Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alice Eats (and lifts weights, and walks, but mostly eats and plays).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    I know how it is. My legs cramp, even though my overall strength isn't bad at all. We all have some sort of devil to fight. I'm trying regular bicycle riding for now to see if I can get my legs stronger - since that might battle the cramping tendency. Be proud of looking like a goofball on that chin-up bar. It makes you stronger. Also, find a nearby playground and hit the monkey bars regularly. Remember to keep your shoulder stabilizer muscles flexed and your elbows slightly bent, don't let your skeleton do the work. Less damage, faster gains that way - if it needed to be said at all.
    Just don't replace with cycling ENTIRELY and then try and run. The muscle groups work differently. It's why professional cyclists don't sprint very well and vice-versa. You need to keep some flexibility of motion.

Can't find a playground with monkey-bars apart from one for six year olds. Boo!
    But I will be proud. I'll be prouder when I do a pull-up (or, heaven forbid a CHIN-UP), but every inch higher will make me feel better.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Didn't get to lift weights. Mentally exhausted. Will do the exercises tomorrow.
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Found some coconut oil at the local Asian/Arab store!
        Pure stuff, for 2.49/500ml. That's cheaper than Kerrygold or other organic butters, but pricier than plain butter or my usual cooking fats. And it's all MINE.

Tastes awesome, but it dried a bit, so I'll have to warm it before using in cold dishes. Yum.
        --

--
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Feeling LOADS better after dumping more fat into the system yesterday. Banana butter does me good. Ready for some rows and whatever else takes my fancy. But FIRST I'm tidying the room. My fiance's coming round and this place is a dump. Cardio time?
          Last edited by Kochin; 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM.
          --

--
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Mine and fiance's diet today:
            Started off with a bake: 150g greek yoghurt, 50g butter, 2.5 eggs, 100g courgette, 1 onion (lotsa garlic).
            Had a stew for lunch: 1 pork chop w/fat, onion, carrot, parsnip, swede, celeriac; curried.
            Had an offal stir-fry for dinner: 75g ox liver for me (25 for him, he wasn't keen), 1/4 ox kidney (fiance stole as much of mine as he could! ), 50g bacon (my portion was extra fatty!), onion, red and yellow peppers, fried in butter.
            We drank several teas, mostly without milk, all unsweetened.
            Fiance is having two protein mixes (one at breakfast, one later). I'm finishing my day with 250ml milk with 150g double cream.

Heavens, all that fat... and saturated animal fat at that! We must be about to die! What? His blood-pressure's still low enough for a corpse and I'm losing weight? And we're both leaner, stronger and more muscled than before? Oh... We must be those "exceptions" everyone talks about...
            --

--
            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

You are showing how entirely possible it is to eat this well on a budget, and you are getting great results. Congratulations.
              Annie Ups the Ante
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

OK, I'm about to be terrible to myself.
                I'm a bit behind on some work, so I'm staying awake as late as it takes to finish this book and do some work on it.

Plan: have lots of coffee, have dinner late (to throw my sleep-pattern off), have more coffee and have fruit and nuts to snack on until done.

I'm going to feel rather sick after this, but everyone had to pull the odd "all-nighter" at uni and one night won't kill.
                --

--
                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

My body recovered suprisingly quickly from the caffeinating and the lack of sleep.

Anyhow, I've decided to start carrying at least 7.5kg with me everywhere, to "trick" my body into thinking I'm heavier and putting on the muscle to support that extra weight.
                  First day did it in a satchel. Walked about 2hours, overall. Altered positions (holding in one arm, using only fingers, bent elbow, both hands, behind back "carrying a menhir"-style) to exercise all "lifting" muscles at least a bit. Arms tired, but only a bit sore.
                  --

--
                  I'd apologize, but...

Comment

OK. Lil sister's 18th this weekend. I'll try my hardest to avoid grains and overly processed stuff but, being away from home and with relatives that like to eat out when you're "celebrating"... yeah. And I can't exactly "upset" anyone by being a "nuisance" with food.

May fit in a fast or two, to be safe.
                    --

--
                    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Also. I have CALLUSES on my fingers and feet. *proud*
                      --

--
                      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Doing some drawing and reading whilst waiting for folks to show up. Had a coffee.
                        Today's breakfast was 1500kcal of mostly fat and I IFed over lunch, so I'll be able to get away with grain-avoiding without feeling hungry, regardless of where we go.
                        --

--
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                          My body recovered suprisingly quickly from the caffeinating and the lack of sleep.

Anyhow, I've decided to start carrying at least 7.5kg with me everywhere, to "trick" my body into thinking I'm heavier and putting on the muscle to support that extra weight.
                          First day did it in a satchel. Walked about 2hours, overall. Altered positions (holding in one arm, using only fingers, bent elbow, both hands, behind back "carrying a menhir"-style) to exercise all "lifting" muscles at least a bit. Arms tired, but only a bit sore.
                          This is actually a really good idea!! Very interesting, I never thought of doing that but it makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Update time!
                            Started having tongue. Not THE most awesome offal, but quite nice if you ignore the fact you're giving a cow a second-hand french-kiss.

Also, this month, unlike the last three, my period is heavy again and I'm getting cravings. No cramps, mind, but wondering what caused the cravings. Annoyingly, they're mostly for sugary foods. Ate a lot of fruit, nuts and 75% chocolate. Didn't work. I feel kinda ill though, and I think I've lost fluid. Decided to just eat well and ignore the cravings until they get more specific. Fiance thinks it's likely just a kcal deficit, so I'll try eating more, plain and simple.

The carrying of weights quietened down, so I'm going back to it today. Next week it'll be 9-10kg, so I need to remind the boy "how heavy it's getting"!
                            --

--
                            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Chicken livers, eggs and butter seem to be healing my cravings pretty well. That and exercise.

Found an artist to do nude modelling for. He was apparently impressed by my biceps and is keen to draw me doing some "weighted" poses to bring the muscles out. It also adds another hour of walking to an otherwise quiet day, which is always good.
                              --

--
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Back!
                                Why oh why do I only ever return when things go South..?
                                Long story short: almost missed a deadline, stayed up late, drank lotsa coffee, ate late, got up early, drank lotsa coffee.

RESET!
                                Yeah, of course you can do that.
                                No more coffee, had some Oolong tea.
                                Low kcal day, as I didn't do any endurance-based exercise and therefore hadn't wokred up an appetite. Had a curry with bacon and gammon, another bowl of curry, some milk, some nuts and some butter.
                                Decided that on "busy" or "weak from overtiredness" days I'll do a 3x30: 30 mins of intense, non-meditation yoga and stretches, 30 continual incline press-ups, 30 continual sit-ups or crunches. Just to keep blood flowing and make me feel better in myself.
                                Now sitting by the light of a dim halogen heater (get one if you're worried about candles and fire as they use little more than a lightbulb, take the edge off the room and produce sunset-like light to relax you; plus, most have a "tip sensor" [a button] so it turns off if it falls over). Computer screen is dimmed. Starting to unwind. Will soon move onto a book before proper bedtime.
                                Feel far better in myself.

Goals for tomorrow:
                                -do 200 sun-salutes
                                -try and do pull-ups for at least 20 min
                                -get some sunlight
                                -eat more gammon (I've got a lot of it)
                                -finish another essay
                                --

--
                                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X