Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
    I admire your dedication to exercise.
    I'm lucky that in my current job I usually have time to get to the gym during the workday. Because the military values fitness, supervisors are expected to allow their personnel an hour a day of work time for fitness, as long as the job duties can still be done. But honestly, through the years, when I workout, I get my best results. I feel better, have more energy, and as a result, I tend to positively adapt food intake to the exercise. Less crap, since it gets less results, poorer workouts, and so on.

At the moment, I could be doing better on the foods. But it seems the past couple months of lifting have had results. I'm stronger, based on strength gains on lifts. Body is tighter, and more muscle tone is visible. Same 3 lb weight variance on the scale, which means I must be gaining muscle, and likely losing fat. Adding back in the starchy carbs (potatoes, sweet potato, rice) have not resulted in any strength loss or fat or weight gain. Once I tighten up the portion sizes (yes, still an issue) and cut the too regular drinks, things will continue to progress.

I'm so looking forward to spring. I'm having visions of resuming the long walks to the park at midday, and throwing a bunch of random stuff like sprints, pullups in the playground, pushups and bench jumps on park benches, lunges on the springy grass, and just whatever.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Spoke too soon about TOM, raging torrents today accompanied by increased cramps and low back pain

4 miles on the treadmill at lunch in an hour. Slightly took my mind off the cramps. Only slightly.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Slightly better this evening, but major bloating and minor cramping remain. It's one of those days I long to be post menopausal. I'm pretty sure I'm already in the perimenopausal phase, with changes in the monthly cycle and occasional night sweats going on. Some nights a hell of a lot, most nights a bit sweaty in the morning. Ugh. Been doing a bit of reading on the subject, but no conclusions drawn as to what, if anything, I want to do about this at the moment. Perhaps I'll bring up the subject with the gynecologist when I have the endometrial biopsy in May.

Eats:
        coffee
        green tea
        L: bone broth, 3 pumpkin muffins, kerrygold dubliner cheese.
        another few Belgian chocolates. I think they're gone now.
        D: 2/3 of a large pan fried burger pattie topped with carmelized onions & avocado on sauteed spinach, last of yesterday's parsnip fries & roasted cauliflower (just a bit of each)

Hubby just opened a bottle of red. Hmmm.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• If you don't mind, I would love to know what you come up with. I am just entering menopause and dealing with this stuff is really confusing. There is so much bad information out there. I'm sure there is a lot of good, also, but it is hard to sort it out. When I discussed this with my doctor he didn't seem to be up on the latest. I know, you are thinking, "Find another doctor!" But it is not that easy to do here in the back of nowhere. I am pretty well opposed to oral hormone therapy but would like to know more about patches and gels, which I understand are much safer as they aren't processed in the liver. I'm also a bit concerned about other things that happen at menopause, which I understand happen mostly in the first two years, not gradually as you would think. Stuff like memory loss and bone demineralization. The hot flashes are bad enough, but becoming a stooped forgetful old woman is even worse.
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Siobhan, I'll happily share any useful information I come up with. I think I've been teetering on the edge of perimenopause for probably a year now, which is entirely possible as I turn 45 this week. No real inputs on when it happens to other relatives, as I have no sisters and my Mom had a hysterectomy sometime in her 40s due to severe fibroids. All of her sisters are either half or step, so no data there either.

Still a partially off day. Started on a bad note with son #2, which put me off for the day. Flow has suddenly decreased to a trickle, but bloating, gas, backache and apathy continue. Ugh. Hubby pissed me off tonight too, in front of son #2, and I reacted rather strongly, telling him to f*** off, yes, indeed. Bloody nonsense.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Gym today - wasn't really feeling it, but did what seemed to work:
              assisted pullups, 3 sets of 5
              deadlifts 95 x 5, 115 x 5 for 2 sets, 135 x 5 for 2 sets
              OHP 45 x 5, 50 x 5 for 2 sets, 55 x 5 for 2 sets, 60 x 5
              bench press 45 x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 5 for 2 sets, 80 x 5 for 2 sets
              planks front x 90 sec, sides x 45 sec
              treadmill walk x 1.3 miles

Eats:
              coffee
              3 pumpkin muffins (they're really small)
              bone broth
              small baked potato with butter, last 1/3 of yesterday's burger with carmelized onion
              toasted coconut
              pecans
              not interested in dinner. A few tastes of the scallop shrimp veg curry.
              late evening: kerrygold dubliner cheese wrapped in deli roast beef slices, pecans, spoonful of nutella. Wine.

Ugh. A weird day.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Walked a fast 4.3 miles on the treadmill at noon. Felt good. Back to listening to the Robb Wolf podcasts, since I'm caught up on Balanced Bites.

There's a Healthy Life Summit going on over the next week, would be very worth checking out: Healthy Life Summit | Village Green Network . Free if you can catch the day's presentations, as each day is up for only 24 hours. With our upcoming trip, I won't be able to catch them all, but might buy the package. Lots of big name presenters.

Met with our financial adviser today, everything still looking good for retirement. Lots of questions asked and answered regarding tapping into the RESP funds for when son #1 starts university next fall. Looking good there, too. Over the years we've managed to accumulate enough in the fund to likely cover most of both boys' education expenses. Nice. I recall working with colleagues a few years back who were having to work extra and overtime shifts just to pay for their kids' school. Glad we don't have to go there.

Eats:
                coffee
                tea
                bone broth
                L: shrimp & scallop veg curry over rice
                milk chocolate, more tea
                D: salad with 3 baked chicken thighs (seasoned with garlic, onion powder, seasoned salt & smoked paprika)
                wine.

I took tomorrow off. Thought I could get a massage with the groupon I recently purchased, but it is limited to certain days of the week, not Fridays. Ah well, still good for a while. Still have to pick a restaurant for my birthday dinner this weekend, thus far I'm totally undecided as to what I want. Maybe defer and do something later and a nice dinner at home?
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Maybe you should splurge on a massage anyway.....always makes me feel better. Looking forward to hearing about your bday dinner.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Pedidoc, I took your advice and booked a massage at another place for tomorrow, a place focusing on athletic massage, right in my neighbourhood. Thanks for the prod! Haven't had a massage in over a year, I think, and my hips are rather tight. Birthday gift to myself.

Still undecided about the birthday dinner.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                      Pedidoc, I took your advice and booked a massage at another place.....Birthday gift to myself.
                      Hope you enjoy!
                      Female 55

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up on the Healthy Summit. I listened to part of the last one, it was great.

Happy Birthday! Do you have a local place that delivers something upscale? When I lived in the city I liked things like that, of course I was SAD back then.
                        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Was up late, but had a bit of a sleep in, not too much as I got son #2 off to school. 7 1/2 hours of sleep.

Hit the gym for
                          assisted pullups
                          squats 45 x 8, 95 x 5 for 2 sets, 115 x 5 for 2 sets
                          OHP dumbells 40 x 5, 45 x 5 for 2 sets, 50 x 5 for 3 sets
                          bench press 45 x 8, 65 x 5, 75 x 5 for 3 sets, 65 x 8.

Then home for quick shower and off to the massage. It was very good. Well worth the $. After discussion, he focused a lot on the hips/glutes/hamstrings, and found a bunch of calf tightness as well. Knotted spots in upper back have been de-knotted. And a few good hamstring and hip stretches. I'd go back there again if the need arises. Of course, most of the massages I've had in the past have been spa type ones (though usually with RMTs), all soft lighting, new age sounds and wafting floral/herby scents in the room. This was much more basic, as it's a sports massage clinic. Down to business, and effective at that.

After the massage I wanted to just nap, but there was some stuff to be done.

All I've eaten today thus far is 2 black coffees, lots of water, and some Costco young thai coconut. Have the goods for a steak meal with hubby tonight. Son #1 is working, #2 has plans to be out.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I have found a regular massage is well worth the money for keeping my back and shoulders less tight.
                            Female 55

Comment

• Happy Birthday to me. I'm now 45, so have concluded that I'm halfway to being old . I have one Grannie still living who's 93 or 94, and doing well, so I'm thinking I may not be too far off base here.

Decided not to do a dinner out after all. There is a delivery service for some of the high end places, but decided to forgo that as well. Plus next week we're going to the East Coast, so will have plenty of good foods coming up. Picked up prociutto, spicy cured cacciatore salami, triple cream brie, gouda, havarti, dates, melon, berries, grapes, goat cheese and such, and will do a tapas of sorts. And there's always bacon for wrapping whatever demands a bit of salty smoked goodness. Put a saved bottle of one of my favourite wines to chill, a 2006 Pinot Gris from Grey Monk Estate winery in BC. I found my birthday cake: a gluten free bakery in town supplies one of the organic markets I occasionally hit up. Found a lovely looking little gluten free lemon cake, which I'm looking forward to. Also splurged on a tiny gluten free butter tart form the same bakery, it was truly lovely. I always loved a good pastry crust, and this one hit the mark splendidly.

Last night post massage, my bum felt pretty sore, lots of work done in that area, which sounds rather funny to me. Today it feels much better. I'm glad I splurged.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                                I'm now 45, so have concluded that I'm halfway to being old
                                HA! Love it!!!

Your dinner sounds like it will be lovely! Enjoy!!
                                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                                "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X