No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's dinner was salmon, rice and broccoli. Wine with hubby. Son #2 hasn't had news on the job interview yet, but it wasn't for certain that he'd hear today.

Errand day, restocking food and household stuffs. Even talked myself into going to the gym, though it was on the fence for a while. Couldn't hit my previous max weights on bench press and squats, but considering how I've been feeling the past 2 days, that's not a big deal. On those lifts I decreased the weight and did a few more sets instead.

assisted pullups 3 sets of 6 with less weight
    OHP dumbells 20 x 5, 22.5 x 5, 25 x 5 for 3 sets, 22.5 x 7
    squats 45 x 5, 95 x 5, 115 x 5 for 2 sets, 120 x 5, 115 x 5, 95 x 10
    bench press 45 x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 5 for 2 sets, 80 x 5 for 2 sets, 75 x 5, 65 x 8
    planks front 60 sec x 2, sides 60 sec

Today's eats:
    coffee
    2 egg omelet stuffed with lamb liver pate and cream cheese (yum!)
    a few pecans, a large strawberry

dinner will be striploin steak with the usual fixings plus baked potato. Getting started on that shortly now that the workout is done.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Back to feeling rather cruddy today. Fitful 8 1/2 hours of sleep, waking with this damn virus having moved down into the throat and chest. A sporadic barking loose cough on and off. And no energy. The sinuses are thus far unaffected, which is a good thing. Hubby, of course, is feeling better.

Found some discounted fresh halal chickens yesterday, so boiled them for a while, stripped all the meat off, and now I have a large slowcooker of bone broth on to simmer until tomorrow. Son #2 has been begging for creamy potato soup for some time, so tomorrow I can oblige. And lots of yummy broth for me too.

I've been eyeballing electric pressure cookers for a while now, which seem to be the bomb for bone broths. I could do large beef bones in a day, rather than 3 days with the crockpot. I've found one on Amazon, which I may be ordering soon.

Pork back ribs are slow roasting in the oven, generously dry rubbed. That and a salad will be dinner. Hubby is complaining we don't have enough vegetables lately, frankly, I've been eating them when I want, and not when I'm not interested, and it all seems fine with me. He says he'll even help making the salads, we'll see.

Found Meyer lemons in both the grocery and at Costco this week, thanks for the idea, Siobhan. They are juicy and tasty. A very refreshing change from the standard ones.

Eats so far today have been:
      coffee
      small piece of gouda at Costco (only sample item not gluten loaded)
      a banana, pecans
      buttered rice, one slice of deli roast beef.

Not very hungry today, which is not a bad thing, except I have lots of good food in the house! Even half of yesterday's steak remains, that will be for tomorrow's lunch.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hope you feel better soon.
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Aside from the quick trip to Costco and cooking, I pretty much sat on my ass doing nothing all day. How lovely.

Still no energy, obviously, but the cough and chesty thing is not as bad as this morning. Hopefully better tomorrow, as I have a lot of stuff to do.

The ribs were good. I ate half a rack and a small baked potato. No greens, I really didn't care, and not surprisingly, hubby wasn't bothered to make one for himself.

Only other accomplishment for the day was squeezing in 3 chinups on the bar in the basement. At least that's something.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I spoke too about no sinus involvement. Damn nasty f***ing viruses. Left the chest and tonight I'm all clogged and sneezing.

Gym today was less than the best workout, not surprisingly. I did the usual workout (minus planks as I wasn't interested) but kept the weights lower and did more reps instead. Felt pretty done in by the end.

Assisted pullups x 3 sets
            deadlifts 95 x 5, 95 x 8, 115 x 5, 115 x 5, 95 x 8, 95 x 8
            barbell OHP 45 x 5, 45 x 6, 50 x 5 for 2 sets, 45 x 8
            bench press 45 x 5, 65 x 5 for 2 sets, 70 x 5 for 3 sets

My chicken broth turned out the best flavor ever. Having the whole bird to add meatiness to the broth makes a HUGE difference. And the color is a lovely dark golden. I only used some of it for tonight's soup, as I'm greedy and want to save the bulk of the lovely broth for my own sipping, so the rest of the soup had clean ingredient commercial broth. It was still great and received rave reviews from my 3 guys.

Eats:
            coffee
            bone broth, green tea
            L: steak, mushrooms, a small potato, one square lindt 85% dark chocolate
            fruity herbal tea
            a few pecans
            D: bowl of lovely creamy potato soup - broth, potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, green peas, thyme, dill, cream.
            1/2 cup frozen blueberries with a few fresh strawberries in chilled coconut milk with cocoa.
            Last edited by Greensprout; 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Still under the weather. I had to sit in a nearly 3 hour meeting this morning, where I spent the whole time shivering, and fighting to not cough, sneeze or snort and blow my runny nose repeatedly. Made it through, but it was a struggle. At least I had the answers to the General's questions about our project. I snoozed for about an hour after work.

No gym, and not particularly hungry today. So I skipped dinner. Son #1 has come down with the same virus, haven't actually seen him today as he gets up after we leave and had work right after school. He left a note from sometime in the night that he was up feeling congested and headachy, so was going to skip his one late morning class and then go in after lunch for a test. I think he works till 10 or a bit later, hopefully he's doing a bit better.

Eats:
              coffee
              bone broth
              L: potato soup and a few leftover pork ribs
              tea
              8pm: banana chocolate mug cake topped with berry fruit spread and mascarpone
              a glass of wine

Of course, I'm getting the dry flaky nose thing going on from all the nose blowing. And for some reason, sore flaky skin just below the corners of my lips, which is highly annoying. Slathering on the coconut oil liberally, but not sure that it's helping much.

This is the first time in about a year that I've been sick. It sucks. Unfortunately, being primal does not quite mean being invincible. But I'm working on it.
              Last edited by Greensprout; 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Cold symptoms are waning. Still there, but not as bad. I'll live .

Was working furiously on some deadlines at work today, when at noon the power in the building went out. Auxillary power came on, but no computers. I lost the lengthy email I had drafted (or I assume it's lost, anyway), at least the start of the other document was saved. Managed to find some hard copies of the references I needed and did some research until by 230, the boss said go home. Leaving early is good, but I had expected to get both of these things done today, and now HAVE to complete tomorrow. No gym today.

Had taxes done tonight. We had a rather nasty surprise that I owe a considerable bit, as the return of my severance pay from my transfer from the Reserves to Regular force duty bumped me to the next tax bracket. Ah well. At least we have till the end of April to pay it. Still annoying.

Eats:
                coffee
                B: tin of wild salmon
                L: chicken breast, kerrygold cheddar, dill pickles, one square of Lindt 85%
                D: pulled pork on a bed of romaine with tomato, avocado & sour cream
                reese pb cups
                glass of wine
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hit my deadlines today, and the big one for the boss only needs a few small adjustments, which I can do tomorrow. All is good.

Been managing 7-7 1/2 hours of sleep nightly this week. I still need more. Getting to bed earlier remains the issue. Tonight it will happen, as I have to be up earlier and at work early for a briefing. Then 2 more briefings to attend for the boss will take up much of my day. Bah.

Wasn't feeling much up to the gym today, plus I was pretty tied up with the reports that were due. I suppose a few days off while getting over this cold nonsense won't have a huge impact.

Eats:
                  coffee
                  green tea
                  bone broth
                  L: pulled pork, baby carrots, apple with almond/coconut butter blend
                  D: veg/shrimp/scallop coconut curry over half a cup of rice. Very good. Hubby was impressed. All very quick to prepare with frozen packaged stir fry mixed veg and frozen seafood. And have leftovers for lunch.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Glad you made progress on projects. May need a couple of days off from the gym to recover from cold. Glad you are slowly feeling better.
                    Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                      I received my promotion today .
                      EXCELLENT!!!!

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                      Son #1 was presented with his own knife yesterday from his head chef, which is pretty cool.
                      Very cool!

This is the first time in about a year that I've been sick. It sucks. Unfortunately, being primal does not quite mean being invincible. But I'm working on it.

reese pb cups
                      You're "allowed" chocolate when you're sick

Any news on Son #2's job?
                      Last edited by winencandy; 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote
                      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse
                      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Not much going on here.

Yesterday lots of meetings at work, got stuff done, and all was well. Eats involved bone broth, leftover seafood curry with rice and a steak dinner with the usual fixins. And a few drinks.

Errands and groceries today, oddly, very little looked appealing in the meat category. I was looking, and looking hard, but the stuff just didn't look very nice. Will have to dig in the freezer and do some rethinking for the week's meals.

Son #2 finally had an update on the job interview. Son #1 says he spoke to the head chef, who did the interview, and said it went well, that #2 will be having a second interview soon with the general manager, but suggested #1 tell his brother to ditch the baggy clothes for the interview. Said he could look past it, but the GM will not. Funnily enough, he did choose his least baggy of the baggy style he wears for the interview. We'll make sure he's presentably for round 2. Apparently it's been quite busy at the restaurant, so there have been no new hires yet since the interview last week.

Son #1 is close to paying us back in total for his car loan. The original plan was 1 year, which would be end of June. After doing his tax return this week, he is on target to be totally paid off by end of April. Nice. We lent him $8k. The great think about his job, is that he has been banking all of his paycheques and using only his tip money for spending. Smart kid (about some things, anyway ) .
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Nice that the chef gave Son #1 the clothing tip for Son #2's 2nd interview.

Son #1 is close to paying us back in total for his car loan. The original plan was 1 year, which would be end of June. After doing his tax return this week, he is on target to be totally paid off by end of April. Nice. We lent him $8k. The great think about his job, is that he has been banking all of his paycheques and using only his tip money for spending. Smart kid (about some things, anyway ) .
                          What a great responsible young man!
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            Nice that the chef gave Son #1 the clothing tip for Son #2's 2nd interview.
                            Agreed. Hopefully it helps and he'll get the job. I told him I'll get him a proper pair of pants and shirt if nothing in the closet fits, as he'll need black pants for work if he gets hired. If not, he'll have something appropriate for the next interview.

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            What a great responsible young man!
                            Most of the time I think so too. He's well into university planning, and though he's applied for a lot of schools, it is looking like he's going to stay home and go to University of Manitoba, which is 15 min from our house. This way he can sort out what he really wants to do, and may take a year off after first year to travel. Much less expensive than going to another province, for sure. Good thing we've been saving for this since they were babies.

Hubby is away until Tuesday. I actually had much of the day to myself, as son #1 went to work at 130, #2 went to a friends place at 2, and hubby left at 3. #2 came home for a few hours and dinner, then out again. I did some housecleaning, 4 loads of laundry, made toasted coconut, mayo, PB pumpkin muffins. Not a bad day.

So close to spring, as far as the calendar says, but we're getting 15+ cm of snow overnight and expecting blizzard conditions tomorrow. That truly sucks. Hopefully son #2 will have the driveway cleared by the time I get home from work, but no doubt I'll have to shovel some in the morning so I can get out of the driveway.

I realized the chocolate desires of the past week are likely related to today's cramps and impending TOM. Whatever.

Random eats today:
                            coffee
                            B/L: 3 egg omelet with mushroom, spinach, tomato, cheddar
                            2 pumpkin muffins
                            a couple of dark chocolate pecan caramel things
                            small baked potato
                            crispy pork belly slices.
                            wine.

Looking forward to our trip to friends in Nova Scotia. We leave in 11 days.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Over 10 cm snow by the time I got up, and drifted in, so I had to do a quick driveway shovel of a path to get out for work. More snow through the day, so somewhere between 16 and 20 cm total (7-9 inches or so). Not nice at all.

Feels like I ate a lot today, though none of the quantities was particularly large.
                              coffee
                              B: 2 buttered pumpkin muffins, 2 slices crispy pork belly
                              green tea
                              bone broth
                              L: chicken salad (chicken breast, homemade mayo, scallions, radish, orange peppers)
                              4 handmade fresh Belgian chocolates (colleague had been in Germany for a conference last week)
                              D: roasted parsnip fries, roasted cauliflower, bit of browned ground pork with spicy seasonings, rice

Feeling bloaty from TOM. This is an odd month. Started late, crampy, not much flow. Hormonal changes, I suppose.

Made it back to the gym after only one halfhearted workout during last week's sickness. Today was good.
                              Assisted pullups
                              squats 45 x 5. 95 x 5 for 2 sets, 115 x 5 for 3 sets
                              OHP 45 x 5, 50 x 5 for 4 sets, 55 x 5
                              bench press 45 x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 5 for 3 sets, 80 x 5
                              planks front x 120 sec, sides x 60 sec
                              2 mile brisk treadmill walk (4.2 speed, 2% incline).
                              Last edited by Greensprout; 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I admire your dedication to exercise. I'm such a slug by comparison!
                                Female 55

Comment

Working...
                                X