X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy anniversary!
    Your dinner sounded wonderful.

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
    a couple of dark chocolate caramel pecan things (jumped into my basket at the bulk store)
    Don't you hate it when that happens??

I sort of lost it and threw the wine cork at his head...yeah, I really did, and wasn't particularly gentle about it. He wasn't impressed. Whatever.
    LOL!

we brought goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates, which were a huge hit.

shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, sausage, cheese, berries, raw cauliflower & celery, homemade maple fudge - perhaps 4 small pieces, a huge weakness, 2 after eight mints, one chocolate turtle. 3 very small glasses of wine. The host asked if I wanted to take some fudge home, but I had to decline, as I'd just eat it all
    I'd have eaten all that too (except for the shrimp and scallops - they make my hands swell and my throat itch)
    I haven't had bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates...since last Christmas

I'd rather save an indulgence for something I really want. No doubt I'll use that over the next week on better stuff than takeout pizza.
    Yup
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Off work today, but still on the BB. The stuff I'm coordinating is delayed due to the big winter storm heading from the US into Canada, so am staying on duty call till tomorrow afternoon. Not really a big deal. Just a delay in completion of the mission for 24 hours. Then I can really be on holiday .

Up in the middle of the night for a phone call and a few emails. Part of the job. Then out for lots of food shopping. I braved Costco, which was very busy, but less so at 1030 am than it would have been later in the day. A few other stores too. I think I'm pretty much done shopping, hubby & I are just doing stockings for each other, and we have the boys mostly sorted out. Ordered flowers last night for mom and MIL, MIL's were delivered today, and she called to let us know they are fabulous. I'm pleased. It's a lovely white rose classy arrangement, same for both moms. Haven't heard from my mom if she got hers, but they should have been delivered today.

Son #2 went to open interviews yesterday at a chain pizza restaurant for a dishwasher job. He things it went well, and is supposed to hear back on Monday. A job would be a nice Christmas present!

Eats:
      black coffee
      tsp of coconut oil
      macadamia nuts, later a few cashews, half a dozen raspberries
      D: 2 burger patties with Mark's roasted red pepper sauce. I must say: OMNOMNOM. And tomato and red onion and avocado.
      couple of rum & krisda soda
      2 pepperoni sticks.

We have wine to bottle tomorrow.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yesterday was a few more errands and picking up more food stuffs for Christmas. And the work stuff is all done, so call has been handed over and I'm "free" until New Year's eve. Yay.

Yesterday I nibbled a bit during the day: nuts, 2 pepperoni sticks, mandarin orange. Dinner of bacon wrapped beef tenderloin with sauteed mushrooms and peppers. We also bottled some wine yesterday, so some was consumed. Of course, after supper, I ate a load of fudge along with some chocolates...holy sugar crash!! Ended up falling asleep in the family room for nearly 3 hours instead of going to bed! Rather dumb of me to have brought that fudge home, but it was at least a smallish bag and there are only a few tiny pieces left.

Today will be prep of some foodstuffs for tomorrow's Christmas Eve Feast. And I'm going to go to the gym and get in some sort of workout. I'd like to do some movement daily through the holiday period in order to get back into the habit, not to mention helping to deal with any food indulgences.

Still working through some goals in my head for the upcoming year. They will be including lots of movement, and a return to W30 type eating in Jan, but will have to work through all the lovely cheeses purchased for Christmas first .
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Success on a visit to the gym. Since I had the time, I was there for quite a while, taking my time and enjoying it. I was surprised how busy it was for a Sunday at noon. A 12 min warmup of walking on the treadmill, then onto free weights. Bench presses, overhead presses, lots of squats, planks, and assisted pullups. 3 sets of each, or so. Then back to the treadmill with a podcast for a 3.5 mile 50 min brisk walk, followed by a bit of stretching. I'm glad I went. I'm feeling it now, and likely will feel it much more tomorrow. Should hit the hot tub tonight. It's a bit less appealing to head out to the deck when it's -22C like it is at the moment. But only 8 steps across the deck.

Aiming for hot yoga tomorrow. The place I go this week has a "bring 2 friends for free" promo, so I think I've convinced hubby to come with me. Almost had son #1, but he has backed out. Ah well.

Didn't get as much kitchen stuff prepped as I'd thought, but no big deal. Lots of time to get that done tomorrow.

Eats were random today. A few nuts. Coffee. Post gym a bowl of chicken broth with the roasted red pepper sauce, a sliced up burger pattie & baby arugula. Few more nuts, 3 small bits of fudge. Slice of gouda, spoonful of cream cheese. I have sliced pork belly frying up right now for a crispy few bites.

Now that we've passed the solstice, I'm awaiting the daylight being longer. Currently here, it's about 8 hours between sunrise and sunset. Boo. But spring will come. In 4 months or so, realistically speaking for this locale.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Wow. After 44 years, I've just had my first Christmas carolers come to my front door. A guy with a guitar and 2 ladies with beautiful voices. Very nice indeed. And in -25C temps. I offered them some chocolates, and a donation to the Phillippine flood relief fund they were collecting for. This city has a very large Phillippino community. My heart was duly warmed.

And the times, they are a changin'. Son #1 came home from his third 8 hour shift in a row at work, and we allowed him a shot of rum in his cup of eggnog. He's 17 and in for the night. Legal age here is 18, which he will be in May. They do grow up fast.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hubby survived hot yoga with me this morning, and actually liked it. He appreciated the stretching, he has issues with tight hamstrings and hips like me. Son #1 went to the gym to lift heavy instead of yoga.

Several hours in the kitchen prepping for the Christmas Eve feast. Son #1 came to help with prep, which was a nice change.
              A good lot of foods: assorted cheeses, salami, pate, shrimp, smoked oysters, olives, pickles, pickled beets, rice crackers, bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese, lamb meatballs, deviled eggs, nuts. All great.

After dinner, the 4 of us played a couple board games of Clue, which we haven't done in I'm not sure how long. Both boys seemed to really enjoy it, which was a great Christmas gift itself, as these days we don't seem to do a lot of things with all of us together. The boys always seem to be off doing their own things.

All boys are currently upstairs gaming, while I watch "Christmas Vacation". Just awaiting the arrival of the gifts from Santa's Elves. Every year they bring each of us a new book and jammies. Everybody looks forward to that, and I suspect it's something the boys will carry on with their own families one day.

Happy holidays to all.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• It was a good day.

A sleep in, opening stockings, and just relaxing for the day. Random nibbles of salami, cheese & nuts here and there. I made a small turkey for dinner, wasn't really planning on it (a nice hunk of beef would be my choice), but hubby and the boys insisted. So turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy (thickened with xanthan gum) for dinner. At least I now have a big pot of turkey carcass simmering for fresh bone broth on the stove tonight.

I did receive from hubby the new book "Practical Paleo", which looks pretty awesome, a few other short nonfiction books, some dark chocolate, small bottle of nice cognac, a pedicure gift certificate and new nice undies. A body shop bath set from son #1 and a gift card from son #2 for hubby and I to go to a movie. The Hobbit is on the agenda for this week.

Am considering the hot tub tonight, but it's another bloody -25C evening. Boo.

For tomorrow, maybe I'll brave the shopping crowds, although there's nothing in particular I need, so not sure about that. The gym should be visited. I'm feeling rather sore from the last 2 workouts, and didn't workout today.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas, GS and good eats! I must say I'm quite impressed hubby joined you for hot yoga! I have the same tight hamstrings/hips and find yoga most helpful. Maybe he'll join you regularly?

Enjoy your time off.

Comment

• I would have been even more impressed if son #1 had come along too! But this was good. Don't think he'll come regularly, as he's not interested in having to pay for a membership (or drop in fee).

Gym today was a miss, Mother Nature's holiday gift was flowing considerably too heavy for that to seem like a good idea. Tomorrow will be better, and I will go to the gym.

A few random nibbles again today, nothing too bad. My only shopping venture was to the tea shop, where I scored with a new teacup with stainless steel mesh infuser & lid, plus a sample box of a bunch of green/black/white teas, all for half price.

Supper will be steak and salad. Hubby was whining that he needs vegetables tonight. Really? Like you can't find some in the fridge if I haven't prepared them?? He wanted a BAS for dinner, it's still damn cold and a big old salad is not particularly appealing to me today, so I'll compromise on a side salad with STEAK. And mushrooms, of course. That's a necessity for steak here. At least for me. And so it shall be.

I've put my stockpot of turkey bone broth outside on the deck to cool before putting away. I'd better remember to bring it in before it becomes a solid block of ice . Wonder how long that would take at -22C?

Presently sipping on a particularly tasty Cosmopolitan, which I've not made in forever, and is not particularly primal. In my defense, it includes fresh squeezed lime and nonsweetened organic cranberry juice. I'm very much enjoying it.

Otherwise, a non productive, lazy day. And I liked it just that way.
                    Last edited by Greensprout; 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The bone broth cooling outside was not forgotten, and is rather tasty and put away.

A good sleep in once again, albeit a bit fuzzy until coffee was consumed, no doubt due to consuming a bit more wine last night than was a good idea.

I made it to the gym as planned, and had a great lifting day. Warmup treadmill walk followed by assisted pullups, squats, overhead press, bench press and planks. Back onto the treadmill for a short sprint workout, 4 sprint intervals, total of 20 min. All good, feeling it, which is a good thing. I may feel different about that tomorrow. Have a hot tub date with hubby shortly, which should be helpful.

Went see the Hobbit this afternoon, son #2 had given us a movie gift card, and we took him along (#1 is at work, and already went last week). Decent entertainment, I think the guys enjoyed it more than I. Avoided son's popcorn, and had only 4 peanut m&ms.

Eats:
                      black coffee, couple of macadamia nuts, cup of coconut water
                      pepperoni stick, chunk of brie, one chocolate caramel
                      4 peanut m&ms, a lara bar (tucked into my purse for the movie)
                      D: stir fry with chicken, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, celery, bell peppers, scallions, kale, sauced with tahini, srircha, coconut aminos, 5 spice, garlic, red pepper flakes, touch of toasted sesame oil. Very nice, it was a variation of curlygirl's sesame dragon chicken.
                      a NorCal margarita, glass of wine. Might be cava for the hot tub.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• The hot tub was very relaxing in a light snow last night, it turned out to be with prosecco, rather than cava. Nice. I'm feeling yesterday's workout. Thought about treadmill walking today, but it remained a thought only.

Random eats again today, I probably should get back onto a regular eating schedule. Should happen by Monday, when I head back to work.

A few errands, and lots of online browsing of paleo related stuff. Still working on what my approach is going to be for the next while. I'm making a list of goals for the upcoming year. Goals, not resolutions. That makes more sense to me. And it probably will include ending this very long journal of what seems to have become a random assortment of tedious repetition. Time to start anew.

Eats:
                        black coffee, macadamia & cashew nuts
                        a pepperoni stick, few more macadamias
                        D: 2 grilled pork chops with a pile of steamed broccoli with ghee & garlic. Simple and tasty.
                        Rum & krisda cola.

I have lamb shanks thawing, must find a good recipe for braising for the weekend. And make more lamb liver pate, I have several packages of local lamb liver in the freezer. That will be good for work lunches next week.

I've been staying up way late every night this week, accompanied by a decent quantity of alcohol, and sleeping in very late. Must reset this over the weekend. I know well that the drink does nothing to get me to my goals, yet it's too easy to say "hey, I'm on holidays, so why not?". I know why not. Just have to remember that.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                          Still working on what my approach is going to be for the next while. I'm making a list of goals for the upcoming year. Goals, not resolutions. That makes more sense to me.
                          And me too. Although this will be the 2nd year where I didn't achieve a pull up.

And it probably will include ending this very long journal of what seems to have become a random assortment of tedious repetition. Time to start anew.
                          Still here??

I'm not sure how I feel about ending my old journal and starting another.

I've been staying up way late every night this week, accompanied by a decent quantity of alcohol, and sleeping in very late. Must reset this over the weekend. I know well that the drink does nothing to get me to my goals, yet it's too easy to say "hey, I'm on holidays, so why not?". I know why not. Just have to remember that.
                          +1
                          Although my reset won't happen till Tuesday...
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            And me too. Although this will be the 2nd year where I didn't achieve a pull up.
                            True, but were you working at it?

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            Still here??
                            Yes.

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            I'm not sure how I feel about ending my old journal and starting another.
                            It's been on my mind on and off. I feel like I've been repeating myself ad nauseum for 43 pages. Fresh start seems appropriate.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

True, but were you working at it?
                              For the 1st 1/2 of each year
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Presently sipping on a particularly tasty Cosmopolitan, which I've not made in forever, and is not particularly primal. In my defense, it includes fresh squeezed lime and nonsweetened organic cranberry juice. I'm very much enjoying it.

cosmo's, my fave drink!!!

I like your journal the way it is... if you start a new one, you'll still say the same stuff anyway it's what we do!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X