No announcement yet.

Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We made it home yesterday, after a fantastic week. More later on the trip.

As mentioned previously, we ate one meal each day, which was rather large and indulgent. No grains, a few desserts, a couple of handmade fresh corn tortillas, a bit of polenta, small bit of risotto twice. Lots of wine, a couple of margaritas. Hubby had beer and ate more food. I was pleased to see that this morning the scale showed only 4 lbs up from the low of the day we left (142.4, lower than end of W30), some of which I have no doubt is related to the higher carb intake, so that should go quickly with resuming lower carb this week.

My mom is still here for a couple more days, the boys gave her no trouble while we were gone, which is good. They were spoiled with her cooking breakfast every morning before school . That trend will not be continuing, as they're not out of bed when I leave for work, silly things.

Today was our Thanksgiving dinner. I had ordered a free range fresh turkey of about 15 lbs, but apparently they grew "big" this year, and the smallest one was just over 21 lbs!! Good grief! Son #1 did a few overhead presses with it. It roasted lovely, accompanied by gravy thickened with tapioca flour (worked very well in the tasty drippings), cauliflower mash, sweet potato mash, broccolini, and mashed potato for the boys. A great meal, and what seems to be 12 tons of leftovers. The carcass is already simmering in my hugest stock pot, the broth should be amazing.

Ah, one more day off, then back to reality and work.

Oh, of all stupid things, it seems our washing machine is broken. Front loader isn't spinning. That happened just as we got home. A call is in to a repair place, but of course being a long weekend, not likely to hear back before Tuesday, and hopefully they can sort it out quickly. And hopefully not too expensive.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• This morning, 2 of the post vacation 4 lbs has vanished overnight, this after Thanksgiving dinner, heheheh. The rest should go with dropping the holiday quantities of wine. I expect the huge amount of walking we did all week helped as well.

I had a late breakfast (after 12pm) of 3 eggs plus 5 thick slices of bacon, and strangely enough, I'm hungry. Might go find something fat to nosh on. Dinner for today will be the obvious leftovers, might make some sort of pumpkin custard, as I wasn't interested in the sweet pumpkin pie (even the filling only) that mom picked up for her and son #1. #2 has never liked pie, and dislikes pumpkin even more. Hubby did have a slice, minus the crust, with maple syrup sweetened whipped cream. I settled for berries and cream for my own late dessert.

A lazy day today, cool and wet. Not looking forward to heading back to work tomorrow. Ah well. At least I should get in the gym time this week, though likely I'll have to forgo some if the washing machine repair guy can come this week. Hubby will be out of town, so it will have to be me. Good thing I have a flexible boss.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Welcome back!
        Sounds like you enjoyed Vegas
        (but then again, who doesn't?)
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
          Been rocking the bikini at the pool and feeling good about it.
          That is probably the best quote EVER!

hi, its me again....

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
            That is probably the best quote EVER!

hi, its me again....
            Why thank you, and it's good to know you're still alive

I was up far too late last night, which seems to happen after a week off. As in after midnight, and after a few wines. Couldn't fall asleep for what seemed like ages, then woke all sweaty around 5 am, managed to doze a bit till the alarm started pestering and hubby got up at 6. Bah. I had been getting 8-9 hours of sleep for the past 10 days, other than our early flight day coming home. Didn't feel as bad as expected today, but certainly could have been better.

Left work early afternoon to meet the washer repairman. He's pretty sure it's the inverter, or something like that, or less likely a circuit board thing. Is going to price out the parts, and let me know tomorrow. Then depending on how much, decision making on whether to fix or replace the damn thing. It's only just over 6 years old, we certainly expected to have it a while longer. So not sure yet when I'll have a working washer. Just in case, I looked up laundromats (which would REALLY be a pain in the ass), and apparently, there are NONE in this part of the city. You'd think in a city of over 700,000 people, there should be one not far, but alas, no luck for me. There is one near work, so if I get desperate, there is someplace 15-20 min away.

No gym today due to the early work departure. Awoke kind of hungry, but coffee settled that. Decided to take a break from turkey for dinner, so made up a sort of hash type thing out of pastured ground pork and lamb, plus leftover roast beef, the beef drippings, mushrooms, broccoli & spices. Served ours on spinach, the kids with rice. Tasted pretty decent.

Had a dispute with son #2 this afternoon, nothing serious at all, I think we were both a bit tired and grouchy, and I thought he was acting like a 6 year old (which I kept to myself). Whatever. We did talk a bit later, I didn't want to argue. Typical self centered teenager. Generation Y...why me? why should I have do "insert anything mature and responsible here" and all that nonsense.

Eats:
            B: black coffee
            chai mate tea
            L: turkey & primal gravy, cauliflower mash with boursin
            D: mixed meat hash over spinach
            snack: berries with whipped cream with a drop of stevia and toasted coconut flakes. YUM.

Speaking of toasted coconut, I used the oven today to do this, rather than a pan on low on the stove. I'll never do it on the stove again. Takes forever, stirring & tossing a lot. In the oven, 350F, 5-7 min, a tiny shake or two, and BAM, done. Perfect.

Hubby's away for the rest of the week. Then 3 days next week, 4 days the week after, and some more the next 2 weeks. I have to be away for 2 weeks mid Nov to early Dec. Then he has a couple more short trips in Dec. So sort of like, "well, honey, it was a lovely holiday...see you at Christmas...". Good grief.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• you went to Vegas. Ahhh jealous. When are you going to organise your trip to the south pacific??? Mind you when am I going to organise a trip to canada. hmmm perhaps I should put that on my list for the next big trip. What time of year do you recommend.

Comment

Speaking of toasted coconut, I used the oven today to do this, rather than a pan on low on the stove. I'll never do it on the stove again. Takes forever, stirring & tossing a lot. In the oven, 350F, 5-7 min, a tiny shake or two, and BAM, done. Perfect.
                I should try that.

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                Hubby's away for the rest of the week. Then 3 days next week, 4 days the week after, and some more the next 2 weeks. I have to be away for 2 weeks mid Nov to early Dec. Then he has a couple more short trips in Dec. So sort of like, "well, honey, it was a lovely holiday...see you at Christmas...". Good grief.
                That makes my one week without my Farmer (moose hunting) seem like nothing!
                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Still up late last night, and up later tonight than planned. Yes, need to get back on track. I indulged in a couple of recorded episodes of Survivor (yeah, silly indulgence, let it go...) and some wine.

No workout, just didn't happen, no time at work, and doing other stuff later. Things are good with son #2.

Eats:
                  black coffee
                  pu'reh tea
                  L: tin of wild salmon with green olives, dill pickles, evoo, half an avocado
                  green ginger tea
                  D: soup- turkey broth reduced, with shredded cabbage, diced turkey, shredded spinach, and 2 egg yolks. Yum
                  later: frozen wild blueberries with whipped cream and 2 drops of stevia
                  Wine
                  hungry later...big hunk of raw organic emmenthal cheese. Pinch of toasted coconut (I forgot about it with the berries!)

As for the washer, the part the repairman thinks it needs is on order, and he'll call when he gets it. I'm hoping tomorrow, as I can't leave work due to a training session on Fri, but he can do on Sat if necessary. If he's right, it should be under $300, so not so bad. Better than a new appliance.

Suse, as for time of year to visit Canada, well, that depends on what you like, and where you want to go. It's a rather huge place. I'd suggest spring, fall or summer, unless you are into winter sports. Maybe I'll just have to come your way! NZ is definitely on our list of places to get to. Another few years yet until we can travel as much as we are wanting. Need to get these manchildren sorted out first. On the right track, just not quite there yet.

WnC, yes, a week without the man is pretty normal for me. It's mostly him on the road, but of course, I've done my share of time away too, and for longer periods. I guess it's just what you get used to. When I hear others thoughts of being distraught about a couple of days away from their partner or kids, I think "seriously??", not really a judgement, just different from my reality. The year I deployed to Afghanistan, I spent a total of about 3 months away for training and then 7 months overseas. The boys were 10 and 12 at the time, and hubby had a very busy job. And I had 3 weeks away for some training when son #2 was 7 months old, #1 had just turned 2, and hubby had to deal with the whole moving thing while I was gone. Just different perspectives. Have to deal with the hands one is dealt, or something profound like that.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Feeling a bit blah today. Headache on and off, slight sinus congestion, watery eye. I feel like I may be on the verge of a bit of a cold or something like it, which is rather annoying. Think I'll load up on Vit C and D tonight, I've been pretty minimal on supplements lately, though of course, the D wasn't needed in Vegas. What I do need is a good night's sleep, which I once again didn't do last night as I ended up staying up way later than planned.

Tomorrow is an education day for work, and at the clinic where I used to work. The change will be nice. Might IF for the day, but am undecided at this point.

Eats:
                    black coffee
                    pur'eh tea
                    L: 2 cups turkey broth, turkey with gravy, slaw of shredded cabbage/radish/cucumber with evoo & balsamic. It was nice, and probably more so since I added the oil & vinegar before it sat in the fridge all night. Coconut oil/macadamia butter/toasted coconut thing.
                    6 almonds, 2 tsp of nutella
                    D: small piece of salmon pan fried with crispy skin in butter, spinach, prob 2/3 of a cup of buttered rice. Small meal, but the rice seems to have filled me up.

Glad it's Friday tomorrow and hubby will be home for a late dinner, probably steaks. No word from the washer repair guy today, so I'm remaining optimistic for Saturday morning being all fixed. Better be. We're getting low on clean towels and the boys clothes, and I've had to hand wash son #1's work pants.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• On another note, it seems that my bum is getting flatter. How very odd. I think it's fat loss, but definitely says to me I need to get lifting heavy (like squats and deadlifts) to do some shaping action. Typical white eastern European decent chick, no booty. My last bit of excess sits in the thighs, hips and bum, so this may be a step in the right direction.

And son #2 had a girl over this evening. This too is new. Has happened before, but with a buddy and a couple of girls, this time was just the two of them, and he made a point to introduce us when I came home from work. We gave her a ride home later on in the evening. Very pretty young gal. Son #1 said he was proud of his brother, heeheehee.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Think I'll load up on Vit C and D tonight, I've been pretty minimal on supplements lately,
                        Me too. I haven't had any since the move.

On another note, it seems that my bum is getting flatter. How very odd. I think it's fat loss, but definitely says to me I need to get lifting heavy (like squats and deadlifts) to do some shaping action.
                        Yes! Can't lose the "wicked wicked bumper!

And son #2 had a girl over this evening. This too is new. Has happened before, but with a buddy and a couple of girls, this time was just the two of them, and he made a point to introduce us when I came home from work. We gave her a ride home later on in the evening. Very pretty young gal. Son #1 said he was proud of his brother, heeheehee.
                        Very cool
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Wow, I'm as white a white chick as they come but I really have got the badonka donk thing going on, my arse has always had a mind of its own.

Reverse lunges are just the thing apparently.
                          My Journal

Comment

• Haha Em, like the badonka donk . From your pics, you have the hourglass thing going on for sure! I'd need far more on top to ever be there!

Hubby's home tonight, and I asked his opinion on the flattening bum issue. He agreed, but thought it was a good thing. Though he agreed that some heavy lifting wouldn't hurt with roundness. To be honest, I don't think he minds either way, as long as it's available to him . Son #1 agrees with the squat/deadlift idea, of course, as the resident lifting guru. He was pleased to bench 225 x 2 reps for the first time since breaking his wrist last winter this week.

Up late again, but partly due to a late night conversation with son #1 about all sorts of mature topics. He's turning into a rather decent young man. Guess I did good here. He's planning on a trip to Europe after graduation next summer with his buddies. Wow. Wish I'd had that opportunity at that age. Instead, at slightly younger than he is now, I was in basic training, and then directly off to university, funded by the military. Seemed the only good way to go at the time for what my goals were, and turned out pretty well in the end, at least thus far.

IF easily all day for the training session, ending with a late dinner of grilled steak, mushrooms, peppers and wine. And a big bowl of berries with whipped cream doctored with vanilla, stevia and cocoa powder.

A good day here, full of good food and wine, and ready for bed. Convenient that hubby's home
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

To be honest, I don't think he minds either way, as long as it's available to him .
                              Hahaha!

Up late again, but partly due to a late night conversation with son #1 about all sorts of mature topics. He's turning into a rather decent young man. Guess I did good here.
                              Of course you did!
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Fell asleep in the chair last night, then a decent sleep in. About 9 hours of sleep.

Best news...we have a washing machine that works!! The guy came back this morning (nice that hubby got up to deal with it and make the coffee), and all sorted out by 1030. Many loads later, still not caught up yet. It would have been the laundromat for sure today if this hadn't been resolved.

Farmers' market for beef, lamb, eggs, cauliflower & such, groceries, some more running around for a bunch of other errands. Managed to pick up an on sale heated seat cushion for my car for winter . Hubby's car has heated seats, I don't. Makes a hell of a difference when it's -30C. It heats both low back and bum, so I'm set for the oncoming frigid season.

Wasn't hungry when I got up, but hubby had cooked me some bacon, so I felt obliged . Random bites until dinner.

B: black coffee, 4 slices bacon
                                few walnuts
                                2 spoons of nutella
                                couple of berries
                                a hard apple cider
                                D: grilled pork sirloin chop, roasted sweet potato cubes tossed with coconut oil, cayenne & cinnamon.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X