Primal Journal (PBNewby)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal (PBNewby)

I am a 48 year old male, 5' 10", 180 lbs. Until I was 30, I had been what I would consider to be in very good health. My weight was well controlled, that is to say I was quite thin, but not too thin. My high school weight was around 135, and I held that until I was 30. Two things happened when I turned 30. First, I got married, and second, I became employed in a very good paying job. I suppose my metabolism changed a bit also, but I believe that my good fortune led me to eat just about anything I wanted, anytime I wanted.

While it is true that I began eating well (or at least what I thought was "well", thanks Primal Blueprint!!), I didn't really gain a lot of weight immediately. My weight gain began in earnest at the end of the 1990s. While the gain was unintentional, and not a huge amount, I breached 200 lbs by 2003. I don't remember the date, but I do remember stepping on the scale and seeing "204". It was quite a shock to me! So much so that I decided I wasn't going to gain another ounce. And I didn't. That was the most I ever weighed.

For the next couple years, I dieted. Well, I cut back on my portions, and tried very hard to lose weight. I was able to get down to 170 or 180, and my weight fluctuated quite a bit, although it never returned to the 200 range. At one point a few years ago, my annual cholesterol reading went to 266, and my doctor was leaning toward putting me on some chol reducing drugs. The next day, I started dieting (reduced portions) like mad. Over the next year, I lost 30 lbs and was down to 150. I did this without exercise, foolishly thinking I could start a weight training program once I reached 150 - in order to put muscle weight back on (instead of fat). Well, I never started any weight training, and eventually, over the 2009-2011 timeframe I gained back 30 lbs. I have been at 180 for about a year (again) now. (See the chart in my post on 17-Oct-2012)

Earlier this year, I was laid off, and I have taken the summer off. In August, I began experiencing days where I would be tired in the daytime, or mornings where I would sleep solidly until 10 or 11 a.m. (12 to 14 hours of continuous sleep). I don't know what that was, as I have tried to be active throughout the summer - working around the house and yard, cycling a bit, and generally trying to do whatever it takes to NOT be a couch potato in my time away from regular employment.

I knew I had to do something, but didn't know what. I stumbled upon and began reading the book Primal Blueprint in late September. The book intrigued me and I felt it was doing a great job of explaining many issues with people's health these days. In late September, I began trying to eat zero carbs from grains, and zero sugar. I also began doing push-ups, chin-ups, and bench-press. Started at 1 chin-up, now can do 4...improvements have come in the other exercises, too.

I finished the book today, and over the last week to week-and-a-half, I have been eating as primally as I can. In the beginning I ate a couple salads. Now I eat lots of broccoli, apples, yogurt, and almonds. All for carbs. I also eat bacon and eggs, some dark chocolate, avocados, as well as small amounts of cheese and milk. I have no problem following the rules of eating primal. I'm very intent on changing myself, and because of that (and the engineer inside me) I don't stray. I think my desire to change and lose weight over-powers any desire for sugars or processed carbs (which I used to eat quite a bit of).

My goal in all of this is to lose some weight. My scale tells me I have 22% body fat, which means I am carrying 40lbs of fat around everyday. I'd really like this number to be closer to 20 lbs, or maybe 16% body fat. I realize, after doing weight loss wrongly over the past 10 years, that I must exercise while changing my diet. I don't have any sort of regimented exercise plan. I just go downstairs to the weights and do some bench-presses and chin-ups 5 to 6 times per week. I also do push-ups (10) once or twice per day. When I started, I could only do 3, so that is some progress.

In all, I am pretty fit, but I carry most all of my fat in my belly. If the six pack is under there like Mark says it is, I have a long way to go to get it out in the open again. I've taken measurements of my biceps, and my belly, with hopes of seeing some changes in time. To be fair, I have lost about 3 pounds over the past 14 days, but most of it was at the beginning. I know I have replaced some fat with muscle, since I can do more push-ups, chin-ups, and more bench-press weight than when I started. So I am not too concerned about the weight loss not being more (I believe if I could weigh 180lbs and have 16% body fat, that would be one form of progress!)

I've been tracking my meals, but I have a bit of a bone to pick with the BMR calculators. One thing I have learned while tracking my weight daily for 9 years is that if I eat an average of less than 1200 cal/day I will lose weight. If I eat an average of more than 1500 cal/day I will gain weight. The calculator says my BMR is 1740 or something like that. If I were to stop exercising and eat that many cal/day, I am sure I would balloon up! For now, I am trying to eat only when I am hungry, but there are times when I get super hungry. Times when I wake up early in the morning with my stomach growling. In those cases, I fear that I am burning muscle while I sleep. So I am not sure I have the combination of fat/carb/prot correct. More learning, I guess.

I felt it important to start this journal, if only to get my thoughts down so I can refer back to them. I truly believe that "Primal" is the way to go. And I look forward to healthier living. I've not been sleeping as much as before, so that is a plus, and I am excited to be lifting weights again!

PBNewby
    Today's weight: 80.5kg, 178-ish
    Today's belly: 40"

Thanks to Mark for the great book and this website!
    Last edited by PBNewby; 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Just for the record, here are some food logs from the past week or so. Comments welcome!

October 2
    Bkfst
    100g banana 24g carb
    90g broccoli 4g carb
    1/10th cup milk 2g carb
    Some cheese 1g carb
    1/4 of an avocado 4g carb
    Two eggs - less than 1/2g carb
    Two slices bacon - zero carbs
    44g almonds 8g carb
    Total: 43g carb brkfst.

Oct 3
    180g yogurt 14g carb, 9g prot.

Oct 4
    250g milk in coffee 13g carb, 8g prot
    2 eggs 2g carb, 12g prot
    2 slices bacon 0g carb, 5g prot
    150g yogurt 12g carb, 7g prot
    75g fruit 10g carb 1g prot
    28g minced almonds 5g carb, 6g prot

October 9 - Lunch
    Two cheese slices six protein one carb, 10 g of fat each.
    1 ounce salami. Six protein one carb 8 g fat each.
    One serving of fruit one protein 17 carb 0 g fat each.
    One serving broccoli one protein 4 carb 0 g of fat.
    One serving yogurt 11 protein 18 carbohydrate 2.5 g fat.
    One oz almonds 6g prot, 5g carb, 15g fat.

12+6+1+1+11+6=37g protein.
    2+1+17+4+18+5=47g carb.
    20+8+0+0+2.5+15=45.5g fat.

October 10
    Breakfast.
    140 g of egg, or three eggs. 12g fat, 3g carb, 17g prot
    28 g of 2% milk. 0g fat, 1g carb, 1g prot
    113 g of fresh broccoli steamed. 0g fat, 8g carb, 3g prot
    16 g of bacon cooked. 4.5g fat, 0g carb, 7g prot
    60 g of fresh sliced avocado. 9g fat, 5g carb, 1g prot
    8 g of butter 6g fat, 0g carb, 0g prot
    135 g apple, raw 0g fat, 18g carb, 0g prot

Total fat 33g
    Total carb 35g
    Total prot 29g

Lunch.
    One serving of yogurt 2.5g of fat 18 g carbohydrate 11 g protein.
    One serving of berries 0g fat 17g carb 1g protein.
    One serving almonds 15 g, fat 5 g, carb 6 g protein.

Total fat 17.5g
    Total carb 40g
    Total prot 18g

Dinner.
    125 g of sockeye salmon 14g fat, 0g carb, 34g prot

Daily totals 64g fat, 75g carb, 81g prot
    Calories 576+300+324=1200

October 11
    Breakfast
    3 eggs, . 12g fat, 3g carb, 17g prot
    30g shredded cheese F11, C0.5, P8
    126g broccoli, steamed F0, C9, P3
    3 slices (16g) bacon F6, C0, P7
    60g apple F0, C8, P0
    40g bacon grease cooked into eggs
    4g butter in broccoli
    125g banana F0, C28, P1.5

Lunch. One serving of berries 0g fat 17 g carbohydrate 1 g protein
    200 g of yogurt 5 g of fat, 17 g of carbohydrate, 9 g of protein.

Dinner
    20g tomato F0g, C2.5g, P0.5g
    40 g avocado F6g, C3.5g, P1g
    130 g turkey burger F17, C0, P36
    110 g of steamed broccoli F0, C8, P2.5
    Some butter for the broccoli
    28 g of feta cheese F7, C2, P7

Total: F110 (incl 40g), C96, P92
    Calories: 990+384+368=1742

October 12.
    Breakfast
    180 g yogurt F4 .7, C15, P8
    28 g almonds F15, C5g, P6g
    130g berries F0, C17, P1

F20, C37, P15
    180+148+60=388cal

Lunch.
    3 blackened fish tacos w/o shell
    28 g almonds. F15, C5, P6
    135+20+24=179

Snack
    Protein Shake
    F3.5, C26, P26
    32+104+104=240

Chicken salad at grand view
    Chocolate F3,C3, P0
    27+12=39
    Milk F5, C13, P8
    45+52+32=129

567+240+39+129=975
    + lunch tacos + dinner salad. + 2 martinis.

"I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

The past two days, I have been working on putting a transmission back into my truck. This is hard work, using lots of upper body strength, and getting up and down from working on the ground underneath the truck. Although I have not changed my diet much from last week, I have skipped lunch both yesterday and today. I was working so intently that I didn't really notice the lunch hour go by. Granted, I was hungry at dinner, but it wasn't excruciating. I forgot to step on the scale this morning, so I don't know the effects of skipping lunch. Tomorrow will tell the story.

In other news, I believe that I may be eating too much dairy. Specifically milk. I like to have a latte in the morning, and I usually use about 250g of warm milk in my espresso. At first I convinced myself that it was OK since the carbs in milk come from glucose - and from what I have heard the body process glucose much much better than fructose. But now I am wondering if so much milk is preventing me from losing fat. May try to cut back on the milk. It'll be hard with winter coming, I love me some morning latte.

I read thru some success stories on this site, and WOW those are very inspirational!!

Comment

This mornings's weight was 79.5kg, or 175 lbs. So it would seem that skipping lunch did help a bit (1 lb or 2). Speaking of weight, I wanted to share the graph of my daily weight over the past 9 years. This chart shows how up-and-down my weight was, as I tried and tried to get to a stable weight. This chart begins 9 years ago in September of 2003, just a few mos after I hit my all time high of 204. The top line of the chart is 193 lbs, the bottom of the chart is 143 lbs. Toward the end, the data is kind of sparse, as I hit 180 last January and plateaued there, disappointed that I had once again reached 180. But I have begun to take daily measurements once again. Some would say that behavior is obsessive, but I find its the best way to encourage myself to do better (eating/exercise wise).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PBNewby; 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

The last two years of my employment, 2010 and 2011, I did a fair amount of cycle-commuting to and from the office. In the mornings, I would carpool with my wife to her work. We toted my bicycle on the car so that upon arriving at her office, I would cycle to the regional bus stop, about 1 mile away. Then I would ride the bus to the first stop in the town I worked in. From there I would cycle to my office, about 4 miles. Having no car, I would need to ride to lunch and back, about 7-10 miles round trip - depending on where we chose to eat that day. In the late afternoon, I would cycle to the downtown bus stop (4 miles) to catch a different regional bus home. Actually that bus took me within 5 miles of my home, resulting in at least 15 and sometime 20 miles per day of cycle commuting.

Last summer, 2011, I recorded nearly 1200 miles of cycle commuting over 3 or 4 months.

The thing about this is, and here's my point, I rarely ever lost weight. In fact, during heavy cycling summers I usually gained weight. What I am enjoying about the shift to Primal Blueprint is that I am gaining muscle (through lifting heavy objects, and semi regular work-outs/sprints/walking) but I am also losing weight. I attribute this to the dietary changes related to being Primal. In those past summers, when I cycled to my heart's content, I also increased my intake of calories. After reading Primal Blueprint, I am pretty much convinced that I was compensating for the increase in my calories burned by eating the wrong type of calories (more processed carbs than I should have).

I can now do 16 pushups without stopping. When I began reading the book 3 weeks ago, I could maybe do 3. This tells me I am gaining muscle. At the same time, I am losing weight. This is very exciting, since I believe the combination of gaining muscle and losing weight is a healthy combination. It sure beats gaining weight and losing muscle! And it absolutely beats losing weight and losing muscle.
          Last edited by PBNewby; 10-21-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

This morning I realized something, and it is a good thing. In the past, when I've tried to lose weight, I have done it by restricting my caloric intake. This has led me to be cranky during times of hunger, when I just had to push thru until the next meal. But over the past 2-3 weeks, since reading Primal Blueprint and changing my diet to exclude grain based carbs, and sugar, I have been losing weight without being cranky! This is a wonderful realization for me, and my wife appreciates it, too! I'm not ready to reveal any numbers, but at this point I AM losing weight, and I am gaining muscle. Simultaneously! This morning I did 20 push-ups. Granted, the 20th was a tough struggle for me, but I counted it. Yesterday, I did 6 pull-ups. My bench press continues to increase, and my new short-term goal is to be able to bench-press my body weight. Actually, it is to bench-press my body weight in 3 sets of 5 (15 times with a rest after every 5). Current estimates show that I should reach my goal within 3 weeks. I can't weight!! (wait. :-)

Here are my food logs from the past week or so. Mainly for my records, but shared here to seek comments...one thing I tried to do was reduce the qty of milk in my lattes. Hoping that helps in my weight loss. You may notice that I log everything (even liquids) in terms of grams - that is because I have a digital kitchen scale and it is so easy to use. Once I weigh a quantity of food, I go to the online food nutrients site and convert everything from the 100g portions they use to the amount of food I eat. Super simple!

October 13
            Bkfst
            123g egg
            29g milk (red fat)
            40g shred cheese
            4g coconut oil/fat
            30g sliced avocado
            3 slices bacon
            28g almonds
            100g yogurt
            130g berries

Two coffes with milk (about 500g)
            F10, C26, P20

Snarfs ham and cheese sandwich, no bread.
            Lightly breaded buffalo chicken wings (12)
            3 beers

Oct 14
            50g tomato F0, C2g, P0
            90g avocado F13, C8, P2
            150g steamed broccoli F1, C11, P3
            65g steak F8, C0, P30
            3 eggs scrambled F12, C13, P17
            30g shred cheese F11, C0.5, P8
            Coconut oil for cooking
            250g milk in coffee F5, C13, P10

Snarfs ham and cheese sandwich no bread
            7g almonds

150g grilled chicken
            160g broccoli
            30g cheese
            30g mushrooms sautéed
            30g dark chocolate
            140g red wine

October 15
            Two eggs
            two slices of bacon
            50 g of avocado
            200 g of yogurt
            30 g of almonds

No Lunch!

Wahoos blackened chicken tacos, no shell. Side of guac.
            250g milk in coffee.
            1/2 square of 70% chocolate.
            12 almonds.

October 16
            170 g of broccoli
            Three slices bacon
            Three eggs
            60 g avocado

October 17
            196g steamed broccoli F0,C9,P4.4
            80g avocado
            2 eggs
            8g butter
            3slices bacon
            30g shred cheese
            66g apple
            Some almonds

No Lunch!

60g apple
            2x Cx tacos, 1x beef taco. No shells. Fuzzys
            17g of 88% cocoa F8, C7, P2
            150g steamed milk in coffee.
            145g red wine
            28g almonds

October 18
            145g yogurt, F4 C12 P6
            126g berries, F0 C17 P1
            28g almonds, F14 C6 P6
            16g chocolate, F7.5 C6 P1.5
            1 apple and a handful of almonds
            28g salami, F8, C1, P6
            56g cheese, F20, C2, P12

Club wrap, side of guac, no tortilla.
            16g chocolate. 28g almonds, 145g red wine.

October 19
            2 eggs
            4g coconut oil
            45g apple
            28 g beef jerky, F2 .5 C7 P 10
            2eggs 4 slices bacon 2oz ham chz

Salad with chicken, bleu cheese dressing, mozzarella, and walnuts.
            2 st Germaine martinis.
            56g almonds
            2 more Martinis, ugh!
            125g milk coffee

Midnight snack, 3 slices bacon, 56g salami, 3 oz cheese, almonds.
            125g milk coffee.

October 20
            150g yogurt, F4,C12,P6.5
            30g almonds, F14, C6, P6
            105g berries, F0, C14, P1
            45g avocado, F6, C4, P1
            125g milk, F2.5 C6.5 P4
            Made into a smoothie (blended)
            Totals F26.5, C42.5, P18.5
            238+170+74=482cal

One banana.
            100 g chicken
            130 g broccoli
            20 g cheese
            10 g dark chocolate
            125 g steamed milk
            Mushrooms and onions with the chicken

October 21
            1 slice bacon
            35g avocado
            100g eggs
            16g milk 2%
            16g cheese
            5g coconut oil for cooking
            160g broccoli
            Last edited by PBNewby; 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

PBNewby, big kudos to you for staying so motivated. It's obviously giving you great results

Have you considered posting on a daily basis to give yourself an ounce more of motivation? It would be great to track your success that way. Also, how are you able to eat broccoli day after day? I love my broccoli, but I would become absolutely homicidal if that was my only option.

Keep at it
              "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
              -H2G2

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                I suppose I am starting to get a bit weary on the broccoli front, but with a bit of butter, and some cheese melted over it, I find broccoli hard to resist! What other veges do people eat to get their carbs? (I can't stand Brussel sprouts, nor asparagus).
                Last edited by PBNewby; 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

So, this morning, I awoke at 4am with stomach pain, and a very slight headache. Prior to going Primal, this was a fairly common occurrence. It hadn't happened in so long (a couple weeks or more) that I had considered it gone. There were those two nights early on where I had awoke quite hungry, but this was different. I figure this was something I ate that I didn't agree with, or that didn't agree with me. Here's my log from yesterday:

21-Oct
                  1 slice turkey bacon
                  35g avocado
                  100g eggs
                  16g milk 2%
                  16g cheese
                  160g broccoli
                  28g almonds
                  110g apple
                  126g milk in coffee

Chef salad @ 3son's Restaurant
                  140g milk in coffee
                  20g dark chocolate. 20, 7.5, 4
                  80g apple
                  30g almonds

This totals 1275 calories, plus the Chef's Salad I had at the restaurant. This salad had onions on it, and garbanzo beans (which I only ate 3 or 4 before stopping). It also had olives, and I ate all of them (6-8). Bleu cheese dressing, as well as bleu cheese crumbles. Nothing realy out of the ordinary, I just wanted to write it down. I awoke at 4am (the usual time for me to awake when I had this issue in the past) and stayed awake until, well, until now 6a. Probably won't go back to bed.

One thing I am wondering is, what can I do to calm my stomach? In the past, I would drink warm milk...but I wonder what Primal folks do to ease tummy pains... :-)
                  Last edited by PBNewby; 10-22-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

It might be the milk that upset your stomach in the first place. My suggestion: drink hot oolong tea. It's amazing for settling the stomach and it tastes amazing too. Or you could go the Traditional Russian Self-Medication route and brew yourself a really strong cup of black tea (traditionally you add a spoon of sugar, but that's not very Primal) and stomach it down.

As far as veggies, I love all sorts of veggie latkes. Zucchini latkes are wonderfully moist and delicious with a touch of sour cream. Grilled tomatoes with a touch of salt and pepper taste pretty awesome too.

Anyways, hope you feel better!
                    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
                    -H2G2

Comment

Oh yes, feeling better. This condition never lasts more than a morning. Once whatever it was I ate passes thru me, I am good. Thanks!

One reason I chose broccoli is that it has more carbs than other veges. The implication being I don't have to eat as much to get the same amount of carbs. I do love tomatoes and we grew our own this summer. That got us out of the habit of buying them at the grocers. But lately our plants have not been producing ripe toms, so I need to return to the store to get more. I could take zucchini or leave it on its own, but I do make a good zucchini quiche. Will have to look into that, sans crust of course!

Comment

This past week I rediscovered pumpkin. Put a bit of canned pumpkin in my yogurt for breakfast. mmmm! Still eating a fair amount of broccoli, but not completely burned out on it yet. Overdid it a bit on the chocolate this week, but it is dark chocolate.

Unofficially, I have been primal for four weeks. I began reading Primal Blueprint in the last week of September. I took measurements (weight, muscle, belly) on October 3rd, and I began logging my meals as well. I plan to post my official 4-week results on November 3rd. So far, things are looking good, although I've noticed a bit of a slowdown in my progress this past week. Wasn't able to do my sprints this week, and certainly didn't walk as much as in past weeks. With winter coming, I need to find more ways to exercise indoors. Shouldn't be a problem, I just need to do it.

Regarding bacon. I buy the bacon that has the most protein per slice, or per serving. The bacon in my grocery store shows anywhere from 2g protein to 7g protein per serving (15g). I feel this is a way to get the bacon with the least amount of fat per serving. 7g out of 15g (cooked) is almost 50%, which is good IMO.

The apples I have been eating come from an apple tree at my folks' house. It is actually their neighbor's tree, but it hangs over the property line so there are tons of apples for the taking. The apples this year are very good, and I've eaten more apples this year (this past month, really) than perhaps in my whole life! We also have a juicer and we've made quite a bit of juice. Ours is a masticating juicer, and there's nothing like the juice it makes, mmmmm! Masticating juicers rule because they crush the fruit, and leave a lot of the fiber in the resulting juice. They do remove the skin, and seeds, but that's about it.

Here is my food log from the past week. Starting to tire of doing these, but still not eating any carbs from grains, corn, potatoes, beans, sugar, or the like.

October 21
                        1 slice bacon
                        35g avocado
                        100g eggs
                        16g milk 2%
                        16g cheese
                        160g broccoli
                        28g almonds
                        110g apple
                        126g milk in coffee

Chef salad @ 3son's
                        140g milk in coffee
                        20g dark chocolate. 20, 7.5, 4
                        80g apple
                        30g almonds

October 22
                        28g almonds
                        60g cheese F21 C2 P 13
                        Uncured salami F20 C1 P10
                        200g apple f0.4, c28, p0.5
                        30g almonds
                        60g milk, 60g coconut milk, in coffee
                        300g homemade chicken chili
                        120g broccoli with cheese and butter
                        60g milk, 60g coconut milk in coffee
                        20g chocolate
                        30g almonds

October 23
                        70g avocado
                        60g zucchini quiche
                        124g steak, pre-cooked. 90 after
                        70g mushroom pre sautéed, 8g butter
                        140g yogurt
                        28g almonds
                        11g dark chocolate

One beer at Masepohl's
                        300g chicken chili
                        140g broccoli, butter, and cheese
                        70g coconut milk, 50g milk, in coffee
                        28g almonds
                        160g apple

October 24
                        Awake at 2 AM with stomach issues not back to bed until 6 AM.
                        20g beef jerky
                        70g zucchini quiche
                        150g broccoli
                        3 slices bacon
                        4g butter on broccoli
                        96g Apple

1 slice cheese.
                        115g Salmon burger
                        65g Guacamole
                        50g marinated mushrooms
                        40g marinated olives
                        130g Yogurt
                        30g Almonds
                        20g Chocolate
                        75g coconut milk
                        50g milk 2%

October 25
                        100 g egg 12,2,11 - 160
                        28 g milk 1,2,1 - 21
                        36 g cheese 9,1,8 - 101
                        5 g coconut oil 5,0,0 - 45
                        150 g yogurt 4,12,6 - 108
                        125 g pumpkin 0.5,9,2 - 48
                        485 calories

56g cheese 20,2,12
                        34g salami 13,0.5,7
                        100g banana 0,23,1

70g coconut milk
                        50g milk
                        In coffee

Dinner
                        Chicken chili, zucchini quiche, broccoli, cheese in chili.
                        Chocolate for dessert.
                        70g coconut milk
                        50g milk
                        In coffee

October 26
                        100 g yogurt
                        60 g pumpkin
                        28 g almonds

KTs BBQ ribs, hot link, coleslaw.

Grand view, Cx bleu salad
                        2 martinis
                        Coffee w/70g coconut, 50g milk

October 27
                        100g egg/cheese
                        100g yogurt
                        70g pumpkin
                        3 slices bacon
                        5g coconut oil for cooking eggs
                        More bacon and eggs at phantom 4
                        Coffee with milk.

3 or 4 beers, maybe more
                        10 Cx wings with sauces

October 28
                        Starbucks latte
                        Wahoos Cx tacos with guac
                        20g chocolate
                        Home latte
                        120g BBQ Cx
                        90g broccoli
                        Cheese topping

40g chocolate
                        121g wine (1.4units)
                        Last edited by PBNewby; 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day. I will report my weight and the measurements from my belly and biceps. I took my first official measurements on October 3rd. Tomorrow is the first month since taking my initial measurements. I think things are going well, but wanted to jot down some thoughts here before the big day. I suspect my thoughts will be a bit different tomorrow.

This past week didn't go as we'll as I had anticipated. I suspect that is because for the first two weeks of being primal, I was taking care of some dogs, which meant I was walking them 1 or 2 miles everyday. And I was doing so at my 75% heart rate. I feel this made me lose more weight than over the past two weeks, and especially the most recent week. I also haven't done my sprints for two weeks. I have been lifting weights, and the past two days I walked 2 miles each day. But I notice my weight lifting plateaued, as did my weight.

This week, I binged on a chocolate bar. Ate the whole thing, all 90g of it, in one sitting. This was my biggest slip so far. The next day, I awoke with a bit of a headache, similar to what I used to experience when hung over from drinking too much alcohol. I am wondering if that headache was my body experiencing its insulin rejection or sensitivity. In the past I have awoke with hunger, and even stomach pains from something I ate, but this was the first time I awoke with a headache (since going primal).

Here is my food log from the past week. Looking forward to tomorrow!!

October 29
                          Yogurt pumpkin and almonds for breakfast.
                          Apple.
                          Salami, ham slices, cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, almonds for lunch.
                          Banana.

Catfish, broccoli, tomatoes, cheese, olives, salsa.

Latte with coconut milk/milk
                          Dark chocolate for dessert
                          Apple

October 30
                          Three eggs F18,C3,P17
                          four slices bacon (21g) F6,C0,P10
                          4 g coconut oil F4,C0,P0
                          116 g yogurt F4.5,C6,P4
                          100 g berries F0,C14,P1
                          28 g coconut milk F0.6,C0,P0

F33= 297cal
                          C23= 92cal
                          P32= 128cal

Steak and egg burrito at Moe's. No tortilla. No potatoes.

Planet Porter beer. Some almonds.
                          One dodgy avocado.
                          Salad with lettuce, more avocado, tomatoes, artichoke, olives, olive oil, garlics, etc. Trout with cheese. Sliced Tomatoes.
                          33g cheddar cheese block
                          29g dark chocolate
                          157g red wine (1.77 units)

October 31
                          40 g avocado
                          Three eggs
                          4 g coconut oil for cooking
                          16 g bacon
                          50 g Roma tomato

100g apple.
                          4slices ham
                          3slices cheddar
                          100g yogurt
                          100g pumpkin

4 BBQ ribs at Moe's.
                          2-4 oz broccoli casserole at Moe's.
                          2-4 oz cabbage slaw at Moe's.
                          diet soda
                          One glass red wine.
                          1 chocolate bar, ooof!
                          (90g dark chocolate, F36, C45, P9) OUCH!!
                          1 martini.

November 1
                          Woke with a headache!!
                          145g steak
                          2eggs
                          3slices bacon
                          80g steamed broccoli
                          30g cheese topping
                          Butter and coconut oil for cooking

Handful of almonds 28g
                          Apple 60g

1/2 Snarfs Italian no bread
                          Handful of almonds

130g cooked chicken
                          130g broccoli with cheese
                          60g coconut milk, 60g milk in coffee

November 2
                          126g berries, F0,C17,P1
                          157g yogurt, F9,C12,P8
                          28g almonds, F14,C6,P6

Total F23,C35,P15
                          207 + 140 + 60 = 407cal

Some almonds
                          Spicy Italian sandwich, no bread.
                          Side salad.

60g coconut milk in coffee

160g turkey patty w/cheese/salsa
                          110g broccoli w/cheese
                          130g apple

150g red wine
                          30g dark chocolate
                          Last edited by PBNewby; 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Measurements on Oct 3:
                            weight: 80.9kg (178)
                            belly: 40"
                            biceps 12.5"
                            chest: 42"

Measurements on Nov 3:
                            weight: 77.8kg (171)
                            belly: 38"
                            biceps 13"
                            chest: 43"

Total lost in 4 weeks: 7 lbs

Eight days before I started reading The Primal Blueprint I weighed in at 181 lbs. So overall I have lost 10 lbs, but I did not take the official measurements unil October 3rd, so that will be the date I reference in my future measurements.

In other good news, I do 16 push-ups in the morning and evening, I just did 5 chin-ups, and I bench press 145 lbs 5 times (one set of five). These numbers are well above my starting abilities.

Being an engineer, and a bit nuts about numbers and graphs, here is one showing my weight since I picked up the book. Using some estimation, it shows my goal of below 165 by December 3rd. This means I plan to lose 6 lbs over the next 4 weeks. From my discoveries this past week (see previous post) I am likely going to have to step up my exercise a bit more in order to reach that goal. Mostly I plan to walk at my fat burning heart rate, 16 min/mile, for at least 2 miles each day. I am also shooting to bench press my body weight by December 3rd. Lots of near-term planning, hopes, and dreams!

Last edited by PBNewby; 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I can tell when I am in ketosis. My lower right side, near my lower belly, starts aching. Itching more than aching.
                              Does anyone else feel this?

Comment

Working...
                              X