No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did your hair smell eggy?? did you have to rinse it for ages to get it out... I just dont think I could do the egg rinse thing.

Comment

• Actually, no eggy smell at all. Just rinsed in the shower making sure the water wasn't too warm to 'cook' the egg, but not so cool that I had a cold shower. Came out with no more rinsing than shampoo. I was quite surprised, actually, was really wondering if I'd have enough time to actually wash it if I needed to afterwards, which I half expected, but I was pleased with the results. Just a nice smell of the rosemary oils once dry.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 3.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals.

B: IF (15 hours), black coffee
        L: 2 HB eggs with mayo, 2 small coconut pancakes with butter, one coffee with HWC
        S: bit of coconut oil. 1/4 cup macadamia nuts while prepping dinner as I was very hungry and grouchy, kind of tired.
        D: 3 SOG BBQ chicken thighs, creamed kale.
        S: cherries from organic box. Small bag, ate them all before anybody else saw them. Added a bit of creamed coconut.

Last night made the chocolate blueberry clafouti. Still need to work on the proportions, was very tasty, but should have been left in the oven longer, and probably used too many berries, as it was kind of watery on the bottom. Ate some with HWC. Also had a good bunch of blueberries while preparing this.

2. Avoid poisonous things.
        Yep.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace.
        Up just after 5 am for 45 min walking around the neighbourhood in my VFFs. Didn't realize sunrise is not not until nearly 6. Nice start to the day.

4. Lift heavy things.
        During the walk, 10 chinups (unassisted), 50 walking lunges, 20 bodyweight squats in the park.

5. Sprint once in a while.
        Nope.

6. Get adequate sleep.
        Not bad, almost 7 hours. Up early to walk.

7. Play.
        Meh. Need to work on this one.

8. Get adequate sunlight.
        5000IU Vit D.

9. Avoid stupid mistakes.
        Good.

10. Use your brain.
        Reading some more of GCBC.

Had a proposal from the boss at work. She wants me to backfill a management position which will have me VERY busy, have a steep learning curve on a bunch of HR stuff, will be challenging and a good step for me, but definitely reaching out of my present comfort zone. Will be for at least a year, maybe up to 2 (right now I have 18 months left on my current contract). There is a possibility of a promotion in this, but not necessarily can be done due to organizational red tape. I was taken by surprise, I do know that 2 years ago if asked to do that job I would have said "are you crazy??", but now am considering. Have a few questions to discuss tomorrow. Will be demanding on my time, and potentially quite stressful, but could also be a very good position for me. Hmmm. Food for thought, anyway.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 4.

B: Coffee with cream, 3 eggs plus 2 oz roast beef scrambled in ghee
          L: 3 chicken thighs, one cucumber dipped in homemade mayo.
          D: BAS, 2 chicken thighs and one drumstick.
          S: Might have some blueberries later with the last of the yummy greek yogurt.

Yep.

70 min walk through the park. VFFs are feeling really comfy now.

4. Lift heavy things.
          5 chinups during the walk.

Not today.

6. Get adequate sleep.

7.5 hours. Still woke up tired.

7. Play.
          ???

5000IU Vit D.

I accepted the new position at work. I think that's a good thing.

10. Use your brain.
          Starting to gather a bunch of details about the new job. Lots to wrap my brain around.

Found out a work colleague also has VFFs! Has had them for a year and loves them. Maybe he's the one my kid saw in the park, lol. We were chatting briefly as I was leafing through a booklet for diabetes education (he's an internal medicine doc) and I suggested that we might as well just insert "kill me now" into the paragraph recommending 200-300 g of carbs daily as a good level for a diabetic management diet. Interestingly, he agreed. We'll have to chat more. Of note, the booklet was produced by a drug company, of course.

Feeling tired this week, probably due to adding in the extra walking and activity, which has not been regular for some time. Should improve by next week, as long as I keep it up and get enough sleep.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 5.

B: IF
            L: IF
            D: ended 23 hr IF with "zuchetti" topped with grass fed beef tomato sauce and fresh parmesan. Some lovely shiraz. Ate late, so still feeling pretty full now. Maybe some berries later.

If wine is a poison, then no. But it's such a good poison. Unfortunately, I hadn't read the label on the organic pasta sauce before purchasing, which contained soybean oil. Why do they do that???

Pretty much no. Only work stuff, which was fairly minimal today.

4. Lift heavy things.
            Planned for tomorrow.

Not.

Get adequate sleep.
            7ish hours. Bit groggy waking up, but cleared quickly.

7. Play.
            Watched son #2's soccer game. I do enjoy that. Maybe almost counts as completely non-active play??

5000IU Vit D.

As far as I know.

10. Use your brain.
            Yes, work stuff. Brain can be useful at work.

Last night did add half a cup of blueberries and some creamed coconut even though I really wasn't hungry. Just wanted something, so went to bed feeling still too full. Consequently, it took me a long time to fall asleep.

Successful at holding off on wine, etc, until the weekend, so am really enjoying my wine tonight. Expecting a really warm weekend, and I took Monday off too, so anticipate lots going on outside, walking, sun, pool, and so on. Friends coming for dinner tomorrow, grilling steak, salad, and whatever looks good from the farmers' market in the morning. Kid soccer games both days too, so more outdoors in the sun time. Trying to even out some weird tan lines from a variety of tank tops. This year so far I have turned the most lovely shade of golden brown, with little effort, and absolutely no sunscreen. Strange, but in a good way. I've also received some nice compliments at work this week, like how 'good' I'm looking, great shape, even described as "tiny" by one person...I've never been called tiny in my life, and while I don't feel tiny at all, I admit to being pleased with the comment. I have some distance to go to where I'd like to be, but am obviously heading in the right direction.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              I've also received some nice compliments at work this week, like how 'good' I'm looking, great shape, even described as "tiny" by one person...I've never been called tiny in my life, and while I don't feel tiny at all, I admit to being pleased with the comment. I have some distance to go to where I'd like to be, but am obviously heading in the right direction.
              way to go girl!!!

Comment

• August challenge day 6 & 7.

7/8: B/L: coffee with HWC, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 2 chicken thighs.
                D: friends over; caprese salad, one grilled jalapeno stuffed with goat cheese, grilled asparagus, bacon wrapped filet steak neptune (bernaise sauce, scallops & shrimp), berries with coconut milk & grated 70% chocolate. Lots of wine.
                8/8: B: coffee with HWC
                L: 1 chicken drumstick, 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, spinach & goat cheese, cooked in butter.
                S: few macadamia nuts
                D: large homemade caesar salad with fresh bacon crumbles, couple oz of nitrite free ham (pastured pork). Some wine.

Lots of wine (and some port) yesterday. A bit of flour in the bernaise sauce (made by friend), didn't seem to have any ill effects today.

Not much.

4. Lift heavy things.
                No.

Not.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                6 hrs Fri night, but took a 2 hr nap Sat afternoon. 8 hours last night.

7. Play.
                Hanging with friends last evening. Today lounging and splashing around the pool.

Less yesterday, lots today. 4K IU Vit D.

Think so.

10. Use your brain.

Not really, but it's the weekend and I don't have to if I don't want to. And you can't make me.

Day 11 no 'poo. Still hanging in there, really not too bad, though the ends seem a bit dry. Maybe will have to try a touch of coconut oil on the ends. Some days the natural wave that has always been there turns out really curly, which I'm liking. So far I've done the baking soda rinse once with ACV, egg yolk with ACV twice, and I thing ACV alone once or twice. Scrub with water other days.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• your poo less experiment I am finding very interesting. I was thinking yesterday, (after I had just "washed" my own hair with just water and it looked greasy and yuk), that in the good old days (like before we were born) people used to brush their hair for long periods of time - think back to a period drama type tv show, and you always saw young women in front of their mirrors brushing their long locks!. Now I hardly ever brush my hair, usually just in the morning when I am blow drying it. Ocassionally when I am heading out to meet someone for lunch if I think about tidying myself up. Practically never in the evening before i go to bed. Perhaps there is something in the brushing to help spread the natural oils through the hair? What do you think!

Comment

• I've been the same for years. Brush when blowdrying, then add product and maybe a quick brush to get rid of any tangles before bed. Maybe. I remember the direction as a little girl to "brush 100 strokes before bed", which of course, I never had the patience to do. I have been doing so this week, just to see if it makes any difference. Even found a boar bristle brush a couple of days ago. It's true that in the 'distant' past it was more of a weekly thing to wash one's hair, rather than daily or even more when going to the gym.

Am still hoping that if I hang in there a bit longer, maybe another week or two, that I'll have the glorious locks that others seem to have found without shampoo. But really, it's not bad so far. Haven't revealed to hubby that I have been doing this, though I know he's noted the odd bottles of stuff in the shower, but then, he's used to me doing odd things. Don't think he's seen me bringing fresh eggs into the bathroom, hehe. Am using less hair product too, and currently have Aveda stuff that is perhaps less crappy than others, and at least is water based, so rinses out pretty well.

The experiment continues...
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Great job on the August Challenge so far! I'm also going 'poo-less, I should include that in my journal. I remember someone posted on a 'poo-less thread that she grew up in the 1950's, and even then it was very common for women to wash their hair only once a week. I used an egg the other day too, and was really pleasantly surprised at how well it worked and how easy it was to get out. Keep up the good work!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                      5'10" female, 38 y/o
                      Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                      WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                      DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                      EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

• Thanks, ommmmmaggie. I've been following your European adventure with interest. A bit jealous, I might add

August challenge day 8.

B: coffee with HWC. FF greek yogurt with 5 strawberries, few walnuts & coconut flakes.
                        S: 1 HB egg topped with freshly made guacamole. Few macadamia nuts.
                        D: late. Pile of tomato & cucumber topped with guacamole, bunch of slices of crispy pork belly.
                        Now having a rum & diet coke, yes, not so good, but the end of a good hot day and I felt like it.

Not really, if you count the rum, which I suppose I must.

70 min walk through the park. Assume now all walks are in the VFFs unless otherwise declared. Liking those KSOs.

4. Lift heavy things.
                        Few chinups, box jumps onto a park bench and some pushups while in the park.

Thought about it, but too damn hot today.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                        8.5 hours. Still off work today. Back to the grind routine tomorrow.

7. Play.
                        More pool time, plus son #2's soccer game.

Oh yeah. Hot & sunny, 31C with humidex up to 40. Walked in it, lounged on the deck, splashed in the pool, plus sat nearly 3 hours for soccer. I'm turning the most lovely tan shade of golden this year, haven't been this tanned since I can't remember when. And I've not used sunscreen ONCE yet. Booyah.

Check.

10. Use your brain.
                        Listened to another paleo podcast while walking. Some interesting stuff. Read a bit more GCBC.

Good week, though didn't completely hit all goals (ie sprint, had a bit more booze than ideal), but pretty good nevertheless. Scale down about 1 lb from last week. Will do a full set of measurements at the end of this week, and eventually share the results at the end of the month.

Downloaded the new PBF e book just a bit ago, looking forward to a good peruse. The timing is great for me, as I haven't really sorted out what I was wanting to do for a lifting routine, so this just may be the route to take.

Hair's a bit weird today, maybe due to the pool dunking over the weekend, though we have a salt water pool rather than chlorine. Time for a "wash" in the morning, might try the BS rather than the egg again with an ACV rinse and see what happens. Still can't really believe that it's been passable for public consumption after 12 days of no shampoo. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 9.

B: coffee with HWC, pastured farmer's sausage with 3 eggs scrambled in the fat.
                          L: slice of pastured ham, 2 organic cucumbers dipped in lots of guacamole.
                          S: 6 walnut halves and 4 almonds while prepping dinner.
                          D: small serving pork tenderloin medallions browned in bacon fat with a creamy fresh oregano & rosemary sauce, organic beets & beet greens with butter, organic carrots with butter and dill.
                          S: slice of blueberry chocolate clafouti with HWC. Added a bit more coconut flour this time, and baked for an additional 10 min, so finally the texture was much nicer. Very tasty. And a glass of chardonnay, it was sitting there open and looking lonely, after I opened the bottle to use some as a reduction for the sauce. Tempting fate, perhaps?? Ah well. It's delicious.

Chardonnay.

Not really. Too slow and infrequent to count.

4. Lift heavy things.
                          Did 50 bodyweight squats plus 3 sets of 5 full chest to the floor pushups in my office at lunchtime. Door closed, of course.

Once again, no.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                          Not so great, only 6 hours.

7. Play.
                          Browsed some shops after dinner. Shopping therapy?

Cloudy, plus at work. 5000 IU Vit D.

Good.

10. Use your brain.

Most definitely at work. And making up the pork recipe for dinner.

Did the Baking Soda wash with ACV rinse on the hair today. Looking nice and fresh. Not greasy whatsoever. Interesting.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 10.

B: coffee with HWC. Made a smoothie (frozen berries, protein powder, cocoa powder, celery, coconut milk & coconut oil), poured a big container to take with me and remembered half way to work that the glass I poured to drink was still full in the kitchen. Guess that's what happens when you get up 15 min late and are rushing around to get out the door. Full from coffee by the time I got to work, so saved the smoothie.
                            L: the aforementioned breakfast smoothie
                            S: few nuts (almonds & pecans) prepping dinner. Maybe less than 1/4 cup total.
                            D: slowcooker grassfed chuck beef roast with tomato & onion, steamed organic green beans with butter, some creamed kale.
                            Yes, I'm having a glass of cab merlot at the moment. Decided to chalk it up to the 20%, despite being Wednesday.

See above.

No, again. Suboptimal beginning to the week.

4. Lift heavy things.
                            Nothing here either.

Hmmm, not happening today.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                            5.5 hours. This needs some major improvement. No wonder I'm tired!!

7. Play.
                            Could use some.

Inside most of the day. 5000 IU Vit D.

Aha. Score one, at least.

10. Use your brain.
                            Yes, at work. Chose to turn off while on the way home.

Water rinse of the hair today, it is really soft and has lots of shine. Could this be the end of the "transition" phase?? Waves were a tad odd, but that's due to the rush job with the hairdryer this morning. I may truely be onto something here.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• August challenge day 11.

B: coffee with HWC.
                              L: 2 HB eggs, tuna with homemade mayo, 2 cucumbers & handful of cherry tomatoes (from my garden, yay) & radishes, dipped in more mayo
                              S: few nuts pre dinner (walnuts & macadamia). Need to stop doing that.
                              D: pastured pork chop BBQ with SOG sauce...amazingly yummy. Buttered asparagus & broccoli, bit of sauerkraut. I cut the fat off the kids chops, as I know they won't touch it, and ate that too. Gave me pain to watch hubby practically dissect his nice fatty chop and toss aside all the grilled fatty goodness, but I was full enough to not grab that too. Sigh.
                              And yes, I'm having a rum & diet coke, to remain consistent with the rest of the week.

See above.

Not.

4. Lift heavy things.

Not.

Bah, humbug.

6. Get adequate sleep.

6 hours. Yay for the upcoming weekend.

7. Play.
                              Amused myself browsing the aisles of Safeway and reminding myself just how much of the contents of those stores is completely inedible. Dismayed to see they no longer carry pork rinds. Another victim of CW.

Nope. 5000 IU Vit D.

So far.

10. Use your brain.
                              Until 4 pm, a lot. After 405, as little as possible.

Day 15 no 'poo. Impressed with shiny, non greasy, bouncy hair.

I'm reconsidering my weekly organic produce delivery thing. Considering what's available this time of year at the farmers' market, I'm not convinced the value is worth my money for the order. Not like I can't find organic produce in the stores at other times of the year for the most important items. Might give it another week and then cancel.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Ended up last night having a strange fast onset bout of extreme nausea. Had to dump the rum out, which is probably not a bad thing. Ended up hunting down a gravol and going to bed. Turns out it's that time of the month, I normally don't have nausea with that, but whatever. Felt mostly better in the morning, though crampy.

August challenge day 12.

B: coffee with HWC. Less than a cup of hubby's extra smoothie...good grief, he uses a lot of berries, I found it really sweet.
                                L: work luncheon thing at a German restaurant. I had caesar and cucumber and greek salads, beets, sauerkraut, weinershnitzle sausage, few bites of hungarian beef goulash. Few bits of fresh pineapple & watermelon with whipped cream for dessert. Not bad.
                                D: really not hungry, made grass fed beef taco salad for the family. Currently now making some bacon & eggs for me. With a glass of cab merlot. Because it's Friday.

Ummm...

No.

4. Lift heavy things.
                                No.

Not this either.

6. Get adequate sleep.
                                7 hours only as I went to bed feeling ill.

7. Play.
                                Not much.

Rainy. 5000 IU Vit D.

Think so.

10. Use your brain.
                                Only until 1430.

Planning to do the self assessment for PB Fitness tomorrow. Should be interesting. Farmers' market early, soccer game, errands, and so on. No real weekend plans.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X