X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August challenge day 22.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals.

B: coffee with HWC, bit of coconut oil.
    L: Planned on steak & eggs for breakfast, but wasn't hungry when I got up. Maybe 3 oz steak, few mushrooms, raw green pepper, cucumber, radishes & kohlrabi dipped in homemade mayo.
    S: 430 pm 1 turkey pepperoni stick, slice of mozza, couple of almonds and small handful of pecans. Quick dash off to kid soccer game across town.
    D: 930 pm. Good helping of bacon with 3 over easy eggs cooked in the bacon pan. A rum & diet coke.

2. Avoid poisonous things.
    See dose of rum above.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace.
    Not a lot. Hoped for a walk, but ran out of time, not getting home until after 830 and needing some dinner.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Not today.

5. Sprint once in a while.
    Later.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    Maybe 6 hours.

7. Play.
    Watched a great game by son #2, he totally controlled the midfield and scored a goal. Got a yellow card to boot due to bizarre ref call.

8. Get adequate sunlight.

Not enough. 5000 IU Vit D.

9. Avoid stupid mistakes.
    Okay here.

10. Use your brain.
    More online course done.

Today is 'pooless day 26. Did an egg yolk wash finished by ACV/rosemary essential oil rinse. Funny how after towel drying, it doesn't seem conditioned, but it seemed to have lots of body, so I didn't use any product before blowdrying, which I don't think I've done in perhaps forever. Ended up full of body and wave, soft and shiny. Did use a touch of finishing cream, but that's it. Stayed nice all day. I honestly think I'm a convert to the 'pooless way of life. I'm a bit nervous, however, as I need a trip to the salon for a trim and maybe a colour touchup before heading to MIL's wedding on the long weekend. Will the treatment and washing by the salon result in a regression right before the wedding? Will keep my fingers crossed. Interesting too that hubby hasn't seemed to notice anything different about the hair, or at least he hasn't commented on it. Then again, that's not too unusual. At least no negative comments.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 08-24-2010, 06:58 PM.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I have to say I'm fascinated by your 'poo-lessness. So brave. It would be a damn shame if going to the salon takes you backward. But then you could just ask them to not use shampoo. I just do home colours now cause the salon is so expensive and the home job is as good if not better. Interesting in that I dont shampoo my hair before just put the colour in and then rinse it out and use a pile of conditioner. Perhaps you should do a home job and flag the conditioner but use coconut oil or something for the conditioning part??? But then I guess there's the question of how will it react with the colour. Hmmm tricky. Happy to let you be the guinea pig though

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the salon visit, but it will happen soon. I've never tried home colouring, that makes me nervous, as I know a number of people who have done really unpleasant things to their hair doing that. And I also have highlights, so no idea what would happen there. I do like the idea of converting to henna, might have to do a little research there.

August challenge day 23.

B: coffee with HWC, 1 HB with homemade mayo/sirracha and 2 pork sausages.
        L: work luncheon. Had a blah garden salad with balsamic dressing and a few pitiful slices of grilled sirloin on top. Later 1/2 cup of yerba mate tea with some coconut milk that seemed to curdle a bit in the hot tea. Dumped the remainder after it got cold.
        S: small spoonful of macadamia butter
        D: zuchetti topped with grass fed ground beef in organic tomato pasta sauce (bottled) with fresh grated parmesan. Yummy.

Probably bad oil in the grilled sirloin at lunch, and I suspect bottled crappy balsamic salad dressing. Felt very tired in the afternoon.

Not much. Feeling pretty tired all day.

4. Lift heavy things.

No. I'm still feeling most muscles, especially below the waist, heavy and tired/sore since my weekend workouts.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.
        6, maybe 6.5 hours. I think this the problem recently. Not enough sleep to be rested, and not helping the recovery from workouts.

7. Play.
        Very little.

No opportunity. 5000 IU Vit D.

Good.

10. Use your brain.
        Lots from the work perspective. I'm the acting boss this week, and there have been lots of issues needing sorting out. Oh joy.

My hair continues to look good, tomorrow will be 4 weeks with no shampoo. I'm letting it grow too, and I think it's actually picked up on growth rate. Strangely though, my scalp has become really itchy over the past week. So far no flakes (thank goodness), but I can't be constantly wanting to (or actually) scratch my head. Not sure what's going on here. Granted it used to feel like this every once in a while before, and if anything, there should be a lot more natural oils than there used to be. I hope this ends soon.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• You know you're not off to the best start of your day when, while rushing downstairs (and running behind, as usual) to get ready to head out the door you:

-realize you left your travel coffee mug on your desk at work yesterday
          -one of your kids sometime last night ate the cooked bacon you were saving in the fridge for today's lunch...I had visions of a salad with bacon, avocado, tomato & egg. Not the same without the bacon.

Ah well. At least I have a huge 5 lb pork butt roast in the crockpot for garlic pulled pork tonight...mmmmm. Remembered get that ready last night.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Awwww, they ate your bacon! ooohhhhh That is so cause for grounding! LOL j/k Hope your day gets better!!
            sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

• The day did improve. And I found the bacon eating culprit. It was carb (and bacon) loving son #2. His excuse? "I was hungry, and if you wanted it you should have marked it". I've been known to leave labels on some foods specifically saying "Mom's". I should have known better with teenaged boys in the house!

August challenge day 24.

B: coffee with HWC.
              L: leftover zuchetti with ground beef/tomato sauce & fresh parmesan.
              D: Healthy serving of garlic pulled pork. Most awesome, even better being pastured pork. Meat only, as of usual, we had to rush out the door to a soccer game.
              S: last piece of blueberry chocolate clafouti with HWC on top. The kids ate the rest. Thought about more meat, but not really in a meat mood. Kind of low on the veg today, but no big deal there.
              Also consumed one small unidentified insect. Perhaps I should keep my mouth closed while walking in the evening??

Pretty much.

40 min walk.

4. Lift heavy things.
              PBF LHT workout. Incline pushups 25 x 2, reverse pullups/chinups 4 x 2, increased to level 5 side to side squats 30 x 2, jack knife press 15 x 2, elbow-feet/side feet plank 90/45 x 2.
              And I have my very own pullup bar in the basement!!! Had a request in to hubby since last year for this, recently reminded him how GREAT this would be. And he delivered, yay! Will post a photo when I find my camera. Nice not to have to rely on the playground if the weather is uncooperative or it is full of kids, which makes me feel like a complete dork. Guess I owe him big time...suppose that falls under the play category

Later.

6. Get adequate sleep.
              Meh. About 6.5 hours.

7. Play.
              Watching son #2's (aka the bacon thief) game. Playing with new pullup bar and walking in the dark.

Not enough. 5000 IU Vit D.

Think so.

10. Use your brain.
              At work, yes. Listened to another paleo podcast.

Decent day overall. Strange discovery while doing side planks...my shirt rode up and I could see the belly skin kind of drooping, which tells me there is less fat under the skin than there used to be, it was all sort of loose and hanging (ugh)...but I believe that is a sign of progress. Not particularly attractive, however, perhaps a step to be passed through along the way to where I am evolving.
              Last edited by Greensprout; 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Great journal update! Thanks for keeping us up to date!
                sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

• August challenge day 25.

S: about 1/2 cup of coconut milk
                  L: BAS with 1 HB egg, 1/2 avocado, pulled pork with dijon balsamic dressing with lemon thyme. Sadly, no bacon.
                  D: pulled pork warmed in bacon fat, carrots & broccoli with butter & dill, red cabbage & spinach sauteed in more bacon fat.

Yes

Not a lot. Thought about more but I'm damn tired today.

4. Lift heavy things.
                  No.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                  Maybe 5.5 hours. Not so good. But at least I've paid my debt in full for the pullup bar

7. Play.
                  Not much.

Funny how work interferes with this one. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.
                  At some point, yes.

Nearly the end of the 30 day challenge. I'll do a summary at the end, but figure I'm batting about 60-70% overall. Not as good as I had planned, but this gives me food for thought for Mark's September challenge. It makes things clearer to me as to what I need to be doing to get where I want to be.

A colleague had asked me last month what I was doing to be looking "so great", I kept it simple and told her I'm no longer eating grains or sugars. Today she told me that since we chatted, she's cut out most of her grains and sugars. Says she hasn't lost any weight but is no longer gaining, which she is qute pleased with. Wow! I emailed her the links to the PB 101 and PB Definitive Guides pages, so hopefully that can help her out to get further. Most other people who have asked me and to whom I've discussed ditching the grains just say "oh, I couldn't do that...I need my bread/pasta/whatever the hell else". They really don't want to hear any more. Their loss.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yes I hear exactly the same thing "I cant give up..." But nowadays I just tell people that all I have done is actually cut out rice and pasta and significantly reduced bread. I think that seems slightly more palatable. After all rice, schmice... I really can live without that. Now wine.... yes as we all know, that is ENTIRELY another matter and oooh its friday, nearly wine o'clock!

Comment

• Wine o'clock...I like that

August challenge day 26.

L: iced coffee with cream and stevia
                      S: very tired and hungry when I got home, so 1 HB egg with mayo, some walnuts & pecans, and a few pinches of coconut
                      D: made some awesome lamb burgers. Grassfed lamb, fresh oregano & rosemary, stuffed with feta cheese, topped with tzatziki, roasted red pepper and some kalamata olives.

Unfortunately, the tzatziki did contain some modified corn starch, corn starch and soybean oil, ugh. Feeling it a bit now, kind of foggy and growly belly. Must find a recipe and make my own one day.

No. Very weary, again.

4. Lift heavy things.
                      No.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                      About 6 hours. Meant to get to bed earlier, but didn't happen. Ended up chatting with son #2 about starting high school, which is coming up fast.

7. Play.
                      Meh.

A bit. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.
                      Used up all available brain power with the usual Friday afternoon crises that happen when you're the acting boss.

Added another pic of my new pullup bar.

One day I'll figure out how to add pics placed where I want them in the post. Seems I can only get them added on the end.
                      Attached Files
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 27.

L: 2 jumbo scrambled eggs with pulled pork & spinach in butter & cream
                        D: caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes from the farmers' market, rare grilled sirloin with mushrooms sauteed in butter/bacon fat with garlic & rosemary. 2 glasses of cab merlot. Later cup of blueberries with creamed coconut & 1 square 70% dark chocolate.

Just the wine.

Some, with shopping. Planned on a walk, but kept waiting for the rain to end, which it didn't. Sometimes I like walking in the rain, but not today.

4. Lift heavy things.

PBF LHT workout. Incline pushups 25 x 2, reverse pullups/chinups 4 x 2, side to side squat 30 x 2, jack knife press 15 x 2, elbow knee plank/side 90/45 sec x 2.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.

7.5 hours. Later, a well needed nap in the afternoon. Stayed there about 90 min longer than planned. Guess I needed it.

7. Play.
                        Just a bit.

Rainy most of the day. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.

Only as much as necessary.
                        Last edited by Greensprout; 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: photo issues
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I'm still having issues figuring out the attachment thing. Trying again with supper. Nothing exciting, but very tasty.
                          Attached Files
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 28.

L: Leftover steak with 2 over easy fried eggs (not until after 3 pm)
                            S: spoonful of almond butter with a few 70% chocolate bits on top
                            D: made a big pot of meatballs in the slow cooker (italian spices, onion, garlic, tomatoes, some leftover broth from the other day's pork roast). Ate 6 with a healthy dose of sauce on top of cauliflower rice.

Was a good mosquito target while out walking.

Went out walking in the VFFs, ended up going for 2 hours. Very good.

4. Lift heavy things.

Did that yesterday.

Did 6 hill sprints on a grassy park hill partway through the walk. Each was ~15 sec up the hill, then walked down, repeat.

6. Get adequate sleep.

Just over 8 hours. Was up late, but slept in.

7. Play.

Really enjoyed my walk, just me and my ipod. Watched son #2 play a fantastic game (2 goals, yay)

Mostly cloudy until evening. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.
                            2 hours of listening to paleo podcasts.

Tried out my new food processor, finally for the cauli rice. Was kind of rushed, as it was nearly 8pm and the family was waiting to eat. Methinks I have some reading to do to figure this thing out, maybe when I can give myself some more time.

I confessed to hubby last night that I haven't used shampoo in 31 days...he looked rather surprised, and promptly came over to smell my hair. Once convinced all was okay, he then said "at least please tell me you're still using soap and deodorant...", hahaha.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Made a bad choice to have a couple of beer last night (haven't had any in a while), which was followed by some macadamia nuts & pork rinds. Woke up today feeling very bloated, serves me right. Strangely, I seem to be diuresing today, as I'm running to the bathroom to pee much more frequently than normal, with no real change in fluid intake during the day. <note to self: if indulging, stick to wine or spirits>

August challenge day 29.

B: coffee with HWC, 1/2 cup coconut milk
                              L: Few oz of leftover steak, 8 kalamata olives and a chunk of goat brie
                              S: few pecans
                              D: Huge omelet stuffed with cremini mushrooms, tomato, green pepper, spinach and sharp cheddar. Pastured pork sausage pattie and some bacon. Found a butcher where I can get a pound of bacon ends (good stuff) for only $2.49. Nice.
                              Thanks to the kids and hubby's lunches today, there are only 4 meatballs left from what I thought was a giant batch yesterday (about 3 lbs of beef & bison). Hard to keep good leftovers with a man and 2 growing man-children in the house.

Mostly.

Planned on a short walk, was even considering going in the rain (yes, rain again), but reconsidered as it's now thunder and lightning. Probably not a good idea, and the treadmill really doesn't feel very appealing.

4. Lift heavy things.

Probably tomorrow.

Yesterday.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                              Only about 6 hours. I find it more challenging to get to bed early on Sundays, but then again, I pretty much am doing that the rest of the week too.

7. Play.
                              Goofing a bit with the boys.

None to be found. 5000 IU Vit D.

I can count NOT walking in the thunderstorm here.
                              Yes.

10. Use your brain.
                              When I had to.

Tomorrow is the last day of my 30 day challenge. I think I'll take a break from this format for daily posts for a while. Looking forward to seeing what Mark has in store for his September challenge. I will evaluate my progress and challenges from this month and use that as lessons learned for digging in with more gusto for next month.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• well I've enjoyed reading your daily posts, but I like it better when you have more of a ramble than following a script I'm contemplating my own 30 day challenge, will see how I feel, every day is a challenge when trying to be healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X