No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A decent amount of sleep, but still feeling sluggish today. Moderate productiveness at work. And yay, I took a vacation day for tomorrow, so done for the week. I have a hair appointment, other random things needing doing, and hubby's work Christmas party tomorrow night. The boys happen to have the day off school tomorrow, but no doubt they'll be sleeping late so don't impact my stuff. I didn't get a chance to get my bloodwork drawn for the thyroid levels today, but can do next week.

Eats:
    coffee
    B: greek yogurt with frozen berries, a vegan bar with dates, rice proteine & some agave left in my bag from my trip
    L: half a chicken breast (skin on) with some buttered rice, cup of bone broth
    6 walnut halves, tsp of nutella
    D: 2 pork loin chops fried in bacon fat with a white wine creme fraish reduction, bacon fat roasted brussel sprouts. Mmmmm.
    Rum & krisda.

I've been thinking about a banana chocolate mug cake all week, but haven't needed it enough in the evening to make it. It might be tonight.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
      I took an online break while here. Popped online a few times the first few days, but haven't been on for over a week. I see lots to catch up on in the journals. A break can be a very good thing I think.
      I agree

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
      It all looks very good, but have to wait to get confirmation of all this. I'll be thrilled if it all works out, and hubby is happy about it all, too. Looks like all that time spent on courses over the past couple of years is about to pay off. Yay, me.
      Excellent!

so we'll both be home till at least mid Jan, it seems, which is very great.
      Nice

pralines into the office. My nemesis. I had 2 1/2. Major sugar buzz.
      Very good keeping it to 2 1/2!

I've been thinking about a banana chocolate mug cake all week, but haven't needed it enough in the evening to make it. It might be tonight.
      Sounds interesting. How do you make it?
      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
      "Moderation sucks." Suse
      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
        Sounds interesting. How do you make it?
        Paleo Musings: Dark Chocolatey Goodness the Paleo Way Instead of a mug, I put it into silicone muffin cups, which makes 3 very full ones, and split them with hubby. Not sweet enough for the boys' tastes.

OMG, I went to a Barre class today. The hot yoga studio I sporadically go to had an free intro class, as they're introducing this in January. When I was done, I knew I'd feel it tomorrow. 3 hours later, I'm really feeling it now. Everywhere. I may not be able to move out of bed in the morning!
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Thank you,
          and
          OUCH!

I hope it's OK in the morning
          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• The old bod didn't actually feel too bad today. Definitely a bit heavy, mild muscle soreness all over, but not bad. Just a thankgodyou'vefinallygotoffyourbuttandmovedthemusc lesonceagain sort of feeling. Hit the gym at noon for a brisk 3 mile walk on the treadmill. No outdoor activity for me today, it was -36C with the windchill this morning. Ugh. Have I mentioned that I no longer care for winter?? At least not Canadian prairie type of winters. Ah well. 4 more winters and perhaps we'll be living somewhere else.

Son #1 had a little accident driving home from school today. It was very cold and icy, he slid into another car which in turn slid into another car. All damage seems very minor, there's a tiny crack on his front bumper. All reported to insurance and he has the assessment booked in 2 days. Not happy that he expects to be responsible for the deductible, but we'll see how it goes. There were a crapload of accidents around the city today due to road conditions. And nobody was hurt, which is the biggest concern.

Our anniversary is a week from today, so I've booked us for Friday night into an upscale restaurant for dinner. Tried for Sat, but they were full. I suppose that's to be expected this time of year.

I've been reasonable good on foods the last few days, although the weekend did involve a lot of wine. Sweets were only a mediocre slice of cheesecake (minus crust) at the party on Friday, and one small pack of peanut butter cups. Otherwise all primal, and the quantities haven't been excessive. Those few pounds are still sticking thus far, not surprisingly, due to wine and sugar. Like I don't know better. I'll sort it out. Sometimes I'm just slow to get back on program.

Yesterday I make my lovely pureed squash soup, which was nomalicious. And baba ganoush. Very garlicky. And superb. And roasted chicken leg quarters. Juicy and lovely, too.

Today's eats:
            black coffee
            L: squash soup garnished with scallion/cilantro/bacon/fresh lime squeeze, baba ganoush with celery, leftover steak
            some pecans (not too many, but have been nibbling since buying them on Saturday)
            D: 2 romaine leaf taco wraps - grassfed taco seasoned beef, cheddar, avocado, sour cream. A small dinner, wasn't that hungry.
            A rum & krisda.

Aiming for regular gym visits this week, and keeping food quantities reasonable. It's too easy to eat more than I need if not paying attention.
            Last edited by Greensprout; 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              No outdoor activity for me today, it was -36C with the windchill this morning. Ugh. Have I mentioned that I no longer care for winter?? At least not Canadian prairie type of winters.
              Brrrrr
              Winter hasn't hit here yet. T-shirt and thin leather jacket weather.
              Not that you want to hear that

Son #1 had a little accident driving home from school today.

And nobody was hurt, which is the biggest concern.
              I'm glad everyone was OK

Yesterday I make my lovely pureed squash soup, which was nomalicious. And baba ganoush. Very garlicky. And superb. And roasted chicken leg quarters. Juicy and lovely, too.
              Hmm, I've still got about 10 squash in my entry. I should make some soup too.
              I've never made baba ganoush. Is it easy?

keeping food quantities reasonable. It's too easy to eat more than I need if not paying attention.
              I agree
              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• For baba ganoush, I've used this recipe a few times: Baba Ganoush - The Best In The World! Recipe - Food.com - 67570. It's pretty amazing. No need to roast the eggplant on the grill either, I've done it in the oven and it's just fine. Throw the lot into the food processor, and 3 minutes later you are nomming deliciousness. This last batch is rather garlicky, I like it, but it was mint worthy for an at work lunch. Hubby said he had to brush his teeth at work after lunch .

I got rather hungry by late morning, so decided to eat my lunch and hit the gym at the end of the workday. A good plan until I saw a late text from son #1, who had stayed home today with nausea and stomach cramps (being in a secure building, I can't have my cell phone while at work). Turns out he had a major episode of things coming out of both ends, accompanied by horrible belly cramps mid morning. Didn't manage to reach either of us by phone either, apparently he didn't have either of our current extensions on his phone. He does now. So rather than the planned workout, I came home to be nurse mom. Poor guy, he managed to stay reasonably hydrated, but looks and feels like crap. He's presently asleep on the sofa in the mancave, with a good dose of gravol onboard. I think I'd better disinfect every surface he may have touched today, just in case.

Had a parent conference with son #2's tech school teacher today, he's had issues again with attendance (not getting out of bed and getting to class too many times), but has come up with a contract to address this and is doing better. Of course, we thought son would come with us, he didn't realize that, a small disagreement ensued, son and hubby each got pissed off, and now, as usual, the kid has let it keep him angry all evening. Sigh. Get over it already. I chalked it up to misunderstanding/unclear communication, but he feels attacked when he thinks he's got on with doing what he needs to be doing. His teacher agrees he was concerned, but now sees a spark and interest. I hope it works out. Of course, kid commented (in his rant) that he doesn't even like the program anyway...I chose not to respond to that, as I've seen otherwise in his conversations with me the past week.

Eats:
                black coffee
                L: squash soup with the usual garnishes, chicken leg quarter plus one extra small drum.
                oolong tea, one lindt dark chocolate truffle handed out by a colleague
                2 small handfuls of pecans
                chicken leg quarter
                maybe 1/4 rice, while prepping for sick son #1
                2 glasses of wine.

Aiming for the gym tomorrow. And I may want breakfast, as dinner was just a nibble. Or maybe I'll fast till after a workout. I have no consistency these days, which is starting to piss me off. I know better. Like before bed last night, I ate more pecans dipped in nutella. WTF? Really? Yes, really.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Thanks for the link.
                  Double son trouble that sucks. I hope #1's feeling better soon and #2 gets over his anger sooner

Oh, and one must ALWAYS eat dark chocolate Lindt truffles handed out by colleagues

Pecans dipped in nutella...hmm...I have almonds and macadamia nut butter...
                  Don't know if I should thank you or not
                  "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                    Pecans dipped in nutella...hmm...I have almonds and macadamia nut butter...
                    Don't know if I should thank you or not
                    You probably shouldn't.
                    I ate the remainder of the pecans after work, but straight up, no nutella involved. When I bought them, I had some idea in mind for their use, at least I think I did, but whatever that was, I've forgotten. Another reminder that I shouldn't be having nuts around as they're too easy to grab a huge calorie load from. Though I am considering making dark chocolate macadamia nut bark with sea salt for Christmas. There was an MDA blog post recipe for this last year.

Son #1 had a good solid sleep, and was feeling human this morning. Son #2 is no longer pissed off. Hubby ranted on to me about his frustrations with son #2, in a way that I don't like, but then again, perhaps he has a point that if he can't say this stuff to me, who can he say it too? It just makes me feel bad. Maybe I just need to nod and be the supportive wife when he does this. But that's pretty hard to do.

I had a roast thawed for the slow cooker, but didn't have time to throw it in this morning, got up a bit later, and it was cold, snowy and icy, so ended up late for work anyway due to an extra long commute. So dinner was a throw together kind of thing for the lot of us.

Eats:
                    black coffee
                    L: squash soup, chicken leg quarter plus one thigh.
                    green spiced mint tea
                    pecans. 4 slices hot genoa salami
                    D: bit of baba ganoush on celery, 1 slice bacon, 3 eggs scrambled in lard with pastured cracklings. Yummy.
                    Wine.

As usual, hubby shuddered at my cracklings. Sigh. At least I don't have to share. Son #1 says they put cracklings into the new menu item beef dip sandwich at his work. Son #2 just laughed that I bought fat.

Tomorrow at work we have this annual thing at the mess. Get into dress uniform, the officers host the senior NCMs for festivities, next year the opposite. An assembly line of shaking hands and exchanging goodwill, then lots of finger foods, most of which are very non primal. Usually there's at least shrimp and some raw vegetables. Sometimes cheese and smoked salmon. The sweets are usually very unappealing. I think I'll aim for fasting till then, eating some stuff that is on plan, then tuck in to a grass fed slow cooked beef roast for dinner.

I really should get into some holiday planning. We've not done any yet. Of course, it's just us, no extended family, and the teenagers are of course much into their own thing than family stuff.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• When I went to the baba ganoush page I saw a recipe for Ethiopian style sweet potatoes...and I have all the ingredients...it is in my future. (Recipe also has lentils. There will be no lentils.)
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Ethiopian style sweet potatoes, I'll have to look for that one.

I didn't fast today, had a mid morning breakfast. The food at the afternoon event was not nearly as good as last year, no seafood, and the hot foods were all breaded or doughy type things. I "caught" hubby with fried mozzarella sticks and a piece of chocolate cake. Whatever. He's a big boy, though I had a giggle that he looked quite guilty to have been spotted, saying "you weren't supposed to see this!"

I seem to be continuing to have some allergy symptoms, the sort I used to have preprimal associated with spring and summer. Itchy, watery eyes, mostly. A real annoyance when wearing mascara, which I do daily, unless just hanging around the house. The days I've taken an antihistamine it's better, so I may have to go back on them regularly for a bit. Haven't had to be doing that for over 2 years. Not sure what's different now.

Had to stop at walmart tonight, and nearly picked up a big bag of Reese peanut butter balls. The bag was in my basket, but I put it down and took only the mini sized single serve pack. Not ideal, but not as bad as it could have been.

Eats:
                        black coffee
                        greek yogurt with berries, walnuts & coconut
                        at the event: cheese, few raw veg, couple bits of pineapple and a strawberry, a few cheap milk chocolates
                        D: yummy grass fed slow cooked beef roast, baked sweet potato, roasted brussel sprouts
                        single serve small pack of reese pb minis
                        wine

Tomorrow night is our anniversary dinner out, I'm looking forward to it. Might get the Christmas tree on Saturday, and Sunday has us going to hubby's boss's place for an afternoon open house.

edit: had a wanting for something. Salty won out over sweet, with 3 slices of bacon I'd stashed for breakfast and forgot about this morning. It was just what I needed.
                        Last edited by Greensprout; 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM. Reason: evening snack
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• A few of us took time away from the office midday to deliver Christmas hampers to 5 homes in the city. Boxes of food and frozen turkeys. The apartment buildings we went to were pretty shabby and in disrepair, as did many of the people we saw inside the lobbies. The recipients were very pleased and thankful for the hampers, so job well done. It was rather satisfying to be a part of that. Reminds me that I ought to be more involved in volunteer activities. I have thought about the food bank, but I think I'd be very sad about all the processed grain based foods. Better than none, if that's the option, but people have to get by.

Got through the day with black coffee, 2 HB eggs, 3 lindt chocolate truffles and herbal tea. Last bits of the roast beef (not much left at all) and some almonds after work.

Anniversary dinner out was fantastic. I started with a splurge on a cosmopolitan, and one glass of wine with dinner. Weren't going to share a bottle when hubby was driving. It was a 5 course meal, with 5 choices for each course. My dinner was: Roasted Manitoba Beet Salad - Spiced Bacon, Pine Nuts, Cranberry Port & Sage Chutney; Salmon Tartare - Jail Island Salmon, Crème Fraîche & Lemon Caviar; a tiny orange white chocolate sorbet for a palate cleanser; Lamb Shank - Slow Braised Shank, Roasted Butternut Squash Purée & Fennel Pistou with a slice of seared fois gras added on top; creme brulee for dessert with French press coffee. Portions not huge, artfully and expertly plated, and I think I'll go back there again. The chef changes the menu monthly, which can be perused online. And reasonably priced for the quality of the food for a special meal, $55 for the 5 courses.
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• You're making me hungry! That sounds fabulous!
                            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• A decent weekend. Saturday was a good sleep in, followed by dodging the crowds in the grocery and bulk food stores. At a lovely local independent bulk store, I had a sample of organic coffee done with the aeropress. It was very good. I may consider getting one of those. Hubby picked up the Christmas tree, too late to get a Fraser fir, so he got a balsam fir instead. It's a bit of an odd tree, sort of short and fat around the bottom. I think it's a bit big for the space it's going in, but hubby was singing it's praises all day. It smells great.

Saturday's eats:
                              coffee
                              creamy turmeric tea (recipe from MDA last winter)
                              a couple of dark chocolate caramel pecan things (jumped into my basket at the bulk store), couple slices of hot genoa salami
                              most of a T-bone steak with red wine reduction and garlic/rosemary butter, mushrooms, 3 small baked potatoes
                              wine

I got annoyed at hubby last night, he had had a good few more drinks than me and was getting a bit silly and going on and on about stuff, to the point that I found it very annoying to the point of being obnoxious. I sort of lost it and threw the wine cork at his head...yeah, I really did, and wasn't particularly gentle about it. He wasn't impressed. Whatever. I suppose it was rather uncalled for, but he just wouldn't shut up! I had tried other means first, believe me. Anyway, I apologized, and life goes on. He felt rather fuzzy this morning, I'm not surprised.

Today I threw a pot of chili on in the slow cooker, which turned out nice and spicy. Off to hubby's boss's for a holiday open house for the afternoon, we brought goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates, which were a huge hit. Even the lady there who's a dietician commented on how delicious they were and "healthy" too, haha. Recipe requests came in, so I've emailed it to hubby's work so he can distribute tomorrow. Son #1 gobbled a few too, before we left. Lots of nibbles there, I don't think I'll have dinner, but likely a snack or so at some point. I kind of had a lot of sugar, so don't need much more.

Eats:
                              coffee
                              3 small baked potatoes with garlic herb sea salt
                              at the open house: shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, sausage, cheese, berries, raw cauliflower & celery, homemade maple fudge - perhaps 4 small pieces, a huge weakness, 2 after eight mints, one chocolate turtle. 3 very small glasses of wine. The host asked if I wanted to take some fudge home, but I had to decline, as I'd just eat it all

Tonight I will be self indulgent in watching the finale of Survivor. Sad yes, but I will thoroughly enjoy myself.

This week at work, we are allowed to wear regular clothes rather than uniforms all week. A lovely change, but it means I have to think about what to wear, as well as have my hair presentable, rather than pulled back in the regular obligatory bun. Hmmm. But I'll be able to get out at lunch to do some shopping. That's a bonus. I don't like to do that in uniform.

Oh, and today is our 21st anniversary. Not too bad. Not even halfway to the end yet!
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• 1Eating reasonably, aside from some continued sugar intake. Bah. I was doing some Christmas shopping after work yesterday, hadn't eaten much all day and went deliberately into the candy store to buy some of the fresh maple walnut fudge. And they were out of it. That's the only flavor that really appeals, so I left emptyhanded. Well, except for some peanut butter balls from another store. There are still a few left.

One more work day, then I'm off until the 31st. Unfortunately, on Friday I will be tied to my work blackberry, as I am still covering duty call for stuff, and there are things on the go. Shouldn't have to run into the office unless there are problems, so keeping fingers crossed. And tomorrow is holiday festivities at work, so not much work will be going on. The office gang is ordering pizza, and were canvassing today for topping selections. I replied "none, thanks, I'll bring my own lunch", to which I was told there is gluten free crust available, but I'd rather save an indulgence for something I really want. No doubt I'll use that over the next week on better stuff than takeout pizza.

Tonight I made a fabulous mushroom cream sauce for a pork loin roast. Sauteed mushrooms, bit of butter, turkey stock, heavy cream, garlic, onion, thyme. Oh, my, it was good. And roasted cubed potatoes in bacon fat. So my leftover lunch for tomorrow will be oh so much better than gluten free pizza.

As for activity this week, not so much. I did get a copy of Starting Strength from Amazon last week, so will be reading through that over the next week. Learning more about form could be a good thing. And I've asked son #1 about helping me with deadlift form, so I can do them effectively without risking my low back. I've felt twinges in the areas I've had muscle strain there previously when last doing them and upping the weight. I'd like to get past that.
                                Last edited by Greensprout; 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X