strangely addictive says the packaging, so perhaps that is true.
      lamb liver pate on cucumber and celery, 2 mandarin oranges
      3 squares of dark chocolate through the workday
      white tea
      2 chicken thighs baked, roasted sweet potato wedges.
      a hard cider.
      pistachios

I was tired today. Post weekend up too late last night kind of thing. Considered ditching the workout, but glad that I didn't. Now feeling appropriately well used. More sleep tonight.
      Last edited by Greensprout; 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot the nuts!
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Okay sleep last night, but not stellar. Hubby left early to the west coast until Thursday evening.

I should have gone to crossfit today, but the knee is still kind of sore. I have my military fitness test on Thurs morning, so want to keep things working. I'll try for tomorrow for crossfit.

I had the pork butt in the slow cooker overnight and through the day, and crisped up carnitas in the oven. I had a few tastes, but am not too hungry now, will probably have some at some point later. I need to make guacamole, that's just a 5 minute job.

Doing laundry tonight, have to stir the brewing wine, and plan on a bath. Epsom salts sound like a good thing today.

Eats:

2 black coffee
        bone broth with 2 egg yolks and gelatin, a banana
        2 chicken thighs
        a candy bar during a tedious 90 minute teleconference...
        a mandarin orange

Tomorrow is the post op follow up with the gyne surgeon. Since I haven't heard anything already, I assume the biopsy of the uterine polyp was non significant. Weird that it's now been 6 weeks since the D&C and still no period. Very odd. I'll ask about that. Not that I mind it's non appearance, just have no idea when to expect it at this point. The only times in my life I've not had it roughly every 4 weeks is during pregnancy or nursing.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The bath last night was very good. Muscles felt much better after.

Gyne followup was all clear. The polyp may not have even been one, and everything on the biopsy was negative for anything concerning. And funnily enough, it seems the good old TOM has returned. Doc thought it was a bit odd that it took 6 weeks, as the procedure shouldn't reset the normal cycle, but not particularly concerning.

We had a bunch of snow today, the drive to work sucked, and so did the drive through downtown across the city for the appointment in the afternoon. When I got home (early), son #2 had shoveled the driveway already, which was a pleasant surprise.

Got to an earlier crossfit class. Only 2 of us there, no doubt to the crappy weather and driving conditions. Excellent to have nearly one on one coaching on form. Was working today on overhead presses and thrusters. And I'm getting callouses on my palms. From lifting. Crazy stuff. I like smooth hands, but this apparently is an asset for more lifting.

Tomorrow morning is my military fitness test. First time doing the newly formatted one. Pretty sure there will be no isseus, considering my recent forays into heavier lifting. As long as I'm not too sore from today's class! Glutamine for the win.

Eats:
          2 black coffees
          3 egg omlette with lamb liver pate, cream cheese & scallions (yum)
          a fuji apple
          bone broth. Note to self: don't add kelp powder next time. Fishy smelling, tasting, not dissolved well, and overall not good.
          2 slices bacon
          bit of persimmon
          sweet potato wedges, carnita meat with salsa & guacamole
          a cider, a pepperoni stick
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Kick butt!
            Female 55
            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Woke with rather stiff shoulders and trapezius muscles from last evening's workout. Another rough ride into work, the usual 20 minutes turned into nearly 50. Light snow had continued all night. The ride home was a touch slow, but much better than yesterday.

Fitness test done. It was really not bad at all. Sandbag lifts and carries, some other sprinty things, and a 200+ lb sandbag drag for 100m. My strength work is paying off. There were definitely some who struggled, which is kind of sad, considering we're military and should all be in decent basic shape. I chose to pass on crossfit today, as my lift next class is squats, and after 30 reps of basically squats with a 20kg sandbag, I didn't need to be working on more of those this evening. Legs feeling tired out now. I should do an epsom salt bath, but may just be too lazy to actually do so. An earlier bed would be a good idea. Hubby made it home and is currently snoozing in the armchair, both boys are at work, so it's quiet here.

Happy for Friday tomorrow. The US Black Friday thing is happening now in Canada too, but don't expect to be venturing out to shop after work. Or before, as the malls are opening at 7 am. Yeah, right. Don't need anything that badly. Perused Amazon to see if anything I'm looking at is on super special sale, but nothing appeals right now.

Eats:

2 black coffees
              L: 2 medium baked potatoes smushed in bone broth, more bone broth with gelatin, lamb liver pate & cream cheese, an apple.
              2 squares of dark chocolate
              white tea, bottle of kombucha. My Halloween bottled batch is nice and fizzy and lemony tart.
              D: small bit of leftover steak with mushrooms.
              might do a chocolate banana mug muffin thing shortly. Been thinking about this for a few days.

Good old TOM is in full force, heavier than usual, but not particularly crampy, at least that's something. Still annoying. Hot flashes lately seem to be in control with the Black Cohosh. The occasional flash during the day, and some nights wake sweaty toward the last couple of hours of sleep, but not like they were before the supplements. I'd still like to see less of that. Might have been a touch less with the Dong Quai, but I don't think enough to be spending another $50 monthly on that stuff.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• nice work on the fitness test.

You put me to shame. Actually anyone can put me to shame.... (hangs head )

Comment

• Aw, Suse, thanks, but we like you anyway .

Busy day at work. I might be going to Wisconsin next week for a site visit for an assessment of a project. Kind of a pain, as I'll probably be back late for hubby's work Christmas party on Friday. Won't get confirmation if I'm a go or not until Monday.

Crossfit after work. Did my squats, and a WOD that worked me well. If I go away for 3 days next week, that impacts my lifting schedule. Grrr.

Eats:

2 black coffees
                  2 medium baked potatoes with bone broth, more bone broth, a banana
                  slices of procuitto and deli turkey around kerrygold cheddar, 2 mandarin oranges
                  2 squares of dark chocolate, bottle of kombucha
                  dinner shortly will be salmon, broccoli and a bit of sweet potato.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ha, fell asleep in front of the TV last night probably around 12, wandered up to bed close to 3. Yes, I'm a dingbat. All limbs were feeling very heavy from the workout, but reasonable today.

Slept in nicely, then did a restock of groceries. Store was a bit of a madhouse, no doubt due to the "no tax" 2 day special. Between GST and PST, our sales tax is about 15%, so not insignificant. Ended up spending enough to get the freebie for the week, which was a 6.5 kg frozen butter basted turkey worth $30. Not bad. Didn't really need one for Christmas, as I usually only do one for Thanksgiving, but heck, it was free. Not free range, but still free.

Wandered out again to browse some shops in the decent stripmall close by. Picked up a heavily discounted pair of nice pants and a sparkly shirt at the Mexx outlet for hubby's Christmas party next weekend. Good deals. Looked for shoes, but came away empty handed, as nothing was appealing enough for the prices.

Eats today have only been coffee, half a pepperoni stick and 2 pecan halves. Steak night coming up.

After the shopping, I'm almost in a Christmasy mood, surprisingly. Hubby picked up some stuff for son #1 today, a kobo e-reader and nice computer chair, so we're off to an early start to the holiday shopping for a change.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• A decent day. Nice sleep in, up and coffeed before hubby moved, which doesn't happen too often. Went out and picked up a pair of half price nice reebok sweatpants to wear over shorts to crossfit, and a couple of workout shirts and socks, also half price.

Kitchen busy as well. Completed are pumpkin pecan muffins, egg muffins with ground pork, evoo/avocodo oil mayo. In the oven is pork tenderloin and roasting squash, plus broccoli is ready for steaming.

Haven't been very hungry today. Had a banana, a pepperoni stick, half a cup of pistachios and a bottle of kombucha. Wasn't even interested in cooking dinner, but the rest of the family apparently needs something. I'll have some, as it smells really, really good.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Around 7 hours of sleep, could have used more. Sluggish in the morning, but it got better.

Found out I am on the road this week, heading to someplace outside of Milwaukee on Wed, home on Friday just in time (hopefully) to change and head to hubby's work Christmas party.

Crossfit tonight, another good day. Did deadlifts, and another butt kicking WOD. Pullups, pushups, more deadlifts, and burpees. I should probably move to the next thinner band for pullups. With the thickest one, I managed 5 sets of 9, plus another 3. Less help will aid in improving strength. This is good. I showed off my guns to hubby and son #1 tonight, they both can see more muscle, and son #1 says he can see leaning out as well. Scale is still in the same place, but I'm definitely more muscular. Still need to work at dialing back the foods. It's all on plan, just more than I need. I like to eat .

Eats:

2 black coffee
                        2 egg/sausage muffins, 2 pumpkin pecan muffins
                        leftover steak with a baked potato and a few mushrooms, 2 mandarin oranges, 2 squares dark chocolate
                        kombucha
                        post workout - a banana, bunch of slices of crispy pork belly.

I have a nasty kink in my left trapezius muscle after the workout. Hit me during the 4th set of pullups. I worked it a bit with a lacrosse ball after class, but there's still a not so nice knot there. Maybe I need to convince hubby to knead it a bit. Pretty awkward to do by oneself.
                        a hard cider
                        Last edited by Greensprout; 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• how about a photo of your new guns!

Comment

• Photos of gunz...yes, perhaps soon!

Tonight's class was another good asskicking. Improving on my form for overhead press. And snatch. And pullups are doing well. I kept with the same band today, which was probably a good thing for sets of 21-15-9. The trapezius knot is still slightly there, but a lot better. Hubby worked it a bit last night, then more with the lacrosse ball after class tonight. Nearly normal.

Close to 8 hours of sleep. A busy day, getting a few things out of the way since I won't be in the office the rest of the week.

All packed for the upcoming trip, aside from toiletries, which will be in the morning. Cab coming at 10. Since it's only 2 nights, with connecting flights both ways, I've gone for carry on only, so if there's any weather issues, it's much easier to change flights with no checked bags.

Eats:

2 black coffee
                            2 egg muffins, a banana
                            bone broth with gelatin
                            crispy pork belly slices, 2 pumpkin muffins, an apple
                            2 squares dark chocolate 85%, an apple
                            1 chicken thigh, rice.
                            a cider and a glass of wine
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• A total waste of a day. Yes, weather issues.

Left home in the beginnings of a snowstorm. Got into Chicago late, but in time to make the connection to Milwaukee, where I was to meet 4 colleagues and share a rental vehicle to drive to West Bend. Saw that my connection was delayed over an hour and a half. Via email, established that one person arrived in Milwaukee under sketchy landing conditions, and the others were delayed through Detroit. I wandered around for a bit, then saw that my flight was apparently cancelled, along with the next few flights to Milwaukee, all due to weather. Seriously?? Apparently super foggy there. The others landed with several approaches required, while I was waiting in a very long line of angry people to sort out what the heck to do next. And O'Hare airport was seriously overheated today. Even the staff were fanning themselves with papers while wearing short sleeves.

In the end, after an hour in line, many emails, over half an hour on phone to the government travel agency and more time in line, ended up choosing to just return home. there was a seat that appeared on a late flight to Milwaukee, but it was still sketchy if it would be cancelled too or not. There was a seat on the last flight back here. I didn't want the others to wait hours for me, nor have to drive back a distance to get me hours later in bad conditions, and at least there are representatives from all required groups there, so my absence is negated. I can consult over the phone from the office tomorrow if needed, and they'll no doubt be just fine without me anyway. And now I get 2 more days in the office to get stuff done this week that really needs my attention. Super lucky that I didn't check a bag, as I may not have been able to get it back tonight.

Got home about an hour ago, emailed the boss that I'd be in to work by midmorning. Still snowing, the streets are quite horrible, but the plows are out overnight on the main routes.

I hadn't eaten today, expecting to wait until dinner at final destination. Ended up eating some nice gluten free macaroons and beef jerky in the airport, then a sadly underseasoned small steak and salad once the flight home was sorted out, plus 2 glasses of pinot noir. The wine was good, the meal underwhelming.

I suppose I should go to bed. Still a bit wound up from the whole crazy experience.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• What a frustrating day. Glad you made it home OK. A little Pinot Noir to take the edge off always helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X