No announcement yet.

Monk's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the middle of my second 36 hour fast - Friday night to Sunday morning. What I found, that is helping me duing the week(when I fast to 11am or 2pm-ish) is Zevia. I never realized such wonerful calorie, all natural soft drinks existed, until I saw Dr. Sara Soloment show Zevia and a couple other drinks. What I like about them, is that they seem to trick my stomach into believing that it is full enough, between my waking hours. The hardest part of fasting for me, is the hours when my body realizes I am awake and starts to growl. Even now my stocmach is growling, but I don't feel hungry or I've gotten used to feeling this way and water keeps hunger at bay. It might also be, that I am driven andsee my body slowly changing and just the slight ripple of my upper abs poking through, excites me to continue. I am two days away from my 48th birthday, the idea of having a six pack at this age(whenever I never have, even in my physical prime) is really exciting. How could I not want to show anyone willing to look, at that point of success? I would be a fool to not want it or not want to show my accomplishment.

Comment

• Just a quick note.
      At the end of this last 336hour fast I weighed myself, came in at 170. Yesterday, on an empty stomach(fasted) I weighed in at 174, so I have lost about 3 to 4 pounds. I feel really good, sticking to more of a lean gains approach and still eating paleo/primal.

In a letter my mom sent me, she said a friend of hers started Paleo and loaned the book to my mom. Maybe now I can stop hearing her ask me if I am still on my Paleo diet.

Comment

• Decmber was my post? wow, where does the time go? Still working with IF, but started to shift towards the Keto side of thise whole thing in the last week. Watched some videos, and have read alot, mostly from Dr.Phinney and Dr. Volek. The only real difference is that I am looking at carbs when I read lables, but I am used to reading labels already. Shifting to the higher fat, lower carb has been pretty easy and so far I have kept my carbs under 40grams a day. I do have some sauer kraut, but need to start eating more. I also will try taking some magnesium as I transition.
        I think the biggest issue is letting my body transition and make my bowel movements as easy as possible, with less carbs. I think, even the bad carbs helped the BM and getting the body used to not having the large amount of carbs will be gradual, but manageable.
        I have seen a weight gain, but the pictures tell a different story and my stomach looks a little thinner.
        I cut back on the IF, but still won't eat until 8Am. I brought a feew packets of Almond Butter in to work to try and manage hunger, even though I have maanaged fairly well, probably because I have gotten used to IF ing. I am going more on, if I am hungry I will eat, choosing something with high fat, if it has carbs, I fit it into the 50grams a day box and think about the rest of the day. I don't want to spend alot of time thinking about carbs, but until I transition a bit more, I probably will. Obsess over them? No, just add them up and think about the food I have.
        I will update here, because I have posted some of this stuff on FB for some reason, but there is none there who can relate to this. I'm okay with that, I like or don't mind being the oddball, if I can get the results I want from something.

Watching people give up on New years resolution is sad, when taking this whole thing on has been huge for me. I am far from done with my journey.
        I have been playing with the idea s around sleep, using the orange lens glasses before going to bed and sleeping with a sleepmask. Creating natural melatonin etc to control my leptin levels is really interesting on top of sleeping much better.

Comment

• Things are going pretty well, today my morning hunger wasn't too bad. If you have used IF before venturing into Ketogenic land, you have to retrain or relearn how to use IF on fewer carbs. That has been my experience so far, nearing the end of my second week. I am adjusting though and made it to past 11AM before eating a almond butter packet and a handful of almonds, right now I am sitting around minus 13carbs.
          I am going to see if I can stay under 30carbs today, since I have gradually reduced them each day, as muchas I can.

The last two days I have eaten a couple moutfuls of sauer kraut and taken one tablet of magnesium. It is the first time i've ever taken magnesium. I think the combination of the kraut and magnesium have helped my BM. I don't know if this is the magnesium or just my body adjusting, but the first night I I woke up and felt very hot. It wasn't a feverish, sweaty hot, just hot. This morning I had this really jarring dream that felt lucid and stopped me suddenly, landing me in aother dream.
          I have felt a little sniffly and a bit off, but energized in a different way. I searched for carb flu for those shifting from paleo to Ket and only found a site that the two were combined...tat works because that is more of what I'm shooting for.
          Some of the things some forum say they eat under keto, are processed and I won't go that route. I do want to get Volek and Phinnye's books, because I agree with the work they have done.
          Being one with a body that does put on weight/muscle easily I wonder where my carb level should be. Accoring to Dr. Phinney the highest range if 50carbs all the way down to 20 g. I did hop on the scale this morning just to see and my weight did come back down...but will keep taking pictures every week.

Comment

• If I had gotten myself into ketosis before this morning, I knocked myself out of it. Too many carbs, decided to just reset and take my carbs lower tomorrow. I am going to shoot for 10carbs a day and lots of good fats. I was doing really well on both and will get adapted. The food I ate still fit into primal/paleo for the most part, just ran the carbs up to cope with various things, no biggie. I am very persistant and know why I am doing this and what I want to get out of living this way.

I had to listen to more "smoothy" talk, it's the new office "thing". My coworkers, from previous posts want to start doing smoothies. the Dorito chick has been talking about the smoothies etc for the last year. The other lady was over complicating the ingredients the one guy was suggesting. I doubt they will get very far with the whole thing, I just don't really want to listen to them. Do something already, talking and knowing about a healthier way of eating won't get you any where, you actually have to do it.
            Oh, lol Dorito lady asked me why I stopped doing smoothies, I didn't even try and explain, I have told her about my IF. I either nap at lunch or now that I've hacked my sleep, I have been reading.

Comment

• Yesterday was good, stayed under 10g of carbs. I did feel different, not bad, just different. I think it will be pretty easy to stay under 10g with some planning and I'm starting to level out a bit and my ability to IF is back a little.

Comment

• Doing well, being low carb after already making the swithc formCW eating to paleo, now shifting to LCHF primal, is very easy. Taking my daily magnesium and a couple mouthfuls of sauer kraut to help wih any possible constipation issues.

Yesterday, carbs were at or just under 20g, we had a work retirement potluck. Morning I ate some of my almonds about 7g worth. my meal, from the potluck was one piece of baked chicken, average portion of green beans, that had onions and cooked with bacon, so of course had to have some bacon and then four deviled eggs. Today I looked up Miracle whip to try and figure ot the carb count and four deviled eggs might be close to 2g max

Today, had soe heavy whipping cream and cocnut oil, when I first woke up. It is just before noon and grabbed four of the deviled eggs leftover, first carbs of the day. My hunger is leveing out very well. I did hop on the scale this morning and I might be down a pound or two.

Comment

• Yesterday, I was just under 10g carbs. I had some pork rinds...not sure how they are viewed, being fried an dall. They don't have any additives and 0carbs. They may have given me gas, because this morning I couldn't tell if I was constipated or dealing with gas.
                  It does seem like it was gas now, that my morning has started.

Today I brought some hard boiled eggs. I did bring more stevia for my tea, but didn't feel like I wanted anything sweet. I am shooting for a 2g carb day, being the sauer kraut and maybe some sour cream.
                  I found this recipse for Psyllium husk flat bread, it would be a good way to provide fiber(on top of taking magnesium supplements). flat bread like this would give me more options for meals.
                  It's hard not to focus on belly fat, because it is right there, even if i am losing aft from every else. I try not to focus on it, but that's difficult. I will keep my carbs as low as possible and give my body fiber to deal with it.

I wondered about using stevia, I know alot of us use it, but reading about how our taste bud can turn the sweet signal and knock us out of ketosis is bothersome. then again I read the opposite too. Welcome to the land of experimentation.

Being any older male with a endomorph type body is challenging, but if this is going to work, I have to give it time.

Comment

• Hit my goal yesterday of 2gcarbs for the day. I think my body is adjusting nicely, and making the gradual steps down on the carbs was a good idea. I do have the sniffles, started yesterday, I have hardly been sick, so I'm wondering if it is from ketosis. Curiousity makes me get on the scale, today the needle dropped down just about a pound less - I don't judge everything on that of course.
                    I don't know what my magic number is for ketosis, but it might be under ten. I know everyone's is different and I have no problem functioning at such a low carb number.

Comment

• It was going to be another 1g carb day, but a coworker had ribs for lunch. I had dismissed the smell when I left work, until later tonight. I went to Rallys and got ten honey BBW wings...looked it up turns out to be 36g carbs. These were my only carbs today. I will keep shooting for days under ten gram or zero carb days. I don't have any idea if going into the mid-30s is good or bad for me. I don't want to obsess over carbs, just have goals to shoot for. If I can get the desired benefits shooting for these standards I will be happy.

Comment

• Doing okay, sniffles are gone. Rainy cool day today, makes me not want to do much.Pictures looked okay, compared them to my one year progress pictures, better. My jeans are falling off my ass a little, so my belly will be the last, the one area I can't wait for it to shrink. Patience.

Comment

• Adapting very well and the desire for sweetness has gone away, even the use of stevia. The work week has been lunches of soft boiled eggs and maybe some nuts in the morning that equal around 7-9g carbs. work had pizza and wings delivered I had two wings, got my carb total up to 15 with the sauer kraut at home, great day. weighed myself after a nap in the tub and I'm down a couple pounds

Comment

• Steady at 170lbs that's a loss of 4lbs since starting the high fat low carb Primal. My appetite seems to fluctuate a bit, like today I ate but still felt hungry, so had some more almonds. I've kept my carbs under 20 for most of the week, today I think I will come in around the mid 20's. I have adjusted well, no sniffles and my BM's have gotten easier. I will probably add more carbs(still under 50) when I get to where I should be...but I'm not sure if that will at 150 like my BMI suggests.
                            I had gotten my weight down to 160 from pretty much starving myself on vegetables a few years ago, before adopting this great way of eating, but I know the difference between emaciated and lean.

Comment

• Easter was awesome, but ate some casada cake. I stay away from deserts anymore and even stopped using stevia in my morning tea. Today I had zero carbs, it was tea, bacon and eggs and later today I got a stomach ache. I wondered if it was from reheating my eggs at work, but now I wonder if its keto flu. Just a couple minutes ago I started feeling chills. My FB people would respond with Likes lol but I think putting it on here makes more sense. My sounding board of thought.
                              Ate some sauer kraut and two baby dills...oh I did have a Bilberry kombucha, so right about 9g carbs for the day. This is the lowest carb day since Easter dinner. I have kept the carbs since Easter around 20-30g/day, but I believe my body needs 10g and under to stay in ketosis. My weight loss had stopped too, from mainting the 20-30g/day, hoping by dropping them down again, I'll lose again.

Comment

• Today I decided to eliminate the dairy, that I have been eating for the fat content. Cheese, as much as it fills me up, my stomach doesn't really like it. Of course the scale isn't a good rule of thumb, but I have gained weight, since adding more high fat dairy to my diet. I know a Paleo LCHF choice is possible and that's the direction I'm going to.

Comment

Working...
                                X